Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shotguns update

SASoHBoss

weakest? have you tried arca plasmor or 100% status tigris prime? in fact, even base Hek is used as beginner friendly weapon since can be used as mr 4, but can handle the entire starchart by its own

in what kind of aspects are you telling us that shotguns are bad right now? reload speed? the fact that they lack DPS (damage per second)? because of kuva weapon variants?...

• Like 4

Shotguns are probably one of the top primary weapons right now. Are they good for everything? clearly not!
But compare them to most bows, most assault rifle or even most snipers and they are performing way better.

Are there exception? clearly! 
Some bows are amazing, i would argue most of those bows have some type of AoE, but i am sure some will disagree with me.
Snipers same to be honest, outside of Boss hunting i do not really see a use for them.
Generic assault rifles, honestly i have no idea why someone would use them, i mean beside to get the mastery or simply because they enjoy them.

Shotguns are basically, close quarter sniper rifles. Maybe they feel weak to you because you are trying to hit an enemy that's far beyond the fall out range of whatever shotgun you are using.

While i do agree that Assault rifles need a touch up, i also have to remind everyone that Tiberon Prime, and Opticor Vandal, exist, and they belong in the Assault Rifle category 🙂

Shotguns hit hard, the basic strun is pretty weak. Boar is weakish but fires quite fast, prime is probably one of the best status weapons in the game though. Sobek is a good mid range shotgun, great with acid shells, and with the reload buff it got, it is quite a bit better now. The kohm is one of the most powerful weapons available but suffers from crazy ammo consumption issues, so I rarely if ever will suggest it or the kuva version.

Automatic rifles were practically non-viable due to ammo consumption rates until they got a stealth buffed with 60 round pickups a while back, so you can now spray and pray pretty constantly without much of a concern if you want that.

Only the "automatic" shotguns (Boar family, and I include the Strun family despite technically semi-auto) are bad, every other shotgun either deals massive base stats (Tigris, Corinth, Arca Plasmor) or has a mod to make them amazing (Hek family has either Scattered Justice or Primed Ravage)

25 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Only the "automatic" shotguns (Boar family, and I include the Strun family despite technically semi-auto) are bad, every other shotgun either deals massive base stats (Tigris, Corinth, Arca Plasmor) or has a mod to make them amazing (Hek family has either Scattered Justice or Primed Ravage)

I have to disagree with the automatic shotguns statement.

Boar Prime is a status monster. It shreds through armor really fast, and if you build for viral and hunters munitions, well, it just gets even more insane. Strun Wraith is easily one of the best shotguns in game currently.

As of right now, i would say Hek and Vaykor Hek are just starting shotguns. The hek damage falls hard the more you dive into the enemy levels, and a critical shotgun like the Vaykor hek, only one thing about it: It cannot use Scattered Justice. Plus, there is a better critical shotgun, that ppl can get faster than the vaykor hek: the Corinth.

Maybe you just don't like the automatic shotguns, but is no valid reason to say they are bad, and you have rivens to boost them up to insane levels too. From my testings, a Riven Juiced up Boar Prime, takes less time to kill lvl 145 enemies than even the Tigris Prime.

2 hours ago, (XB1)Red Dough Boy said:

Which shotguns have you tried? 

My favorite two are Sobek because 20 round magazine and it can use a syndicate augment, and Corinth for damage against Grineer and airburst. 

Not to mention sobek's acid shells. Because what a 20-round auto shotgun needs is more croud control capability 😂

52 minutes ago, Yakhul said:

I have to disagree with the automatic shotguns statement.

Boar Prime is a status monster. It shreds through armor really fast, and if you build for viral and hunters munitions, well, it just gets even more insane. Strun Wraith is easily one of the best shotguns in game currently.

I am well aware they both got 100% status, yet I can unload two entire clips and kill maybe three enemies. I cannot for the life of me figure out how it can rise up to "best in the game"

non sniper semi auto weapons seem to be the weakest weapons rn, followed by burst weapons and then assault rifles.

The only real issue shotguns have is the status calculation.

6 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

Only thing they might need is a recalculation on their status chance values. The spike from 99% to 100% is kind of nuts and not the most intuitive thing in the world. They're in a really solid spot even with that, though.

Yeah, only exceptions seem to be the kuva kohm and mara detron, where the status calc either seems to not matter or is just different.

Perhaps your playstyle doesn't match how a shotgun is intended to use. A shottie is meant for CQC and somewhat medium range. If you try to snipe with it, the dmg falloff will make it like you're throwing pebbles at a wall. 

Given how the game pace requires us to move around much and enemies typically swarming in our position, I think shotguns are the preferred choice. Heck I'm still running with my modded sobek to level 100 sorties just fine. Sometimes changing it to arca plasmor. 

The only thing imo needs revisit is how the game counts status chance per pellet. 

Edited by LordNero86
Dang autocorrect

3 minutes ago, Hellmaker2004 said:

Don't you freaking dare propose a nerf to status shotguns. Those things are the true gift of the Lotus!!!

What i meant is to make the pellets have greater chance to proc status, not lower it 😂

The current iteration which requires to have 100% chance before multishot so every pellet can always proc status is rubbish imo

10 hours ago, Conquest375 said:

do they feel like the weakest weapon class to anyone else?

you must not be building your shotguns very well... or using them wrong. Shotguns are the strongest primaries in the game, especially when you reach that coveted 100% status. even the weaker ones can be brought up to more than adequate levels with the help of a Riven (and while Rivens shouldn't be a be-all-end-all solution, Rivens for weaker shotguns are considerably cheaper than ones for already strong Shotguns with weaker dispositions). 

the primaries that suffer most right now are rifles, mainly automatics and burst-fire ones. crit-heavy ones like Soma Prime and Tiberon prime can get a little further but they will still fall off, especially vs armour. meanwhile shotguns are SO much more powerful up close (as they should be), and getting close isn't a problem when you're a space ninja with parkour and teleport capabilities.