Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Helminth Chrysalis works.

Loza03

NOTICE: As of August 12th, the official dev workshop with all the information has been released. It may be found here:

However, for old times sake (and personal completionism) this thread has been updated with all the information contained within, outdated parts given strikethroughs for posterity or discussion.

I've noticed a great deal of people with misinformation about how Helminth Chrysalis works so, since we don't have a dev workshop or patch notes or anything, I'm going to write down, with the source, all that we know, so people can understand it.

First, the source. You want this straight from the horse's mouth, then here:

Spoiler
Screenshot_20200804_144446.jpg
(Original thread for the above was deleted, but I feel that the information needs to be preserved for proper citation. Please be kind mods.)

(If the above isn't working, it's Quiette Shy's stream at 43:50)

(And of course, the actual dev workshop. Told you I was a completionist :P)

But, in clear written, paragraphed format, here is everything we know.

ACCESS: nothing was stated about at what point in the game we will gain access to this system, aside from the fact that it's 'not for beginners'. There is reasonable speculation to be made, but in the interests of not having misinformation, I'll keep it to myself or later comments. Access to this system is gated behind two things - a 'Helminth segment' similar to the ones from Vor's prize (acquired via Heart of Deimos progression) and Mastery rank 15.

REQUIRMENTS: There's two sets of requirements. A resource investment, and of course the Warframe itself. The Warframe itself is a one-time investment, and can be of any rank (i.e. a completely freshly-built frame). However, Primes (and presumably Umbra/s) cannot be sacrificed, only the normal versions of said frame - Helminth is, apparently, allergic. Once you have sacrificed a frame to be subsumed, that ability is permanently unlocked. However, it should be noted that at early levels of progression in the system, the number of slots for abilities is limited, but once you hit level 10 in this system, you will have unlimited slots. The other requirement is resources. It seems that any commonly-usable resource, Railjack, Open World or Otherwise, can be fed to the Helminth, which will be converted to the resources you need to both subsume Warframes and infuse abilities. Giving Helminth a variety of resources based on what it has had recently will give a better conversion rate.

Although they may not be the sacrifice, Primes and Umbra can receive abilities from this system..

PROGRESSION: Helminth has its own progression system, and will level up to ten times. Levels will unlock slots (as stated earlier), as well as eight abilities unique to Helminth, which appear to be relatively cheap but intriguing buffs, such as restoring your shields, increasing your movement speed or a boost to your next cast's ability strength. In terms of acquiring the XP? Feeding and using the system will progress it naturally, as all shown parts give XP - feeding, subsuming and infusing all granted XP. The full process shown in the demonstration gave about 400,000 XP, give or take, which was enough to bring Helminth from early rank 2 up to early rank 3. Each rank will require more XP - rank 2 to rank 3 requires 450,000 (the demo started at 47,000), whereas 3 to 4 requires 562,000.

ABILITIES: As stated, Helminth has eight abilities its own that it can grant, although these must be unlocked first via XP. Additionally, every Warframe will... donate one of its abilities upon being consumed. You do NOT get to choose which ability is taken, however - that is pre-determined. Once the sacrifice is complete, you can then infuse it onto any other frame. You do get to choose which ability is replaced, although only one ability can be custom per frame - sadly, you may not make the Avatar. You may remove the infusion at any time, and you can even, if you choose, have certain mod configurations have an infusion and others not. It is unknown if you can have different infused abilities in different Configs. You can indeed have multiple different infusions in different configurations.

The current list of confirmed infusable abilities is short, but:

Volt gives Shock.

Mag gives Pull

Nezha gives Fire Walker

Saryn gives Molt.

Frost gives Ice Wave.

Zephyr gives Air Burst (has been buffed)

The list of abilities is absolutely no longer short. For brevity's sake, this one's in spoilers:

Spoiler

HELMINTH'S OWN ABILITIES:

Empower: A power strength boost for the next ability use. 

Energy Munitions: Increases ammo efficiency - similar to the Velox or the Fissure buff (where a fissure buff has 100% ammo efficiency, wheras Velox only has 20% as it only saves one in every five)

Infested mobility: a speed and parkour buff.

Marked for Death: Stuns an enemy, and the next instance of damage will be AoE.

Rebuild Shields: Restores your shields.

Perspicacity: Your next Parazon Hack is automatic.

Companion Heal: Heals Companions.

Expidite Suffering: Toxin and Slash damage is dealt in one big burst rather than over time in a cone ahead of you. 

WARFRAME

ABILITY

AUGMENT

DEV NOTES

Ash

Shuriken

Seeking Shuriken

Atlas

Petrify

Ore Gaze

We will not create Rubble.

Banshee

Silence

Savage Silence

Baruuk

Lull

Endless Lullaby

Chroma

Elemental Ward

Everlasting Ward

Ember

Fire Blast

Healing Flame

Equinox

Rest & Rage

Calm & Frenzy

We will use Rest or Rage depending on your Energy Colour. 

