The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe will be a movie?

(XBOX)coelhodavis

Well it's not impossible, but it is improbable....

While DE has a massive, massively talented team of developers, that would be a immense and very different project compared to everything they've done thus far.

While they do possess a team in charge of creating beautiful and cinematic cut scenes, and one that masterfully crafts fresh and engaging story and dialogue, and one that crafts cutting edge, beautifully-rendered characters and level maps--all of that is completely dedicated to improving the game.

If they wanted to make a movie, they'd have to either hire an outside studio to work on everything but the story, which DE would still have to devote serious resources into, or essentially cripple the majority of their game team and learn how to make a movie for the better part of a year or more while the game itself MIGHT get bug fixes every couple of months.

It's uh...not a super-great move for them right at the moment, probably, maybe.

Alternately it could be entirely in Chinese, and kind of weird, but hey...movie?

If DE had the spare resources for it, I'm sure it'd be great, though!

Only way I could see it being a movie is if Genndy Tartakovsky (the guy that directed Samurai Jack and the Clone Wars carton) was in charge of directing. He and his team excel at action scenes but also telling stories with very little dialogue. I can see their visual and narrative style working very well with Warframe.

I'd like to see a movie, but...

-The story is uncomplete and short

-Since we're all "special" in our game, there's no real protagonist, no backstory, nothing.

-What company could possibly make a movie about Warframe without screwing up everything. It's probably gonna end up as a 18+ version of the Emoji Movie.

-Even if we had a protagonist-Tenno, what about the Warframe itself? Are we gonna give him/her one specific Warframe, or are we gonna squeeze every single one in the movie?

Personally, I'd like a movie were it starts with a single Tenno awakening, who then meets several other Tennos, becomes friends with them, maybe even falls for one of them (knowwhatImsayin'), and then after some *insert good story content here* ends up in a massive battle against the Grineer, were ALL Tenno fight.

Just one problem:

Spoiler

I doubt anyone would bother to animate that. I create wallpapers with the Warframe models in SFM, and even that takes forever with just 2 characters.

Edited by o0Despair0o

13 minutes ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

What about no?

I like it as a game, don't want a sh*tty company to make a movie about it, & DE has better things to do.

DE can barely write a cohesive story themselves. Warframe is not interesting enough to warrant a movie. If anything it'd be like Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children where the action is cool but it's mostly dumb.

Wow, you must really hate Warframe if you want to have a movie of it. Like, I'm serious, wishing a movie upon a video game is basically saying you hate that game, cause no game has ever had a good movie made of it.

Let's leave Warframe out of Hollywood, please. They will always make crap.

3 minutes ago, Pent_ said:

DE can barely write a cohesive story themselves. Warframe is not interesting enough to warrant a movie. If anything it'd be like Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children where the action is cool but it's mostly dumb.

Well that's rather a rude way to put it, and I disagree with your opinion at that--I found TSD and TWW to be quite compelling, and I expect Steve and his group's hard work on The Sacrifice will also pay off nicely.

2 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

Wow, you must really hate Warframe if you want to have a movie of it. Like, I'm serious, wishing a movie upon a video game is basically saying you hate that game, cause no game has ever had a good movie made of it.

Okay but no. Warframe would make a bad movie, yes, but this kind of thinking is dumb. Halo Legends was an amazing movie. Silent Hill is a very enjoyable film. Ratchet and Clank (while more geared towards children) was still pretty decent, and even some of the resident evil movies (although completely non-canon) are good.

2 minutes ago, Meta_Nexus said:

Well that's rather a rude way to put it, and I disagree with your opinion at that--I found TSD and TWW to be quite compelling, and I expect Steve and his group's hard work on The Sacrifice will also pay off nicely.

How would you rather me put it? Warframe's story isn't about good writing, it's about long cliff hangers.

It would take some serious concessions on DE's part to allow a writing team to create the appropriate arcs to form a coherent film story. I could see something along the lines of "Animatrix", where it's more of an anthology of stories...

While I (too) would love to see it done right, knowing how movies are made and working in the film industry...this sounds like it would be a total trainwreck. The biggest challenge is the IP owners allowing the film production staff to tackle the challenge of making a film, not appeasing the egos of the producers/IP owners.

I think a movie would be a bad idea, but an anime series would make some sense.

Perhaps one set in the Orokin era, set after the Zariman incident (but with occasional flashbacks to that), with the Tenno fighting against the Infested and the Sentient.

You would have a reduced number of Warframes available (only the primed ones), as well as not needing to have any of the current NPCs except for

Spoiler

Natah, disguised as the Lotus, and Ballas,

and none of the current enemies except for the sentient and infested ones (Hunhow being the only one with any personality). It would allow the team a great deal of freedom in creating the series, as the lore of that time period is rather vague, aside from a few know incidents

Spoiler

(the destruction of the Orokin at the hands of the Tenno, for instance, and the cryosleep they were placed in).

Everything between the Zariman and the cryosleep would be the writers' domain, and as long as they had decent writers who had read up on the game's lore, I don't see how it could turn out badly.

And money wouldn't be bad either, since they would have an interested audience of several million before it even started airing,. Plus, it could potentially bring in more players for the game.

1 minute ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

It would allow the team a great deal of freedom in creating the series, as the lore of that time period is rather vague, aside from a few know incidents

The team being a proper film crew...DE should not be in ANY way involved in actually writing/developing this. I've had to deal with this before. DE makes games, not movies. While the two are not mutually exclusive, its better to leave those who specialize in it focus on that task.

I can only think of Neill Blomkamp or Gareth Edwards cross pollinating tasks. And those two would be your best best getting a project like Warframe into film format. 

49 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

Mortal Kombat would like to have a word with you.

Yeah I would love at movie as well. Just think of all the other great video-games adapted into unforgettable cinematic masterpieces. Warcraft, Assassins Creed and Tomb Raider. And who can forget classics such as Street Fighter, Max Payne or Need for Speed. Or the incredible Prince of Persia that was totally snuffed at the 2010 oscars. Each of these amazing masterpieces has left their mark on cinematic history forever. Who wouldn't love to see Warframe join their ranks as yet another in a long list of highly successful video game adaptations?