Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does anyone use Primed Bane mods?

DEATHLOK

Question

17 answers to this question

A Primed Bane mod is actually better than a second 90% elemental.

Using a weapon with 100 base damage,

2 90%'s = 100+((100*90%)*2) = 280 damage. Simple enough.

1 90% + P Bane = (100+(100*90%))*155% = 294.5 damage. Not that much extra, but when you start piling on even more damage mods the difference becomes more and more obvious.

3 90%'s + P Bane = 100+((100*90%)*3)*155% = 518.5, 58.5 more damage than you would have with 4 90%'s.

Edit, as pointed out I got the above slightly wrong, missed a couple of brackets. The correct formula is (100+((100*90%)*3)*155% which does equal 573.5, 113.5 more damage than you would have with 4 90%'s. Moar damage!

For a community that is often considered to only care about damage numbers, the reaction to these mods has been rather funny.

The Corpus one is phenomenal, afaik most of us run toxin on our weapons to ignore the shields and therefore we can't have 2 different types of elemental damage. This is a fantastic addition.

Guess what I want to say is, don't fly off the handle without actually thinking about things, these mods are a nice addition.

It depends on the weapon. They're optimal for some. Just good on others. They are not worth it for me. I like to fight pretty high level enemies, and the boosts I get from status make almost all of my builds better without those. (I calculate the relative boosts of each mod or combinations of mods.)

Edited by (PS4)Darth-Escar

They can be really good. The main thing is just whether or not you're willing to spend the resources to level them up, considering they are fairly situational.

Personally I think the corpus faction mods are the most useful ones. A lot of the time I want to run pure toxin against high level corpus and these mods are really good to go along with a setup like that.

Short answer: yes, they're worth it.

They're a huge resource sink to level up, so that must be kept in mind. If you've the means, they're worth it, but I wouldn't bankrupt myself leveling them up.

I use them on particular weapons that can spare an elemental slot. They don't typically fit in very well on crit-based weapons, since they require so many other mods. Also, I tend to use them on weapons that I only use against one faction, for the obvious reasons. I don't use them against corrupted. If you're hitting the void or doing trace runs, then something else is indicated, though this is also dependent on enemy level.

Enemy level always matters. If the missions are fairly low level (below 40ish), why bother? If you know you're facing high level enemies (sorties), then, yes, they're worth looking at.

Edited by Sloan441
Clarity.

I have all three Primed Bane mods maxed and use them whenever possible.

Not only do they add a nice amount of damage but they're an ideal option to replace Heavy Cal or Bladed Rounds on many builds.

The only place I don't use them is for Void and that's for obvious reasons.

They fit in 90% of primary weapon builds and they keep your elemental status "clean" by not adding needless elements to clutter your proc rates.

I will try to explain it simple: The bane mods's damage is applied after the whole damage, so you have to calculate first the base/end damage with the mods, then the bane damage.

Imagine we have a wepon with base damage 100, then 8 mods that adds 90% damage that's 100 x 1.9 x 8 = 1520 . Now we remove one of those and we add a bane mod that adds 50% damage. That's (100 x 1.9 x 7) x 1.5 = 1995

So, you can see, that a bane mod adding 50% is better than a mod that adds 90%

A lot of people are partial to crit weapons, which makes modding a little limited.  Even on status builds it can be hard to add a bane mod, much less polarizing a slot for one.  Also, there would be A LOT more people that would use bane mods if they had one for corrupted orokin enemies.  Since you would have to forma a slot for every enemy but corrupted, this would exclude a faction (and a rather popular one for most people).  Ever since relics came out these mods have become more popular, but even during relic missions they can be rather useless.  

if you're strictly fighting a single Health Type (or the only differing one is Trash Units since they generally don't matter), they're excellent. 

the complication comes with that Players are often fighting more than one Health Type in a Mission, which means that it has to replace your fourth Elemental, rather than your third in order to have a practical Loadout (unless you are someone that dedicates a gun to a specific Enemy group, and your other to the rest).

Crit Weapons will find it hard to find space for them, as you have one Mod Slot to work with to put it in, so it must replace any Utility Mod you might have had on there to work.

Anti-Faction Mods are notably better than random people would tell you, but at the same time, they also aren't quite as good as those trying to explain why they're good would say. but more in between that.

the most common situation where Players will desire more Damage, is vs Grineer ofcourse for that Armor - but to deal relevant Damage to both Ferrite and Alloy Armored Enemies, you need atleast 3 Elementals. so Anti-Grineer has to be effectively your fourth Elemental.
however, if their Armor is stripped beforehand, then it's Viral for everything and then it's totally superb. but at the same time.... in most Missions you probably don't need them anymore, since you stripped all of their Armor away first! now they're just like Corpus and Infested, manageable to Kill at most any reasonable Level.

(i approve of using Anti-Corpus for Loadouts that feature significant Toxin (plus another Elemental Damage Type if possible), i use them for that sometimes myself though it's much less common than Anti-Grineer)

the reader's digest to that is math that claims Anti-Faction is better than a second Elemental is fundamentally false because it ignores Enemy Resistances, which is why two Elementals are such a fundamental part of Damage. and things are complicated for being better than a third Elemental.
but they're certainly effective.