Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

This Game is Boring

artemisfortune

I was actually talking with my friend a few days ago about this.  I asked him how would he feel if DE took a break from releasing new frames (aside from the primes) and actually went back to reshape old content and release new game modes/maps and lore.  Hell Harrow isn't even out yet and they already teased the 34th frame.  I understand more frames and weapons means more variety but that becomes pointless when we're taking the new frames to the same old maps and mission types.  

11 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

Why should the game only cater to new people?

It doesn't, though. You've just played too long to really enjoy anything the same way you used to.

11 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

as a veteran there is nothing left for me to do.

You realize that once you reach end game in literally any MMO you are literally just repeating grind and getting rewards you don't necessarily need for a possibility of a small statistical increase, or just for the satisfaction of doing it? Adding a flashy mission to do with some flashy rewards isn't going to suddenly change the fact that you're playing the same game with the same mechanics.

13 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

the reason behind this is largely us. The community. We're holding DE back in a lot of ways. I understand why they're doing what they're doing, but I still want to try and change it.

Calling the game boring and comparing your experience here with BDO, which is a fundamentally different game in almost every aspect, isn't the way that you go about doing that. You aren't encouraging discussion by going, "This game is boring," and then going, "yeah well I still think it's boring," whenever someone tries to reason with you on why you might think that because your OP doesn't have enough substance to really understand what you're getting at.

And now:

14 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

I've taken a step backwards, and what I say stands.

You've taken a step back? I highly doubt that.

You're saying you held this same opinion, in retrospect, from the moment you started playing this game to now? From the moment you discovered the way the game works until now? None of the knowledge and experiences you've gained over the years have shaped that opinion at all?

You're either lying or you're a fool.

5 hours ago, ashrah said:

i faced some problem..u log in and u dont know what to do  

Yup, I'm sitting there trying to convince a friend to play Warframe more, then I log in, and realize that apart from maybe the sortie (Which doesn't even feel rewarding these days, if ever), that I don't even know what to do in game. I have to actually try to think of something to do. 

And that... that's not good. 

Adding a new mission type was a good idea, the new mission with the even for Ignis Wraith was refreshing, very different gameplay, at least it felt somewhat different. But they won't add it as a regular mission, instead its apparently only going to be a super rare alert type mission. Sigh. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

1 minute ago, BLI7Z said:

Now that I calmed down, let me express myself:

Warframe is a unique game. It's pointless to compare it to other games, even if you talk about grind/enjoyment potential. Some people like the farm, some people like the flow of things in Warframe how they actually are, and don't forget new people who are starting to experience this universe as something totally new. What I expect from DE is that they just add and change whatever they feel like, and ADAPT to what they throw at us. I don't want to demand anything to them. They've done a great job with all they have done, and they deserve that we, as a "community" as people here always state, give them their time to polish and balance all they see fit. If you are wishing to discuss something relevant as feedback, please put the correct title, and make a difference between every part of what you want to brainstorm. If not it just feels agressive, just by the title, and the title is what is first seen. As I said before, fun is something VERY subjective. I understand the burn out of doing EVERYTHING in the game and having less and less posibilities with no good enough rewards, but that means that if you really like the game, you'll find your ways to have fun and push further the limits of what they give to us. 

I just think that if you want feedback/brainstorm, you should do it in an appropiate way, and not just denouncing DE saying Warframe is boring, and spitting a not detailed list of how to enhance what you wish to change. 

I will say it again, Warframe is a unique game, with it's own flow and it's own times for change. Don't try to bring pressure to the Devs, 'cause they know what they are doing. I know many people think that DE is just trying to do more than they can, and that this game is a mix of things that might not go together. But make this mental excercise: They are doing it the best they can and they are also humans with their mindset and things they want to do with their creation. 

If you want change NOW, that change won't be better than what we already have. Give it time, it is evolving into something not seen before. Enjoy it meanwhile, brainstorm in the correct way, and if you don't like something 'cause it's hard or not enjoyable, go to another game, or do another thing ingame. After all, it's just a game, a hobby, it should ba balanced and as most perfect as it could be, but it isn't a matter of life and death. Things work better when you give them time to be how they are supposed to be WHEN they are supposed to be.

