Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can't Believe I'm Saying This - I'm Looking Forward To The Next Nightwave Season

BornWithTeeth

15 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

and by now it's a handy way to give out side stories and lore, plus unique cosmetics.

As someone who did enjoy NW from the begginning I agree with all you said right up until this point. It is a very handy way to provide us with lore and stuff to do - when DE actually cares to do it properly. This Intermission II has the duration of a full season (maybe more? Remains to be seen), has no lore, and it's filled with recycled rewards that have no alternate stuff for those who already had those rewards from previous seasons or events.

I seriously hope they don't just treat NW as a second rate system that only comes handy to lazily drop off some filler stuff to shush players at drought times, and that they do treat it as the core gameplay system it is meant to be.

Other than that I am excited for season III as well.

Edited by (PS4)Hikuro-93

I'm not, skipped this Nightwave as is aside from goals that just happened to line up with what I was doing in game already. Don't miss it one bit, and the only carrot on a stick that could have drew me in was the Umbra forma.

But now there is an alternate means to get that, and I actually like Railjack, at least when it doesn't bug out and I get a decent crew to work with.

Frankly even then the Umbra Forma was not gonna drag me back to Nightwave, one actual reward months down the line, and requires a minimum of two to actually be valuable is not worth the time and effort sunk into it for me.

I'm not excited. Like Nightwave, Railjack is consuming and the two systems are mostly incompatible. We'll have to choose between doing repetitive boring tasks in Nightwave or doing new repetitive tasks in Railjack that are not boring yet.

Warframe by nature is a repetitive grind. The only thing what you can enjoy mostly is to kill something in the game. Nightwave are interesting in that aspect, that reward you to do quests what gives you fix rewards and you can skip them or finish them for acceptable rewards. Of course it would be nice to have more stuff, but DE is not creating side contents fast enough to be felt rewarded.

27 minutes ago, nslay said:

I'm not excited. Like Nightwave, Railjack is consuming and the two systems are mostly incompatible. We'll have to choose between doing repetitive boring tasks in Nightwave or doing new repetitive tasks in Railjack that are not boring yet.

Beware: Kill 1000 enemy fighters in hijacked Crew Ship. (I'm sorry and apologize in advance, if this actually gave DE the idea to add something like this...)

18 hours ago, Uan91 said:

A perfect example that sometimes you have to shut up and wait before fill the general forum with no-sense-rants, I hope every single user reads this topic

Hey man, these are forums for a video game.  Jumping the gun, putting out angry demands while in full on hysterics and rants claiming a game is dying is kinda what we do.  

• Like 2

On 2020-01-05 at 6:00 PM, BornWithTeeth said:

Hey, what can I say, the format's grown on me. I was a major critic of the first season of Nightwave, but the devs took onboard the criticisms they received (most of the simpler and more direct ones to apply, anyway) and by now it's a handy way to give out side stories and lore, plus unique cosmetics. Still a bit grindy and repetitive, but hey, Warframe.

You are not alone. I never disliked Nightwave. I disliked the challenges but DE took the criticism on the chin & now they are nearly all very sane & nothing too crazy. 

On 2020-01-05 at 6:06 PM, (PS4)corpusbonds said:

Yeah I’m getting annoyed with the intermission. Definitely ready for the new nw!

The downside is...since they released Empyrean undercooked when DE gets back it's going to be "All Hands on Deck" for Empyrean fixes, balances, & changes.

But because of this...they need to either do...

Intermission 2.5 (with new rewards) or update the Intermission 2 rewards. I'm rank 21 in intermission 2 & while I love buying up Kuva, Nitain, & potatoes...

Um...I'd like some S#&$ from Season 2 (which I missed) at this point. Like they could add then in for a HIGH credit cost. Like 100 or 200 for the Ephemera, Operator suit, & etc.

That or they could double the Intermission Credit rewards so we can buy more S#&$.

Increments of 15 is just insulting.

Make them 25 a pop. Add Umbra Forma BPs to the store (they drop in Veil Proxima off Caches so...) for 100 Intermission credits.

Something. Right now it's like old Alerts for me, barely anything besides weapon skins (which I'm now collecting because...why not? Gotta use these credits on something.) That I don't have.

I was a vocal critic of Nightwave when it first came out and I still think it's flawed. It's not simply a replacement for Alerts as it was billed, it's just something different. Getting creds to trade in the store for the old alert rewards, that's good. Needing the acts to get the reward track items.... I still question that. Either every act should reward creds for the store so you can buy the old alert items, as well as give you something unique on the reward track, or every rank should just give you cred and all the rewards on the track be in the store for you to buy in whatever order you want. I'd much rather spend nightwave creds on frame slots and arcanes than on Kuva bundles.

