Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Warframe is still in Open Beta?

Seed-EN-

I say no its not. you never see mention of beta anywhere anymore and its an MMO type game. just look at WoW its constantly getting updated and changed but isnt a beta. thats how warframe is right now. Sure the devs never officially stated it was out of beta and there are still one or two places that still say its beta. but its not really a beta anymore

16 minutes ago, HarambeForbidd-EN- said:

well.... the title says it all, im kinda curious if the game is still in beta or something. 😀

Yes. This game has never had a post-beta launch. It is still in beta.

7 minutes ago, --Laughing-Soul-- said:

I say no its not. you never see mention of beta anywhere anymore and its an MMO type game. just look at WoW its constantly getting updated and changed but isnt a beta. thats how warframe is right now. Sure the devs never officially stated it was out of beta and there are still one or two places that still say its beta. but its not really a beta anymore

WoW had an official post-beta launch release, though, as is the standard practice when you leave beta. Also, Warframe is not an MMO. F2P =/= MMO.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

Its perpetually in development and the game would cease to function without DE's server. So when they are 'done' with the game it will end as soon as there is no new content to farm.

Beta is a dumb term for its current state but its convenient to point to it when an new update interrupts service with bugs or completely sets back various systems. such as operator super powers in PoE.

It may still mention it is technically in the TOS for a new player, but any mention of it has been taken out of the game at large.

Edited by Firetempest

This is also called a "Perpetual Beta". For a normal software life cycle a "Beta" is more like a pre release test to fix the last bugs and get feedback.

For software projects with a continious integration (e.g. MMOs), there is also the term "Perpetual Beta", which basically frees the developer of any guaranteed support and responsibilities concerning the product, since it's "unfinished and still in development".Some of those perpetual betas may never leave the beta phase.

I saw several MMOs like that, some are still in beta, while other games used the "official release" for marketing/push the game again. But even the games that were "released", still develop in the same manner as before. Maybe I should go and read those EULAs again after the release, to see whether there's a difference.

Honestly, I don't like those perpetual betas. It sounds more like an excuse for all the bugs in the game. And when I think, that they could theoretically just stop the servers, turn tail and flee...not saying that DE would do that...

Edited by Naaya

My understanding of beta is as simple as this, it’s all about protection, while in beta the game, and all its associates involved with the title are not open to suites, can add and remove or alter content as they wish, with no infraction.

Basically once the the term beta is removed, it’s considered a “complete game”, then they will have to most likely figure out whether the servers will be reset or not, which they usually do upon a legitimate launch release, similar to how the latest game title ark, washed there servers.

You dont want it to end up like destiny.... If they made game changing updates they would have to abandon the current version and go with warframe 2.... The Beta tag allows them to change and evolve the current game 

Edited by Neptlude

Warframe is part of a modern breed of game that is under constant active development. I don't think the traditional labels really apply.

However, if I were pressed, I would say that you can only really judge such games by feature completeness, the presence of a cash shop, and whether or not wipes are over. Once a game is open to the public, is accepting MTs, will no longer wipe progress, and delivers on its basic concept (space ninjas flipping out shootin manz), I think it loses any right to shield itself with the protective title of 'beta.' You're indistinguishable from a released product at that point - there's no reason that it should be acceptable as a defense.

1 minute ago, Neptlude said:

ADSmtZB.gif

You dont want it to end up like destiny.... If they made game changing updates they would have to abandon the current version and go with warframe 2.... The Beta tag allows them to change and evolve the current game 

Are you suggesting that a game can't change and evolve without cloaking itself with the word of 'beta'?

Because that's wrong. There's no reason a game can't evolve after it's released. That is nonsense.

Just now, ShogunGunshow said:

Are you suggesting that a game can't change and evolve without cloaking itself with the word of 'beta'?

Because that's wrong. There's no reason a game can't evolve after it's released. That is nonsense.

because the changes and updates DE does is pretty different before updates... Several system change and tested to the course the game.

Seeing you as a founder, ye would agree that when the game 1st started, its now almost a completely different game... 

5 minutes ago, Neptlude said:

because the changes and updates DE does is pretty different before updates... Several system change and tested to the course the game.

Seeing you as a founder, ye would agree that when the game 1st started, its now almost a completely different game... 

Yeah, it's changed very significantly. That doesn't mean it's in beta.

Like, would you consider World of Warcraft in beta? Because that's changed a ton, too. What about Dota? Very much changed. 

The new information age has allowed digital products to continue to evolve even after they're released to the public. It's just a part of being a game that's under active development - things will change. That doesn't mean that a game is in 'beta.'

Wouldn't matter if the game is in beta or not.  As an game with plans to keep developing new features and content in the foreseeable future, it's always going to be in a state of flux whether or not it is released.  The beta tag isn't an excuse to make huge sweeping mechanics changes.  They have that excuse in the ToS we all signed.   Making a huge change to the modding system, for example, doesn't suddenly become NOT an option should they officially recognize Warframe as released.

The beta tag is really there for gullible people, typically their legion of white knights.  Otherwise, looking at the game's state logically:  It's making money, anyone can sign up and play, and it runs pretty reliably without much looking like place holder garbage.  It might as well be released.

Either way, they're taking your money.  You have every right to hold them to the standards of a release title.

Considering the history of the Warframe genesis - one would understand how and why they have chose that format and that wording.
Considering this : 

I would not take it on face value, and if someone pokes DE enough to reread and reconfirm that those things are still true in the same wording.
Oh well, prepare the crap protectors.

7 hours ago, HarambeForbidd-EN- said:

well.... the title says it all, im kinda curious if the game is still in beta or something. 😀

There is a good argument to say that it's not, but technically speaking yes it is in beta (actually in alpha), because they are still adding features.
I'd say it will be in beta until we are able to reach MR30, the achievements exist but we cannot obtain them due to the game not actually being finished.

The problem is that there is the actual meaning of alpha and beta:

• "Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished"
  • "Beta is feature and asset complete version of the game, when only bugs are being fixed."

Is WF "asset complete"? not really, we still have a bunch of unfinished mechanics (like Arcanes and Focus).

However there seem to be an "internet consensus" by people who chose not to use the actually meaning of alpha and beta, that when a game has been in development for a long time, or starts taking in money that that means the game is released, which means it's no longer in alpha/beta...

But release and alpha/beta are not mutually exclusive. They are not directly related positions a game is in, one is a position of technical completion, the other I guess is when a publisher will charge full price and sell in the normal sales outlets... Sure in the most normal release scheduled a release is the outcome of a beta, but in modern gaming when we can all get access to unfinished software it's not so simple. Why ppl chose to think a release is absolutely the point after a beta ends without exception, I don't know... It seems to be an idea that has just manifested from terminology ignorance.

I don't think 'beta' is used as a shield, or a way out if something goes wrong, or is nullified if the game has an in game currency, I just think that DE use the term 'beta' because they are engulfed in the technical side of development, and they use technical terms related to what they do, which means if you're part of that world, then in all meaning the game is in beta and it's not a discussion. But as the player base is not in the technical world, they use their own version of beta/release in a very general version.

I personally chose to just use the term DE uses, they say it's beta, so I concur that it's beta.

Edited by Carnage2K4

10 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

Yes. This game has never had a post-beta launch. It is still in beta.

WoW had an official post-beta launch release, though, as is the standard practice when you leave beta. Also, Warframe is not an MMO. F2P =/= MMO.

didnt say f2p = mmo