Excalibur

Radial Blind

Radiant Finish

Frost

Ice Wave

Ice Wave Impede

Gara

Spectrorage

Spectrosiphon

Garuda

Blood Altar

n/a

Gauss

Thermal Sunder

n/a

Grendel

Nourish

n/a

Keeps the heal and give Nourish Strike only. 

Harrow

Condemn

Tribunal

Hildryn

Pillage

Blazing Pillage

Drains 50 Energy instead of 50 Shield. 

Hydroid

Tempest Barrage

Corroding Barrage

Inaros

Desiccation

Desiccation’s Curse

Ivara

Quiver

Empowered Quiver

Tap Cloak, Hold Noise. Augment only affects Cloak and Dashwire. 

Khora

Ensnare

n/a

Limbo

Banish

Rift Haven

Base Ability Change: Add ‘Cancel ability on Hold’ to let enemies out of Rift. 

Loki

Decoy

Savior Decoy

Mag

Pull

Greedy Pull

Mesa

Shooting Gallery

Muzzle Flash

Mirage

Eclipse

Total Eclipse

Nekros

Terrify

Creeping Terrify

Nezha

Fire Walker

Pyroclastic Flow

Nidus

Larva

Larva Burst

Nova

Null Star

Neutron Star

Nyx

Mind Control

Mind Freak

Oberon

Smite

Smite Infusion

Octavia

Resonator

Conductor

Protea

Dispensary

n/a

Revenant

Reave

Blinding Reave

Rhino

Roar

Piercing Roar

Saryn

Molt

Regen Molt

Titania

Spellbind

Spellbound Harvest

Trinity

Well Of Life

Pool of Life

Base Ability Buffed - Now does small amount of heal over time over a large range. If you hit the enemy, a % of the damage dealt gets converted into AoE heal. 

Valkyr

Warcry

Eternal War

Vauban

Tesla Nervos

Tesla Bank

Volt

Shock

Shock Trooper

Wisp

Breach Surge

n/a

Wukong

Defy

n/a

Xaku

Xata’s Whisper 

n/a

Zephyr

Airburst

n/a

Base Ability Buffed - now has a HOLD or TAP functionality. HOLD to receive original functionality. TAP to suck enemies in a wind Vortex. 

Ok, yes, this part is copied straight from the workshop. Give me a break, that's a lot of powers.

On certain frames with damage buffing abilities, they can only swap their damage buff for another - for example Mirage can get roar, but must give up Eclipse.

Augments for these abilities can be used. Additionally, certain weaker infusable abilities will be receiving buffs and attention to make them more enticing pics. Zephyr's Air Burst, as the example given, has recieved the ability to draw enemies towards the player as well its existing knockback.

It IS confirmed that all frames will have an infusable ability. As for how that works for frames with unique resources, or kits that require total synergy? Yet to be determined. Limbo and Grendel have been confirmed to have been 'fudged a little' by Pablo, along with a 'few others'. 

You can also name Helminth! 

UPDATE: A week or so before the update lands, a dev workshop with full details will be released.

UPDATE 2: According to @[DE]Bear in this post, the dev workshop will arrive on the 13th or 14th of August, and will include a full list of all abilities infusible.

UPDATE 3: As of August 7th and Home Time #18, a future PC update will include a small, pre-release (likely to reduce download times) that includes the visual overhaul for the Helminth Room. This, however, will not come with functionality for this system, so please keep that in mind! You cannot feed it just yet.

UPDATE 4: Thank you to everybody who contributed to this thread and was nice. I look forward to seeing you all out on Deimos, and whatever horrifying fraken-frame concoctions you have brought to the table to further devestate the fields of battle.

they will make it accessible to later ranks/progression because their long standing trend is to make what was a nice go at your own pace and open system a bog standard carbon copy of other games.

The resource sink sounded nice at first as well as the warframe sink, pity once learned you dont need to go farm more resources, no more warframe farm, its another isolated 1 and done system, weird as they tend to love timegating to extremes.

As usual, wont know what its liek till we see it, tho im guessing its a way to recycle crap and often neglected abilities, making it seem like we have some awesome choices.

Thanks...I wanted to ask for a clarification if anyone knows....so if you have say Rhino Prime, you can build "Normal Rhino"...and then feed that one to The Helminth?

And any Frame at any level....does having one fully ranked add anything extra, what about ones with Formas or Potatoes?...seems they would encourage or give extras with Frames leveled up.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)BuzzZaw82 said:

Thanks...I wanted to ask for a clarification if anyone knows....so if you have say Rhino Prime, you can build "Normal Rhino"...and then feed that one to The Helminth?

If you only had Rhino Prime, you would have to. Prime frames cannot be subsumed.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)BuzzZaw82 said:

And any Frame at any level....does having one fully ranked add anything extra, what about ones with Formas or Potatoes?...seems they would encourage or give extras with Frames leveled up.

There is no indication that fully ranked frames will give anything extra, and likely forma and potatoes would also do nothing. It may even consume them, similar to using weapons as components.

il y a 16 minutes, Loza03 a dit :

If you only had Rhino Prime, you would have to. Prime frames cannot be subsumed.

There is no indication that fully ranked frames will give anything extra, and likely forma and potatoes would also do nothing. It may even consume them, similar to using weapons as components.

