The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So... what if Warframe shuts down?

Tellakey

W/o the the way the game is always updating, without a true sequel, this allows the game to keep going.  Theere is no way for it to make a bad sequeltharlt the player-base can dislike, and when things are awry, they hop on and try to fix the common issue.  I believe this game will have the longest lifespan than any other game, and if they run out of ideas for it, the player-base is righttheir with their ideas and concept.  I should know, because I myself have created more warframe concepts than They have of the regular warframe.  If someone did as much as me or better, then they have ideas out of the circle to turn to when they need it the most.

23 hours ago, Tellakey said:

Having dropped no small amount of time and dollars on Tennogen cosmetics, I've been growing increasingly agitated at the thought that, someday, somehow, for some reason or another, Warframe might just shut down. All the investments, both physical and mental, and the hours dedicated toward a sustained virtual reality, simply goes poof.

Have you ever had this thought? How do you feel about it?

I feel like, in the worst case scenario of this game NOT being available anymore...  that I'd feel sad, but I have gotten what I personally feel is my moneys worth.  I'm happy with the game and while I hope it continues on for years to come and am willing to support it because the developers seem very inviting... if it were to go down well, life moves on (unfortunately).

The very first MMO I ever played (Dark Age of Camelot back in the early 2000s) is somehow still going with a relatively small but passionate player base.

Warframe will eventually shut down, but it doesn't look like it will be any time soon. Could be a few years from now, or a few decades (or a few months from now we could all die in a nuclear war). Only time will tell. Whenever it happens, the time and money you spend in the game is not wasted anymore than the time and money you spend watching a movie in a theater or attending a sporting event or a concert.

It's entertainment.

On 10/28/2017 at 10:36 AM, Tellakey said:

Having dropped no small amount of time and dollars on Tennogen cosmetics, I've been growing increasingly agitated at the thought that, someday, somehow, for some reason or another, Warframe might just shut down. All the investments, both physical and mental, and the hours dedicated toward a sustained virtual reality, simply goes poof.

it happens. 
i mean I prolly have a few $1,000 in Vindictus, and over 15,000 hours from playing it for 6 years, and now it's a dead game. not much you can do about it. I enjoyed my time and got my money's worth imo 

this game has a long ways to go though. A lot of things are...still place holders. 

Edited by Vesiga

Everything ends someday, we can help avoid this by being passionate fans, being involved in and encouraging others in our community to play, and by providing good feedback for the devs. Also given the fact that warframe just got its first open world environment and is clearly willing to push the boundaries of this game, I'd say that day will not come anytime soon, fret not :)

On 10/28/2017 at 6:36 PM, Tellakey said:

The investments you've made were never in anything permanent, but in the entertainment you've had.  

It happens to most online games eventually - though I suspect Warframe will probably be around in some form for a long time to come yet. 

I think the devs must be near to suffering from burnout, if they aren't already, so I suspect we're drawing closer to the game being "finished" officially soon-ish (maybe a few more big zones, a bit more of an MMO feel like Guild Wars 1, the finalizing of the damage system and balancing, and finally the full Sentient endgame, which I think will look a bit like Eidolon play but a bit harder).  After that point, the game will be largely in maintenance mode with some, but fewer major updates, mostly just ongoing bugfixing, and the devs moving onto something else.  In that "finished" form it will probably go on for another 5 years or so, I should think.  It's a really, really good game, so it's got legs.  It might even be the sort of game that goes on forever with a small but healthy dedicated fanbase (like Ultima Online or EVE Online).

So be prepared for the worst, but hope for the best.  I put a lot of time (and 2 years of subscriptions) into City of Heroes, had umpteen heroes that I'd created that I'd lavished care and attention onto - up it all went in smoke suddenly, just like that.  Very sad.  But I still have a few screenshots of my heroes to remind me of the good times :)

On 10/28/2017 at 12:56 PM, Tellakey said:

But it's a funny thought, isn't it? That right now we all participate in this game and help it develop to (hopefully) something much, much larger than it is, knowing full well that all this work and involvement is going to lead to nothing.

If you don't mind the religious reference:

Spoiler

Ecclesiastes 1 - King James Version (KJV)

The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?

One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.

The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.

The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.

All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

10 Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

11 There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

TL:DR - Everything fades away, and anything we do has no true meaning as it will inevitably be forgotten at some point (unless it was something evil, in which case you will be remembered for that and only that for as long as humanity exists).

