Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Discovering Hydroid. He is not as bad as people say

Kronxito

I put 4 formas on Hydroid for a CC build.

The results are really satisfying in sorties, he can CC entire rooms easily with his 1 and 4. If you are in a bad situation, press 3 and leave your team kill the problem while your CC is still active. So, He is CC support frame.

However, his 1 has a cooldown and also very low duration (even with 250% power duration). So, if you want to keep your CC active, you cannot stop spamming your skills. That means you almost dont have time to shoot at enemies.

This maybe the thing to be revisited. So Hydroid would be more comfortable to play with. Also his 2 and 3 need love. 

But he is nice. Lets see how DE reworks his skill set

2 minutes ago, DP_KRoM said:

The results are really satisfying in sorties, he can CC entire rooms easily with his 1 and 4.

I'll believe that when I see Hydroid taking sortie Lt Krill solo with a sparring weapon without radiation/invisibility, relying only on his inconsistent mediocre CC. 

32 minutes ago, DP_KRoM said:

I put 4 formas on Hydroid for a CC build.

The results are really satisfying in sorties, he can CC entire rooms easily with his 1 and 4. If you are in a bad situation, press 3 and leave your team kill the problem while your CC is still active. So, He is CC support frame.

However, his 1 has a cooldown and also very low duration (even with 250% power duration). So, if you want to keep your CC active, you cannot stop spamming your skills. That means you almost dont have time to shoot at enemies.

This maybe the thing to be revisited. So Hydroid would be more comfortable to play with. Also his 2 and 3 need love. 

But he is nice. Lets see how DE reworks his skill set

He's not terrible, I take him for a spin in sorties sometimes myself and I haven't even forma'd him, and he does alright. But he just does "alright" and lots of other no forma frames I own do a lot better. 

The problem is his consistency. As you mentioned, you put in four whole forma, maxed out your build, and you still had to power spam like an absolute mad man and didn't really have time to shoot enemies, just to keep a decent amount of cc up. 

His CC is simply way too inconsistent and takes way too much work to keep up to even a half decent degree. That's the crux of his issue. 

He's certainly not as bad as people say, nor is he useless or horrible. But he definitely needs a LOT of quality of life, and some real consistent CC. 

Thankfully Scott is working on it. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

i don't like the fact that tentacles can go somewhere on a wall and never hit anything for the duration of the ability just because there weren't enough enemies for it to interact with.

i'm not a fan of his puddle as it does what nyx's absorb does without its augment, all around cutting off gameplay in a fast paced game

his wave shouldnt have two variables to rely on for movement 

He has his upsides, but he has the most downsides out of all the frames.

His 1 is an inconsistent cc ability that doesn't do much and has rng on top of that. 

His 2 ok if you want to clear your status effects, but as far as cc,damage and movement goes, it's practically useless. Maybe if its distance wasn't so limited and affected affected only by either duration or range instead of both, it could be better. I`d rather they change it to something like Nidus;s or Harros's 1 so he just shoots a wave towards the enemies and applying certain effects to them instead of him going with it.

His 3 is practically useless. 

His 4 just like his 1 is inconsistent, it's disruptive to gameplay, it's too rng based and you have little to no control where those tentacles actually spawn. 

If you only want to throw enemies around, he is decent [though mag and banshee do that  with much lower costs], but if you actually want to deal damage or  support the team, not really. 

Hydroid ain't bad at all, I use it mainly for 2 types of missions:

1. farm -  his ult skill mod augment, gives any target his tentcles hit/kill an extra drop rate for extra stuff, while not as good as nekros, having both hydroid and nekros in 1 party is perfect farm combo.