I wish you all the best, whatever you want to do, wherever you want to go. I'll stay in Warframe as long as it exists, just because I enjoy it's gameplay regardless of rewards and/or balance. And I will embrace any change they want to make, 'cause I respect DE and I trust their decisions. 

And again, if you want civilized and organized questions/answers, be what you expect from the others, starting from the title. 

I'm going to sum it up like this.

Boring is subjective, that was my first line into the post. Does it being subjective change the fact that Warframe is boring to me now? No. Am I the only one who feels this way? Apparently not. Blind acceptance is not the way things get done. Every profession, every person, thrives on criticism. If DE can't handle their game being called boring then professionally they have no business making games. Your behavior is not excused because I called the game boring. Never once have I pressured DE, and I've said nothing but kind things, but I see problems, and it's my right to state what I see as a problem. As I had said hours ago, you're free to disagree, and pose your own argument as you have, but you do it respectfully, or I won't respect it at all. You didn't convince me the game isn't boring, you just convinced me you were angry and unwilling to have a discussion. No where did I ever say that DE was a failure, or terrible, or bad people, or incompetent. On the contrary, I understand why they've done what they've done, but it isn't going to stop me from expressing my displeasure. Without people like me, or any other person who posts feedback, whether critical or just bug reports, the game wouldn't grow at all. This game will always have a special place in my heart, and I think DE has done a wonderful job to date, but the game is stale now, and not just for me. It's something they should take into account.

However, I don't think it's fair to say they're doing the best they can simply because you don't know if they are. We don't really know if they're pumping out some of these updates just to appease us. We can only infer. I just wanted, and still want to, express my dissatisfaction with the recent direction of things in a respectful manner. I mean I'm doing my best here. Like DE, I'm only human.

1 minute ago, Chipputer said:

It doesn't, though. You've just played too long to really enjoy anything the same way you used to.

You realize that once you reach end game in literally any MMO you are literally just repeating grind and getting rewards you don't necessarily need for a possibility of a small statistical increase, or just for the satisfaction of doing it? Adding a flashy mission to do with some flashy rewards isn't going to suddenly change the fact that you're playing the same game with the same mechanics.

Calling the game boring and comparing your experience here with BDO, which is a fundamentally different game in almost every aspect, isn't the way that you go about doing that. You aren't encouraging discussion by going, "This game is boring," and then going, "yeah well I still think it's boring," whenever someone tries to reason with you on why you might think that because your OP doesn't have enough substance to really understand what you're getting at.

And now:

You've taken a step back? I highly doubt that.

You're saying you held this same opinion, in retrospect, from the moment you started playing this game to now? From the moment you discovered the way the game works until now? None of the knowledge and experiences you've gained over the years have shaped that opinion at all?

You're either lying or you're a fool.

Why have we resorted to name calling? Again?

For the fifth time now, I only meant to compare the grind. the gameplay vs grind isn't rewarding in Warframe. I feel like I'm slogging through waves of enemies to get what? A new frame? What for? Why do I need a new one when it does the same thing as this other one?

I'm not just spouting this game is boring and then leaving it at there, I'm giving reasons why I've come to this conclusion, and ways I might fix it. I don't know how to be any more constructive than that. If you want me to shut up, the forum offers a block and mute feature that will prevent you from seeing my posts anymore, feel free to exercise it. I won't stop talking about it though.

I'm talking about altering exist mechanics, mechanics that aren't fleshed out. I thought operators were going to change how I played the game yet they turned out to be one trick gimmicks. Archwing is still only in underwater missions which can be avoided, or space which yields nothing but mastery points. No one has tried to argue that the game isn't boring, just that I'm wrong. All anyone has said is "well you've played for a long time so" or "you've played too little so" and neither of those are valid arguments. I've put more hours into counter strike and I still play that game. I've put more hours into Diablo 2 and I still play that game. Warframe is the only game that suffers this problem in my library, and I've done my best to nail down what makes the game stale for me. If you don't like it, fine. You do not have to. Why you care so much about my opinion is beyond me if you don't even have the gall to show me and inkling of respect.

2 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

I'm going to sum it up like this.

