The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we just admit Oberon is a Druid?

I mean, seriously, lets tally up the list.

Paladin:

1. Names of abilities.
  2. Tabard-like cloth.
  3. Magistar? Sorta?

Druid

1. The Name Oberon, which refers to the king of Fairies.
  2. Oberon's name also correlates to Titania, the queen, who was released in the Silver Grove.
  3. Oberon himself was released alongside Earth 2.0, which emphasized, again, greenery and nature.
  4. Oberon's actual mechanics, ie direct spell damage on 3 skills, gradual healing over time, and pet-buffing are Druidic. A Paladin would be more focused on buffing allies, chunk healing, and physical combat.
  5. Oberon's Satyr-esque cloven hooves and digitgradeish legs.
  6. Antler Helmets.
  7. Tree-Statue in Maroo's Bazaar
  8. Lime-green Energy color

Seriously. He's a Satyr wearing a tabard and pretending at being a Paladin. Drop the pretenses, let him turn into a bear, and give us a real Paladin already.

Edited by Serialkillerwhale

Just now, saltygr33n said:

Oberon, the "jack of all trades, master of none". I don't consider Oberon a paladin nor a Druid, but 'I AM GROOT'!

See the above post. He is a tree. 

And notice the branch legs on his deluxe skin. He is a tree. Like Octavia is a banana.

Oberon is Oberon.

Paladin was just a name used to refer to him while he was in the developmental stages and has literally no power over his design. Druid neither.

Why try to pigeonhole him into cookie-cutter RPG classes, when Warframe doesn't - and never has - adhere to such archetypes?

Who cares how closely he resembles a Paladin or a Druid as long as he's good at what he does? (although that's an entirely separate conversation...)

His moves reference Paladin abilities from various rpg game systems; the game and devs refer to Oberon as the Paladin; and none of Oberon's moves have Druid themes outside his passive which Paladins would only have towards Sacred beasts or companions - a stretch with our lovable but degrading pets. I would love to see a Druid warframes later, maybe one that merges stronger healing; summoning beasts; weather control; and shape changing but Oberon isn't doesn't fit that theme.

Can we just agree that he's a Warframe? And that Warframe is an insanely unique game for what it is, both story wise and gameplay wise. Aside from Mass Effect Andromeda, name one other game that actually has anything like Warframe. Sure you could say he's a paladin or druid based on some stuff, but in reality those terms only apply loosely.

3 minutes ago, 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4 said:

Can we just agree that he's a Warframe? And that Warframe is an insanely unique game for what it is, both story wise and gameplay wise. Aside from Mass Effect Andromeda, name one other game that actually has anything like Warframe. Sure you could say he's a paladin or druid based on some stuff, but in reality those terms only apply loosely.

Though it might feel trite, DarkSector for one considering its origins. That said, no, similar to how Chroma is themed to be a dragon, Zephyr a bird, and Octavia a musical peacock; Oberon was designed around the all-rounder Paladin. That said, he has always had a nature sub-theme likely due to both the White Stag, a symbol of Paladin Orders and Oberon being Forest Kings.

Paladin.jpg

Pic related is Paladin, he's a cowboy, Oberon is a Deer man, cows and deer are both quadrupeds, therefore Oberon is a paladin. 

Have Sybaris will Travel
Wire Pyus
Larunda Relay 

Edited by Pyus

31 minutes ago, Urlan said:

Though it might feel trite, DarkSector for one considering its origins. That said, no, similar to how Chroma is themed to be a dragon, Zephyr a bird, and Octavia a musical peacock; Oberon was designed around the all-rounder Paladin. That said, he has always had a nature sub-theme likely due to both the White Stag, a symbol of Paladin Orders and Oberon being Forest Kings.

Never played DarkSector. Honestly don't even consider it as part of this game universe outside of some asset flips, which are just asset flips.

Just because Oberon is a jack of all trades doesn't make him a paladin. That's like saying I would be a paladin because I know how to build an Adirondack Chair from scratch and know how to cook. Just because the themes are there doesn't directly influence what it is. In some cases yes, the overall look is supposed to be one thing and the abilities are based on that theme like the frames you listed, but people look into it too deep. For example, Rhino. He's not a Rhinoceros, but he has Charge and a thick hide in Iron Skin. Or Hydroid. Barring that he needs a rework, he's like Davy Jones from the Pirates series, part pirate part sea monster

I always put Oberon as a Paladin. Mainly because paladins in most games seem to use a mixture of healing, banishing the damned and look like a knight in some way or fashion. We do not have really any "un-dead" monsters so cant use any miracles. I think his idea stemmed from some mixture of a nature defender and thus a paladin of sorts in the art style area. What I really wish he was made for is unlike Trinity who just heals outright make him something like a tank in other games with healing on the side, you know what they would call a Paladin or tank class with a little healing. There has always been a class in many games that works as a semi healer/battle mage of sorts and I think that's where he really should be put. Not as a jack of all trades. That stereotype about him has been around since his creation and intended or not has made him as "unlikable" by other players as he is today.

Every warframe can do things better, faster, or more efficient than him, thus making him in most cases obsolete. If he is going to be a paladin still make him like other games do like a tank/healer. If he is a druid then make him work around sending status effects back. Give the poor frame a class if this issue about him being "useless" will continue. It's just outdated.

1 hour ago, Serialkillerwhale said:

Paladin:

1. Names of abilities.
  2. Tabard-like cloth.
  3. Magistar? Sorta?

Druid

2. Oberon's name also correlates to Titania, the queen, who was released in the Silver Grove.
  3. Oberon himself was released alongside Earth 2.0, which emphasized, again, greenery and nature.
  4. Oberon's actual mechanics, ie direct spell damage on 3 skills, gradual healing over time, and pet-buffing are Druidic. A Paladin would be more focused on buffing allies, chunk healing, and physical combat.
  6. Antler Helmets.

Seriously. He's a Satyr wearing a tabard and pretending at being a Paladin. Drop the pretenses, let him turn into a bear, and give us a real Paladin already.

2 hours ago, Serialkillerwhale said:

Paladin:

1. Names of abilities.
  2. Tabard-like cloth.
  3. Magistar? Sorta?

Druid

6. Antler Helmets.

paladin

he damages

he heals

he can tank

dude shush

7 hours ago, Serialkillerwhale said:

Druid

6. Antler Helmets.

I honestly don't care what he's called... seems like a completely pointless and redundant argument...

What I would like to say is that none of the things you state about his reason for being a druid have anything to do with druids... Harrow is more like a druid.

A Druid is a high-ranking professional class in ancient Celtic cultures, and also of similar position in roman and other cultures...

Fairy is a mythical creature in European folklore...

So you're making a case for a fairy/mythical creature, then calling it a druid... they are not the same thing... Far from it... I don't even know how it is your are equating the two, all your points made exactly zero point for calling him a druid... Where are druids related to cloven hoofs? where are druids related to antlers? tree statue? What are you even talking about?

A druid is more like an old guy in a cloth robe doing seemingly mystical crap, telling the future and tossing herbs and birds blood at syphilis as a cure..

latest?cb=20150710202238

Edited by Carnage2K4