Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(XB1/PS4) Virtual Cursor Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

I stand by my previous set of solutions (Q.V.)

Just adding that the UI is sooooo very broken....
-- The ability to click on an item after the cursor is over it just sometimes shuts off.  
This has on more than one occasion required a complete Log-Out and Log-Back-In to solve.  NOT OK.
-- EVERYTHING in the Chat (trade / recruit / etc) is VERY SMALL TEXT and you are forcing us to navigate to a small set of pixels before we can click on it.... and missing those pixels is now part of the process EVERY TIME.
-- The way the Invite Request screen now works is wonky as hell.  
Occasionally to get to the point where you even CAN click the Square key to accept requires using the Circle key to back out from other screens....
EXCEPT it ends up closing / nullfying the invite as well.

Sooooo broken.
Give us the ability to USE LEGACY / ORIGINAL MENUS.

5 hours ago, (XB1)Kebiru25 said:

Look, your a PC gamer, so I don't think you care about us consoles. Fine. But stop defending something that you were never be affected by. You and every other PC gamer telling us to get over it is like a slap it the face. The overall problem with the UI is that we were forced to integrate to your standards without even a thought to our feelings... whatever, I'm talking

5 hours ago, (XB1)Kebiru25 said:

I wonder, does your assessment of likes/dislikes account for the commenters that are PC players who are not affected by the UI/cursor change?

Honestly pc players' opinion on this issue should be disregarded completely. This is a console issue, even the thread literally says (XB1/PS4)

Let's say a seller of apples and oranges suddenly decides to sell bad quality apples because it's cheaper and the apple buyers complain, that doesn't give the orange buyers any right whatsoever to say the apples are good enough and they should just suck it up. It's both fruit but 2 different products and 2 different groups of customers.

How about we just remove the cursor for everyone and pc players should just buy a controller, making the mouse unusable? It's absurd but basically the same thing.

Just tonight I had one instance of exiting fully from menus but being unable to move and instead having the cursor keep moving. Reopening and closing the menus did not fix this. Using menu fast travel to Navigation fixed it.

Only happened once but pretty severe bug.

19 hours ago, Marekthejester said:

The U.I isn't finished yet. Why did they pushed an unfinished U.I will you ask ? Because they need to be sure every step to the final U.I works well else the all system will fail.

And this doesn't work well at all. Not even close. Excellent point.

18 hours ago, (PS4)Taishin_Ishu said:

and it could completely screw over Warframe altogether.    People need to stop over-exaggerating

Maybe, just maybe, you should take your own advice here.

Also, what's "over-exaggerating"? Where's the line between that and plain old exaggerating?

Edited by (XB1)mickeyjuiceman

On 2018-06-08 at 3:34 AM, (PS4)zedlanik said:

I don't use mouse and keyboard I would like to have option came back after few month to find out you guys change it in many ways good idea for those that actually use mouse and keyboard but for those that don't really  really bad idea not to give us option 

swings and roundabouts tbh, ages ago we had a simple easy to use pc ui/menu system, then landed the console oriented one we have now with a load of nested menus and esc button mashing, getting a ui that annoys console users?     karma...

1 hour ago, (XB1)mickeyjuiceman said:

And this doesn't work well at all. Not even close. Excellent point.

Maybe, just maybe, you should take your own advice here.

Also, what's "over-exaggerating"? Where's the line between that and plain old exaggerating?

What are you on about?  Do you -not- understand how a drastic change in UI and swapped in bad code could force a temporary shutdown of the game for consoles?  Cert alone to fix most of it would take awhile.  They are rolling it out in steps to test things a bit at a time and ease people into the change.  

In fact, MOST of the original functionality is already back in so....I'm not sure why you're still complaining.  How long are you going to crucify DE for old issues that've since been rectified?

and OVER-exaggeration is exaggerated exaggerating, meaning you're just blowing it completely out of proportion.  Don't mince my words to discredit me.  My points are valid and I -was- attempting to contribute.  I've no interest in playing a game of semantics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (PS4)Fourd_4D said:

Just tonight I had one instance of exiting fully from menus but being unable to move and instead having the cursor keep moving. Reopening and closing the menus did not fix this. Using menu fast travel to Navigation fixed it.

