Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does anyone here actually like the Operator?

Futurehero

On 1/15/2018 at 4:12 PM, Aegni said:

Honestly, I think you are over exaggerating.

In what way does their utility make any of the frames obsolete?

Loki and Ivara invisibility significantly longer, without a major drainon void energy which Operator's must endure.  On top of this,they are significantly more agile than their Operator's by far, while possessing significant utility. To suggest Operator's are in anyway, undermining the abilities of the warframes is just engaging in hyperbole.

Ok, then again...why would I use Operator for even the utility they DO offer? As you said yourself...there are frames that do it better.

And that's why Operators should not overlap, game play wise, with frames: because frames do game play better. There will NEVER be a time when I WANT to use my Operator for a combat role over my frame, because even where abilities overlap, frames ALWAYS do it better.

Kinda makes Operator a pointless also-ran in where game play is concerned.

On 1/15/2018 at 10:25 PM, DatDarkOne said:

I like this whole post really.

hehe.  You got me with Aesthetic.  I like the fashion aspects.  :smile:

I use a controller on PC and using the Operator isn't difficult or hard at all.  It's just as easy as using any other power on the controller which is quite simple.  

Except for enormous input delays that are worse for clients than hosts and cumbersome button combinations, sure, this unnecessary, underwhelming system is just fine.

2 hours ago, BlackCoMerc said:

Except for enormous input delays that are worse for clients than hosts and cumbersome button combinations, sure, this unnecessary, underwhelming system is just fine.

I don't get any of that.  Unless the host just has such a bad connection that everything else is delayed too.  When I do play in groups, the ping is usually in the 170ping range or less.  Also remember that I play with a controller so I don't really have any cumbersome button combinations to worry about.  

I get that you might not like them, but I just don't have the issues that you've mentioned.  :smile:

11 hours ago, BlackCoMerc said:

Ok, then again...why would I use Operator for even the utility they DO offer? As you said yourself...there are frames that do it better.

And that's why Operators should not overlap, game play wise, with frames: because frames do game play better. There will NEVER be a time when I WANT to use my Operator for a combat role over my frame, because even where abilities overlap, frames ALWAYS do it better.

Kinda makes Operator a pointless also-ran in where game play is concerned.

Frames do it better, but if you pick the frame that does it better then you can't use another frame. With an operator, I can bring Saryn to a spy/sabotage/whatever mission and have a choice between going full AOE and going stealth. If I just want to do stealth, I can bring Loki.

There's a lot of room for expansion/improvement, there, but that's the core idea of what I like about operators (aside from giving me more fashionframe). If it were up to me, I'd expand that concept even further. Have each school affect your base operator powers differently, so that the operator can perform one of a number of different roles in contrast to the frame they operate. Maybe you could bring Loki for stealth, and spec into Madurai to give your operator massive damage buffs in exchange for vastly reducing your Void Mode duration. Or you could bring an AOE frame for damage on a defense mission and use your Unairu operator to defend the target. The operator wouldn't fill any of these roles as well as a dedicated frame, but they'd be available as a fallback.

Edited by motorfirebox

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:53 AM, Twilight053 said:

And a here's quick list of why operators aren't as bad as doomsdayers say. Discounting forced usage (Kuva+Eidolon, they actually suck and I agree), they are actually very versatile:

1. Void Revive
  2. Void Hack
  3. Stealth in general, for use with non-spy frames
  4. Escaping certain death with Void Mode
  5. Slash/Toxin status cancelling
  6. Lenz suicide cancelling 
  7. And all of the above is not niche, all of these are revelant and can be used in every part of the game: From Starchart to Level 9999. From Grineer to Orokin. From Exterminate to Endless.

And here is some of the arguably niche, yet still a valuable use out of them:

1. Doubled efficiency for hardcore LoR and JV speedrunners (Warframes step on a pad while Operator hacks)
  2. Survivability in some cases, like Kela Rockets and Eidolon Teralyst
  3. Doesn't cancel out the Warframe's stealth multiplier

While I agree Operators have some glaring problems, like forced Kuva missions, there are also good things about them. They have certain benefit that makes me want to use them (not forced, mind you), like Void Revive, Slash/Toxin Cancel or Lenz Suicide Canceling. But what makes these so different than Kuva Siphons? They don't cancel out Warframe gameplays like Kuva Guardians does, they augment it. These are good design. Something like the dreaded Kuva Guardians? I want to see them removed or fixed.

