The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Theoretically, why are there no "heavy set" warframes yet?

(XBOX)DerangedMime00

Couldn't say and wouldn't rule such never existing; but we would have to consider what the Orokin Elite considered ideal or ascetically pleasing. Remember that most warframes seem to have more than a little of their design in what appealed to Orokin Ascetic and ideas and myths or legends they wished to reference. Perhaps sources like Zhu Bajie to fit with Wukong and Nezha, though it would require understanding what went into their particular desired forms and looks.

As a fat guy, I just want you to know that I can't ninja. Fat guys can't ninja. There are no fat ninjas. Fat=/=Ninja. 

I mean seriously, if you build a bipedial death machine that slices, dices, and makes julienne outta just about anything within arm's reach, there's no way you're gonna say "Hey guys, why don't we hang about 200lbs of f**king uselessness off dis b**ch?" Can you imagine Survival missions? Lotus: "That should keep you going for a while. Except you chunky. You so winded I swore I had Zephyr on the line. You're so sweaty Hydroid is jealous. You're the reason orbiters don't have chairs. It takes two Operators to run your fat arse."

I mean, they'd have to bring back stamina just for this frame. And what kinda powers would it have? Passives?

13 minutes ago, jsnforce said:

Can you imagine Survival missions? Lotus: "That should keep you going for a while. Except you chunky. You so winded I swore I had Zephyr on the line. You're so sweaty Hydroid is jealous. You're the reason orbiters don't have chairs. It takes two Operators to run your fat arse."

Dayuumm all them burns though lol.

26ybwyeupYrY5R9Ru.gif

I honestly wasn't seeing that coming lol.

Just now, KFCfilmz said:

I particularly would love this. I can already imagine a chunky but funky fat ninja who kicks corpus robotic @$$ with a nikana prime haha. And to those saying he wouldn't be able to parkour, consult the gif below :).

Yeah, how long you think he can keep that up? That was a gif and I still heard his ankles split. I figure you can bypass the parkour issue by giving him an Orokin Rascal scooter. Put a basket on it. Maybe it holds extra ammo, maybe it holds cake. It holds cake. Do you think his Archwing would need a handicap placcard?

Obesity is never something that anyone should be promoting wether it's in games or pop-culture or anywhere else for that matter! 

I'm so tired of all this fat-acceptance bullsh*t. 

Edited by Ryddem

You do realize that a warframe very likely, is a infested living machine that is covered by armor and fuelled by a Voidpower Reactor and has been molded into shape with the use of morphics and forma?

It bends and breaks the laws of physics, space and time as well as gravity. 

A warframe is a steelclad god of war and death. What size it is has absolutely no bearing on its performance as a killer.

3 hours ago, Skaleek said:

Because being fat hinders your ability to parkour and efficiently move in battle. When you design a weapon you don't design it with deficiencies on purpose.

They are drones nothing is hindered. Mechanically, all that means is that a bit more power is needed for that. That's all.

3 hours ago, Inarticulate said:

Even with mechanically and magically augmented physical strength, you can't get around the fact that added bulk restricts the rotation angles of your joints by the simple fact that it gets in the way.

In addition, a bulky frame would require more augmentation to its physical strength to achieve the same performance as a lighter frame by virtue of having more mass to move, and a bulky frame runs the risk of the structures it stands on simply not having the structural integrity to hold its weight.

Pretty sure if you build a bigger machine you have to build the structure to support.

Pretty sure the designers of the frames werent 7 year old kids drawing with crayons.

3 hours ago, zehne said:

Because lore wise it makes absolutely no sense why a warframe would have fat.

Spoilers:

Hide contents

Unlike the operators, Warframes themselves are literally WAR MACHINES.  The keyword being MACHINE.  Last I checked fat serves no purpose on a machine.  Artificial muscle and armor plating makes sense, but fat does not.  Warframes don't need fat because it's not like they are supposed to survive the long winter months.  They are designed for short strategic missions.

Lore-wise it makes sense. They are drones, it doesnt matter.  This is why we have inaros and Nekros with their skeletal bodies.

Spoiler

Yes, bigger machine serves no purpose. That's why there arent big ships, big, planes, jets, helicopters.

Bulk makes no sense? Yeah, tell that to sumo wrestlers or the tackles in American Football.

Warframes aren't fat for a number of reasons:

- fat people are easier to hit, both with guns and melee.

- they move slower

- they might block narrow corridors, for both friendlies and allies.

- more likely to trigger lasers in Spy Vaults.

- more noise if they land from a great height.

fat just isn't useful nor desirable in a space Ninja, they are meant to be the ultimate weapon after all.

why is it when these threads pop up, people always go to th image of a guy who can barely walk, like being thick around the waste means you have to be a fat useless lump waiting to die...

i posted one of these threads and was attacked both in game and on the forums with people insulting me and making threats, i hope you do not have to deal with the same children i did OP, also i hope one day we will see a larger frame and people can stop talking so much trash

2 minutes ago, Mak_Gohae said:

Pretty sure if you build a bigger machine you have to build the structure to support.