I'm of the opinion that all the reward track items should just be buyable for cred in the store. Let me do the acts for rep, get cred each time I rank up, then spend the cred on what I want. This intermission I had to grind through multiple things I already had (Arlo's Flame, Wolf Salute, Eidolon ephemera, liset skin, skateboard art, etc) in order to get to the things I really wanted (frame slot, Saturn 6 cosmetics, arcanes). I'd really rather just be able to buy the things I want out of the cred store. At the very least, if the game sees that you already have a certain item that was to be a Nightwave reward, it should give you creds instead so that you don't get an 'empty' reward.

They've worked on the system some, sure, and it's probably better than it was initially, but in my opinion it still has issues.

Series 1 was entirely too demanding: rep for the dailies was way too low and you really, really had to grind if you wanted to ensure you'd get to rank 30, not to mention the Wolf's low spawn chance and high difficulty meant getting his sledge parts was almost impossible for most players. DE not telling us exactly how many weeks we had to reach rank 30, or how many acts we could skip and still make it, was aggravating and really ratcheted up the FOMO. I went on vacation for a week and was absolutely sure that it meant I wouldn't be able hit 30 (and I didn't).

Intermission 1, honestly I skipped it. I may have gotten a couple of ranks in it but I was so burned out after Series 1 that I just didn't want to play.

Series 2 felt a whole lot better. The crazier acts were removed or scaled back, rep in general was boosted and I actually felt like I was making progress. I enjoyed series 2, especially the ability to take on the boss whenever I wanted just by crafting his key. No RNG there.

Intermission 2 has been.... I don't know. On the one hand it feels like they scaled things back up to somewhere between series 1 and 2. It's not as grindy as series 1, but feels more grindy than series 2. Probably because this intermission had 30 ranks instead of 15 like the first one. But, through mostly casual play I've been able to farm my way up to rank 28 and I have little doubt that I'll hit rank 30 before the end. I'm also glad they brought back the Saturn 6 cosmetics for this intermission because I was unable to get them during series 1.👍

Having acts 'recover' if you do all of the current week's stuff is a good thing; it helps alleviate the FOMO if you miss a day or two of playing. Some of it still needs work though.

• First of all, acts should not be gated behind game progression. "Kill profit taker" isn't very friendly to those who haven't ground enough progression in Fortuna to unlock that fight, especially when faction standing itself is a time-gated resource. That's 7000 rep you are guaranteeing some people won't get. Same with Eidolon hunts, and "do 3 sorties." Another issue with the Sorties elite weekly is that if you don't do your first sortie early enough in the week you wont be able to finish the act before reset. I get that there need to be hard weeklies so the try-hards and grindcore players have something they feel is actually worth their time to try, and I appreciate that those elites aren't entirely necessary to reach rank 30 anymore. I'm just saying that it's not exactly friendly to fresh players when they see something on their Nightwave screen but are actively told they cannot do. Either don't lock acts behind gated content, or provide an alternate if the account isn't far enough along to do it.
  • The 'perfect captures' on Orb Vallis needs work. On Eidolon the animals are already out there, so I don't necessarily have to initiate a hunt in order to get my captures. Not so on Orb Vallis: there are no animals at all until you start a hunt, which means you can easily screw up the captures. I loathe having to hunt on the Vallis.
    • suggested fix here is easy: have animals roaming the Vallis just as they roam the Plains. hunts can still be used to hunt specific animals for their tags, but roaming animals provide a convenient way to get captures as-needed.
  • The Ayatan Slotting act has been reduced, and that's good. I propose though that when the act is active statues should have a significantly increased chance of appearing on the maps. Not everyone has access to Arbitrations or Sorties as a source of statues, and Maroo's challenge isnt exactly player-friendly unless you've got good parkour skills or a high-efficiency high-duration Titania. Right now I just keep a handful of unslotted statues in reserve for when this act comes up, but not everyone hoards like I do.

A friend of mine started playing recently and has barely done any of the nightwave acts. She said it's partly because they aren't explained well: she didn't know what they were for, why she was supposed to be doing them, what she got out of it, etc. I explained it to her, and she understands it now, but it's another case of DE not clearly explaining their game to new players. I understand they intend to work on the new player experience, but right now it's not conveyed well. Furthermore, she's pretty disenfranchised with Nightwave in general since this intermission will be ending soon before she has any chance of getting to the better rewards higher-up in the track. I understand this is just bad timing on her part, but it's still a thing: she knows she wont be able to get to the end ranks in time and is therefore not terribly interested in trying the nightwave acts at all.

It's interesting to see the game universe broadened by things that aren't necessarily tied to the main story. I don't think the Wolf, or Arlo, have anything to do with the coming New War, and I'm okay with that. It gives the game world a sense of realism in that not everything is related to everything else.

Overall I don't dislike Nightwave as much as I used to. I still think it needs work, but I suppose it's a decent enough system.

Edited by Sentinel-14

On 2020-01-05 at 6:33 PM, Gabbynaru said:

I'm not. Unless "next Nightwave" means "removal of Nightwave:. Then I'm on board. Otherwise, nah. I want it dead and removed more than I want Conclave dead and removed.

