Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 3.0 Killed Melee

Sarynesthesia

I've been an avid melee user since melee 2.0 first came out. I've always loved that feeling of pressure as you get backed into a corner, guns blazing, low on ammo, only to pull out your melee and go on a rampage. now that melee is part of the gunplay, it feels more fluid in most cases.
that is, unless I want to go into melee mode.
it seems that you can no longer lock yourself in melee mode and use the primary fire key to attack with your melee. the way my keys were bound, M1 was my primary fire button, M2 was my ADS button. in melee mode, M1 was attack and M2 was block. now, I'm stuck hitting my quick melee button to use my combos, and it feels awful. I would consider making my M1 button my melee, but then using guns would be way more difficult.

my solution?

bring back melee mode. just let us hold the weapon switch key to go into melee mode again, while also keeping the new system bound to quick melee. I like being able to swap back and forth faster, and I love the new effects and ground slam, but without melee mode I'm seriously considering quitting warframe.

the way I play the game is no longer possible in the same way, and I miss it already.

DE please give us a compromise

sincerely, melee mains

1 hour ago, Ryim_Drykeon said:

You do know there's an option in Options to set the melee to attack with the primary fire key after the first quick attack with E, right?

WAIT FOR REAL? damn they could have made that more noticeable! you, my friend, have made my day and saved my life.

34 minutes ago, FlyingDice said:

The real issue is that there's not quick melee any more. It just launches you into the first attack animation of whatever weapon and stance you're using instead.

What? No! I do not want this change! If Melee 2.9 is the cost of Hyld, I don't want her. Begone from my console, Shield Maiden!

I use Shattering Impact on sparring weapons entirely too much to be locked into that terrible breakdancing stance. There's no mobility control and the attack rate is all over the place. I just want to Rockem Sockem Tenno off their armor while building up a Blood Rush and maybe proc Viral on my Hirudo.

DE, you're ruining it!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MCLapisGaming said:

WAIT FOR REAL? damn they could have made that more noticeable! you, my friend, have made my day and saved my life.

Good thing you went completely off the deep end with that hyperbolic title, right? So sick of people complaining about the melee changes when its objectively better in every conceivable way.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, FlyingDice said:

The real issue is that there's not quick melee any more. It just launches you into the first attack animation of whatever weapon and stance you're using instead.

If I have one problem with Melee 2.9 (don't let your memes be dreams) and by proxy 3.0 it's that I absolutely hate most of the stance animations and essentially just equipped them for the extra points. I loved my quick attacks and now I'm locked into whatever fresh hell the stance animation has dreamt up for me today. The only thing that's kept me from totally exploding is that I still only really use melee to 

• Get out of my Archwing
  • Launch my Zenistar Disk
  • Execute Covert Lethatlity finishers. (which the more I think about it, isn't technically melee? is it E or X to execute a finisher?) 

I used to use the (ugh what are those infested weapons that restore health on strike called) to quick punch stuff (I called them my punchy claws) and now it just makes whatever frame I'm using look like they're breakdancing and the whole time I'm just thinking "could ya don't" until I just stop using them until the next time I forget that's just what they do now. 

Edited by Oreades

1 hour ago, MCLapisGaming said:

it's still not the same but you'll figure it out. you will also come to realize it's more fun going with only melee equipped as having guns will remove the other melee functions.

bro... the option was literally called out directly in the patch notes. only your own commitment to ignorance is keeping you in the dark. write less book length complaints and actually inform yourself about things in life. 

23 minutes ago, Sovereign991 said:

Good thing you went completely off the deep end with that hyperbolic title, right? So sick of people complaining about the melee changes when its objectively better in every conceivable way.

it's only truly better for people who main guns and use melee as a backup.

4 hours ago, Sovereign991 said:

So sick of people complaining about the melee changes when its objectively better in every conceivable way.

Look who's being hyperbolic now.

"Objectively better in every conceivable way".

• Blocking is objectively worse, as it received a direct nerf and it's no longer possible to glide/block. Gliding requires you to have your gun out, which means you'll take damage you would have otherwise blocked with the old Melee.
  • RMB combos can currently be pretty horrible to pull off, it feels like the game is actively working against you by routinely shoving your gun in your face and messing with your camera, something especially annoying if you're using a scoped gun. Having a button that is used in melee but will also switch you to gunplay is simply ridiculous.
  • Whilst I don't consider those who use quick melee to be proper "melee users", it's benefits were undeniable. Whilst using a slow firing weapon and having a nullifier encroach upon you, quick melee was superior to the current iteration, an iteration in which several stances will actually send you into the bubble instead of whittling it down as normal.
  • Loss of regular sheathing/unsheathing animations is a bit of a blow to me.
Edited by DeMonkey
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Sovereign991 said:

Not even slightly true. Removing quick melee and manual blocking has made it objectively worse for all use cases except intentionally using a specific stance for a proc or good animation... which almost nobody does.

Edited by FlyingDice
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Sovereign991 said:

That is your opinion, not mine. I've only ever used quick melee, because I do not like being locked into animations that are too slow and or impede my movement.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ryim_Drykeon said:

You do know there's an option in Options to set the melee to attack with the primary fire key after the first quick attack with E, right?

But do you know that it is not a replacement for the Old FULL MELEE mode that we had with M2.0? 