Boring is subjective, that was my first line into the post. Does it being subjective change the fact that Warframe is boring to me now? No. Am I the only one who feels this way? Apparently not. Blind acceptance is not the way things get done. Every profession, every person, thrives on criticism. If DE can't handle their game being called boring then professionally they have no business making games. Your behavior is not excused because I called the game boring. Never once have I pressured DE, and I've said nothing but kind things, but I see problems, and it's my right to state what I see as a problem. As I had said hours ago, you're free to disagree, and pose your own argument as you have, but you do it respectfully, or I won't respect it at all. You didn't convince me the game isn't boring, you just convinced me you were angry and unwilling to have a discussion. No where did I ever say that DE was a failure, or terrible, or bad people, or incompetent. On the contrary, I understand why they've done what they've done, but it isn't going to stop me from expressing my displeasure. Without people like me, or any other person who posts feedback, whether critical or just bug reports, the game wouldn't grow at all. This game will always have a special place in my heart, and I think DE has done a wonderful job to date, but the game is stale now, and not just for me. It's something they should take into account.

However, I don't think it's fair to say they're doing the best they can simply because you don't know if they are. We don't really know if they're pumping out some of these updates just to appease us. We can only infer. I just wanted, and still want to, express my dissatisfaction with the recent direction of things in a respectful manner. I mean I'm doing my best here. Like DE, I'm only human.

I'm sure they have in consideration all the points you said. But as I said, give them time. A post like this only makes a difference between those who aren't bored of the game, and those who are. So being specific about each different issue is what I consider the best in a case like this, and not just throwing a mix of potential issues, everything will be deviated if there isn't a specific point to get hold of. I'm not fond of making criticisms to the game because I like to experience it and adapt, I leave the feedback to those who consider themselves fit.

Another thing that I see many wrote, is that the Devs should point us where they are aiming, so we don't loose our time giving ideas about things they are not willing to change or at least not in the near future. 

I totally understand that there are many things in Warframe that should work in another way for it to be much more fun/balanced/rewarding. But I also feel that this isn't the way to say what is needed. Each specific point is very extense to discuss and brainstorm, deserving it's own post. And again, the title should be objective, not so subjective giving the chance to the post of being deviated. 

5 hours ago, JSharpie said:

What's stopping Warframe from adding something new? Something varied? Something to do that isn't just a new tool to do the same thing?

I sincerely hope I'm wrong and it works out. I hope it's just me that has found this game to be boring. 

Sometimes introducing something new or making drastic changes can be catastrophic.  Look at Star Wars Galaxies for example.  I wouldn't expect Warframe to be anything more than what it is, a tps with lite rpg elements and online co-op.  It knows what it is and does it well.

Want something different?  DE gave us archwing, conclave, lunaro, captura.  They try, time and again, to add and support alternative ways of experiencing the game.  And if you watched any of Steve's weekend livestream then you'd know he has grandiose plans for new modes four, maybe five years down the road.

However, if Warframe's general gameplay is what's boring you then I recommend you take solace in the fact that there are thousands of other games to play out there in this hobby of ours.

What warframe needs to truly avoid burnout for people is to at least feel more like open world, bigger randomized tilesets using pieces of existing ones, really big maps where you can have at least eight people to sixteen or more. Customized maps where the players can choose their tileset, randomize it some, choose enemy levels, etc. DE needs to host some nodes themselves, and have at least a few open world nodes at first where dozens of tenno at a time can be on per instance of that open world node, and just run around killing stuff, getting loot, randomly doing alerts that pop up in world on that node. 

That would make Warframe way less boring. 

I think Warframe is a good game, but truly it's real issue is that everything feels very modular, and imo that is the greatest weakness. Warframe needs to inch its way closer to open world style play, for reals, as that is what will truly keep the game alive long term and keep it from getting boring for vets.

We have an incredible amount of people playing, huge community, and they don't know what to do. We have huge clans, but people can't get more than eight people together in even the hardest missions, the game doesn't allow for it. So you have a huge community, and all this content, but it feels boring sometimes, because everything is broken up into modular chunks.

Even in an endless mission, the tilesets can seem claustrophobically small after you've ran around it for a while and seen all the parts of it (most tiles really aren't that big), and you feel kind of trapped. It's a module again, you are stuck in another little module/instance.

