Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tennocon idea-make it playable-Playing As The Stalker

(PSN)Exia0321

Please DE figure out a way to make a mission mode where you get to play as the stalker. 

I saw Mogamu's video displaying that this opportunity was provided for a lucky soul during Tennocon. 

This feature would be so awesome to have in the game. 

Please DE figure out a way to do it...perhaps make it a very rare reward from the Sortie...seriously I dont know. I just want it as an option. 

To all the folks who will complain that adding such a feature would only encourage trolling....

1. Umm isnt that what the Stalker is?

2. Have you not seen the other countless ways players could and do troll in the game. 

3. YOUR MISSING THE FREAKING POINT! Playing as the Stalker would be absoultely fun. Not to mention come on, who loses to the Stalker now adays. Unless you are ruining solo and leveling up just the 1 weapon you are carrying (that happens to me a lot). 

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Exia0321 said:

This feature would be so awesome to have in the game. 

It really wouldn't. It would be hideously unbalanced, and barely anybody would enjoy it. We do not want to be invaded by players.

Also, just because there's already trolling doesn't mean you can't make it worse.

If this is added, we need the option to opt out of it. 

Personally, I don't want some jackass trolling in my quiet solo game where I am trying to just enjoy playing it how I like to. Much for the same reason I intentionally disconnect internet when playing Dark Souls. The regular stalker is more than enough for my tastes, let alone someone who does it solely because they get off on messing with people. 

You wanna have someone randomly invade you, be my guest but I, like the rest of this thread, seem to dislike the idea. 

As amusing as the idea might sound, I have to say No.

We have to take a step back and realize we're playing Warframe here, not Dark Souls. At a certain point too EVERY Rescue mission and "Protect Objective" mission will result in failure because players playing as Stalker are going to target those ones specifically, to maximize their Trolling ability. Stalkers will soon adapt two or three Meta Team Wipe Strategies, all of which will be spread through word of mouth/Reddit and Youtube vids, and a Stalker appearing in your mission will mean "YOU ARE GOING TO DIE so don't even bother fighting it". Soon after it's installment it will face Deletion for over-trolling and Team Wiping/Mission Fails.

(And that's the "Stalker actually doing Stalker's Job" aspect. I'm sure there will be plenty more "Stalker locks all doors and hides in a corner over and over" Troll types too, depending on initial balancing/bugs.)

DE always told us Conclave would never affect the core PVE (which was a promise they slightly broke by not adding Spring Loaded Broadhead to the PVE drop tables, but I'm hoping that'll get fixed when new Sentients are released or have it added to Baro's wares), so the fact that they let this "passion project" be made and shown at Tennocon disgusts me since it'll force PVP on those of use who would rather just have fun mowing through hordes of enemies.

I seriously hope this idea gets scrapped, but if it does get added, DE needs to let us opt out of it. I've seen someone show "concerns" over this mode being dead in the water if we can choose whether or not to let players invade our games due to how many people would opt out of it, but only a fool would use that as a reason to force it upon us instead of seeing it as a damn good reason for this idea to not exist.

Wow....okay so clearly I am in the minority here.

Well good thing I have no pull with DE. 

But still, it would be cool to be Stalker and go up against a full 4-person squad.

How about this compromise. 

The option would only exists against full squads that opt-ed in. 

I respect all of you who hate this idea. Yes DE would certainly need to allow people to opt-out of it. 

But I honestly would enjoy the chance to take on a 4-person squad as the Stalker. 

1 minute ago, (PS4)Exia0321 said:

But I honestly would enjoy the chance to take on a 4-person squad as the Stalker. 

You say this now, and I'll tell you want it reminds me of:
"Friday the 13th, The Game"

EVERYONE loves to be Jason......but no one likes having to play as a Survivor as an OP Killing Machine wipes you and your team out one by one.

That's what Stalker Mode would be. Fun to play and harass and Troll, but Not fun to be on the OTHER side of that coin when you're trying to complete your missions and you forgot to turn off "Invading Stalker Mode" (Or, maybe you have to leave it on to collect points Per Stalker Encounter to be able to play as Stalker again). Then it's Raging and Quitting and Forum Whine/Salt Posts because someone else Stalker'd you, and they were actually good at it. (Or, as my point I posted earlier, Everyone and their Grandma uses the same Meta Team Wipe Strats for killing you and your crew over and over and over again)

1 hour ago, Tangent-Valley said:

We have to take a step back and realize we're playing Warframe here, not Dark Souls. a certain point too EVERY Rescue mission and "Protect Objective" mission will result in failure because players playing as Stalker are going to target those ones specifically, to maximize their Trolling ability

We're playing warframe, not monster hunter but look at all the hype that plains of eidolon has brought. Warframe is growing and needs some stuff in order to keep players interested. If it's an open world area or an invasion system depends totally on DE. It's notlike they can't put sme punishments and restrictions to a player driven stalker to reduce trolling potential.

