Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Riven Madness

(XBOX)Erudite Prime

Proposal 1: Updates to Riven Disposition do not affect currently existing Riven Mods; only rerolls or brand new Rivens will have the updated stats. 

Proposal 2: Riven Disposition REMOVED, all set to 1.0, but a new Mod slot for Rivens is added to all weapons, like Exilus slots. These slots will also be useable for mods that affect reload speed and ammo. 

Proposal 3: Rivens for everything. Warframes, Archwings, Companions, everything.

3 minutes ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

Proposal 1: Updates to Riven Disposition do not affect currently existing Riven Mods; only rerolls or brand new Rivens will have the updated stats. 

Undermines the entire system.

Proposal 2: Riven Disposition REMOVED, all set to 1.0, but a new Mod slot for Rivens is added to all weapons, like Exilus slots. These slots will also be useable for mods that affect reload speed and ammo. 

This is just naked power creep for no reason.

Proposal 3: Rivens for everything. Warframes, Archwings, Companions, everything.

Accelerationism. Bad for politics. Bad for game design.

They aren't removing Rivens. 

1 minute ago, peterc3 said:

1. Undermines the entire system.

2. This is just naked power creep for no reason.

3. Accelerationism. Bad for politics. Bad for game design.

4. They aren't removing Rivens. 

1. That's the point.

2. Again, I'm glad you understand. 

3. Please use smaller words with me, and keep politics out of this.

4. Good

8 minutes ago, (PS4)abbacephas said:

Proposal 4: Remove rivens entirely. Buff weapons as necessary. Nerf weapons as necessary.

Rivens don't have any bearing on the nerfs and buffs happening. There's literally no change to the game that would happen for this to be true, today.

Pretend they don't exist because they aren't really part of the game and wait for nerfs and buffs to happen. Problem solved.

5 minutes ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

1. That's the point.

2. Again, I'm glad you understand. 

3. Please use smaller words with me, and keep politics out of this.

4. Good

If that's the point, why make the thread? DE would just as soon turn Warframe into a match 3 gatcha game.

You need access to the internet to even view and post here. Use it to expand your vocab and deal with the fact politics is part of everything, especially art.

Your proposals are the same as removing Rivens. Therefore they are all just as impossible as removing them in actuality.

4 minutes ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

If DE were to delete Rivens, what would an appropriate compensation be? 

Nothing. Certainly not Plat. Kuva is ultimately only in the game to serve Rivens, so that's not really compensation. Nothing else is connected except Endo and people whine endlessly that they have too much of it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

If DE were to delete Rivens, what would an appropriate compensation be? 

Nothing.

26 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Rivens don't have any bearing on the nerfs and buffs happening. There's literally no change to the game that would happen for this to be true, today.

What, in your mind, is the point of rivens?

1 hour ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

I like idea for a new riven slot.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, (PS4)abbacephas said:

Extra stats on top, stats not included in any requirement or impetus for any other system in the game. Purely optional.

Ostensibly they are to bridge the gap between when the hivemind thinks a weapon should be changed and the time when it can actually be changed. A weapon with no real attention from the community would have a bigger incentive to use than one that everyone uses.

If I were to go to an extreme, it's to test whether players are capable of handling more frequent stat changes. To test whether players can restrain themselves.

59 minutes ago, (PS4)abbacephas said:

To keep us busy playing the game with more farming and RNG, ofc 😋

To the OP: I really dislike all 3 options. The frequent 3-month dispo changes at least are taking rivens in a better direction than it was before.

2 hours ago, (PS4)abbacephas said:

Proposal 4: Remove rivens entirely. Buff weapons as necessary. Nerf weapons as necessary.

You misunderstand the point of rivens. It's not to balance weapons, it's to make weak early weapons viable again once you reach endgame. Hence why their dispositions are no longer based on usage stats but rather on the weapon's power tier, as per DE's recent announcement. If you equalized weapon power by directly buffing and nerfing them, you'd destroy the early- and mid-game progression, which is in large part based on acquiring better guns as you climb MRs.

Edited by SordidDreams
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

You misunderstand the point of rivens. It's not to balance weapons, it's to make weak early weapons viable again once you reach endgame. Hence why their dispositions are no longer based on usage stats but rather on the weapon's power tier, as per DE's recent announcement.

they're partially based on usage stats and what DE thinks their power level should be.

What Rivens are is a tool to create an indefinitely-grindable subset of content because you're always chasing 'god rolls' and the god roll is generally extremely rare. Because of how disposition works, they also serve an additional minor benefit of encouraging the construction and use of a wider variety of equipment rather than immediately discarding all non-meta gear.

They more or less serve this purpose.

1 minute ago, MJ12 said:

they also serve an additional minor benefit of encouraging the construction and use of a wider variety of equipment rather than immediately discarding all non-meta gear. 

So we agree, the only difference is I consider that their main point. I have tried my hand at kuva farming and riven rolling, it's soul-crushingly boring and frustrating. That's why I don't think that's the main reason for their existence, I have a hard time believing a dev would design a system intentionally for the purpose of creating such an experience.

3 hours ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

Proposal 2: Riven Disposition REMOVED, all set to 1.0

This is all that really needs to happen. Maybe 1.25 to be on the safe side, just so they're not peeing in the cheerios of people who have a lot of 5 star rivens.

Edited by XaoGarrent

3 hours ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

I am genuinely surprised anyone thinks this.

Oh, it's true that it's working "as intended." The problem with making that argument, of course, is that you're now impugning the devs judgement, whether you intended to or not.

See, when something is working badly, but is also "working as intended," that doesn't mean the end user is at fault for using said thing in an unintended way, or for an unintended purpose. That means the engineer has manifest, observable, bad ideas.

If the devs wouldn't have explicitly stated their intent, we'd have frankly no idea what their intent was, because rivens "as intended" don't serve any useful purpose. In fact, they seem to be good at frustrating players any time their functionality is "corrected" to be more "in line" with "intended functionality." Which means the intended function of rivens in effect translates to a wad of gum in the gears.

A well designed system's purpose should be intuitively evident. A well designed system might need instruction on its use, but its purpose should never be in doubt, and when it is, that failure rests squarely on the shoulders of the people designing the system, not the people using it. If you have to explain the purpose of your system repeatedly, and people are still "misusing it," your system frankly sucks and needs a fundamental rework.

1. will only make it so older player keep all the stronger powercreeped mods and will destroy the market with over priced rivens that are actually impossible to earn/farm which in a way would actually turn this into a p2w game

2. by making rivens all the same disposition will again only turning the best weapons to be better and bad weapons meh which is why they introduced dispositions (in my opinion they should of just buff/nerf the weapon themselves). also a dedicated riven slot is just adding in more power creep when they already power creep everything to the point we barely find any challenge in this at all making the game dull/cheesy too many times to count.

3. companions maybe but warframes would actually start breaking the game, not only are you now adding rng to our characters but now you power creep them insanely all while throwing the balance even more out the window than it already is currently.