Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

nerf skana.

(NSW)Edcaous

The Skana now outclasses the MK-1 Bo by a lot. It's also now really easy to do junctions, you can kill specters really fast with even an unmodded Skana.

It's supposed to be a beginners weapon right? Then why is it so "good" in its current state?

By the way, I'm not new to this game. I just tried starting all over from PC, and I noticed that I was clearing everything really quickly with my Skana.

I'm not asking for a huge nerf, maybe just lower the base damage from 120 to 100 or 110. Before the melee changes, it was around 30 or 40.

Edit: I'm not sure if I put it clear enough here, since a lot of people seemed to be confused why I'm asking this. So I'm going to copy paste this bit I wrote in a later response:

"For new players, the basic unmodded Skana, in its current state, surpasses almost every other "starter weapon" that the game offers.
It makes sense that the other weapons, like the Braton, are weak since they're not meant to carry you through the entire star chart, and you're supposed to try out other weapons on your own. However, the Skana doesn't exactly fit this category: Without mods, the MR0 Skana, a free weapon given away in the tutorial, seems to outclass the majority of MR4 primaries, excluding maybe the Hek.
Comparing my Braton against my Skana against low leveled Corpus: it takes many shots to take just one corpus down, while with the Skana, one can take down an entire group within one or two strikes.
It just seems unbalanced for one tutorial weapon choice to outclass all the others."

Another Edit: Alright guys, let's let this thing die down. I didn't expect this to be so time-consuming.

Edited by (NSW)Edcaous
clarification & grammar.
  • Like 4

I guess that would be because the Skana isn't an Mk-1 weapon?

The regular Bo is considerably more damaging than the Skana, has better range, stats and crit, and even has a slightly better Riven disposition.

The only reason I can think that you're complaining is that the Skana and Mk-1 are presented as weapons on the starter quest and one is technically better than the other. At which point... Does it matter?

Because I have a lovely build for my Mk-1 Bo, riven in tow, that I can take to Sortie level without too much issue. Same with my Skana. Because once you get past the starter levels, mods matter more and that's all there is to it.

• Like 19

19 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

The only reason I can think that you're complaining is that the Skana and Mk-1 are presented as weapons on the starter quest and one is technically better than the other. At which point... Does it matter?

Well, when you do junctions with an unmodded unranked Skana, the specter dies really quickly and really easily.

It's a lot more difficult, and the fight goes a lot slower if you use a unmodded (mk-1) Braton or Paris or Kunai or Lato. Or Mk-1 Bo.

Edited by (NSW)Edcaous

Just now, (NSW)Edcaous said:

Well, when you do junctions with an unmodded unranked Skana, the specter dies really quickly. It's a lot more difficult, and the fight goes a lot slower if you use a unmodded (mk-1) Braton or Paris or Kunai or Lato. Or Mk-1 Bo.

Again, maybe that's because it's a regular Skana and not an Mk-1 Skana?

As in, all the 'Mk-1' tagged weapons are de-facto worse than the weapons with the same name that don't have that tag?

So the question you're asking maybe could be 'Shouldn't the starter mission have an Mk-1 Skana instead of a regular Skana?'

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

So the question you're asking maybe could be 'Shouldn't the starter mission have an Mk-1 Skana instead of a regular Skana?'

Yeah, I guess so, but I never really liked the idea of mk-1 weapons to begin with. The Lato is weak enough without one. But maybe that's just me.

Thanks for replying though. I expected to get more "haha" reactions from making this post.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, (NSW)Edcaous said:

Yeah, I guess so, but I never really liked the idea of mk-1 weapons to begin with. The Lato is weak enough without one. But maybe that's just me.

Thanks for replying though. I expected to get more "haha" reactions from making this post.

In hindsight, the MK-1 weapons don't make sense as there are no MK-2 versions. Yes there are the "regular variants", but why not give those to the player instead and skip the whole MK deal? Same with the broken mods which are just a waste of endo for a newbie.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Larsurus said:

In hindsight, the MK-1 weapons don't make sense as there are no MK-2 versions. Yes there are the "regular variants", but why not give those to the player instead and skip the whole MK deal? Same with the broken mods which are just a waste of endo for a newbie.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking too. You can get the Braton at mr0, so there's no point in buying the MK-1 variant. That said, the Mk-1 weapons do tend to have slightly more accuracy than the normal versions, as well as faster reload speed, but this doesn't apply to melees.

Edited by (NSW)Edcaous

7 minutes ago, EpicD said:

You want a weapon that does it job, cut and hack enemies to pieces, to not deal ''too'' much damage?