Think of it this way: Warframe is like an MMO, but with no open world play. EVERY mission, is basically an instance, where you can choose to invite friends or end up with a small group. Focusing on this type of gameplay has killed a lot of MMO's in the past, because people get burnt out faster. 

You need to at least give them the illusion of an open world, because it makes the community feel so much more vibrant, alive and together, and it makes gameplay feel so much smoother and more interactive, instead of broken up into modular chunks. 

Even all the new clan stuff they are doing... it's like they realize a big issue for the game is community isn't dynamic enough, connected enough... but they don't realize this clan stuff won't fix it when clan farming for clan event can still only be done in modular chunks with 4 people in mission at a time. 

Now if clan could do a huge operation with dozens of people on a single much larger node... that would be interesting, and bring the community together, and make a reason for huge clans. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

5 minutes ago, (PS4)Magician_NG said:

Sometimes introducing something new or making drastic changes can be catastrophic.  Look at Star Wars Galaxies for example.  I wouldn't expect Warframe to be anything more than what it is, a tps with lite rpg elements and online co-op.  It knows what it is and does it well.

Want something different?  DE gave us archwing, conclave, lunaro, captura.  They try, time and again, to add and support alternative ways of experiencing the game.  And if you watched any of Steve's weekend livestream then you'd know he has grandiose plans for new modes four, maybe five years down the road.

However, if Warframe's general gameplay is what's boring you then I recommend you take solace in the fact that there are thousands of other games to play out there in this hobby of ours.

But it isn't the general gameplay, it's how sloppy it is. FOV is still widely uncomfortable at any range, with many things getting caught in the way. The melee system has been busted for at least a year if memory serves, with three major aspects being almost useless. Most of our parkour abilities simply do not work on the current tiles we have. Archwing is still stuck in it's own realm and yields almost 0 rewards unless you want to go through the JV raid which is still to my knowledge plagued with bugs. Operators can do one thing and one thing only, with all their other abilities being near useless. Focus is just busted with only 2 (arguably 3) of the 5 schools being any helpful. I'm not asking for the game to be rebuilt, I'm asking for it to be refined.

Edited by JSharpie
changed servers to serves

5 hours ago, JSharpie said:

So there lies the crux of the problem. This game is boring. At least for me.

No offense, Tenno, but if you're a Founder, that must mean you've been playing this game off-and-on for over 4 years. Are you expecting not to get at least somewhat bored of playing the same video game after over four years?

12 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Now if clan could do a huge operation with dozens of people on a single much larger node... that would be interesting, and bring the community together, and make a reason for huge clans.

That's a really cool idea, and I'd certainly be for it, but there's no way Warframe could reliably do this with its current peer-hosted setup. To make this a reality, DE would have to provide their own (quite beefy) dedicated server for it, which would mean players would have to either have an initial buy-in or a subscription fee, just like FF14 and most other large-map MMOs. That's a really big change that I feel not a whole lot of the community would want to support.

Edited by SenorClipClop

Just now, SenorClipClop said:

No offense, Tenno, but if you're a Founder, that must mean you've been playing this game off-and-on for over 4 years. Are you expecting not to get at least somewhat bored of playing the same video game after over four years?

There are other games I've played for longer. Neverwinter Nights, Diablo 2, BDO is coming up on a year and a half. Those games are similar to Warframe in practice, but I've also played CS:GO, I played tons of Garry's Mod when I was younger, Team Fortress 2, and while you could argue those are highly moddable, it's the core gameplay that kept me coming.

8 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

But it isn't the general gameplay, it's how sloppy it is. FOV is still widely uncomfortable at any range, with many things getting caught in the way. The melee system has been busted for at least a year if memory serves, with three major aspects being almost useless. Most of our parkour abilities simply do not work on the current tiles we have. Archwing is still stuck in it's own realm and yields almost 0 rewards unless you want to go through the JV raid which is still to my knowledge plagued with bugs. Operators can do one thing and one thing only, with all their other abilities being near useless. Focus is just busted with only 2 (arguably 3) of the 5 schools being any helpful. I'm not asking for the game to be rebuilt, I'm asking for it to be refined.

