Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Do People Need An Opt Out For Stalker Mode?

BloodKitten

4 hours ago, (PS4)Shelneroth said:

The problem is Player Stalker is free to attack anyone in the squad. So out players could still be attacked even if they are not the designated target.

They're going to get attacked anyway. If you start attacking the stalker, even if you arent the target, you could and usually will, get  hit by him at least once. So how is that different from NPC stalker? Seriously... you guys gotta come up with something better than WAAAAA. Stalker is stalker. Whether he is AI controlled or player controlled, he has the same physical limitation and benefit. It's not like he's going to suddenly have the players weapon that could one shot you.

1 minute ago, Sace said:

Exactly! Nobody should be forced after trying it. They can always get the mode-exclusive stuff via plat.

Well, actually most people's reply can be summarised as 'I don't know it so I hate it and everybody else does,too'.

Or more accurately...we don't like PvP so don't want to be forced into a game mode we do not like, if we want to try it we will try it of our own accord when we feel like it. 

We also don't want to be forced into it by putting everything behind plat or exclusive items.

No one's quitting Warframe over player stalker. DE can promote it as an added bullet point, and build the inevitable hype.

The only thing probably holding DE back is figuring out how they're going to implement it right to prevent trolling and add some lore to it. 

Arguing is pointless

4 hours ago, ThumpumGood said:

They're going to get attacked anyway. If you start attacking the stalker, even if you arent the target, you could and usually will, get  hit by him at least once. So how is that different from NPC stalker? Seriously... you guys gotta come up with something better than WAAAAA. Stalker is stalker. Whether he is AI controlled or player controlled, he has the same physical limitation and benefit. It's not like he's going to suddenly have the players weapon that could one shot you.

You can just leave the area the AI stalker is in, it won't come after you...a player stalker could do that.  The teleport only works on the target as far as I know too. 

6 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

It's better to focus on those that DO NOT want to do something in a public group over those that do.  We've got an entire game mode that can hold a player captive, survival, if they don't want to 'carry on' and that really doesn't go down well in general. 

So forcing players to play a game mode they may not want to even try....god I love how some people are really trying to force this game mode onto people when it's pretty clear from threads that a LOT of people don't want it.. more people dislike PvP in this game than like it, this is PvP and just because it's stalker isn't going to change that..

the thing is stalker spawns on a player. so if that played theorectically had opted IN they should be allowed to have that player based stalker. or should they. my post was me questioning how a split opt out / opt in can affect pubs. since stalker spawns on a single person not the squad. and it mostly targets that player. so theoretically even if 3 people have it off. if one person has it on and possibly if the other players arent even marked. a player controlled stalker can still spawn.

BUT is that fair? 

it can be consider fair to the person who wants that stalker if they spawn it. and it could be unfair to the one who doesn't. but the same can apply the other way around.

11 minutes ago, Sace said:

I think the majority of players would opt-out before even trying it while stating that it is the worst. That is what most people do.

That's what I'm going to do, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Trying is not going to change my mind. I do not want to PvP in any form or capacity in Warframe.

try-not.jpg

And if DE were to force me to 'try' I would only resent it even more.

4 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

No one's quitting Warframe over player stalker. DE can promote it as an added bullet point, and build the inevitable hype.

The only thing probably holding DE back is figuring out how they're going to implement it right to prevent trolling and add some lore to it. 

Arguing is pointless

The problem with asserting that DE will remove the elements of the mode which promote griefing is that DE deliberately included those elements in the first place.

Also, I have yet to see you engage with my prior argument, which I'm going to restate:

If Stalker mode is an amazing idea which would be ruined by including an opt out function, then Stalker mode is not an amazing idea.

Edited by BornWithTeeth

1 minute ago, BornWithTeeth said:

The problem with asserting that DE will remove the elements of the mode which promote griefing is that DE deliberately included those elements in the first place.

Also, I have yet to see anyone in favour of the mode engage with my prior argument, which I'm going to restate:

If Stalker mode is an amazing idea which would be ruined by including an opt out function, then Stalker mode is not an amazing idea.

i'm pretty sure i quoted you. 

Just now, BornWithTeeth said:

No one is addressing it because it's not that great of an argument.

Because they don't want to fracture the player base I'm assuming?  How will they deal with blended groups? How do they deal with people opting and then opting in? It's better to just have player stalker feel like advanced a.i. I guarantee people will get over it, unless it messes with matchmaking or has obvious trolling loop holes

il y a 9 minutes, (PS4)FriendSharkey a dit :

"Hey guys this Headshotacarebear on Youtube...here's me owning all these Warframe care bears...listen to them cry as I hump their faces!"...Then you got twitch streamers doing the same and then PVE's oasis is burned to the ground...If I want to play anything PVP I'lll play Conclave...let alone there's a troubling reason underneath all the others that some PVE players play PVE and not PVP due to being walking ragefests due to the power fantasy being challenged and they are waiting to just happen who'll swat someone in real life....It needs to be a opt out and needs to be it's own game far from normal Warframe PVE as possible...

If you REALLY want to mess with people instead of PvPing, when you become the stalker... run away. I was going to save this until it happened but I just want people to see how ridicualous they are being so Im giving it up now. Just run away. Runs straight for extraction or back to the beginning. Or stand there and do nothing. Give people Stalker freebies.

Edited by D20
No ad hominem pls.

3 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Because they don't want to fracture the player base I'm assuming?  How will they deal with blended groups? How do they deal with people opting and then opting in? It's better to just have player stalker feel like advanced a.i. I guarantee people will get over it, unless it messes with matchmaking or has obvious trolling loop holes

You're trying to ignore the real implication there. If Stalker mode would fail due to having an opt out, that means that the majority of players just wouldn't want it, and that leaves people in favour of the mode trying to argue that what they want should matter more, even if they're a significant minority.