Somebody get the strap.

Part of my problem was that it trivialized junction encounters, and outperformed all of the other weapons given in the tutorial.

Il y a 2 heures, (NSW)Edcaous a dit :

It's also now really easy to do junctions, you can kill specters really fast with even an unmodded Skana.

I would rather say "buff junction specters". Right know you can do junctions with every loadout unmodded loadout, really.

• Like 5

Just now, (NSW)Edcaous said:

Part of my problem was that it trivialized junction encounters, and outperformed all of the other weapons given in the tutorial.

Well Mk-1 bo deals mainly impact and given that the enemies you fight in the tutorial and future areas are armored grineer and junctions are warframes with shields and armor, the skana will out perform its lanky stick friend.

What should happen is that Mk1 bo should be replaced by the regular bo given that there is no mk1 -skana.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, (NSW)Edcaous said:

40 minutes ago, lukinu_u said:

I would rather say "buff junction specters". Right know you can do junctions with every loadout unmodded loadout, really.

Ed, are you a genuine new player, or one that's just started a new account on the Switch?

I ask because if you're genuinely new, I can simply say that Junctions are not actually supposed to be difficult, they're specifically there to be progress marks. They gate you through the available content and let you progress. There isn't really a need for them to be super-hard or a need for the weapons to be reduced in effectiveness because of them.

il y a 55 minutes, Birdframe_Prime a dit :

Ed, are you a genuine new player, or one that's just started a new account on the Switch?

I ask because if you're genuinely new, I can simply say that Junctions are not actually supposed to be difficult, they're specifically there to be progress marks. They gate you through the available content and let you progress. There isn't really a need for them to be super-hard or a need for the weapons to be reduced in effectiveness because of them.

It's always interesting when bosses that lock progressions are hard enough to encourage you to explore any game mechanic you've learnt so far. Junction are just bad because litterally any player can do them without any difficulty, being in modding, gameplay itself or analysing how the boss fight.

As for being a new player or using a fresh account, I played a bit on PS4 and did almost the whole starchart with the default loadout (Mag, braton, mk1-Hikou and mik1-Bo). And I say almost because I stopped playing, not because it started to be difficult.

The skana should just be replaced with the mk1 skana as a starter weapon. It's a clear choice for a stater for melee for several reasons though it never tells you these, A: it's stronger, B: unlike the other starter weapons the skana isn't bought with credits, it has to actually be built, and C : single sword stances are often times easier to get then most other stances. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lukinu_u said:

It's always interesting when bosses that lock progressions are hard enough to encourage you to explore any game mechanic you've learnt so far. Junction are just bad because litterally any player can do them without any difficulty, being in modding, gameplay itself or analysing how the boss fight.

They aren't supposed to be a boss fight. They're literally supposed to be a formality, an unlock. Even the requirements aren't a test of skill, they're tasks to show you what Warframe is about.

There are actual bosses in Warframe, but even then, they're designed to be passed by literally the lowest common entry on the list at each stage.

The spectres of the rails are canonically just there to keep the Corpus and Grineer out.

Also, I was asking Ed about the account, but including you in the conversation, so that you could see how it played out with me ^^

• Like 1

Is this thread really a thing? like, legit? Nerfing a starting weapon because of junctions, etc. they're like a tutorial thing....you do them once and never see those junctions again.... there're more serious things like Rakta Dark dagger....

Not to mention the whole changes to enemy armour makes it easier to kill everything in general, so it's obviously more easy at this point of the game to kill something

il y a 10 minutes, Birdframe_Prime a dit :

They aren't supposed to be a boss fight. They're literally supposed to be a formality, an unlock. Even the requirements aren't a test of skill, they're tasks to show you what Warframe is about.

There are actual bosses in Warframe, but even then, they're designed to be passed by literally the lowest common entry on the list at each stage.

The spectres of the rails are canonically just there to keep the Corpus and Grineer out.

Also, I was asking Ed about the account, but including you in the conversation, so that you could see how it played out with me ^^

Then what's the point ? You could simply replace the juction by a button instead.

Also, a closed arena with you and a single enemy in clrealy intented to be a boss.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lukinu_u said:

Then what's the point ? You could simply replace the juction by a button instead.

The point is that it clearly could be a button. Much like everything else in the UI of Warframe, all they've done is put a game play based procedural step in the way to make it interactive.

Nothing in Warframe is supposed to be an actual inhibitor to progress, only arbitrary goals to base grind off.