Ah, I can relate to that sentiment.  I share your wish for the devs to put more polish on what we already have.  You're not alone.

That's the rub though.  In 2016, the "year of quality", DE tried to focus more on fixes and less on content creation.  As a result, the community cried bloody murder for an apparent lack of content.  How does DE focus on fixes and refinement while keeping the wolves fed?

It's a difficult balance.  You could say they're failing or succeeding, depending on your point of view.

Edited by (PS4)Magician_NG

Just now, (PS4)Magician_NG said:

Ah, I can relate to that sentiment.  I share you wish for the devs to put more polish on what we already have.  You're not alone.

That's the rub though.  In 2016, the "year of quality", DE tried to focus more on fixes and less on content creation.  As a result, the community cried bloody murder for an apparent lack of content.  How does DE focus on fixes and refinement while keeping the wolves fed?

It's a difficult balance.  You could say they're failing or succeeding, depending on your point of view.

You're right, and it sucks that you're right. All of it comes to subjectivity and whatever DE decides is best.

1 hour ago, peterc3 said:

-snip

Game studios cannot survive with a single ongoing project, it's a death sentence. Keystone no bearing on Warframe's development, and vice versa.

Community managers have no ability to change anything in the game. They don't create events in-game, they don't really do anything but act as a public face to the game and try and keep things to a dull roar. How would community managers impact content for vets? How do they intersect with the ongoing development of the game?

I never said DE could survive on Warframe alone.  They've simply bitten off more than they can chew with such a small staff.  Last I saw, they were around the 200 employee mark, for everything, and that's not enough people to handle the day to day issues of so many players.  IIRC, last count of registered players was over 20 million and the forums alone has over 2.5 million registered accounts.  Even if they're only dealing with the highest total of people online on the forums, that's over 62 thousand people filing bug reports and making suggestions.  

So yes, them removing people from the support staff and repurposing them to another game, without increasing the current numbers, is detrimental to the existing game.  If they doubled the CSR's and the com mods and managers, things would probably be a lot smoother overall, simply because of improved communication between developers and the community, as well as faster fixes to small to major in game bugs, reducing general toxicity.

As to the role of the community managers; they do effect game development in that they take the most worthwhile game improvement ideas to the developers, they also highlight issues and major bugs. They are the interface between the developers and the community. It's part of their job to wade through the trash and find the best the community has to offer at the time.

Please note that I also never said in game events.  I was referring to the community contests that we used to hold and were lead by the community managers.  Things like the post card contest and the "make art of the Lotus out of food" ones.  I haven't seen many in the past few months tbh 

Edited by MagPrime
I want my computer back. Posting on my phone is aggrevating

So stop playing and wait until a new update happens...? Granted DE doesn't really do jack S#&$ when it comes to making the game more interesting as sorties are a joke, trials are easy unless you pub it out (lmao have fun with NM LoR), but make your own fun. This game will get boring just like any other game: GTA, League, DotA, Starcraft, etc. If the devs aren't doing it for you, then try something new, derpy builds, or whatever the hell comes to mind for a dumb idea and try it with some friends.

Seeing that you're a founder makes the post a little bit of a waste of my time as pretty much all founders/closed beta players are bored as hell rn, but still this applies.

43 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

What warframe needs to truly avoid burnout for people is to at least feel more like open world, bigger randomized tilesets using pieces of existing ones, really big maps where you can have at least eight people to sixteen or more. Customized maps where the players can choose their tileset, randomize it some, choose enemy levels, etc. DE needs to host some nodes themselves, and have at least a few open world nodes at first where dozens of tenno at a time can be on per instance of that open world node, and just run around killing stuff, getting loot, randomly doing alerts that pop up in world on that node. 

I think Warframe is a good game, but truly it's real issue is that everything feels very modular, and imo that is the greatest weakness. Warframe needs to inch its way closer to open world style play, for reals, as that is what will truly keep the game alive long term and keep it from getting boring for vets.

We have an incredible amount of people playing, huge community, and they don't know what to do. We have huge clans, but people can't get more than eight people together in even the hardest missions, the game doesn't allow for it. So you have a huge community, and all this content, but it feels boring sometimes, because everything is broken up into modular chunks.