Edited by -AoN-CanoLathra-

Mass Histeria, Riot in the streets, people jumping out of buildings. 

The most radical will build sacrifical altars in the name of their waifu frames and will create new fanatical religions and commit sucidal bombing yelling some ordis bad pun or grineer swearing line. 

Society will collapse on itself and a new world order will be implemented as the self proclaimed reincarnation of the Lotus walks among the common folk and people are divided in castes and are labeled from ''Orokin'' down to ''Tenoskum''. The former building which housed the defunct Digital Extreme is now a place of pilgramage for the faithfull to worship the Steve Idol in hopes their prayers are awnsered but the only thing they will ever get is the small whisper in the air uttering these simple words...

SOON (TM)...

Edited by Henji

Everything in this world will inevitably end.  Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday.  Jobs, friendships, hobbies, lives, countries, planets, etc.  I wouldn't say that coming to terms with that is a prerequisite for happiness, but it certainly helps.

I would suggest a different perspective: think of games like a slice of cake.  When you buy the cake, you know it won't last forever. To enjoy it, you have to eat it, and then it will be gone.  But you still buy the cake, even though it doesn't last forever, because you enjoy the time you spend eating it.

An online game tends to last longer than a slice of cake.  And of note is the fact that — unlike cake — using a game doesn't bring it closer to its end.  That's pretty cool, right?  You can have your game and play it, too!

Still, the game you love will die someday.  It's not outside of the realm of possibility that it could last until the day you die, but it's pretty unlikely.  At some point, before you say goodbye to everything else in this world, you'll probably have to say goodbye to Warframe.

And like your own life, coming to terms with the fact that someday Warframe will end will likely help you to get that much more pleasure out of every moment you spend with it.

9 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

If you don't mind the religious reference:

Reveal hidden contents

Ecclesiastes 1 - King James Version (KJV)

The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?

One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.

The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.

The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.

All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

10 Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

11 There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

TL:DR - Everything fades away, and anything we do has no true meaning as it will inevitably be forgotten at some point (unless it was something evil, in which case you will be remembered for that and only that for as long as humanity exists).

I love how people take my material concern to philosophical extremes :)

As I have stated above, I am more concerned with Warframe shutting down than I am with my inevitable nonexistence some years down the line. Is that because I have imparted a value on Warframe greater than life itself? Naaahhh, I simply wish for my therapeutic medium to last for as long as I last because it does me good. Once I'm done I could care less what happens to the game.

But I do appreciate the scholarliness. 

with how much of a success the game is, i doubt it would just "shut down"  if anything its like runescape, it will most likely have its down periods, but it will keep going as long as DE keeps getting money from those of us who buy plat/prime access stuff.  Players like myself who have bought nearly every prime access and prime accessories pack since i started (last week of ash prime's access) are the ones who fund the game,  we arent the driving force nor the motivation that keeps DE invested in constently developing the game further, but we are the ones who basically "sign their paychecks" for lack of a better term.  between us, the founders, and all of you who play completely for free, we are all in some way the driving forces behind this game, as long as new players keep coming, and as long as we continue to hold interest, than DE wont be shutting down Warframe's servers anytime soon

On 10/28/2017 at 10:36 AM, Tellakey said:

This will be determined by whether they choose to keep the servers online or not, and how long. 

There's two types of "shutdown".

1. When DE stops "updating" the game. 

2. When DE actually shuts down the servers. 

In the latter case, there's nothing we can do. We put the money in the game and took a risk on them, and it's are lose. I bet some people are going to try to sue DE if the game is still in "beta" when it shuts down (which it probably won't be), but they probably won't stand. 

If they choose to keep servers online until the player count drops below a certain level, the only players will be the crazed ones who will probably figure out a way to load mods onto the game and even develop exploits and hacks to achieve certain feats that DE wouldn't have allowed while they were still monitoring the game. 

It will be quite interesting. 

Warframe will not be called "Warframe" anymore. It will be called Darkframe. Hence, Warframe will once again return to its Dark Sector roots. It will once again be a science fiction wasteland. 

If DE ever shuts down the game, I do hope they install something in the game that allows the community to live on. For example, at friendly fire to the game so that we can hunt each other down across the Origin System. That would be something. 

Edited by UMBRACORP