1 hour ago, Tangent-Valley said:

Stalkers will soon adapt two or three Meta Team Wipe Strategies, all of which will be spread through word of mouth/Reddit and Youtube vids, and a Stalker appearing in your mission will mean "YOU ARE GOING TO DIE so don't even bother fighting it".

it's funny to see comments like these after remembering the players claiming that stalker still needs to be frightening again and not by making him a bullet sponge that adapts to the damage it takes. That part of the comment only confirms that making stalker playable, even if it has some restrictions to prevent him from forcing mission fails and harassing newbies would make him frightening again even if the player using him has the aiming skills of a stormtrooper (and way more punished since stalker uses a bow and throwing knives lol), the intelligence of an infested charger and the parkour skills of a grineer lancer.

Now what if they use the code a different way. I'm thinking attaching it to clans.
First, only Clan admins can "stalk" their clan mates. (or by given permission by a clan admin)
Second. the "victims are given a prompt on if they wish to accept the challenge.
This is a necessity to curb trolls

Now to make this useful the clan admins can put any 4 of any trade able item or a small amount of credits (10k max) and use it as a "clan trial"
and it make it more fair, the "stalker" can only use a Preset Warframe

If this was a Conclave variant, I'd be in love with the idea.  As it stands, playing as Edgelord shouldn't come at the cost of being invaded thirty times in just as many sessions because people enjoy misery, pain, and suffering.  Or give us an opt-in or opt-out function for this sort of thing.

Against the tide of no votes, I'm going to say I would be hesitantly for the idea, as long as the stalkers damage and abilities were changed to only affect players. That way there would be no issue of the whole "trolololol just killed the hostage" or any other way to troll. It'd be a simple go in and hunt the tenno, as the stalker has always done. Only it'd probably be more fair since you'd be trading invulnerability phases and silly op skills for parcour and manouverability. 

That being said, I would still prefer if it was acolytes invading you rather than the stalker, that way there is always a different arsenal of skills and loadout rather than the hate/dread/despair. 

I think it could work with a few caveats:

• Stalker cannot interfere with objectives - having the Stalker pop defence points would suck.
  • Stalker cannot interfere with the environment - having the Stalker break corpus glass, hack bursas, trigger alarms, activate traps or void defence lasers or sit in line-of-sight of cameras would be irritating trolling. 
  • Stalker can only banish target's abilities - having the Stalker banish everyone's CC in any defensive mission would be the same as killing the objective. 
  • Stalker deals and receives vastly reduced damage from non-targets - nobody wants squad-wipe potential and it wouldn't be fun to queue as a Stalker just to instantly die to a tigris firing squad.
  • Ordinary stalker only and with a fixed loadout - players are hard enough to hit consistently and damage without growing damage resistances, mod setups could get out of hand on the Stalker. Especially bad would be riven'ed weapons, we don't want this. 
  • Fair fights - Have the Stalker scaled to enemy levels with their chance to appear based on target loadout/level-range synergy (queueing as a Stalker only to drop in on Earth at level 8 against fully-kitted-out players would be misery, equally, kuva-flood-level Stalker should only appear against players with a strong loadout).
  • Vanity rewards only - if I get a kill as a Stalker, I want the head of the frame I killed to put in my orbiter. Players shouldn't be forced to play as the Stalker in order to get meta equipment (or any gameplay-influencing gear at all, except maybe Stalker beacons).
  • It is not spammable - nobody wants more Stalkers than viable targets, have the mode consume a new resource that can only be acquired through targeted grinding (by this I mean: make it an item you won't get accidentally, have something equivalent to a Clem or Maroo daily/weekly quest, I don't want them diluting sortie drop tables).

Overall I think it could be a fun addition, with potential to make the Stalker threatening again and provide a fun experience for both parties.

18 hours ago, (PS4)Exia0321 said:

YOUR MISSING THE FREAKING POINT! Playing as the Stalker would be absoultely fun. Not to mention come on, who loses to the Stalker now adays. Unless you are ruining solo and leveling up just the 1 weapon you are carrying (that happens to me a lot). 

which, in turn would make playing as stalker is not as fun. After the hype is over, would u like to be killed over and over by other player? the troll would mostly be on u

2 hours ago, FireSegment said:

which, in turn would make playing as stalker is not as fun. After the hype is over, would u like to be killed over and over by other player? the troll would mostly be on u

I mean, this stuff is easy to deal with. Like I suggested before, give players the option to turn off PvP Stalker invasions; and don't allow PvP Stalker players to pick what mission they invade. You go in as Stalker, you don't know who you're going to face. Maybe it's one lone Tenno leveling up his MK-1 Paris, maybe it's a full squad geared up to fight Sortie 3 Vay Hek.

Throwing some Ideas around.