Even in an endless mission, the tilesets can seem claustrophobically small after you've ran around it for a while and seen all the parts of it (most tiles really aren't that big), and you feel kind of trapped. It's a module again, you are stuck in another little module/instance.

Think of it this way: Warframe is like an MMO, but with no open world play. EVERY mission, is basically an instance, where you can choose to invite friends or end up with a small group. Focusing on this type of gameplay has killed a lot of MMO's in the past, because people get burnt out faster. 

You need to at least give them the illusion of an open world, because it makes the community feel so much more vibrant, alive and together, and it makes gameplay feel so much smoother and more interactive, instead of broken up into modular chunks. 

Even all the new clan stuff they are doing... it's like they realize a big issue for the game is community isn't dynamic enough, connected enough... but they don't realize this clan stuff won't fix it when clan farming for clan event can still only be done in modular chunks with 4 people in mission at a time. 

This is literally an entirely new game. This would make Warframe less boring, by making an entirely new game on a new engine with some of the current assets.

6 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

This is literally an entirely new game. This would make Warframe less boring, by making an entirely new game on a new engine with some of the current assets.

I disagree, and I think you are misinterpreting if you think so, but Warframe evolves all the time. Steve did mention once on a devstream he would like the make the game more open world someday with archwings sort of being used like mounts. 

Sure Warframe would probably have to survive for a long time to get anything like that, but it isn't like its something the devs would never consider. 

54 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Increasing team size based on clan size is something I've been wanting to see for awhile.

The biggest killer for my clans participation in the past events was that there was always one or two people left out because of the 4 person limit.  So they either didn't participate or have taken to playing with non clan friends.  

This is detrimental because we've lost a couple people to this.  They just couldn't get into running clan focused event groups and didn't want to solo or pug  (which is why they joined a clan in the first place)

Edited by MagPrime

1 minute ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I disagree, and I think you are misinterpreting if you think so, but Warframe evolves all the time. Steve did mention once on a devstream he would like the make the game more open world someday with archwings sort of being used like mounts. 

Sure Warframe would probably have to survive for a long time to get anything like that, but it isn't like its something the devs would never consider. 

DE hosted, open world maps with dozens of players. This isn't about what the devs will and won't consider, it's about what is actually being asked for. Steve would like more open maps, but actual open world maps are a fundamental change from what we see in-game and anything that has been shown in concept.

Hand-waving with "Warframe evolves all the time" is trivializing the absurd amount of work to throw out what exists and works, and do something entirely new.

10 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

DE hosted, open world maps with dozens of players. This isn't about what the devs will and won't consider, it's about what is actually being asked for. Steve would like more open maps, but actual open world maps are a fundamental change from what we see in-game and anything that has been shown in concept.

Hand-waving with "Warframe evolves all the time" is trivializing the absurd amount of work to throw out what exists and works, and do something entirely new.

Yeah, because DE has never done that before.

But saying that the game is constantly evolving isn't trivializing anything.  It's entirely true.  In the 3 years I've been here, we went from kneeling over a star chart with a handfull of limited use Sentinels to having our own, decoratable landing ships with free roaming battle pets (or fluffy babies)

Not only is that entirely new for this game but it took a lot of work.  No one is denying nor trivializing that.

Edited by MagPrime

6 hours ago, JSharpie said:

Subjective title aside, it's time I finally faced the facts. This game, from the start to the end, is the same thing.

You know, man... I don't think you are stupid, all the other things have sence, and i'm have same point as you mostly.

But, just think about it, it take few years for you to realise WF is boring. If i was a DE employee after this post i'll became happy.

No matter what you say more, only this fact is brilliant.

18 minutes ago, -JT-_-R3W1ND said:

You know, man... I don't think you are stupid, all the other things have sence, and i'm have same point as you mostly.

But, just think about it, it take few years for you to realise WF is boring. If i was a DE employee after this post i'll became happy.

No matter what you say more, only this fact is brilliant.

Fair point. It took me 4 years to think about throwing in the towel. As a fresh player this game has a lot to offer, but the amount of things is essentially finite, and once you have everything, there is little to use it on.