It has been confirmed that fully ranking the warframes is completely unnecessary. Confirmed by Pablo.

UPDATE (also added to main)

Some information I missed. Not all abilities will be 1:1 - namely, frames such as Limbo - will be 'fudged' according to Pablo.

EDIT: Even more updates: A full dev workshop will come out about a week before the Update, whereupon this thread will become obsolete.

Just now, crimsonspartan1 said:

Frost’s ice wave ability can also be applied to other warframes.

Source please? Just because I want to make sure absolutely everything's cited properly.

1 minute ago, crimsonspartan1 said:

I am curious if you can use augments with the transferred abilities, like use regenerative molt with the molt ability that’s been transferred onto an Excalibur for example

AH! Forgot to add that to OP! Thank you for reminding me.

Yes, you can use augments.

5 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Source please? Just because I want to make sure absolutely everything's cited properly.

AH! Forgot to add that to OP! Thank you for reminding me.

Yes, you can use augments.

Yea, was shown in that trailer which Bryuf just posted. 

Also cool. Regenerating molt on Inaros Prime would be pretty sick, or using something like Ember’s fireball augment to give yourself an extra heat buff would be pretty strong on most frames

Also Pablo just tweeted earlier.

There will be a Dev Workshop on it to cover the launch iteration. 

P.s. Try not to set your selves up for disappointment by personally overhyping yourself with very little factual information and expectations. Until they say its final everything and I mean everything is subject to change.

3 minutes ago, crimsonspartan1 said:

Yea, was shown in that trailer which Bryuf just posted. 

Also cool. Regenerating molt on Inaros Prime would be pretty sick, or using something like Ember’s fireball augment to give yourself an extra heat buff would be pretty strong on most frames

Fireball Frenzy would only be good on frames that focus on strength. FF gets a lot of additional punch from Ember's passive which other frames won't have. 

3 minutes ago, ZenHare said:

Fireball Frenzy would only be good on frames that focus on strength. FF gets a lot of additional punch from Ember's passive which other frames won't have. 

It can still be effective tough, and can be further buffed by abilities like Equinox’s provoke with the augment for even more power strength, or Nidus’ parasitic link. They lose out on the power strength increase from ember’s passive, but it can still be good on certain frames depending on how you play them (frames with buff abilities like Rhino could be pretty strong with FF since you can use roar and also apply bonus heat damage, and having a high power strength and duration build would make that a lot stronger, or if you want to buff yourself so you can murder everything with Mesa’s peacemaker’s or Exalibur’s exalted blade)

The thing is that DE has to pick one of four powers for each warframe and some frames have no weak abilities or their weak ability is their ultimate. So, I predict that 90% of players will use the same small handful of abilities. So, DE will most likely pull this back for rework or nerf it heavily, e.g. a borrowed ability is only 50% as effective as the original.

33 minutes ago, ZenHare said:

The thing is that DE has to pick one of four powers for each warframe and some frames have no weak abilities or their weak ability is their ultimate. So, I predict that 90% of players will use the same small handful of abilities. So, DE will most likely pull this back for rework or nerf it heavily, e.g. a borrowed ability is only 50% as effective as the original.

Kinda what i fear as well. They’ll probably only be like 3 or so abilities that are better to be transferred to different warframes than anything else, like i highly doubt anyone will use Mag’s pull for example. Might be a few who’d put Molt on some warframes (like i said earlier, an Inaros with Molt and it’s regenerating molt augment would be pretty cool (but that’s just me since i’d prefer to keep moving and shooting than stopping for a few seconds just to use Inaros’ devour ability to regen health)) and depending on what each ability can be transferred from other warframes, some will definitely be used more than others.

2 minutes ago, Jemmies said:

Curious about augment mods with regards to these abilities. For example, if I feed a Saryn to get Molt and then infused Molt to Excalibur, can I still use Regenerative Molt augment?

So far it seems like... that being said... until release its subject to change. 

44 minutes ago, Jemmies said:

Curious about augment mods with regards to these abilities. For example, if I feed a Saryn to get Molt and then infused Molt to Excalibur, can I still use Regenerative Molt augment?

They say so in the stream, so yes.

2 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

So, I'm guessing that the vast majority of the unlockable abilities will be 1's, the basic attack/damage abilities.

Mostly 1st abilities, with a few 2nd abilities so far (Molt and Ice wave). 

DE would have to avoid any really powerful / useful abilities to avoid accidentally breaking their game and making certain warframes too op with certain added abilities. 

Giving any frame Wisp’s motes would make them really powerful for example, or allowing any frame to use Iron skin could also be pretty crazy (yet very useful on squishier frames). Odds are most of the abilities that can be transferred will most likely be basic damage abilities and nothing too crazy, but even then the odds are only a select few will actually be transferred to other frames

5 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Some information I missed. Not all abilities will be 1:1 - namely, frames such as Limbo - will be 'fudged' according to Pablo.

Hm...I wonder if these fudged abilities will be inheritable by the same frame if you sacrifice a duplicate?

Like creating a lost 5th ability or something.

Archived