Only happened once but pretty severe bug.

Has happened to 3 times, everytime I was in sanctuary onslaught and got back to my ship... could move cursor but everything else was locked and the camera was in front of my warframe...

4 hours ago, (PS4)HarigeVINCE said:

Honestly pc players' opinion on this issue should be disregarded completely. This is a console issue, even the thread literally says (XB1/PS4)

Let's say a seller of apples and oranges suddenly decides to sell bad quality apples because it's cheaper and the apple buyers complain, that doesn't give the orange buyers any right whatsoever to say the apples are good enough and they should just suck it up. It's both fruit but 2 different products and 2 different groups of customers.

How about we just remove the cursor for everyone and pc players should just buy a controller, making the mouse unusable? It's absurd but basically the same thing.

Jesus, stop with the "Us versus them" mentality of PC gamers versus console gamers. That $%^&* is old, tired, and just asinine. Even PC gamers are affected by the bugs in the UI (I was just on my PC last night). And so what if I have a PC User under my name? I still use a console. I still use a controller. I just happen to use a controller with the mouse (since the touchpad is straight garbino on the controller), and rarely, a keyboard when using chat. So what's the problem? I'm not allowed to express my opinion on consoles and console gaming (which I do plenty of) because once you've gone PC, there's no going back?

Get real. Your analogy is flawed because no one is demanding that console gamers start using a K&M. Should they embrace the changes by using the K&M where convenient, and use a controller the rest of the time? Yes, absolutely. If the K&M doesn't work for you, don't use it. I personally think controller and mouse isn't a bad option until the UI gets fixed, no keyboard necessary. Nor is DE demanding anyone change, and they will fix it because it will affect their bottom line.

In a year, none of this will matter because Sony will have put out the new PlayStation with new controllers that will undoubtedly have better track pads, and then any cursors in-game will be moved with a single thumb swipe and tap.

Edited by TwoWolves

51 minutes ago, TwoWolves said:

Jesus, stop with the "Us versus them" mentality of PC gamers versus console gamers. That $%^&* is old, tired, and just asinine. Even PC gamers are affected by the bugs in the UI (I was just on my PC last night). And so what if I have a PC User under my name? I still use a console. I still use a controller. I just happen to use a controller with the mouse (since the touchpad is straight garbino on the controller), and rarely, a keyboard when using chat. So what's the problem? I'm not allowed to express my opinion on consoles and console gaming (which I do plenty of) because once you've gone PC, there's no going back?

Yeah. It's not just you annoyed by silly people being close-minded. Their position is just plain silly at this stage. 

Also, for DE, please please please fix the issue with invitations and open chats where backing out of the chat closes the invitation. Last night someone was asking randoms for help, I messaged the person and was willing to run a mission or two with them but it closed the invite and when I messaged them to try again, waited a couple of minutes and tried to invite instead, they'd gone offline. I'd hate to think that they quit because they felt like they couldn't get help. 

One of the things that stuck with me is that people were willing to help me out when I was a total noob. I try to do the same when I'm able. A huge amount of what I learned in the game was from others who were obviously more advanced than me, and just asked me if I needed any more help in progressing or wanted to do extra runs for the boss drops. 

If this issue is preventing us from helping others who want the help and are excited to find someone who is willing to help, then that's more important and deserves a higher priority, than most of the minor nuisances that I have to deal with. 

@(PS4)FurryZenJustice

While it is true that most customers do not know enough to ask for specific features, they certainly know what they do not like. If customers do not like something they have other options and will not continue to be your customers for very long.

In this case you also have to consider the culture as consoles interfaces have been refined over decades and that behavior is ingrained in every console player. It's not enough for DE to make the perfect hybrid UI when every other console app and even system UI is training them to do something else. It would be like the children's game of patting your head and rubbing your belly, where you need to force your body to do two very counterintuitive things at the same time.

