Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Split Swords DESERVE more love. They're too amazing of a concept to leave like this

(PSN)Ch1b1N1njaGam1ng

Dual bladed weapons have been my guilty pleasure in any game, World of Warcraft's Warglaives, Zidanes Dual blades in Final Fantasy 9 hell if we want something more modern, Groh from Soul Calibur 6

But seeing the Dark Split sword in Warframe I can't help but feel...Empty. There is SO much that could be done with the concept of split swords yet it's devolved into a heavy blade with a dual sword R3.

I request that Split Swords be given their own Archetype entirely. With their own movesets and stance mods So the dark split sword and many others, can FINALLY be the badass dual bladed weapons they DESERVE to be. 

+1. it's one of the most neglected melee weapons and it has a lot of potential. by rights it should be given it's own stance. I imagine it's moves will be kind of like polearm/staff attacks with a lot of spinning and twirling strikes. I'm hoping for transforming combos like in Bloodborne where we switch between heavy blade and dual blades with some attacks. maybe they have this planned for melee 3.0? we'll soon find out.

but still you know they are like the top 3 dual sword and one of the worst heavy blades... Yeah I agree with everyone else but the dual swords would have to be nerfed then so nope I want my dual swords; since if they don't nerf them and add everything here they would be... broken

Edited by ShadowHeartRoyalGuards

4 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

I imagine it's moves will be kind of like polearm/staff attacks with a lot of spinning and twirling strikes. I'm hoping for transforming combos like in Bloodborne where we switch between heavy blade and dual blades with some attacks.

I was thinking more like Groh from soulcalibur 6. He both incorporates duel bladed and dual wielding in one moveset. Instead of manually going from one to the other like you do in bloodborne pressing L1, I feel like it should incorporate both in one moveset as well, flowing from one to the other automatically.

One form of the split sword will always be better than the other.  Maybe not strictly better all the time, but better enough that it's not worth switching. 

Now if they gave each form a purpose (crit vs status, fast vs slow with a stun or other effect, different physical or elemental damage types etc.) AND a way to switch mid game or even mid combo and had special split weapon stances that covered both weapon forms, we might have something, but New melee animations are one of the most time consuming things in game to design so don't be surprised if they can't be bothered.

11 hours ago, Marvelous_A said:

I still don't understand why DE refuses to give it the ability to switch in game. 

The plan didn't work and other things got in the way that are far more important than a single weapon. This wording implies they have a working mechanic and just don't release it.

15 hours ago, (PS4)Ch1b1N1njaGam1ng said:

So the dark split sword and many others, can FINALLY be the badass dual bladed weapons they DESERVE to be.

What others?

5 hours ago, peterc3 said:

The plan didn't work and other things got in the way that are far more important than a single weapon. This wording implies they have a working mechanic and just don't release it.

It's like saying Redeemer didn't deserve the work coz there was only one gun blade which is obviously not true. Once you make the first one you use the template for more. Besides, it's obvious that using two different stances in one game is entirely possible as evidenced by exalted melees. Carrying the melee mods over different melee stances is also possible as evidenced by old exalted weapons. So I really don't see why DE can't do this.

I mean sure there are priorities but if you use it as an excuse not to finish the work you may as well just don't start it at all. Now it stays a wasted opportunity forever.

Edited by Marvelous_A

vor 18 Stunden schrieb SenariousNex:

Cause extra mechanics need to be added for just 1 weapon. 

Shouldnt be too hard imo...we have primaries and secondaries with 2 or more firemodes, so the dual-sword/heavy-blade stances could work like firemodes.

- possibilty a) give 2 slots for stance mods in each loadout (primary/secondary), you only get extra capacity of one mod ofc, and the mods are the same for both stances

- possibility b) Loadout A is for stance A, Loadout B for stance B, you can mod each stance individually

- add 1 animation ingame for when you change the weapon type

- pressing the alternative firemode button switches the weapontype

- we dont need a whole new combo-animation set, it just uses the ones that are assigned to the standard stance mods

Like others said, there has always been a weapon that introduced a new mechanic alone. But since this could be a great mechanic that has the possibilty to add a lot of fun and variety to (already existing and future) melee weapons, it could be worth the time working on it. And its not like this would be a niche-thing like Raids, Conclave, Framefighter or something like that but a standard-game mechanic lots of people use on a regular basis.

Seen a guy talk about it bringing more mechanics than needed and someone else say one mode will always be better than the other, but that doesn't have to be the case!

What we CAN do is simplify it down. Have the split sword switch from dual bladed moves to dual wielding moves all in one combo, BUT it'd come with removing manual switching entirely