I agree with your last point, though.

Mentioned these things numerous times above and it gets drowned out by discussion.  I think the main reason people hate them is because the grind is intense and they have not gotten to the good stuff yet.  I do not think anyone is saying they do not need some love by DE, but they are just now coming alive and I am having a ton of fun working on them.  

Don't forget:

8.  Extreme speed (Naramon + Zenerik regen) and can dash over map to get to extraction quickly (in any frame).  This can also be used in combat for perfect shot placement.  

9. Unique Combat - fly up into air as operator, swap to warframe, smash ground into a group.  Swap to operator, dash, open up fiishers, swap back, etc.  The opportunities are endless and only limited by imagination.  I have a lot of fun using different schools and their unique dash.  People complain of awkward movement obviously haven't leveled operator enough to adequately use dash.  I never run as operator!

10. Awesome passives such as namamon 45% melee XP + slower melee counter, Zenrrruick channeling passive (60% cheaper pls massive boost energy to frame), Unarui can make entire team invisible for defense objective (not exactly passive) with damage reduction!, Madarui synergizes with damage frames and has a very cool looking dash, Verazin can revive fast (ok Varazin needs work).

11. Awesome operator relics that offer unique ways to heal without using gear wheel to drop a pad, play a healing frame, waste a mod slot, etc.  You get two mod slots on operator and can fairly easily get 20 HP/sec with just a 2 relic upgrade.  Don't wanna farm it, I understand, buy it.  They are tradable!  

Also, its not just slash / toxin, any status effect on warframe (fire another one), can jump out (heal frame in process), dash through a few enemies or status proc bullet attractor, jump back in after a couple seconds, and finish them off.  

My conclusion to these guys that cannot battle with them is they haven't grinded enough to unlock useful abilities.  While the grind is certainly better than before with recent update, and edilon captures help a lot, the convergence orb needs a total rework (or removal).  People are hating operators due to the way operators are leveled (cant try anything I mentioned above because they to weak).

I think increasing base focus gain drastically and reducing convergence orb multiplier would go a long way to people loving their operators (and no one would complain about more customization).  

Edited by Educated_Beast

13 minutes ago, Educated_Beast said:

Mentioned these things numerous times above and it gets drowned out by doomsayers.  I think they hate them because the grind is intense and they have not gotten to the good stuff yet.  I do not think anyone is saying they do not need some love by DE, but they are just now coming alive and I am having a ton of fun working on them.  

Don't forget:

8.  Extreme speed (Naramon + Zenerik regen) and can dash over map to get to extraction quickly (in any frame).  This can also be used in combat for perfect shot placement.  

9. Unique Combat - fly up into air as operator, swap to warframe, smash ground into a group.  Swap to operator, dash, open up fiishers, swap back, etc.  The opportunities are endless and only limited by imagination.  I have a lot of fun using different schools and their unique dash.  People complain of awkward movement obviously haven't leveled operator enough to adequately use dash.  I never run as operator!

10. Awesome passives such as namamon 45% melee XP + slower melee counter, Zenrrruick channeling passive (60% cheaper pls massive boost energy to frame), Unarui can make entire team invisible for defense objective (not exactly passive) with damage reduction!, Madarui synergizes with damage frames and has a very cool looking dash, Verazin can revive fast (ok Varazin needs work).

11. Awesome operator relics that offer unique ways to heal without using gear wheel to drop a pad, play a healing frame, waste a mod slot, etc.  You get two mod slots on operator and can fairly easily get 20 HP/sec with just a 2 relic upgrade.  Don't wanna farm it, I understand, buy it.  They are tradable!  

Also, its not just slash / toxin, any status effect on warframe (fire another one), can jump out (heal frame in process), dash through a few enemies or status proc bullet attractor, jump back in after a couple seconds, and finish them off.  

