Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Launchers shouldn't kill you, just knock you down for 5 seconds.

BladeRambler

I feel like this simple change would make all launchers actually usable again. I get that there should be a penalty for spamming shots all over the map without aiming, but at the higher levels, it takes usually several grenades, cannonballs, rockets, etc. to make a dent in the tankier enemies (and only one grenade to down the player). And in the cramped corridors of most maps, it's kinda hard not to accidentally detonate a round close to you or have a teammate jump in front of you at the wrong moment. Instead of the massive self-damage resulting in an instant player death, just have us get knocked down for a couple seconds (with maybe a small health hit), similar to what one of the bursa's do, and have it so no mods are able to change this knocked-downtime. This will satisfy both the haters of launcher-spammers, and those that like using them. What do you think?

Your teammates block your shots? 

Add friendly fire mode to Warframe 😈

Warframe at high level is pretty much touhou with hitscan enemies, there's nothing between ohko and not getting ohko except QT(unless you spam cheeses hard enough). 

Edited by Volinus7

14 minutes ago, Fishyflakes said:

But I heard they're making a Self-Damage Reduction mod in Elite Alerts so maybe that will be good enough

No. This is the same thing as the Vacuum Mod. It's DE telling the player-base: "No, we don't ever plan to ACTUALLY fix this issue the Player-Base as a whole has, and we're sticking to our poor logic on this and keeping things exactly the way they are, also, have a Band-aid."

Self-Damage, considering it can Frequently happen due to Warframe Bugs, Teammates, Etc., shouldn't Insta-kill the player, especially with the new "You Die, You Fail" Elite Alerts coming out. It should, AT MOST, take 90% of the Player's Health away, teaching them "You Goofed, now don't Goof again" and allow the Player to limp away to find a solution to their new low health issue.

This is similar to the things such as the Commanders. DE thought "This is good, if they catch you in their part of the Western Hemisphere, you insta-die due to Stun Lock!", the Player-Base said "This is dumb, I don't deserve to die just because I was two rooms away from one", and DE EVENTUALLY figured out "Oh, this doesn't work, and it's not fun to play with", and solved the issue.

Self-Damage NEEDS to punish the Players for missing or flubbing shots, yes, but at the same time Warframe is buggy, wonky, and over-all not 100% reliable, and even pros will one-shot themselves from time to time because of this. For that reason, Self-Damage needs to be tamed, still punishing, but not insta-killing.

Introducing a Mod to band-aid it is just DE giving us the metaphorical Middle Finger.

Edited by Tangent-Valley

There should be a quest to find the Weaponsmith who helps craft all the weapons we get and modify from others. We find him, get a new Warframe (Napalm), and we get the ability to find weapon modifiers that reduce self damage from the launchers at a loss of power. Would make it that you either have the old version, change yours in for the no lethal version, or have one of each. Variety....

I mean, 5 seconds is a suggestion. It should be longer than a regular knockdown to punish wayward self-damage shots. It is also really annoying to be paired with a laggy host that causes you to down yourself since you can't tell where enemies actually are and one teleports in front of you. It's also kinda BS when enemies can absorb more of the launcher's damage than even your tankiest warframe, but that's another subject.

On 2018-09-23 at 3:46 PM, BladeRambler said:

I mean, 5 seconds is a suggestion. It should be longer than a regular knockdown to punish wayward self-damage shots.

hell to the no. the only thing close to what you proposed is when Isolator Bursas get a knockdown on you, and that leaves you vulnerable for more than long enough to get killed. the simplest answer to your problem is to just be careful using launchers. it's not a hard thing to do, because Launchers can be considered a long range weapon like Snipers. treat a Launcher like a Sniper and only fire when you're convinced you have a clear shot and you won't run into any problems.

no, the real problem with launchers is that they are poor at killing high leveled enemies, though perhaps that's more to do with Blast Damage as a Whole. either way, practice discipline with launchers. if you can't manage it, use a Shotgun instead.

On 2018-09-23 at 10:31 AM, Tangent-Valley said:

-snip-

This guy gets it. No matter how good you are with a launcher, you will inevitably down yourself unintentionally, even if it's a bullet-jumping teammate coming from behind at the exact moment you're firing a shot. Having the player go to the brink of death is also a good suggestion.

Shield-gating was supposed to fix this but I'm not sure what ever happened to that.

Also even without self-damage launchers are in a pretty bad state anyways. Ever since the blanket launcher fix that ruined the Tonkor (explosions no longer ALWAYS headshot) they're just not that great in the damage department. Plus considering that they all have the issues of low max ammo/rare ammo drops, long reloads, and slow firerates/charge speeds they pretty much need utility mods to function.

The only exception to this is the Lenz as it doesn't have the utility issues and properly telegraphs it's range.

Ive just started using the Zarr (omgomgomgomg) and ive slapped my first forma on it.  I will probably slap 4 or 5 on because i LOVE the weapon.  Have killed myself with it a couple of times but im getting better at NOT killing myself simply because i have become acustomed to the 2 firing modes, cannon mode (omgomgomgomg) and barrage mode (not quite omgomgomgomg but still omgomg)

Havent tried it in crazy high levels yet, because i havent fully forma'd it, but i have a feeling it will hold its own.  If it doesnt, it is still a glorious destroyer of trash mobs.

KABOOM!

woops, dead again.