Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are these new quests really worth the wait?

TheGodofWiFi

Just now, BornWithTeeth said:

Yeah.

Lorian, you said that you only started playing three months ago? Then I really don't expect that you would 'get' just how much of a bombshell Second Dream really was. Prior to Second Dream, the game was pretty much exactly what you said you came for, a fast paced, albeit pretty grindy, shooter where you can make your character look really cool. Second Dream was the creators of the game basically announcing that they were done laying groundwork, they were finished building the foundations, and that they were ready to begin truly telling us the story of Warframe. It really changed the game. 

For long time players, people who might have been playing for a couple of years, it was positively earth-shattering. To play a game for as much as two years, three, and then suddenly have the rug pulled out from under you, put face to face with, all of the goddamned things, after literally years of playing the game and thinking that you knew what was going on, a character creation screen? Yeah. That earns DE a lot of slack for pulling that off.

For real. I thought Natah was a big deal, since it finally brought some story into what was an almost narrative free slaughter-fest. But second dream was on another level. Until second dream, we had nothing but fan theories and head-cannon to explain what the tenno or the Warframes even are. I'm sure it was more impactful for us vets than it would be for someone who started on update 18. 

48 minutes ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

I joined only three months ago but from what i can tell, before the second dream there were no cinematic quests and major updates were rolled out like five times a year.

now de are a small studio when compared to other devs, so these new cinematic quests must take a long time for them. my question is, is it really worth it? I mean don't get me wrong i love this game and it's lore, but when I look back at all these previous updates it seems like de were doing a lot more before they got enough funds for a mocap studio (I think that's what it's called correct me if I'm wrong), thus gaining the ability to do cinematic quests.

the second dream came out in December last year. it's now july, Sven months later and we've only now getting the last part of a major update.

idk it just seems like de arent really fit for cinematic quests. they're definitely good, but will it always be half a year for each major update from now on?

Vor's Prize and Archwing were also called cinematic quests before they released. Didn't know War Within was coming with two quests, I keep on hearing just the thing involving the Queens honestly.

How has everyone here forgotten sands of inaros? Not as big as second dream but still great. 

And we've gotten a lot of major updates in the past 6 months. A major graphics update, a new star chart, a major sound update, a new pvp mode, seeral solid frame reworks, 2 new primes, an update that makes leveling more enjoyable by tying MR to starting mod capacity, and a very large amount of bug fixes. 

This has been a great year so far with more major content. I can understand the waiting fatigue for consoles though (I recently switched to PC after playing on console for 1.5 years). The drought between content there is harsher. 

The game is getting bigger and bigger. Each update has more bugs to fix, more content to balance (and balance around of), the list of things they need to be concerned about every time they change something in the game is ever growing. Quests or no quests, it's inevitable for major updates to gradually become bigger and farther in-between. It's part of the game's evolution. Case in point, back when I started playing, a whole "major update" would just be a new tileset, while nowadays new tilesets are only a portion of major updates.

All that said, I'd say yes, the new quests are worth the wait.

Edited by Mcl_BlueMadness
Better phrasing

Digital Extremes is not a small studio. It's nearing 200 employees and thanks to Warframe's success, it's growing. Cinematic quests are a small bit of content that's incredibly important, at least to me. Instead of going the generic way of making many quests that nobody would remember, they've opted for making very few but memorable ones. As the game is not centered around questing, it works well. Quests aren't really conducive to repetitive gameplay like Warframe's. Any other MMO is like this - you do the questing and then, once you hit repetitive endgame, you don't have anymore quests. Well, Warframe is only endgame in this aspect, with story coming out every so often.

I had read plenty of fan theories on who or what the Warframes are, but was not expecting to cry during the Second Dream quest. A game, seriously just a game that I thought was a cool space shinobi, action packed game with what I thought was standard mmo things (never played an mmo prior to this) made me cry. Suddenly being able to connect with the Tenno on a level I wasn't prepared for simply overwhelmed me, and still does! My girl is just being the best girl she can be, in the wide open spaces and dangerous environments that exist here, in a Warframe she thought she only was.

Don't let that hype get to you people... It'll only lead to fear, suffering, hate, etc... Yoda speech

Besides, I've always understood that out of the three part updates, Specters of the Rail was supposed to be the major one.

War Within will be one new quest and a new frame, and nothing more. And it aint coming soon. (Probably even after Nekros Prime) 

Edited by Duduminador

57 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Is that why you posted this thread right after a conversation in the Umbra thread on this exact topic?

In any case, nah, coptering was really stupid. It basically meant that everyone used long whipping melee, and didn't even use it for its actual weapon properties but for how fast it could fling them. I much prefer having Parkour 2.0, and also having fully functional melee suites.

