Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Update 20] Octavia Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

I don't see why.

There are certain pieces that really don't work on her, as my friends and I found out the Spiderman theme is not something you can listen to on Octavia for more than 5 minutes without wanting to tear your ears off.
But things that you can tune out as background music are perfect!

The Mortal Kombat theme is the best I've found so far, though I'd say just about any BGM from any game would be fine.

Her abilities are great, the 3rd ability that has you doing things in time with the music is fantastic, so it would be outright gimping yourself to mute.

1 hour ago, tribal556 said:

if everyone is going to mute this specific ("muscial") warframe sooner or later...is it a fail ?

Not only did I know that you could, I don't know why it matters? 

I don't hear many blatantly S#&$ musical tracks, that have no effort put forth. Though I do see a lot of high BPM tracks that annoy me; trying to crouch on time seems to be sensitive and you have to hold the button before it starts or something. Regardless, I don't even try with songs that are too fast anymore.

Onto the actual point... No. Her kit is still amazing. They've made visual cues as well so that deaf Tenno can still utilize her skillset. She does her point and is one of the better, more engaging frames in the game as I can see it that doesn't just fall behind, become too niche or situational to use, or is outright OP. 

It checks all the boxes. 

Now, I love Octavia, great Warframe and everything, but the third ability...

I LOVE IT!

BUT!

I find I only ever use the crouch option on it. Why? Because that's the only thing that can be properly timed to any beat the machinations of my inner mind spits onto that mandachord.

Many weapons don't work for the multishot buff or the melee damage buff, JUST because of fire rate and swing time, and it's awful.

You ever tried to get a multishot buff using a Tiberon? You don't (e_e ) The first shot fires and the next consecutive shots tear away any progress you may have made on activating the buff XD

Jumping is also a bit of an issue, but that's probably just me sucking at timing double jumps.

Anyhoo, I say that rather than firing a gun to the beat, you aim down the sights to the beat.

Rather than swinging a weapon to the beat, block to the beat.

Both of those actions have no real differentiating timing, and can be repeated with ease.

I do feel that this could make Octavia's 3rd a LOT more useful. I like my invisibility as much as the next guy, but I would like to get the other buffs going too ;D

Edited by turboturkey3000

IMO, Metronome's buffs are too unreliable to get without resorting to making a mess of the Melody section with notes on every line. I feel that one change is needed to make it easier for teammates to beat-match to your song and get buffs frequently and reliably:

• Sync % should not decrease if you were off by a bit, only increase with the amount varying depending on your timing to the beat.

This change makes actual songs in the Melody section viable, since you're always progressing toward a Metronome buff when performing the required actions and not regressing when accidentally missing a beat or two.

I can also get behind the action changes you suggested. Part of the reason I use crouch a lot is because it can done at all times (on ground, in mid-air, while shooting, etc) and at a consistently quick pace that helps me recover sync if I miss a beat or two; plus, invisibility is a great buff in and of itself. Aiming and blocking are much better actions to perform for this type of ability.

Mallet and resonator don't require you to create a special music or perform special action. Why does octavia's 3?

I guess the answer is: "because group invisibility is far too powerful". But forcing players to play sh$tty music (and remove the sound), and giving the invi only to the people who know they have to spam the crouch button, doesn't make group invi less powerful. It just make people play sh$tty melody (and remove the sound), and people who know about Octavia spam the crouch button and become invisible.

Octavia's 3 shouldn't force people to use a certain kind of music nor force people to spam some button (at most, it should be something like "you have to spend 1 second dancing"). And the ability should be balanced without using any of this nonsense.

I saw a youtube video with someone explaining how he plays octavia. He had the buff always max, while killing enemies non-stop... and he was explaining he was dancing.

I still think the mechanic of octavia's 3 doesn't make sense in the context of the game. But for some people, this allow for an unique gameplay - probably because the mechanic doesn't make sense in the context of the game - , a gameplay that doesn't exist in any other part part of the game. This simple fact, the fact such person have access to an unique gamplay, is far more important than my opinion - i really like Octavia, but I use it as any other buffer/cc frame.