My conclusion to these guys that cannot battle with them is they haven't grinded enough to unlock useful abilities.  While the grind is certainly better than before with recent update, and edilon captures help a lot, the convergence orb needs a total rework (or removal).  People are hating operators due to the way operators are leveled (cant try anything I mentioned above because they to weak).

I think increasing base focus gain drastically and reducing convergence orb multiplier would go a long way to people loving their operators (and no one would complain about more customization).  

By "haven't gotten the good stuff yet" you mean, of course, "didn't put in 40+ hours of mind numbingly grind just to make them moderately less useless."

And as far as your other excuse: no, they are not just coming online. DE has been on this horse for YEARS. That's it's still rubbish is extremely telling.

Quite frankly I love my Operator. They're a little rough around the edges but they're one of the most useful mechanics ever added to the game.

I focused on getting all of the waybound nodes unlocked as soon as possible and now I'm focusing on maxing out Unairu (I already passively accumulated enough Zenurik points over the time since Focus 1.0 due to having Zenurik lenses on everything I used, anyway). Popping out and using the stealth invulnerability of the Operator makes certain-death situations workable and passable. Launching out of my frame and void blasting a bullet attractor onto a bunch of enemies effectively neutralizes them and marks them for death for my allies. Switching to Zenurik and hitting them with the slow, instead, makes them worthless for the entire duration.

I use my Operator to heal my frame in emergency situations. I use my Operator to solo interceptions with increased efficiency by sitting a WoF Ember on one node and capturing the rest of the nodes while using my amp to take out stragglers who try to take them. I use my Operator to support myself and my team whether by slowing enemies, bullet attracting them, providing energy, or buffing their amp damage with the Unairu Wisp for Teralyst fights.

Having 7 void dashes that can carry me 200m+ is one of the biggest possible boons I've ever been given. Not only does it make traveling on PoE a non-issue, it also makes it much quicker to get through larger rooms on some of the older tilesets. Ever need a quick escape because some enemies popped around a corner that you weren't expecting and you're about to die? Pop out, blast them down, void dash a few times to create safe distance, call your frame back to you. Like it never happened.

Focus gains are the issue with the Operator. No contest, there. However, when everyone who has their waybounds unlocked and a few of their focus school passives maxed out comes out and says, "Operator is good once you invest in them," then you should start seeing the full picture when you take all of the complaints about their usefulness into account. Not liking them, thematically, is another issue, entirely, and there's no way my opinion should ever be allowed to overwrite yours if that is your issue.

2 hours ago, BlackCoMerc said:

By "haven't gotten the good stuff yet" you mean, of course, "didn't put in 40+ hours of mind numbingly grind just to make them moderately less useless."

And as far as your other excuse: no, they are not just coming online. DE has been on this horse for YEARS. That's it's still rubbish is extremely telling.

'They are just coming online' meaning they are just now becoming fun and useful additions to the game.  Before they could be ignored and nothing changed.  Now if you ignore them you are missing out of awesome game play  additions.  Saying moderately less useless just proves my point.  You have not leveled up the trees so you have no idea what your talking about first hand.  

I did not have to grind at all.  When it first came out I did a lot of stealth runs but once that was nerfed, I acrued all naturally with a large selection of guns and lenses.  Granted, I'm MR 25 now so I have been playing a long time.  Since last overhaul where with shared focus and reset, I was able to unlock all waybounds immediately.  I'm not going to argue for the way focus is obtained because I hate convergence orbs, but edilon captures are fun and rewarding.  At least there is an alternative.  

I also wouldn't call bounties or edilon captures grinding.  I like them both and can passively level frames /weapons there.  I can do them fast with operator dash, long range Nova, or archwing charges.  DE listened to playerbase and made daisy-chain missions for PoE.  They also added a cool new boss. 

You have a fine skill for ignoring the usefulness of operators.  So many posts you glare over.  I think they are the most useful utility addition ever added to the game.  They greatly enhance Warframe combat by giving us so many more tools.  Being interactive is fun for me.  I get bored with the press #4 to win.  To be good with operator, you have to be interactive and creative. 

