Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Are They Called "The Sentient"

BetaNoire

The Sentient are called so because as the Lore goes (iirc), deep-space AI drones were sent by the Orokin to survey and farm solar systems beyond Origin. Sometime later in the Tau system, these AI gained real intelligence and became sentient, hence their name.

I think they are called sentients because our main enemy who is Hunhow might be first sentient, he want to kill us Tenno (dat child who we players are)

Every living animal has sentience (hunhow hate us so much)

I think it may be good example

1 hour ago, BetaNoire said:

Instead of "The Sapient" as super intelligent robots?

Because they were originally sentient machines, though as AdunSaveMe brought up they became sapient.

Thus kicking off the old war because the Orokin set up an intentional trap so they couldn't return through the void gate(Aka solar rails).

And why are Grineer called "Grineed" when it should be ugly because they are. 

And why is Corpus called "Corpus" when they should be called GROFIT.

And why are... you know what? Screw this. They can call their factions whatever they want.

there's a reason for the names of everything in the Warframe universe:

- we are called Tenno because of the Zariman Incident, the ship's full name was Zariman 10-0 (ten Zero, Ten Oh, abbreviated to Tenno)

- the Grineer are called that because they are Genetically engineered (cloned), the -ineer making up most of the word, the Gr being something to give it a punchier sound.

- Corpus literally means "body" in Latin, and is where the word Corpse is derived from. the Corpus seem to consider themselves a civilized and intelligent race, like the Romans did, so it kind of fits.

- Infested are pretty self explanatory

- Orokin translates in Japanese as "golden family" (oro = gold, kin = family, also known from the term "next of Kin". appropriate since they loved gold and were a very close knit group of elites with a huge empire.

Sentients would be called that because it's what separates them from other machines: machines aren't typically sentient (self-aware), so this is basically their defining trait, hence the name.

38 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

- we are called Tenno because of the Zariman Incident, the ship's full name was Zariman 10-0 (ten Zero, Ten Oh, abbreviated to Tenno)

- the Grineer are called that because they are Genetically engineered (cloned), the -ineer making up most of the word, the Gr being something to give it a punchier sound.

- Corpus literally means "body" in Latin, and is where the word Corpse is derived from. the Corpus seem to consider themselves a civilized and intelligent race, like the Romans did, so it kind of fits.

- Orokin translates in Japanese as "golden family" (oro = gold, kin = family, also known from the term "next of Kin". appropriate since they loved gold and were a very close knit group of elites with a huge empire.

Sentients would be called that because it's what separates them from other machines: machines aren't typically sentient (self-aware), so this is basically their defining trait, hence the name.

Corpus litterally means body, or main body which in the time of the Orokin they were the merchants and movers of goods which is what merchants have always been.

The living body of an empire.

Edited by SilvaDreams

Contrary to popular belief, "Sentience" has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence. It just means something that has senses and reacts to stimuli. There are species of jellyfish that are sentient, yet they have no central nervous system.

On 5/21/2017 at 8:11 AM, SilvaDreams said:

Corpus litterally means body, or main body which in the time of the Orokin they were the merchants and movers of goods which is what merchants have always been.

The living body of an empire.

On 5/21/2017 at 7:34 AM, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

I took Corpus to mean "family" like a literal Mafia. For one thing we have a codex entry for Fusion Moa in which a young Corpus is taking with his father. He asks his father about what his "Corpus" was like. His dad explains that things were different in those days (cloning, genetic engineering, etc) and lowly people did not have parents. A little later one ship is in danger, on which the kids best friend is on. The kid is one of the only youths around and the only other he knows is his friend. His father tells him they will not aid the ship, and will instead escape. The kid says "But he is like CORPUS to us!"

The Orokin immortal gods were scared out o their golden minds that one of their creations would be their rival.

They were paranoid and selfish.

They PREDICTED that a living machine would rise up and turn on them, like it is univeral law.

So a corpus walker is dumbed down on purpose for example. A Cephalon is a slave, a sevant.

The terraforming living machines were therefore sent with a flaw to kill them basically,  because they allways were going to be the "Sentients we sent to Tau."

They had no choice and ended up with machines that wanted to live instead of remain slaves.

- Darvo said all robots have a chip that "keeps them under control". 

What do you think would happen if that chip was turned off?

11 minutes ago, arch111 said:

A Cephalon is a slave, a sevant.

That may not be necessarily the case for all Cephalons.

Remember, Cephalons are human derived, and per the What Remains comic for Suda, it's a state that one can choose. I'm willing to argue that the voluntary Cephalons had higher social status and rank in their role, compared to the involuntary cases such as Ordis.

Though then again, it comes to that question of how many rights or alterations come with the process. Ordis is fundamentally altered on the psychological level, so it's possible Cephalons may lose or have some...modification...as standard.

It's a curious question, really. The Orokin are disdainful of that which they consider inhuman...and yet they permit the Cephalon existence as something one can opt for, implying some level of respect in that case, you'd think.

Theoretical matter, either way.

29 minutes ago, Blakrana said:

That may not be necessarily the case for all Cephalons.

Remember, Cephalons are human derived, and per the What Remains comic for Suda, it's a state that one can choose. I'm willing to argue that the voluntary Cephalons had higher social status and rank in their role, compared to the involuntary cases such as Ordis.

