Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Blind Behaviors

[DE]Glen

I was playing my fresh Xbox One account last weekend and I finally figured out what it was about Radial Blind that I found so odd: after being blinded the enemies would still run around and navigate the environment. As a console-casual I found this particularly frustrating because it makes the enemies harder to hit.

I discussed this with the design guys on Monday and I agreed to do what should have been a 15 minute job: make blinded enemies stop running to cover if they're blind (ie: stop and shoot wildly instead). Unfortunately once I started looking at the behaviour of blind enemies I noticed more things I couldn't ignore. Between other tasks I made a few more changes today to make blinded enemies a little bit more interesting:

In the next update:

- blind enemies will no longer run to cover (miraculously maneuvering around obstacles)

- blind enemies will no longer lob grenades with pin-point accuracy (for now they will not throw grenades at all; safety first)

- blind enemies will forget about the all-consuming desire to run to the defense pod no matter how badly they want stand next to it and kiss it

- blind enemies will attack nearby targets using sounds to guide where they think the enemy is

- blind enemies will fire weapons without regard for friendly units that may be in the way (sadly no team-damage, though)

DE Glen can you PLEASE play test this in a T4 Survival with 40 enemy's in one room when your laying down constant fire there all just gonna kill you it would be pointless using the energy if there gonna no where you are when your shooting.

Edited by mishmashmarsh

1: How do they have such good hearing that they can pinpoint a place to return fire just by the noise? 

2: Could you expand this to capture targets?  Back when I was using Excal, I would attempt to keep them from running me into a room full of angry gun wielding Tenno haters only to have the target keep running away.  At full speed.  While shooting. 

Good improvement though. 

Can't we get some artificial stupidity with this?  Like have them still able to run for cover but a large chance of running the wrong way, slamming into a wall or into the cover they were running for and falling down or over the cover (and possible into a reset hole, killing themselves).

fzzozlN.gif

Edited by KnotOfMetal

Oh yes! This is amazing buuuuuut :

I think they should at least have their accuracy decreased while blinded.

You see, Radial blind was excellent because of the security it provides, and if the enemy is still able to shoot at the sound with precision, bombards will still feel like a huge threat when I use it as a panic button... :/

From watching the video, what I felt was missing were some new animations to go along with it. They act too calm for someone who's blinded and guiding themselves through sound. Perhaps more "panic-y" attack and idle animations would be in order. Those would really make this change shine, I think.

Yup, it still looks odd, exactly like the enemy knows the location of the player, but "plays the game" and thinks "oh oh he blinded me,so let's pretend he shot there and didn't move. :D "

Mr Glen, I am happy you started to look deeper at the AI behaviour. If you do other AI workshops like this, good things will come out of it!

(No enemy getting stuck together during stealth,no enemy running in circle,no enemy walking to walls, enemies interacting with each other[military patrols maybe?], infested eating flesh together when unalerted, enemies fixing stuff...Oh the dream!)

blind enemies will attack nearby targets using sounds to guide where they think the enemy is

- blind enemies will fire weapons without regard for friendly units that may be in the way (sadly no team-damage, though)

This kinda sucks

I mean, now enemies will actually get a chance to hit you, which kinda sucks

Then use your melee? Powers? Silenced weapons? All of these things will prevent them attacking you back, Some way to try down play an immersion boost.

I like these changes, but if Radial Blind works as a flashbang / stun granade, it should blind and stun enemies. If someone throw at you a stun granade you will not only be blinded, but your ears will whistle and hurt and you'll fall on the ground due to loss of balance. 

Radial Blind should work as a stun granade:

- Every enemy who's hit by the power should be both blinded and stunned (not the normal stun, a nes animation who represent their disorientation, see below);

- Every enemy hit by the power should be disoriented: he/she shouldn't be able to ear anything due do the explosion, nor able to stay up, or move, shot a gun or do anything else for a while. They should only fall on the ground trying to take cover from incoming fire (that they don't know from wheree it comes because they can't ear or see anything) crawling;

- After that, every enemy hit by the power should be both blinded both deafened, unable to ear any noise or see anything for a while;

Edited by Latronico

This here makes the whole thing is a big fat slug made of spam level nerf.

Here's a better idea, Radiant Finish already makes enemies unable to move so all you need to do is just add no grenade throw and that's fine, no need to have 4 Corrupted Bombards firing a million rockets in every direction just cause of some gunfire 40000kms away.

- blind enemies will attack nearby targets using sounds to guide where they think the enemy is

only understandable because friendly fire is not a thing, how would they tell if it's a Tenno shooting or their allies???

again, it would only be a good thing if friendly fire was a thing

Why even have "post shock" blindness state? Blinded = paralyzed (and as announced, soon also open to finishers without augment needed).

What would augment do then? Make enemies NOT SHOOT or attack in other ways while blinded? ;(

only understandable because friendly fire is not a thing, how would they tell if it's a Tenno shooting or their allies???

They're blind, not deaf. Enemy guns sound different.

Why even have "post shock" blindness state? Blinded = paralyzed (and as announced, soon also open to finishers without augment needed).

Blinds should be separate from stuns. Open to finishers is another matter entirely; you don't have to be paralyzed for it.

Firstly great to see improvement on AI, just a major nitpick.

- blind enemies will no longer lob grenades with pin-point accuracy (for now they will not throw grenades at all; safety first)

They really should not be firing at all for the same reasons as they dont throw grenades, "safety first".

While the game knows friendly fire isn't possible the setting itself (thus the units) would not know that, thus if they fired in any direction they could potentially be shooting and harming allies.  Thus it would be a rare occurance for the enemies to actually fire at any sounds outside of simply just being confused.

This is especially true given that tenno will often use the same weapons as the blinded individuals allies.

Edited by Loswaith

They're blind, not deaf. Enemy guns sound different.

lol this is a higher level of apologetic behavior.

In the heat of battle how would anyone be able to recognize my Grakata from twoo grakatas firing next to me :P

lol this is a higher level of apologetic behavior.

In the heat of battle how would anyone be able to recognize my Grakata from twoo grakatas firing next to me :P

-You would remember where your allies were

-You'd remember that they fire in bursts and tenno usually go full auto

- sadly no team-damage, though

What? Why? 

To be very honest , before at least we were safe to extract or pass by enemies , now take this case , enemy level 70-80 ( you are almost 1 shot ) you activate radial blind and you still die , how fun is that ! If you wanted it to be fun , I would want to see when enemy is blinded they run haywire and collide with obstacles and fall on the ground and repeat ! And I am pretty sure you can program it that way, will take like 30-50 mins max ! Thank you! :)