So I take back my feedback: Octavia's 3 seems to be unique and awesome for people who understand how to use it.

Edited by mplokijuhygtfrdeszqa

There was an Octavia I fondly recall playing with who had created their song entirely based on making it easy for teammates to access the buffs.  It sounded like a couple cats clawing each other to death in a trash can knocked it over and panicked, but man, those buffs were so beautifully easy to apply.  Naturally I hit 'mute octavia' in options and then kuva farmed with this dude for hours.

All this to illustrate a point: It's an option you can turn 'on' and 'off'.  It is not all or nothing.  Sometimes you're fine hearing Octavias; while the community has produced some songs that sound like Limbo players trying to justify stasis, the community has also produced songs that are actually really good.  Generally I'll turn it 'on' if i'm playing with people I know who put real care and effort into their songs, and 'off' for pubs or when I've got other music playing during the game.  If you take issue with the fact that i can't hear your Octavia in a pub match then hey - link it to me.  I'll give it a fair shot.  It isn't personal.

I would like to see an option to make the muting option more easily accessible in-game though.  It's immersion-breaking and somewhat hazardous to your warframe's health to stop play just to pop open options to mute an Octavia that sounds like a car crash in slow motion.

4 hours ago, dopey_opi said:

There was an Octavia I fondly recall playing with who had created their song entirely based on making it easy for teammates to access the buffs.  It sounded like a couple cats clawing each other to death in a trash can knocked it over and panicked, but man, those buffs were so beautifully easy to apply.  Naturally I hit 'mute octavia' in options and then kuva farmed with this dude for hours.

All this to illustrate a point: It's an option you can turn 'on' and 'off'.  It is not all or nothing.  Sometimes you're fine hearing Octavias; while the community has produced some songs that sound like Limbo players trying to justify stasis, the community has also produced songs that are actually really good.  Generally I'll turn it 'on' if i'm playing with people I know who put real care and effort into their songs, and 'off' for pubs or when I've got other music playing during the game.  If you take issue with the fact that i can't hear your Octavia in a pub match then hey - link it to me.  I'll give it a fair shot.  It isn't personal.

I would like to see an option to make the muting option more easily accessible in-game though.  It's immersion-breaking and somewhat hazardous to your warframe's health to stop play just to pop open options to mute an Octavia that sounds like a car crash in slow motion.

A responsible octavia uses the tone you heard just with muted sounds.

The problem is it's an all-or-nothing option buried in the menu.

It shouldn't be.  If we press esc, we get a nice mute option for each player's voice chat.  Why not have an option to mute their mandachord in the same spot?

Is that on purpose that Octavias 1 will damage (and shrink) Nullifier bubbles, rather than being disabled on contact?

Currently being used to cheese the latest Design Council challenge.

I'm a good Octavia user. I max everything out so its buffs for days, but I turn all sound off. So its all silent. Invis can be maintained by just sliding or a few quick crouches. I also ignore power 2's existence haha.

Many people still don't know how to effectively use Octavia. You can tell it's a noob Octavia user when they are playing a default track lmao.

Yeah sure making music and hearing it is cool and all but it hinders the ability. People will eventually understand that, but for now we good Octavia users will have to continue cringing at the new users lol.

11 hours ago, Dwolfknight said:

I was using octavia 1 to get rid of sapping ospreys and noticed it as well, not really complaining but it should be fixed one day.

85t02.jpg

Spoiler

True ... :P 

Edited by achromos

Two more "layers" to bass and melody, with a major/minor key modifier for notes. Shift-click for example. Wouldn't require a huge rework and would really open a lot of musical flexibility. Would also like loops to be lengthened. I can work with 8 seconds, but 30 would be a dream come true.

Also a minor gripe with the Adau set's melody, the notes hit their audio "peak" a fraction of a second after the "buff beat" triggers, which makes it tricky to buff dance while relying on audio queues.

And who came up with the Delta melody set? Only use I could ever figure out for it was making a goofy pogo stick marching song.  O.O

Gripes aside, I'd also like to forward my thanks for what we DO have so far though. It's a lot more than other games with a bard of some sort.