Also, obvious trolling loopholes? Hypernaut, please. The mode has been demonstrated and it is made of nothing but trolling loopholes. Anonymous Stalker chooses targets by name, can spawn in and attack mission objectives? Jesus Christ, how did anyone think that was a good idea.

Edited by BornWithTeeth

5 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Or.. they can listen to what the majority of their community is saying.. even if only by not playing the already existing PvP. And act accordingly. You're suggesting they just pull an EA or an Activision and basically just do what they want regardless of the fact that they already know that their players don't want it.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I love DE because they -aren't- another EA or Activision, because they -are- willing to listen and recognize when something was or is a mistake.

Edited by Lanadra

Just now, BornWithTeeth said:

You're trying to ignore the real implication there. If Stalker mode would fail due to having an opt out, that means that the majority of players just wouldn't want it, and that leaves people in favour of the mode trying to argue that what they want should matter more, even if they're a significant minority.

I mean, people would've opted out of operators too right? They would opt out of many things just because. 

4 minutes ago, Lanadra said:

Or.. they can listen to what the majority of their community is saying.. even if only by not playing the already existing PvP. And act accordingly. You're suggesting they just pull an EA or an Activision and basically just do what they want regardless of the fact that they already know that their players don't want it.

"Majority"?

Says who? On the forums a "majority" didn't want conclave. They did it anyway. The "majority" hate rivens. The "majority" tend to hate everything DE does anyway...I don't think that influences they're opinions much. 

Edited by Hypernaut1

for what I'm concerned the points are 2

- pvp in warframe is what is more far from balance and I don't see any way it will be not, as consequence of this, the stalker mode will either be a "suicide" or "free kill/let's annoy someone else" button.

- stalker could not just limit himself to attack the target but could mess with other people (who could potentially be low level players getting helped by a friend)  or even worst with defensive objective leding to the failure of the mission.

So in order to be a good feature, it need to be well analyzed, polished and tested, and DE are not master at it, so let's just avoid taking the risk to mess up for a feature which nobody want in the first place, and focus more on what is really needed.

I can't decide if I'm for or against this mode at this moment, what I'm interested in though and probably missed in one of the threads, but right now you are isolated in one room/tile when Stalker appears right?  

Does anyone know if it will be the same when/if the PVP aspect is added to the fight?  

The reason I'm asking is, in short: If the tile remains open, potentially, it could be interesting to chase your target around the map a bit. At the same time it will be possible for Stalker to bolt and try to make the player fail their mission or increase the mission time as much as possible (trolling?). If the tile is isolated, the PVP battle will simply be too fast and limited in regards to movement.

4 minutes ago, ThumpumGood said:

If you REALLY want to mess with people instead of PvPing, when you become the stalker... run away. I was going to save this until it happened but I just want people to see how ridicualous they are being so Im giving it up now. Just run away. Runs straight for extraction or back to the beginning. Or stand there and do nothing. Give people Stalker freebies.

I guess you read over the power fantasy part..running away..ruins that as well...It's a bad idea to mix PVP with PVE players...You don't want PVE players in PVP conclave..they'll just throw matches or create work around to get at gear by jumping off cliffs or helping each other throw matches...I watched PVE players form conga lines in Destiny year 1 to mess with PVP players and their game by destroying their own teammates by killing themselves in droves to just finish the match as fast as possible...

Don't mix the two....

2 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I mean, people would've opted out of operators too right? They would opt out of many things just because. 

That was a major lore decision affecting pretty much all future quests...and even then they made an option for players to mute their Operators.

1 minute ago, Hypernaut1 said:

"Majority"?

Says who? On the forums a "majority" didn't want conclave. They did it anyway. 

The majority of players do opt out of Conclave, and they are not forced to play Conclave. Any random mission is not going to suddenly become a Conclave event. This is a terrible comparison.

Just now, Hypernaut1 said:

I have essentially opted out of: Operators, Eidolons, ESO and Conclave. Because I don't enjoy it.

And guess what. I never have to deal with most of these functions because I choose not to. Only Operators occasionally force themselves into my experience when another quest that requires their use drops, which will usually grate my nerves as I begrudgingly trudge through it while throwing out rather colorful profanities as I do.

Without a hard opt-out, you cannot just decide ''I don't want Player Stalker'' and not have to deal with him. And don't, don't even go to the ''just don't kill bosses'' nonsense, that, is not a solution to anything.

2 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

That was a major lore decision affecting pretty much all future quests...and even then they made an option for players to mute their Operators.

The majority of players do opt out of Conclave, and they are not forced to play Conclave. Any random mission is not going to suddenly become a Conclave event. This is a terrible comparison.

Umm... I'm not talking about opting out. I'm referring to the fact that DE adds what they want, despite what the forums thinks is the "majority"... And they do okay

Edited by Hypernaut1

Just now, Hypernaut1 said:

Umm... I'm not talking about opting out. I'm referring to the fact that DE adds what they want, despite what the forums thinks is the "majority". 

Ok, that's fair. And if you take a look at my posts on the topic you'll find that I am not in fact arguing that DE should not implement it. I've said as much several times now. What I'm saying is that implementing as a mandatory mode which has no opt out function is a bad idea, and is a tacit admission that it's a bad idea.

If the mode has to be made mandatory in order to work, that is a direct admission that people won't like it. DE Scott already said that.

If your position on this is "Oh, screw everyone else, I want PvP and I don't care," then I'm not going to keep interacting with you on this topic.