And the bigger structure to support it would also need to support and propel its own weight as well.

Furthermore, you also have to deal with the Warframe's own structural integrity. The weakest link will be the first to fail, and that will almost certainly be one of the leg joints, which have to carry the entire weight of the Warframe crashing down on its small cross-sectional area for every step that the Warframe takes.

The human body gathers less fat at its joints (presumably so that the joints can actually move), meaning that as long as a fat Warframe is given human proportions, its weight will increase faster than the cross-sectional area of its joints, leaving structural weaknesses that require greater upkeep and a higher chance of failure. An increase in girth needs to be accompanied by a proportionally equal increase in the girth of the joint to distribute the weight it needs to support, but doing so limits the mobility of the joint by putting bulk in the way of its range of motion.

Taking into account the magical requirements, it's clear that bullet jumping makes use of Void energy; the Warframe's lower legs visibly glow when performing a bullet jump. The greater the weight of the Warframe, the more energy needs to be consumed to propel it at the same speed, resulting in inefficient use of Void energy that could be better spent elsewhere.

In the end, all you would get is a Warframe that is less mobile, less dexterous, more likely to suffer internal failure, more likely to fall through the floor, and has less energy to cast abilities by virtue of unnecessarily spending energy to supplement its chassis's mobility and probably also prevent it from collapsing under its own weight.

"Fat means slow and weak"

Uh.  Have you seen a 200-300 lb person move around?  They have plenty of muscle to do some damage, they are constantly hauling around another person.

One of my uncles is a big guy (big) and has no issue picking up a transmission from a full size truck and hauling it around the shop, and he runs fast.  And while he may not be able to do long distance running, if he was a Warframe - it wouldn't matter.  Why?  Because Warframes aren't people and don't have to adhere to the same physical requirements a normal human does.

This debate allways goes to prove a fat warframe is weak, slow and impractical.

It is the flipside of the coin where Nova is the other. 

Nova,  the girl-like frame with its long neck look way too weak to wield a huge battle axe or fire a rocketlauncher, but somehow she still do.

How? Because it is a biomechanical construct of geniuses. These are not humans.

21 minutes ago, TheyreFood said:

why is it when these threads pop up, people always go to th image of a guy who can barely walk, like being thick around the waste means you have to be a fat useless lump waiting to die...

Because that's the easy argument to counter since there's little to counter since this is all just personal views.

20 minutes ago, Inarticulate said:

And the bigger structure to support it would also need to support and propel its own weight as well.

Of course, again, why build something in a specific way and purposely NOT make it workable?

Furthermore, you also have to deal with the Warframe's own structural integrity. The weakest link will be the first to fail, and that will almost certainly be one of the leg joints, which have to carry the entire weight of the Warframe crashing down on its small cross-sectional area for every step that the Warframe takes.

The human body gathers less fat at its joints (presumably so that the joints can actually move), meaning that as long as a fat Warframe is given human proportions, its weight will increase faster than the cross-sectional area of its joints, leaving structural weaknesses that require greater upkeep and a higher chance of failure. An increase in girth needs to be accompanied by a proportionally equal increase in the girth of the joint to distribute the weight it needs to support, but doing so limits the mobility of the joint by putting bulk in the way of its range of motion.

Why are you using human biology when discussing warframes?

If we are going to do that then there needs to be a rework of Nekros and Inaros. Because they shouldn't be able to move let alone bullet jump around.

Taking into account the magical requirements, it's clear that bullet jumping makes use of Void energy; the Warframe's lower legs visibly glow when performing a bullet jump. The greater the weight of the Warframe, the more energy needs to be consumed to propel it at the same speed, resulting in inefficient use of Void energy that could be better spent elsewhere.

In the end, all you would get is a Warframe that is less mobile, less dexterous, more likely to suffer internal failure, more likely to fall through the floor, and has less energy to cast abilities by virtue of unnecessarily spending energy to supplement its chassis's mobility and probably also prevent it from collapsing under its own weight.

Given that stamina was a separate bar, im going to continue to follow that mechanic even though is not in play. The void energy reserve for movement is separate from the void energy used for powers.

And yes, this frame will probably be slow like Frost, and?

Weird responses, I was just thinking it could be kind of cool.

We have some weird totally not aerodynamic frame designs already, as long as the concept backs it up broad statements like "fat people can't parkour" are meaningless.

For example a bubble frame, passive could be bouncing after a long fall or hitting a wall at high speeds.

Fat frame for fat frame is dumb, but if they give it a decent theme (say a burly Norse dwarf), it could totally work.  I personally want them to make female frames that are not so centered on looking attractive, like a more diseased Saryn skin or heavily armored Valkyr. Just so they don't pander to the weirdoes.