Edited by Syncronocity

This most certainly has been said before, but I think, it should be repeated ;p : I would LOVE to be able to listen to my tunes, even if I don't play Octavia. I know, it kinda defeats the point, but still. Maybe even a consumable? A boombox, if you will. Not even necessarily for the entire squad. (And pleeeease, don't point out, that I COULD record my songs and then play then with a music player, while I play warframe :) ).

Edited by DjaAkh

• 3 months later...

When is Octavia getting a nerf?
A 40s stealth to all players, free multishot, TWO DAMAGE BUFFS ( cry rhino), and a speed buff (cry volt), on top of all that mallet- that scales infinitely with enemies.

Yeah lets nerf all the frames except the newest one.

Let Banshee still have Resonating Quake where she enters a map, pops an energy restore, presses 4 and wins the game.

Right. But limbo was too strong.

1 hour ago, Kusariyaro said:

When is Octavia getting a nerf?
A 40s stealth to all players, free multishot, TWO DAMAGE BUFFS ( cry rhino), and a speed buff (cry volt), on top of all that mallet- that scales infinitely with enemies.

Yeah lets nerf all the frames except the newest one.

Let Banshee still have Resonating Quake where she enters a map, pops an energy restore, presses 4 and wins the game.

Right. But limbo was too strong.

For multishot you have to sychronize your attack to the rythm and unless the octavia is playing that sound mixed garbage what has all notes ticked in you wont get that buff, also did you ever managed to get it on your teammates? It doesn even worth it.

The stealth is invisibility and thats all, unlike every other stealth frame octavia is just invisible and does not gain any damage buffs for it, not even stealth damage can be applied while you use this.

The melee damage buff? Lol thats impossible to pull off without specific weapon matching the attack speed to octavias rythm even as octavia i never found a melee what matches my rythm.

The speed buff, yeah have you ever seen octavias jumping like mad just to get it? Its useless and unless you sprint throught an area you wont need it and thats true for volt too.

Fallen_Echo- probably minmaxed his song by ticking all the notes and he is now defending a broken frame.

KEK mate, good job attacking me. Ill provide you with a video of unmodded(no reactor, no forma) Octavia obliterating survival ALONE.
Wanna see how you bullS#&$ your way out of that one.

28 minutes ago, Kusariyaro said:

Fallen_Echo- probably minmaxed his song by ticking all the notes and he is now defending a broken frame.

KEK mate, good job attacking me. Ill provide you with a video of unmodded(no reactor, no forma) Octavia obliterating survival ALONE.
Wanna see how you bullS#&$ your way out of that one.

First part exactly i minmax all my frames. Broken, you know what is broken? Naramon perma invisibility combined with blood rush maiming strike combo builds. No matter what frame you use you can easily tackle lv900 enemies with it.

Octavia is a  support defense frame designed to stay put around an objective. In solo shes great but not better than the eternal king of the solo runs the Rift surge limbo. Cant die, enemies cant hurt him and gets a horrifying damage buff from the surge augment.

Seriously what you think is soo broken on octavia? The damage absorbing and reflecting skill? It has horrible line of sight problems, cant kill targets 1m under it and fails even if just one player attacks the enemies nearby it.

The buff are useless with the expection of the stealth but as i said before its only invisibility nothing else, it doesnt even grant stealth multiplers.

The rolling charm balls just doesnt worth using expect when you quickly need distraction and even then its not an instantly working skill.

Her 4th is a great teambuff what requies you to stay in range, at max it has 35m range. Rhino can buff you from 60m and you dont need to stand still in an area to make it work.

Here some good long survival videos:

Nekros naramon survival run

Wukong survival (the video is short but hes killing lv350 mobs)

Ash 5h survival

Frost in wave 230

Ivara stealth survival 5h

Trinity 7h long run

Almost all player in these videos could have gone further reaching 10h and such but its pointless, but here now its your turn to prove me that octavia is the most broken frame ever because i really dont see anything on her what was not intented.