You are choosing to be ignorant because many people that have invested the time into focus have provided numerous examples above.

I suggest you take a break from Warframe and cool down.  Play some other titles so you can learn what true disappointment is.  DE may not be perfect but they are certainly one of the top game developers world wide and have excellent communication with playerbase.  

2 hours ago, Chipputer said:

I use my Operator to heal my frame in emergency situations. I use my Operator to solo interceptions with increased efficiency by sitting a WoF Ember on one node and capturing the rest of the nodes while using my amp to take out stragglers who try to take them. I use my Operator to support myself and my team whether by slowing enemies, bullet attracting them, providing energy, or buffing their amp damage with the Unairu Wisp for Teralyst fights.

I just found another use for them just last night.  They can effectively use their Amps while in Limbo's Stasis to attack enemies at range.  I was in Mobile Def sortie with a Limbo last night when I decided to try my Operator's Void Ray just to see what would happen.  Hehehe, it worked.  :smile: 

27 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

I just found another use for them just last night.  They can effectively use their Amps while in Limbo's Stasis to attack enemies at range.  I was in Mobile Def sortie with a Limbo last night when I decided to try my Operator's Void Ray just to see what would happen.  Hehehe, it worked.  :smile: 

Logically makes sense. Frame powers are void powered and the operator amp is void powered.

Didn't know it worked, though. Will have to keep that in mind!

3 hours ago, Educated_Beast said:

'They are just coming online' meaning they are just now becoming fun and useful additions to the game.  Before they could be ignored and nothing changed.  Now if you ignore them you are missing out of awesome game play  additions.  Saying moderately less useless just proves my point.  You have not leveled up the trees so you have no idea what your talking about first hand.  

I did not have to grind at all.  When it first came out I did a lot of stealth runs but once that was nerfed, I acrued all naturally with a large selection of guns and lenses.  Granted, I'm MR 25 now so I have been playing a long time.  Since last overhaul where with shared focus and reset, I was able to unlock all waybounds immediately.  I'm not going to argue for the way focus is obtained because I hate convergence orbs, but edilon captures are fun and rewarding.  At least there is an alternative.  

I also wouldn't call bounties or edilon captures grinding.  I like them both and can passively level frames /weapons there.  I can do them fast with operator dash, long range Nova, or archwing charges.  DE listened to playerbase and made daisy-chain missions for PoE.  They also added a cool new boss. 

You have a fine skill for ignoring the usefulness of operators.  So many posts you glare over.  I think they are the most useful utility addition ever added to the game.  They greatly enhance Warframe combat by giving us so many more tools.  Being interactive is fun for me.  I get bored with the press #4 to win.  To be good with operator, you have to be interactive and creative. 

You are choosing to be ignorant because many people that have invested the time into focus have provided numerous examples above.

I suggest you take a break from Warframe and cool down.  Play some other titles so you can learn what true disappointment is.  DE may not be perfect but they are certainly one of the top game developers world wide and have excellent communication with playerbase.  

Playing other games has reminded me of what well balanced, fun games are. And why Warframe...isnt one.

22 minutes ago, BlackCoMerc said:

Playing other games has reminded me of what well balanced, fun games are. And why Warframe...isnt one.

Just because you don't like a certain aspect of the game (undoubtedly so) doesn't make the rest of the game unbalanced or not fun. (I'll admit Warframe isn't flawless, but it is a far better game than some others.) Operators as they are, not as a sidegrade or an upgrade to Warframes, but as something you can use to complement them, are definitely not required for the game's enjoyment.

You can choose to ignore the Operator's strong suits as complementary CC/Energy Regen/Health Regen etc... but it doesn't change the fact that Warframe, as it stands, is a very enjoyable game. In the future, more and more content may indeed revolve around the Operator, and that isn't a bad thing. If DE wants to develop the game this way, I say let them. Just because a few odd-ball players don't like the idea of and completely despise Operators entirely, just because they feel like they are being pushed upon them, doesn't make them bad.