In the end, we know why DE wants to do this but it is not in the interest of console gamers as the previous UI was nearly perfect (it needed more mapping options and robust settings) for consoles.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph

1. Hotkeys R1 and L1 to quickly switch between configurations doesn't work unless I slide the cursor off to the side of the current configuration. If I don't do that it'll instead switch between the unequipped mods below from All Stances, Aura, Augments, the different mod Polarities..etc

2. Trying to leave a squad after a mission takes pin point accuracy with the cursor. It probably doesn't help since I have the cursor movement sensitivity turned up so it doesn't take 30 minutes to move it from point A to B.

3. I noticed this before the update but when I customize my operator, mainly changing eye color, she's always looking nearly 180° up or down with her eyes almost rolled to the back of her head, maybe she's like me and sees something shiny on the orbiter, idk. I did notice that her head and eyes follow when I'm scrolling through the customization options so when I get down to where I change the eye color her head is facing too far down to for me see what changes I'm making. It's not a big issue since I barely ever do anything with my operator's appearance and only happened to change it earlier today because I just got the Zephyr Prime Accessories Pack.

4. When ever I use the chat and hit R3 to quickly go to the first letter of a player's name, again I keep hitting the wrong letter with the cursor. Also when I get to the name and then select the name to go through the various options (Talk, Show Profile, Invite...) I can't select anything. This only happens when I use this option from the panel off to the right side of chat though. But also with the cursor, I have to take a good minute to make sure I don't select the wrong option if I want to talk or invite someone through chat. I could change the cursor sensitivity lower but then I'd have to change it to go slower to navigate Recruit or Trade Chat and faster for almost everything else I do in the game. 

I still love the game despite the bugs and annoyances of the cursor. If I run into anymore bugs I'll share them. 

Edited by (PS4)NiNja_LEZ_NJROTC
The Usual Typos

3 hours ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

While it is true that most customers do not know enough to ask for specific features, they certainly know what they do not like.

Agreed. The issue is that people rarely know what they will like. People will often tell software developers that if they just changed this one thing in this one way that they'll love it, and sometimes they're right, but more often than not they're wrong.

The idea is that you try a bunch of designs informed by the science of UX, test them for multiple criteria and then iterate.

What doesn't work is putting the user in the UX designer seat. That we seem to agree on. But that feels far from universal.

The fundamental issue is that there is no version of the old UI and new content. Reverting would take more time than simply applying changes until they produce something people like.

I'm guessing the mainline branch diverged months ago. And over this months they have been slowly stripping the old UI code out and putting in new code both related to UI and not. They could revert, but they'd probably have to reimplement a chunk of Venus, the dojo additions, the particle FX options. You'ld be looking at massive merge hell, which every programmer I know of dreads.

If bet money the new UI already partially exists in the code we already have along with Venus and they're just locked away behind a flag. Sacrifice too.

So I'm suggesting to the other people asking for a revert instead let DE know what specifically is broken and let them fix it.

Here, I should be specific. The issue is that I liked it the way it was doesn't give DE sufficient information. The old UI's behavior probably well documented. Things like "I liked it when it snapped to menus when they opened" is good. "Crappy upgrade, worse in every way" isn't.

Edited by (PS4)FurryZenJustice

@(PS4)FurryZenJustice

I get that we need constructive feedback but this UI is a half step at best. How can you expect players to be constructive when DE hasn't even given us a finished UI? I mean the first version didn't even have button shortcuts! This alone demonstrates that it wasn't optimized for consoles, they just ported the PC's hybrid UI.

In the end I think everyone is interested in seeing the final UI, but the one we have now is a mix of unfinished ideas. How can I tell you how to improve a house when you haven't even finished the walls yet and you won't show me the blueprint since I'm not an architect? See the problem here?

46 minutes ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

@(PS4)FurryZenJustice

I get that we need constructive feedback but this UI is a half step at best. How can you expect players to be constructive when DE hasn't even given us a finished UI? I mean the first version didn't even have button shortcuts! This alone demonstrates that it wasn't optimized for consoles, they just ported the PC's hybrid UI.

In the end I think everyone is interested in seeing the final UI, but the one we have now is a mix of unfinished ideas. How can I tell you how to improve a house when you haven't even finished the walls yet and you won't show me the blueprint since I'm not an architect? See the problem here?

Yea this + 1 ^ 🙂 

@(PS4)Hiero_Glyph

If DE didn't have a multi year track record, if agree with you. But they do.