• Playing as the Stalker should be a reward in and of itself and not be given any encouragement.
    • Alternatively, Playing as the Stalker can be rewarded, but only if the Stalker player is up to gamble something in exchange, say, Pay 10k Credits to play as Stalker in a mission, 12-20k credits as a reward for killing the Target, no rewards for losing.
  • The target player can deny the invasion before it even happens, they're encouraged to accept it for a chance to get Stalker Drops (if Stalker is beaten, of course) but allowed to deny it if their mission's success would be put in jeopardy, or clean up the room of enemies before accepting.
    • Adding a Cooldown to the ammount of times you can be invaded in X period of time would be advisable.
    • Alternatively, if only players that carry/use, say, a Stalker Beacon can be invaded, you can avoid distracting players that from the get go want none of this.
      • The invasion item/gear can be locked to X buys/uses per day to prevent Stalker farming.
      • A Stalker Conclave move can be made available in case the player has already used all their daily invasions and still wants to fight Stalker-Players.
    • Only one Stalker Player per mission, and only if the real Stalker hasn't already invaded the player.
  • Instead of getting a Dispel ability, The Stalker is completely inmune to all Warframe abilities, and can see the silhouette of invisible players, much like a squad mate would, making it a mostly even field.
  • Stalker's health and damage output is determined by the number of players in the squad and the Conclave Rating/Riven affinity of the players Equipment.
  • Stalker and the invaded Squad can't communicate through Chat, and if possible, player names are not to be shown. "Stalker", "Target" and [Warframe Name] should suffice.
    • This, of course, in order to prevent unnecessary toxicity.
  • Stalker cannot invade determinated missions, or can only invade under specific conditions, to quickly exemplify:
    • Defense: Only inbetween rounds, Stalker deals no damage to the defense target.
    • Mobile Defense: Before, Inbetween, or After successfully defending a terminal, never During.
    • Rescue: Before reaching the Rescue Area, Stalker cannot interact with any Terminal.
  • Stalker cannot interact with anything that's not the Squad, since it'd be out of character for Stalker to suddenly decide to help the Tenno.

On 7/11/2017 at 4:19 AM, Twilightsparkill said:

Now what if they use the code a different way. I'm thinking attaching it to clans.
First, only Clan admins can "stalk" their clan mates. (or by given permission by a clan admin)
Second. the "victims are given a prompt on if they wish to accept the challenge.
This is a necessity to curb trolls

Now to make this useful the clan admins can put any 4 of any trade able item or a small amount of credits (10k max) and use it as a "clan trial"
and it make it more fair, the "stalker" can only use a Preset Warframe

Hell great idea. 

I will take this. 

Especially if you give people the option within the mission to decline the "challenge" from the player controlled Stalker.

12 hours ago, Jicematoro said:

Playing as the Stalker should be a reward in and of itself and not be given any encouragement.

• Alternatively, Playing as the Stalker can be rewarded, but only if the Stalker player is up to gamble something in exchange, say, Pay 10k Credits to play as Stalker in a mission, 12-20k credits as a reward for killing the Target, no rewards for losing.

Thank you for the great well thought out suggestions. 

I never thought of having the player Stalker gamble something. 

Certainly this would really decrease the Troll factor of this. 

Could it be a wager system. 

If I pick to be the Stalker I have to put up lets say 40k credits. 

If I fail to kill ALL the Tenno they (the players whose mission I jumped into) get a share of the 40k credits I waged.

If I win...S#&$ I get nothing (I just keep my 40k). Just the joy of being the Stalker and doing my duty to Henhow (which would be enough for me). 

I am glad others were able to see the possible merit of this idea. 

On 7/11/2017 at 5:48 AM, AdunSaveMe said:

It really wouldn't. It would be hideously unbalanced, and barely anybody would enjoy it. We do not want to be invaded by players.

Also, just because there's already trolling doesn't mean you can't make it worse.

player spawns as stalker:

sees lowest level player in your party. kills him and runs away, waits until you start to rez player.
runs in and attacks trying to take down second player.
if players stop rezzing, run away, if they keep rezing, kill other non target players.

when only target player is up, keep knocking down until others die. 

repeat until all other players are out of revives. 

run away and avoid player, be boring, wait for other players to disconnect, triggering a session change, hope this crashes map for player, causing them to lose everything. 

win.

OR:

just run away and hide until they get bored, waste 4 players stalker marks. 

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, (PS4)Exia0321 said:

Thank you for the great well thought out suggestions. 

I never thought of having the player Stalker gamble something. 

Certainly this would really decrease the Troll factor of this. 

Could it be a wager system. 

If I pick to be the Stalker I have to put up lets say 40k credits. 

If I fail to kill ALL the Tenno they (the players whose mission I jumped into) get a share of the 40k credits I waged.

If I win...S#&$ I get nothing (I just keep my 40k). Just the joy of being the Stalker and doing my duty to Henhow (which would be enough for me). 

I am glad others were able to see the possible merit of this idea. 

Maybe make the risk higher as both the mission difficulty and target rank get higher?