You have choices in this game, just two of them.
Decide to grit your teeth and bear the fact that you're going to have to play as a space child in order to progress through some of the game's content, or leave, if it's that bad for you.

DE has a right to explore the avenues they want to with this game's development, and I'm not saying your feedback is bad. It's just misplaced. Don't throw the entire game under the bus just because you have a beef with a certain relatively small portion of it.  You have to remember, we're just along for the ride. Operators are here to stay, and I'm glad.

Because I personally enjoy using them, and finding new ways to add them into my playstyle.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

3 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

Hm, thanks for sharing. I will have to keep this in mind next time.

Really long thread here so I haven't read most of it, but operators do bring quite a bit of utility to the table.

Void dash for travel and void mode/cloak damage avoidance are better than nearly any frame.

Let's not forget that you can hack/use life support/rez while cloaked.

Couple this with other school specific passives and they're pretty ok as far as I'm concerned.

It's pretty clear that warframe wants us to stay focused on warframes for most of the time we play, and making the operators the way they are make sense.

I'm really thankful that the only times you're forced to use operators in combat in normal play are to hunt a teralyst and kuva siphons. The rest are specific to quests or tests.

And just to add to utility: zenurik void power that lets you suck in enemies works for friendly units too. Go figure out where that's useful. (There's one specific instance and it's awesome) :)

Oh, and complaining how a utility of extremely grindy, while valid, is kinda weird considering ALL of WF is pretty grindy.

Edited by TonyWong

9 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

Yeah its a pretty neat interaction.

On 1/18/2018 at 1:24 AM, BlackCoMerc said:

On 1/18/2018 at 1:05 PM, motorfirebox said:

Frames do it better, but if you pick the frame that does it better then you can't use another frame. With an operator, I can bring Saryn to a spy/sabotage/whatever mission and have a choice between going full AOE and going stealth. If I just want to do stealth, I can bring Loki.

I cannot stress this enough, Operator lets us play how we want. It's not whether stealth Warframes or Operator outclasses each other, it's about how Operators gives us the freedom to diverge from meta stealth frames. I can get a Rhino to a spy/sabotage/whatever mission and have a choice between going full Buff/CC and going stealth. If I just want to do stealth, I can get Ivara.

Why would I use Operator's utility if there are frames that do it better? Because I want to play as Rhino and still have that utility.

Why would I use Loki if I can just use Operator? Because I want to use their full invisibility.

Edited by NaoEthelia

Personally I don't hate the Operator game-play. I think it needs a LOT of work to be worth using, but I don't hate it. If I may be so bold, I'm just gonna leave the link to my complete overhaul of both the focus system and damage/status system that I think could make both the game overall and the Operators and focus system as a whole significantly better.

Tarak's Better Focus and Damage Systems

3 hours ago, NaoEthelia said:

I cannot stress this enough, Operator lets us play how we want. It's not whether stealth Warframes or Operator outclasses each other, it's about how Operators gives us the freedom to diverge from meta stealth frames. I can get a Rhino to a spy/sabotage/whatever mission and have a choice between going full Buff/CC and going stealth. If I just want to do stealth, I can get Ivara.

Why would I use Operator's utility if there are frames that do it better? Because I want to play as Rhino and still have that utility.

Why would I use Loki if I can just use Operator? Because I want to use their full invisibility.

I get that. I do.

At the same time...that actually makes those frames less relevant. That's BAD overlap.

Not to mention, Operator combat is a travesty of terrible game design. Input delays, slow movement, clunky weapons and zero risk...it's absolutely subpar to Frames in every way.

3 hours ago, BlackCoMerc said:

I get that. I do.

At the same time...that actually makes those frames less relevant. That's BAD overlap.

Except by making 3-4 frames less relevant, it makes 30+ other frames more relevant. That's a GOOD overlap.

Wanna know a horrible overlap? Kuva Guardian makes 35 frames irrelevant in favor of 1 Operator. That's a horrible overlap and should be deleted.

Edited by NaoEthelia

5 hours ago, BlackCoMerc said:

that actually makes those frames less relevant. That's BAD overlap.