As I've mentioned before it sounds like DE got caught with their proverbial pants down. I imagine that Sacrifice and the new UI have been entwined for some time and that delaying Sacrifice, E3 and Tennocon wasn't feasible. And, yes, console isn't as important as PC for them. Maybe they thought they could fix the issues quickly. Maybe they're right.

But in a crisis and this is a crisis, the post mortem happens after the problem is fixed not during. Giving them what they need instead of the 800th copy of the same feedback doesn't help the console players. It feels good, but doesn't help us get a better UI.

I'm trying to be practical here. I'm a console player only and just as affected. And the first version they put out was "terrible". Later revisions moved the needle to "awful". I have confidence that the next version will be qualified as "bad".

But what am I supposed to do? I acknowledge it's bad, but telling them off is cathartic to me, but doesn't get me what I really want which is a good UI. There is no feasible way to turn back the clock -- that's just the reality of always online multiplayer software development. So I'm trying to, in my incredibly limited way, to suggest that if the community stay focused more on reporting bugs and less on chewing out DE for their very real, very big mistake. I just know that when I'm trying to fix a big problem the more people who are telling at me the slower I go.

Edited by (PS4)FurryZenJustice

@(PS4)FurryZenJustice

I can agree with that. The only difference is that I don't mind when players vent a bit; they've earned that much by having to deal with this UI. Besides, there is plenty of constructive feedback already and the next update will change things again so chances are it is either in cert already or will be very soon so most of it won't matter at this point.

On 2018-06-11 at 7:18 AM, (PS4)zedlanik said:

So wait s8nce when did destiny 1 played like trash ? I played destiny 1 but you are talking trash mate 

Where did I say it played like trash?

You are an idiot if you percieved my statement as trashing D1.

D1 had great UI. The current Phase 1 cursor UI is not bad at all. I compared to D1's lovely UI as a compliment.

If you can see that then go get your eyes checked. You're blind as a bat.

I increased the cursor speed, Cursor size, & spent more than a few hours with the new UI. 

It became second nature in no time. Felt like I was playing D1 (UI wise).

I actually navigate menus FASTER than with the old Console UI.

On 2018-06-07 at 7:34 PM, Firetempest said:

How very inconsiderate of you. I have a broken remote that makes the cursor move weirdly. I don’t have the money to get a new controller in the near future but the old system was more controllable. Now the cursor constantly moves upper left now. I’m sorry DE but this system isn’t very considerate to the console players because the cursor is slow by default and players are not used to this type of control. It just makes trading and accepting party invites really difficult. Here’s the funny thing. I can’t accept invites and talk to my trader anymore. If I talk to the trader, it forces me to decline the Dojo invitation. PC doesn’t have this problem because their go back button isn’t the same ast the decline button.

Edited by (PS4)godlysparta

7 minutes ago, (PS4)godlysparta said:

How very inconsiderate of you. I have a broken remote that makes the cursor move weirdly. 

That's hardly the fault of the new system to not make exceptions for broken controllers. Go buy a wired controller for a fraction of the cost.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

That's hardly the fault of the new system to not make exceptions for broken controllers. Go buy a wired controller for a fraction of the cost.

The last time that happened, the controller stopped work in a week. I didn’t drop it or anything. However, that’s not the real problem.

The new UI mixed with the old UI is just terrible. Either make it so that there aren’t dual functions buttons that can interlap together or make it so it’s completely like PC. This mix has made things really confusing and hard to use.

Well after posting in a few places in the forums it seems this is the place where the bulk of issues with the new UI are being vented. 

So add me to the list on this thread of people who dislike the half-done UI for console. 

No D-Pad controls that actually work or even function in certain panels, buggy buttons, lack of previews etc. etc. Why half bake the pie then hand it out to everyone to eat? It will not go down well at all. 

The sad thing is used to like Warframe but now it is unplayable. I barely do anything other then collect my daily reward and log off. I want to play not fight with the controls to make the simplest of changes of heaven forbid, select a mission. Geez. 

Thankfully plenty of other games to play but I would have liked to continued with Warframe, as it is unless the new UI is completely mind blowing, I will probably not be paying too much attention to this game. 

• Like 2