2. lazy Interception missions - build your hydroid for duration, prime flow, efficiency and range; go to your spot, turn to puddle, and wait. - might need help taking them all down at the end of the wave if you caught a bunch, but basically very lazy way yet efficient of keeping your tower up 

also - if you ever run into stalker while hydoid with a group of team mates, you can turn to puddle, and stalker will just stand on top of you, letting your teammates finish him off easy x)) (works since abilities do not affect stalker, so he wont get sucked in, but for some reason he's unable to force you to stop being a puddle)

Edited by linoren

Status on guns is RNG based too.  You just need to fire more shots.  Zenurik focus, this build, and a syndicate weapon that restores energy too lets you spam Barrage, restore your own 'health', and heal team-mates.  CC doesn't need to be 100%.  You're still reducing incoming damage if you CC some of the enemies, and killing everything quicker because it has no armor also reduces the time enemies have to do damage.

Maybe DE thinks he was almost too ahead of his time, and now that we have more mechanically advanced warframes, they're giving him a bit of an update. Because I can definately see him as a supportive farming warframe, but maybe in a different way almost.

Edited by StryfeXD

Hydroid was never truly "bad". His kit is just very clunky and not very reliable. He's a very good farming frame. Partner him with a Nekros and you've got yourself the perfect farming duo.

Unfortunately like I said, his kit mostly relies on crossing your fingers and hoping they hit enemies. He needs a few tweaks and maybe even a new ability, then maybe we will even start seeing "Need Hydriod" in the recruitment chat more than once every blood moon.

I do use him from time to time just to increase the loot gain with Pilfering Swarm just for the lolz. Used him a lot during recent fomorian. 

While he's not exactly terrible to the point of being unusable but in terms of CC and damage he is unrealiable. His Tenticles only are guaranteed to hit the target they spawn on - bypassing targets are often ignored or their attack range is so small that enemies should be pretty much walking over tenticles in order to be hit. Another massive issue is that there seem to be limited amount of tenticles that can be spawned meaning that with max range build you will CC and Damage only portion of enemies in your range ... which can leave enemies unscathed in front of your face which is really annoying. His 1st ability is RNG based. His 2nd ability used to be great mobility tool now it's just weird way of knocking enemies down which i pretty much never use. 3rd ability has some uses. 

EDIT: Forgot to mention one of the important bits - his CC is annoying also just like Zephyr. Ragdolls enemies around which is worst kind of CC. 

Edited by WingsOfGryphin

I seriously dont understand the hate in hydroids direction. His one is so useful... Each hit does a guarantee impact proc and it covers a huge area. Add the augment and it's raining death onto grineer and armored infested. His 2 is meh... Ill give u that. His 3 has so much utility. Has great cc... Completely locks down infested... Prevents dmg and with the Augment heals allies... Just fun. His 4 is great at cc, can do alot of damage and coupled with his 1 can just wreck everything in range.

2 hours ago, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

I seriously dont understand the hate in hydroids direction. His one is so useful... Each hit does a guarantee impact proc and it covers a huge area. Add the augment and it's raining death onto grineer and armored infested. His 2 is meh... Ill give u that. His 3 has so much utility. Has great cc... Completely locks down infested... Prevents dmg and with the Augment heals allies... Just fun. His 4 is great at cc, can do alot of damage and coupled with his 1 can just wreck everything in range.

Both his 1 and 4 are rng based CC abilities. Enemies can literally move throught both of them without any problem.

12 hours ago, Fallen_Echo said:

Plenty of people say it, especially since his 1st and his ult are RNG based.

Ult? The tentacles spawn under the enemies, the tentacles will then kill said enemies.

But I do agree that the first ability is a bit too much RNG based.

13 hours ago, SeaUrchins said:

I'll believe that when I see Hydroid taking sortie Lt Krill solo with a sparring weapon without radiation/invisibility

Calm down, Tenno. OP literally just said that Hydroid's good for CC and support, not boss destroying. Right tool for the job and all that.

5 hours ago, Fallen_Echo said:

Both his 1 and 4 are rng based CC abilities. Enemies can literally move throught both of them without any problem.

So? They CAN but rarely does an entire group of enemies avoid his ability. One here... One there... Certainly not enough to completely hate the frame. Hes got great cc