How does it make Loki or Ivara less relevant, exactly? Loki brings utility that the Operator cannot while also bringing his invisibility. Ivara brings utility the Operator cannot while also bringing her invisibility.

Does Vazarin somehow diminish the usefulness of Renewal or Blessing? Does Madurai diminish the usefulness of any damage buff in the game? Does Zenurik somehow make EV and Harrow completely worthless? Does Unairu somehow diminish the usefulness of Iron Renewal or any other damage reduction skill? Does Naramon somehow diminish the usefulness of a guaranteed disarm and/or radiation proc?

The answer to all of these is no.

Operator's void mode is entirely a selfish action that can only be made less selfish by increasing the costs of using it high enough that the utility actually hurts the user, causing them to have to use their frame more and choose to use their Operator more strategically, rather than on a whim. Lest you also forget, using the utility of the Operator locks you out of using the potential of your frame for a short time, save channeled abilities like WoF. Using said channeled abilities leaves your frame open to taking damage and, consequently, dying while you're not even in it.

Your view is narrow and your critique is shallow.

Edited by Chipputer
Spacing issues

1 hour ago, NaoEthelia said:

Except by making 3-4 frames less relevant, it makes 30+ other frames more relevant. That's a GOOD overlap.

Wanna know a horrible overlap? Kuva Guardian makes 35 frames irrelevant in favor of 1 Operator. That's a horrible overlap and should be deleted.

Now that we agree on. Anything that FORCES Operator combat is bad. They're combat isn't fun or exciting. The utility is admittedly useful...but for.combay, Operators are just bad.

On 1/14/2018 at 8:37 PM, LSG501 said:

Operators... I still hate the way they're forced on us, especially the annoying way you're forced to void dash for energy etc with zenurik,  They cost a small fortune in standing, both focus and quill, to get them to a decent level of survivability and offensive capability.  

I still see no real reason for them to have been added to the game but they're here (and they're not going anywhere, iirc this is Steve's 'baby' in the game) and so this is what we get to 'enjoy'...and these are my experiences so your mileage may vary.

Get a bad host and you get lagging eject from warframe, lagging void dash etc etc... which really ruins any chance of using it as intended, get a good host and it's fine.  Oh how we all love important stuff being host side instead of client side.. Switching to using operator in general is jarring even with naramons 30% speed waybound unlocked and it's just so slow and weak compared with a warframe. 

Constantly get annoyed with required controls for void dash when they don't react quick enough meaning you jump instead of void dash...

Kuva farming, still as monotonous as the day it was released and really needs a buff to how much kuva you get imo to make me want to do it more often.

Doing a public teralyst hunt (I'll ignore the lure issues) with a team that actually works well together, actually went in there for a teralyst hunt (really needs a 'hunt teralyst' mission rather than open world) and it's actually quite enjoyable even with my dislike for the forced operator.... comes away with a nice little haul of goodies due to be able to do multiple runs.  On the otherhand...

Doing a public teralyst hunt with a team that doesn't know what they're doing (seems quite common), or even better yet hasn't even got their operator and decides to stick around and keep getting killed.... (got to love newbies being allowed into the 'veteran' fights)... comes away with next to nothing and feeling annoyed due to the fact that I've just wasted the entire night period (yes I know there's recruit and abort options but you shouldn't need to rely on this 4 months after release).  Dislikes the forced use of the operator again and wishes it wasn't needed for teralyst hunt. 

So how do I feel about operators, seeing as I'm basically just farming the teralyst at the moment for focus and quills standing, it's one of occasional enjoyment with a lot more annoyance, either due to needing to abort for a group that can actually do the eidolon or it just taking much longer than it should do.

I suppose the ability to use the operator in cloaked mode to do things like spy and revives is handy but the former is still easier with ivara imo.

I am not looking forward to even more 'forced' operator content, we need more warframe environments, not stuff that forces us to use the operator just because DE needs to justify the addition of the operator.

My operator can break teralyst shields on its own extremely quickly pumping over 4000+ damage a shot. Maybe you should invest into leveling instead of complaining that you can't break a teralyst shield?