Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sword Alone

OriVerda

The Sword Alone was a good update. Melee weapons were always rather not necessary in the higher tiers, most of us either used them for coptering or on lower levels. Since back then we only had quick or charged melee, heavy weapons ruled supreme for a time. 

Then came melee 2.0 (and all the rage over farming stances) and it was great, then it became better because DE removed stamina. You can even attack air units with a jump attack. Now you can truly go melee only!

Or can you? 

One thing that has bothered me was a DEveloper claiming he cleared a good chunk of the starchart using only a Skana. 

In hindsight, I think we let the hype blind us regarding one thing which is kinda, sorta, pretty impossible to defeat melee only. 

Bosses.

Unless there's something I'm missing. Killing bosses  (don't get me started on their background, personality or mechanics) using melee alone is hard, if not impossible for the majority of bosses. 

Depends on the boss in question, a lot of the *old* style bosses like The Sergeant, Jackal, Salad V, and Hyena Pack are perfectly capable of being melee'd to death.

Their new "fancy" staged boss fights usually though completely give you the finger for even thinking of attempting it. It was bad enough attempting to pure melee Ruk or Kril... but its flat out mission impossible territory against the reworked Kela for example. (Mini-game flat out requires a ranged weapon.)

3 minutes ago, Rionat said:

I'm still waiting for a Sortie 3 Kela de Thaym assassination with melee only augment :^)

7 minutes ago, CRCGamer said:

Depends on the boss in question, a lot of the *old* style bosses like The Sergeant, Jackal, Salad V, and Hyena Pack are perfectly capable of being melee'd to death.

Their new "fancy" staged boss fights usually though completely give you the finger for even thinking of attempting it. It was bad enough attempting to pure melee Ruk or Kril... but its flat out mission impossible territory against the reworked Kela for example. (Mini-game flat out requires a ranged weapon.)

Glaive/certa will take care of tihs.

I'm still waiting for DE to finish stances .-. 8 with only 1 additional combo other than the EEE button mash, and then theres 9 with only 2 additional :C while DE makes all these new stances for new weapons and they all have 3 additional combos and they created a standard of "THIS IS A GOOD STANCE" :/

9 minutes ago, Rionat said:

I'm still waiting for a Sortie 3 Kela de Thaym assassination with melee only augment :^)

Actually the hotfix after they added assassinations to sorties, they made it so they cannot be melee only. Thankfully that won't happen.

44 minutes ago, OriVerda said:

The Sword Alone was a good update. Melee weapons were always rather not necessary in the higher tiers, most of us either used them for coptering or on lower levels. Since back then we only had quick or charged melee, heavy weapons ruled supreme for a time. 

Then came melee 2.0 (and all the rage over farming stances) and it was great, then it became better because DE removed stamina. You can even attack air units with a jump attack. Now you can truly go melee only!

Or can you? 

One thing that has bothered me was a DEveloper claiming he cleared a good chunk of the starchart using only a Skana. 

In hindsight, I think we let the hype blind us regarding one thing which is kinda, sorta, pretty impossible to defeat melee only. 

Bosses.

Unless there's something I'm missing. Killing bosses  (don't get me started on their background, personality or mechanics) using melee alone is hard, if not impossible for the majority of bosses. 

One word,

Redeemer...

Doesn't really count as true melee but still....

]\'[

26 minutes ago, Rionat said:

Goddess.....I just had that experience in a PUB match. 

I went in with Frost doing a Ice Impedance build. The person I went in with was using a Scindo Prime Trinity build....and no powers. I watched as this player chopped at Kela all over the place and got downed 25 times. It was nightmare in waking form. 

I would shoot at Kela after slowing her and the player jumped in to chop at her taking all my shots. No EV. No Blessings. Just chop chop. 

When they ran out of revives as I want down trying to get them up, they left the game.....with me having 1 revive. I have up and just laughed as Kela rained death on my Frost. Took my loss like a gamer. 

I can say some Bosses are NOT to be melee only. 

well I think if we disregard how melee stats are mostly lacking compared to primaries, and the fact u need to get close and there is only so much CC u can do with them, i guess they are NOT okay as they are, buff is needed for most if not all types

Primed Reach takes care of a lot of this problem, although that's not really a solution. They need to work it so that bosses have separate hit-boxes for melee and ranged attacks so you aren't trying to do a thousand pin-perfect aerial attacks if you're melee-ing a "hit the glowing weak spot for massive damage" boss. 

3 hours ago, Toppien said:

all hail the mighty glaive!! (and no i dont mean the chineese weapon)

actually Glaives were European, mostly being popular in France and Italy. the Chinese favoured weapons like the Yan Yue Dao. one of the key differences between them is that Dao (Chinese literally meaning "knife", they called just about every sharp weapon this.) is more of a cutting weapon, while Glaives were more suited to thrusting.

onto the main topic, it's usually well Armored/Invincibility phase bosses like Lech Kril and Sargas Ruk which are the problem, as well as The Raptor because it can fly. Lephantis is up there as well, due to it's weak spots being way out of melee reach.