I am pretty sure now that, those who says that the current version of melee is outright better than what we had, only used Quick Melee and spin-2-win macro, thus have no regard for the numerous combo that has now become invalid, and too cumbersome to pull off.

Edited by 541K4T

I like the new melee mode. I think things will get improved upon as we go. I’m glad DE continues to work on it. 

It’s not perfect and it will be better. I wish for more options for controller pad mapping though. That’s all I can think of right now. Self-damage is harder to perform due to the change in melee channel. 

They literally said that both in patchnotes and in their stream.

They also pasted those patchnotes on the login screen the moment it came out...

4 minutes ago, 541K4T said:

But do you know that it is not a replacement for the Old FULL MELEE mode that we had with M2.0 ?

Why yes, I did know that. However, the OP was mainly concerned with not being able to use LMB to attack with melee. Which the option I pointed out corrects.

Did you know that not all Melee 3.0 changes are in yet, and our feedback may yet change those that already are?

I am NOT a fan of this new blocking system. I feel it's clunky and ill-suited to players with skill. However, I am reserving Feedback until all changes are in. Unless the Devs are brain dead, they have to see the issues we, as players, have already pointed out. What looks good on paper doesn't always work in practice. DE has to determine which is which and balance the changes to match.

What will make old quick-melee players happy, will be a "stance" or all stances, having the default attack pattern be the old quick-attack.
New combos will need other buttons thrown in.

I used quick-attack Melee as my "main", with guns as "backup."
This new system makes Guns always your "main" and throws in combo-melee as a sidekick mode that locks your movement in place, launches your character everywhichway and disables functions that old Melee-mains relied on as part of their skill-based gameplay.

New Melee is Objectively worse, in every way possible, IMO.

Melee 3.0 needs to add fixes that address those issues, or it breaks the game for me.

49 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Look who's being hyperbolic now.

"Objectively better in every conceivable way".

• Blocking is objectively worse, as it received a direct nerf and it's no longer possible to glide/block. Gliding requires you to have your gun out, which means you'll take damage you would have otherwise blocked with the old Melee.
  • RMB combos can currently be pretty horrible to pull off, it feels like the game is actively working against you by routinely shoving your gun in your face and messing with your camera, something especially annoying if you're using a scoped gun. Having a button that is used in melee but will also switch you to gunplay is simply ridicuous.
  • Whilst I don't consider those who use quick melee to be proper "melee users", it's benefits were undeniable. Whilst using a slow firing weapon and having a nullifier encroach upon you, quick melee was superior to the current iteration, an iteration in which several stances will actually send you into the bubble instead of whittling it down as normal.
  • Loss of regular sheathing/unsheathing animations is a bit of a blow to me.

Glide blocking is a meme, you take reduced damage already in the air, and if you actually needed to block damage to survive, you'd be DoA as soon as you started attacking when you land at the enemy because nothing exists in a vacuum and other things are going to be shooting/meleeing you while you're attacking. So miss me with the ridiculous contention.

RMB combos are literally identical to how they functioned before, because even if hold down RMB forces an aim, there is zero latency between that action and starting an RMB combo. It is functionally no different. You wont even scope in if youre using a sniper and you try to do an RMB combo. the fluidity is faster than the scoping animation. The same logic applies to non-scoped weapons. Again, fake point of contention.

Complaining about not being able to quick melee nully bubbles, as if that is actually faster than what we have with the new system where you can go from wild melee abandon to instant primary or secondary high RoF weapons that will out time to kill a nully bubble even if youre stacking AS on your melee.

The loss of sheathing is valid if you're into RPing for cool points i guess. I'd take that as a loss for a better melee system.

1 minute ago, Sovereign991 said:

Glide blocking is a meme, you take reduced damage already in the air, and if you actually needed to block damage to survive, you'd be DoA as soon as you started attacking when you land at the enemy because nothing exists in a vacuum and other things are going to be shooting/meleeing you while you're attacking. So miss me with the ridiculous contention.

It's still something that has been lost with the new system. This is a negative, and therefore is one of the few ways that the new system isn't "objectively better in every conceivable way".

It doesn't even have to be about damage, you can block blast procs and scorpion pulls, this was quite useful whilst aim gliding so as to not be pulled down to earth. That is no longer possible.

3 minutes ago, Sovereign991 said:

RMB combos are literally identical to how they functioned before

Lol. Just lol. Ironically you go ahead and explain how the RMB combo works with the current system, and funnily enough it's not "literally identical" to the old system at all. Your continued usage of hyperbole is further proof of your hypocrisy.

6 minutes ago, Sovereign991 said:

Complaining about not being able to quick melee nully bubbles, as if that is actually faster than what we have with the new system where you can go from wild melee abandon to instant primary or secondary high RoF weapons that will out time to kill a nully bubble even if youre stacking AS on your melee.

Did you miss the part where I said, "Whilst using a slow firing weapon"?

You did, didn't you? It's okay, glad I could repeat it for you, you evidently needed it.

6 minutes ago, Sovereign991 said:

The loss of sheathing is valid if you're into RPing for cool points i guess. I'd take that as a loss for a better melee system.

And there we have it, you admit that there is a loss, rendering the system not better in "every conceivable way", your comment hypocritical because you yourself used hyperbole and this entire thing... humourous.