Honestly idk what there even is to complain about at this point

Most of the acts are doable by all mastery levels
Catch up mechanic is godlike for people who can't play every day
intermissions having old stuff solves the FOMO problem without having too much "oh i already got this"
It's a very straightforward progression system, no RNG involved, you get what you earn
It's not too short, there's a good amount of playtime involved in moving through the ranks, but you get rewarded fairly well for your time so it's not a senselessly long grind
There's fun lore involved, with the side stories they've released with each main season
The acts are moderately entertaining, as they give you an incentive to go and run missions or do tasks you haven't touched in a while, which can be refreshing. Vault runs or Lua puzzles aren't something you need to do once you have the mods, but running thru them can make you a few plat and is a bit of a throwback to something you might not otherwise bother with.

I don't really understand people who complain about being forced to run missions they don't want to do. Alerts worked virtually the same way, having randomly generated mission types. And you by far don't have to do every act, so you can skip egregious ones (like if you really hate the profit taker fight for example).

Idk, i just feel like there's very little that's concrete to complain about besides "I just don't like it because I don't like it." Personally I far prefer it to the randomly appearing nitain, or the 3,400 credit alerts.

On 2020-01-05 at 7:00 PM, BornWithTeeth said:

Hey, what can I say, the format's grown on me. I was a major critic of the first season of Nightwave, but the devs took onboard the criticisms they received (most of the simpler and more direct ones to apply, anyway) and by now it's a handy way to give out side stories and lore, plus unique cosmetics. Still a bit grindy and repetitive, but hey, Warframe.

I tolerate nightwave because I can actually work towards a goal and not be locked behind 20 layers of rng bullS#&$.

On 2020-01-07 at 10:05 PM, ImaNukeYourFace said:

Honestly idk what there even is to complain about at this point

You know, the cardinal gaming sins: Utter boredom and ridiculous time wasting. You can complain about Alerts all you want, they at least were way more rewarding than this. You did one mission, you got what it advertised. Good luck getting 10k standing in a single mission now.

35 minutes ago, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd said:

I tolerate nightwave because I can actually work towards a goal and not be locked behind 20 layers of rng bullS#&$.

That's honestly why I'm so torn on Nightwave. On the one hand, the RNG is... well, not  entirely gone, but it's gone more than enough for it to be entirely reasonable, even good. 

On the other hand, doing chores to clear through like 8 tiers of mediocre 'rewards' for something actually good or useful is a lot less great. At least with alerts it was a one and done deal. 

Was a fan of alerts early on, when nightwave came initially i thought **** this. It has grown on me as well. Its like achievement goals to aim for which i do like a lot (i dont mind forma or ayatan ones - im one of those who are semi hoarders). The comment about the low credits though - if it was higher people would just grab everything off NW store very fast and as we all know - the stuff available for creds is limited and rarely changes .

And with that - even though its only source (aside from hard grind), they could offer a bit more variety (cant be that hard to make a few more cosmetics rotate them in etc - despite me not being a fan of skin rewards id like a few more optional cosmetics as rewards)

Oh the stories are decent . 🙂

On 2020-01-05 at 4:09 PM, (XB1)Deputy Facepain said:

It’s still just a way to put things I’d like to get, behind repetitive chores that up my playtime. I’d be happier if it was time played type of thing. Say you get so many points per half hour played, and the points you get are capped daily like syndicate standing. I’d really like to play how/what I want, and still be able to get rewards. 

Kinda wish they would just riff Destiny 2's season pass thing and have it based on experience. But DE can't really do that unless they time gate it due to experience farms like stealth addaro runs. 

On 2020-01-07 at 11:56 PM, Ham_Grenabe said:

What would constitute an adequately rewarding system, in your estimation? Besides alerts - let's assume they're not coming back.

How about "You finished a challenge, you unlock a reward from the Nightwave pool". Obviously tiered so you don't get an Umbral Forma by displaying a glyph, with limited pools, like the Sorties in the original incarnation, so that you don't get multiple cosmetics or Arcanes, and with the limited number of challenges per week, cause otherwise people would drain the pool in a day, but it'll still be way more rewarding than this and would actually give you a reason to do those challenges, even the menial ones.

Why can't we have an in-game timer that tells us how many weeks are remaining for the current Nightwave? Even Dauntless manages this without issue. And they even extend it if needed by updating the in-game notification so players don't have to visit an external site to find the info.

How many Nightwave and intermissions have we had now and I still don't know how many weeks it will last, but DE will gladly take away your NW credits the day it ends even if the next NW doesn't start for another week. Could you imagine a week of no new NW missions with the store still open. Players could still complete recovered missions and spend their NW credits though. Sorry, that makes too much sense for a transition between phases.

• Like 1

On 2020-01-05 at 4:24 PM, Sarge_Tarmus said:

Well... It's somewhat an unpopular opinion, but for a person, who usually has time to play only during weekend, Nightwave is a great way to keep me engaged, as long as tehre are new rewards, not some re-runs, like the current intemission.

That's what I like about it too.