I didn't think it was that big of an issue since only my friends whine about it. but since people on the other thread talk about it, it seemed like a real issue to me. thats why.

coptering?

40 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Yeah.

Lorian, you said that you only started playing three months ago? Then I really don't expect that you would 'get' just how much of a bombshell Second Dream really was. Prior to Second Dream, the game was pretty much exactly what you said you came for, a fast paced, albeit pretty grindy, shooter where you can make your character look really cool. Second Dream was the creators of the game basically announcing that they were done laying groundwork, they were finished building the foundations, and that they were ready to begin truly telling us the story of Warframe. It really changed the game. 

For long time players, people who might have been playing for a couple of years and who went into that without spoilers? It was positively earth-shattering. To play a game for as much as two years, three, and then suddenly have the rug pulled out from under you, put face to face with, all of the goddamned things, after literally years of playing the game and thinking that you knew what was going on, a character creation screen? Yeah. That earns DE a lot of slack for pulling that off.

when I mentioned to my mates that i would start playing the game they practically sat me down and told me everything important. the second dream apparently blew their minds cause they were really passionate about it. also i like to do some research on games before i play them so i spent a little bit of time surfing youtube about warframe. its really a habit that stemmed from playing dark souls lol

yea i heard that before second dream, the lore was pretty much non-existent.

Edited by LorianTheElderPrince
wording

10 minutes ago, QuietBiro said:

Digital Extremes is not a small studio. It's nearing 200 employees and thanks to Warframe's success, it's growing. Cinematic quests are a small bit of content that's incredibly important, at least to me. Instead of going the generic way of making many quests that nobody would remember, they've opted for making very few but memorable ones. As the game is not centered around questing, it works well. Quests aren't really conducive to repetitive gameplay like Warframe's. Any other MMO is like this - you do the questing and then, once you hit repetitive endgame, you don't have anymore quests. Well, Warframe is only endgame in this aspect, with story coming out every so often.

compared to a company such as ubisoft and other aaa devs they are small.

59 minutes ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

I joined only three months ago

There's your problem. For elder players who have been playing for years, any quest that answers questions about the Tenno / Warframes are a big deal considering we have been playing for so long without a whole lot of clarification as to who/what we are, or a whole lot of lore behind our enemies. For newer players, i'm sure quests like Natah and The Second Dream don't have nearly the impact they do on older players.

You have to understand that back before those quests, there was so much speculation for certain things. Who/what is the Lotus? Who/what are the Tenno? For years we debated and speculated for questions like these. To have them answered in quests like Natah and The Second Dream absolutely blew older player's minds.

And it seems like The War Within will finally give more information about the Grineer Queens, Teshin, and more about the Tenno. For those of us who have spent money and invested lots of time into Warframe (2066 hours myself) these quests are totally worth the wait and the effort.

Well, at the end of the day you don't need to wait anything. If you think you have done everything you want to do it in warframe you can play other games until DE publish something you will be interested in. Not every taste is same and some people actively waiting for lore stuff. Cinematic quests satisfies that need. They already added tons of new stuff with lunaro and specter updates which were originally part of the upcoming cinematic quest. Now we are waiting for the lore stuff.

1 hour ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

I'm all for quality story telling but waiting half a year for each quest? I know de work hard on them, I'm not saying they don't. but i feel like the wait for these quests really hurt the game overall. i mean the appeal of Warframe as an tpsmmo is that it updates regularly with fun updates. 

but since the second dream they've set a bar for themselves and imo it just seems a little high for a game of this type.

There was Sands of Inaros between them, it's not "half a year" for sure

31 minutes ago, Duduminador said:

Don't let that hype get to you people... It'll only lead to fear, suffering, hate, etc... Yoda speech

Besides, I've always understood that out of the three part updates, Specters of the Rail was supposed to be the major one.

Hide contents

War Within will be one new quest and a new frame, and nothing more. And it aint coming soon. (Probably even after Nekros Prime) 

Actually no, there will also be serious changes to the Focus system from what I heard, a new type of weapon (speargun) and a new tileset at the very least

Also, did we know about the stuff that we got in The Second Dream before it actually released? Cuz i surely remember that they didn't tell us most of it back then.

41 minutes ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

I was more attracted to Warframe because of how cool you can make your character look with all the accessories and the weapon variety. lores kind of on the back burner for me. 

I... cant say anything against that, because FASHION FRAME.

But, think of this: for a long time, before Natah came, there was a scarce amount of lore for players who have been here for years, and what I mean by "lore" is... you did not feel conected to the characters, they were just there.

You came for the looks and the action, but you didnt feel connected to the characters, we didnt feel connected to the characters, we couldnt relate to them, we couldnt find enough reason to care.

Then Natah and The Second Dream happened.

