The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Your Favorite Book?

Eldnacpeek

A Philosophy of Walking by Frederic Gros.

It pertains to me due to the recent hobby I picked up. Walking has definitely helped me a great amount mentally, it flushes my thoughts when I have either too many negative, or too many in general.

Randomly coming across this book on display in the philosophy section of Barnes & Noble very soon after taking up walking was a personal highlight of 2015.

Edited by LazerSkink

I'm thinking mine is All Quiet on the Western Front.

Despite being a fan of fantasy, this book really clicked for me when I read it for a report back in high school. I didn't realize how much I liked it or how engrossed I was until I read the remaining half in one go. It just struck a chord with me, especially at the end.

Anything by Bernard Werber (french)                              |

Isaac Asimov's "foudation/robots" series                         |  } nice thought material

Wataru Watari's "my teenage romcom is f***ed up"         |

Pierre Bottero's "Le Pacte des Marchombres" trilogy (french)

^ my favorite out of the hunderds of fantasy stories I read during middle high

thoses are all my favs

Edited by vazerd68

Anything by Bernard Werber (french)                              |

Isaac Asimov's "foudation/robots" series                         |  } nice thought material

Wataru Watari's "my teenage romcom is #*($%%@ up"       |

Pierre Bottero's "Le Pacte des Marchombres" trilogy (french)

^ my favorite out of the hunderds of fantasy stories I read during middle high

thoses are all my favs

Ha man "les fourmis" was so good.

Patrick Rothfuss' KingKiller Chronicles. Not yet complete, but the first two were astounding and the side book on one of the more mysterious characters made for a very surreal read, beautiful style to the writing, and a very in depth fantasy feel.

I have no favorite, as I mostly read whole series. My favorite Series are:

>Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

>Star Wars Republic Commando (including Order 66 and Imperial Commando)

> Skullduggery Pleasant

For single books, I loved Magicka: The ninth element

Edited by Skycook3y

i don't have one favorite book.

however, i do have a favorite series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Asaro_bibliography#Saga_of_the_Skolian_Empire

this is... very serious Sci-Fi. these books are a masterpiece. a complex universe, Sci-Fi that actually is logical and based off of something rather than 'because magic'... and subject matter that is really intriguing.

the story is a huge spiderweb, something interesting at every single step.

again, very serious Sci-Fi. it's not for everyone.

to be clear, this is serious in the sense of the Writer has a Masters in Physics, Doctorate in Chemical Physics... plus the rest of her background. i can't stress it enough, this is very serious Sci-Fi.

i've read most of the books in this series a dozen times, and each time, more understanding is gleamed from them, more of the universe fits together.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philp K. $&*^ (Bladerunner to all you non readers). Great movie adaptation too.

After falling more or less in love with the climax scene of The Final Cut version of the movie, I've gotta say that this is another rare case of liking the movie a lot more than the book. The book was good...Philip K. $&*^'s works definitely have a unique style to them, but I feel that the movie was translated extremely well, and holds up to this day. That final scene makes the entire movie, for me.

Kinda wish they'd do a movie just about Roy Batty some day.

Ender's Shadow

Definitely my favorite of Orson Scott Card's works. Some of the ones later in the series got pretty weird...but still quite readable.

>Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

That's my favorite Sci-Fi Comedy, and Douglas Adams' other work is great as well, from the Dirk Gently series to his work on Doctor Who.

Having said that, my favorite book of all time stands head and shoulders above the above-mentioned ones, for me.

51Xh5al%2BTnL._SX299_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

The Unabridged Edition of Robert A. Heinlein's STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND

It really speaks to me personally because it combines a lot of the elements I enjoy in works of fiction, be it games, movies, novels, television series.... It's essentially a question of what it means to be human as set to science fiction. The key protagonist, Michael Valentine Smith, is a human who was born on Mars and raised by Martians to young adulthood, and then brought back to Earth. He struggles to understand what it is to be Human.

Back when he first finished the work, Heinlein was afraid of religious backlash against it, because a very large part of the human experience is in dealing with the various facets of human religions, so as such the first edition that was released to the public had large swaths of that cut out, essentially cutting the book in half. The Unabridged Edition was released after Heinlein was safely in the grave, as per his will, and it's that version that not only makes more literary sense, but to me is a far better work of literature, to the point that I've consistently named it my favorite since my pre-teens. I also gained some of my morals and ethics and perspective from the book as well, or at least had some of them reinforced.

I really hope that a visionary director converts it into film worthy of it, some day...such a film might replace my Top Movie of all Time slot (presently occupied by The Razor's Edge remake with Bill Murray).

I highly recommend reading it with an open mind, like most works of fiction.  ;)

Edited by Meta_Nexus

You can't just have one, what is this?

Snow crash & Diamond age - Neal Stephenson

The Lotus War - Jay Kristoff <3

Mortal Engines - Phillip Reeves

We are our brains from the womb to alzheimer's - $&*^ Frans Swaab

Art of War - Sun Tzu (I find it interesting to compare people's translations)

Edited by Postal_pat