Though then again, it comes to that question of how many rights or alterations come with the process. Ordis is fundamentally altered on the psychological level, so it's possible Cephalons may lose or have some...modification...as standard.

It's a curious question, really. The Orokin are disdainful of that which they consider inhuman...and yet they permit the Cephalon existence as something one can opt for, implying some level of respect in that case, you'd think.

Theoretical matter, either way.

I think it was an honor. Immortal like them, synthesised and stored.

I allso think Synthesis strips away much humanity and mortality,  and morality in the process.

Why did Suda do it? To save her mind. 

Why did Ordis do it? He was forced.

Why did Simaris do it? Obsessed with hunting and storing maby.

Point is, Orokin controlled them.

3 minutes ago, arch111 said:

I think it was an honor. Immortal like them, synthesised and stored.

I allso think Synthesis strips away much humanity and mortality,  and morality in the process.

Why did Suda do it? To save her mind. 

Why did Ordis do it? He was forced.

Why did Simaris do it? Obsessed with hunting and storing maby.

Point is, Orokin controlled them.

Orokin controlled everything, really. It's just curious how the overall society would have functioned when Cephalons existed within it as a distinct part, especially if people knew what they were originally.

I mean, do Cephalons on ships and vessels have essentially 'Worker rights' in that case? Kind of like Anne Maccaffrey's Ship who Sang/Searched texts?

As for Simaris...can't be sure as yet, but it could be Cephalons have their precepts determined by their interests or goals whilst alive? Unless it's a punishment, in which case they just make you enjoy the ironic existence they weave for you.

31 minutes ago, Blakrana said:

Orokin controlled everything, really. It's just curious how the overall society would have functioned when Cephalons existed within it as a distinct part, especially if people knew what they were originally.

I mean, do Cephalons on ships and vessels have essentially 'Worker rights' in that case? Kind of like Anne Maccaffrey's Ship who Sang/Searched texts?

As for Simaris...can't be sure as yet, but it could be Cephalons have their precepts determined by their interests or goals whilst alive? Unless it's a punishment, in which case they just make you enjoy the ironic existence they weave for you.

Punishment?  Hmm. Wouldn't they have done the same to Margulis?

Just now, arch111 said:

Punishment?  Hmm. Wouldn't they have done the same to Margulis?

Her sentence is explicitly death, and Lotus makes a point of her being murdered specifically.

"Seven hands raised! The sentence for your apostasy...is death!...Margulis...why?"

Comparatively, Ordan's is more fittingly ironic as his last act was meant to be fatal. So keeping him alive, even making him immortal, is a substantially more appropriate punishment for his attempted murder. Purely because it denies him not only what he wanted, but what he was too.

Add in there's the possibility that Margulis may be the woman executed in the Crewman Synthesis and well...considering the process as Ordis perceived it, I doubt a Cephalon can be made from someone that'd been vaporised.

And of course, narrative weight; Margulis' death impacts many things. To have her 'secretly alive somewhere' just nullifies any real value to it. Sometimes characters do exist purely in a posthumous sense, where their legacy retains a heavy impact long after.

2 minutes ago, Blakrana said:

Her sentence is explicitly death, and Lotus makes a point of her being murdered specifically.

"Seven hands raised! The sentence for your apostasy...is death!...Margulis...why?"

Comparatively, Ordan's is more fittingly ironic as his last act was meant to be fatal. So keeping him alive, even making him immortal, is a substantially more appropriate punishment for his attempted murder. Purely because it denies him not only what he wanted, but what he was too.

Add in there's the possibility that Margulis may be the woman executed in the Crewman Synthesis and well...considering the process as Ordis perceived it, I doubt a Cephalon can be made from someone that'd been vaporised.

And of course, narrative weight; Margulis' death impacts many things. To have her 'secretly alive somewhere' just nullifies any real value to it. Sometimes characters do exist purely in a posthumous sense, where their legacy retains a heavy impact long after.

I know and agree.

Still... Ballas is talking to a ghost while realizing he has lost his humanity and his soul.

But a part of me believe he staged her death the same way he staged Perinthols near death turned into the acceptance of the Starfish.

I think she really is dead, and her actions sent Ballas on a journey of self-rediscovery that led him to wanting to pull down the golden gods.

but none of us know.

Just now, arch111 said:

Still... Ballas is talking to a ghost while realizing he has lost his humanity and his soul.

Introspection happens to anyone and everyone.

Doesn't tend to mean much when we hear it squarely out of any context outside of 'I'm selling my current R&D work'

2 minutes ago, arch111 said:

But a part of me believe he staged her death the same way he staged Perinthols near death turned into the acceptance of the Starfish.

I doubt it, honestly. Ballas explicitly states he can't do anything to help her if she continues her work. Add in how the Executor's seem to work on majority and well...Considering how Ballas is quite the snake with how he manipulated Perintol's trial to look like he was losing, but ultimately won, I imagine that he would have been able to do the same if he wanted to in Margulis' situation.

As for Ballas and whether or not he developed a conscience...personally I'm really sceptical. Need a lot more material, especially some direct looks at his actual motives, than trusting the bleeding hearts on the assessment. Context is very important to make the argument one way or another.

Once again, all comes down to the same problem: We need more information.