So, yes. A good story can make us care, it gives meaning. And I'm not talking about just games, but any story out there. Its the reason why we keep reading a book and the tales within past each chapter, we want to know more, we want to know how everything will go, what will happen to each character. It hooks us, makes us stay.

1 hour ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

I joined only three months ago but from what i can tell, before the second dream there were no cinematic quests and major updates were rolled out like five times a year.

now de are a small studio when compared to other devs, so these new cinematic quests must take a long time for them. my question is, is it really worth it? I mean don't get me wrong i love this game and it's lore, but when I look back at all these previous updates it seems like de were doing a lot more before they got enough funds for a mocap studio (I think that's what it's called correct me if I'm wrong), thus gaining the ability to do cinematic quests.

the second dream came out in December last year. it's now july, Sven months later and we've only now getting the last part of a major update.

idk it just seems like de arent really fit for cinematic quests. they're definitely good, but will it always be half a year for each major update from now on?

They seem to tie these quest to big mechanic changes. This is why this things take forever. 

They are also tied to reward. I dont think we have seen a quest just be a quest, a little story mission that you go through to learn new info.

If it was just cinematic quests DE would probably push them out 4 times a year but they have to worry about weapons, new frames, new missions, new in game systems, bug fixes. All of these things add to the game and make it much more playable. Also new prime frames and weapons that make them probably a lot of money from prime access packs and vaulted packs, frame reworks and game balance also. 

Well the only thing I can say is that it is worth the wait. With each major update come a lot of goodies. In this case we will get a new gunblade, a new type of weapon, a new frame and maybe the very wished for dual nikanas. There is always stuff to do in warframe while you wait and if you get sick of it you can always go play some other game or go outside. WOW! Who ever heard of going outside, just joking. It is always good to take a break from the game if it gets too much in your head. 

Stay safe Tenno 

2 hours ago, JSharpie said:

I can see your point, I do miss those quality events, but you're exaggerating heavily when you say it's caused all other content get subpar attention. Can you provide any examples?

the re-introduction of charge atks for melee, instead of a 'grand re-opening' they were just shoved in as a footnote, and as such, feel awful in their current implementation [clunky within the framework of the current melee system and no specialty mods to enhance charge atks specifically]

arghwing in general [remember how we were supposed to get more transitional tilesets/missions? flying into a fomorian and then going on foot? much/all of that was put on hold due to the 2nd dream, and even then, close to 40% of the 2nd dream questline was cut due to constraints anyways ; IMO the lackluster results of aquawing probably caused all of that to be scrapped, for better or worse =/]

look at the fustercluck around the WW and the SOTR patch, clearly there are problems when QA is not/cannot be given enough time to test these sorts of things b4 they go live

remember Nef Anyo? and Derf? what about his boss rework concept that was shown well over a year ago? or how about the Sentients? with a grand total of TWO units, found on only 3 missions

if i sound a bit salty, well yes, its becuz im confused and tired of DE not having any kind of consistency and/or a clear path

once upon a time we had a visible schedule, then it was gone, we used to have community hot topics, now they are gone

the cycle of new stuff being forgotten or left to rot while DE chases a new shiny begins to get old and wear on some vets like myself who have been around for the better part of 4 years

and FWIW i completely understand when DE talked about how they did not like how the event content was a one-off, and then wasted on future players ; but we've heard that they were/are working on a repeat-able quest/event/timeline system ingame for over TWO YEARS now, so clearly either that is not being prioritized or there is some other problem [and it is also sad that through all of the years and interesting events so little of those interesting mechanics have made it into the main game proper, ie the dynamic scaling from gate crash and breeding grounds is/was the perfect solution to mission fatigue and the 'grind' but neither of those systems ever went anywhere, sadly]

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

1 hour ago, CY13ERPUNK said:

-snippidydoodah-

There has been no problems with the War Within because it isn't out yet, and SotR was rushed because of TennoCon, they wanted it out before TennoCon for marketing, I don't blame them, they apologized and within 2 days the worst bugs were gone, and then QoL stuff was added within 2 weeks. There are 3 sentients, with another one to come with The War Within. Where is your proof of Second Dream content being cut? Because it was amazing, so if anything was cut then I didn't notice it. Charge attacks are fine with the exception of glaives. They work as intended and do a ton of damage. Also, the fan-made bosses were put on hold to introduce fan-made frames, and a new parkour system, new damage, new archwing, and a bunch of other stuff.

Just because you don't like something or how a company does something doesn't mean they're doing anything wrong. DE has done good by me as a customer and user of their service. More so than any other company I've had to deal with. Hell, warframe's support has done more for me as a client than my own bank. I'm not going to complain over little things when the over all game is still enjoyable for me.