Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What do we think about fishing?

Spartan336

PoE is most likely going to be great, but let's focus on a specific part of it. What do we think of fishing?

Is this exciting? Is this going to be boring? Are we going to complain that Warframes fishing isn't realistic? (No lol.) Are we going to re-name Warframe to Fishframe? Or are fish, dare I say, end-game?

"To win Warframe you must... Catch fish. It... Uh... Totally saves the Solar System. Yeah. Let's go with that. The fish were the true enemy all along." - Space Mom

Tell me what you guy's think of fishing down below!

I expect it to be a niche timesink, people who like fishing irl. will use or try this feature but since most people don't play Warframe for that..., same as mining.

These kinds of features were really rewarding in The Elder Scrolls and Far Cry games and were fun in many survival type games, hope it will have its unique features and not just-stay in the water with Pilfering Hydroid and Secura Lecta press E and receive dosh instantly.

Fairly sure fishing, mining, gathering in general will be used for items added in PoE (Operator upgrades, the anvil thing, new arcanes.) Personally I don't mind fishing in games provided it isn't tedious. Would I say I'm excited for fishing? Not really. But a "new" and different way to gather resources in Warframe is something I am 'excited' for.

Probably is a bit too early to make any tipe of comment about fishing. I don't really have any idea about how hard and how useful it will be. Maybe you have to use your drop to make new custom melees.

Edited by lelloforcee91

7 hours ago, Spartan336 said:

PoE is most likely going to be great, but let's focus on a specific part of it. What do we think of fishing?

I think it's nice to see Warframe bogard that Monster Hunter mechanic.

Gathering mats from the world environment and using them to create gear for our frame and operator.

Maybe there was another game before Monster Hunter that had this mechanic?  But I'm not sure.

Edited by (PS4)Magician_NG

41 minutes ago, (PS4)Magician_NG said:

I think it's nice to Warframe bogard that Monster Hunter mechanic.

Gathering mats from the world environment and using them to create gear for our frame and operator.

Maybe there was another game before Monster Hunter that had this mechanic?  But I'm not sure.

AFAIK MonHun was unique as it was the first of its kind. 

Spoiler

Also, warframe using MonHun mechanics. Can't wait for the inevitable comparison threads. 

Breath of Fire 3.  That game's fishing mini-game had me hooked soooo much.  It had an interesting control scheme, it wasn't just about mashing buttons. You needed to time it right with combos and stuff. The player is very actively involved in luring and catching the fish.
It did not bore me at all. And you had different rods and baits, each with their pros and cons to catch specific fish. You turned the fishes in at a merchant to buy exclusive powerful gear. Or use them as restorative items or battle items. And all of this was optional!

Zelda Ocarina of Time had an ok fishing mini game. But it was just a small pond and just had 2 or 3 unique rewards to get from it. Once I got them I had no incentive to continue fishing anymore. I heard Twilight Princess is a lot better at it but I stopped with consoles at that point.

From what we saw of that fishing preview video stream, Rebecca simply threw a spear in the water and hit a fish. Ehhh.... that's very simplistic. "Point and click, here's your fish". I hope there'll be more to it than that, an actual fishing mechanic.
Either the fishes are used to manufacture gear or we turn them in to a fish merchant to buy unique gear.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Magician_NG said:

MH is one of those series of games that has slowly gained popularity over the past decade its been around. 

I think its popularity is going to explode when MH World goes live next year. 

Oh it's exploded since MH4U, but Worlds will just blow MH4U out of the water.

1 minute ago, TheErebus. said:

Oh it's exploded since MH4U, but Worlds will just blow MH4U out of the water.

No doubt, especially since the developers are considering it to be the next entry in the main series.

However, they didn't want to title it as MH5 because they didn't want players new to the series to feel obligated to play the previous games.

Much like WF, MH has made progress over the years.