Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Great Ensmallening

[DE]Glen

1 hour ago, (PS4)crashteddy03 said:

Previously I would have agreed with that statement and I did run without a page file for many years on my previous laptop (8GB RAM, discrete graphics, Windows 7). On my slightly newer laptop running Windows 10 I discovered that I couldn't get into the open worlds (PoE or OV) with the page file disabled (8GB RAM, integrated graphics <gah!>).

I had read somewhere that having a page file with an SSD creates a lot of extra wear on the drive. Has anyone else heard that before or have any insight into it?

This was something that was on my mind when I built my new PC.  But I also realized that with my current 32 gigs of ram, that it really wouldn't matter much.  So I just locked the pagefile size to just above 4gb in size.  

I was gonna put it on a second ssd I have installed, but didn't think it would matter much on a m.2 with PCI gen4.  Some of the current Tech available now kinda makes some of the tweaks used for older hardware a moot point.  

Edit: 

Spoiler

Funny but true story.  I recently got back in Skyrim specifically to see if I could use tons of large texture mods to fill up the vram after I got the Radeon VII.  For those who might not know, the Radeon VII has 16 gb of HBM2.  Which is a large amount of sickeningly fast ram.  Let's just say that I haven't been able to fill it up with just gaming mods.  (closest I got was about 8gigs used)  Not sure if it's the result of the amount of vram, the speed, or a combo of both.  

@taiiat might find the hidden edit interesting.  :D 

On 2020-09-13 at 6:30 AM, DatDarkOne said:

I said to lock the pagefile size not delete it.  Meaning to set the minimum and maximum size to be the same.  It can still be as large or as small as you want.  It just won't be using processor and drive write times to try and recalculate the size on the fly.  

This has more performance effect under load on HDD than SSD/M.2

edit: as for the breaking the game part, that shouldn't happen unless you have a low amount of ram.  Like 4gigs or lower.  Having 8 gigs or more and you can pretty much safely go without a pagefile at all in most situations.  

Oh, I see, my bad, that's sounds reasonable.
I'm on 8GB win 8.1 but on integrated card. It's fine in most cases. Open world is little bit bad in this case but 16GB would be enough even for integrated graphic card.
ps. of course if you don't need high-end graphics.

On 2020-09-09 at 4:55 PM, [DE]Glen said:

some people can’t fit it on their smaller SSDs and have to run it off of a slow HDD instead

Can relate. I actually have it installed on SSD, but I dont have enough space to free up space in order to optmize space... Basically, in order to free ~2GB, it requires the full ~35GB of the whole game of free space...

Just hoping it wont be the same with this optimization...

PS: we need notifications for dev workshops! They are far more relevant for most than, say....homestreams, yet they often pass unnoticed

hi this bieng only my second post ever ..i realy dont appreciate having no choice in the matter i have 2 tb standard mechanical hdd and sieeng that warframe is the only thing on here space is no issue..what is an issue is u making me sit hours an hours waiting for a stupid space saver i..dont give two s@#$@ about i have over a terrabyte free... but i do work for a living and now i have to sit and watch this "insert realy bad word" where i couldve destressed with my mates... pls in future dont remove our choices in if i wana save space or not

2 hours ago, Wesleysniped said:

hi this bieng only my second post ever ..i realy dont appreciate having no choice in the matter i have 2 tb standard mechanical hdd and sieeng that warframe is the only thing on here space is no issue..what is an issue is u making me sit hours an hours waiting for a stupid space saver i..dont give two s@#$@ about i have over a terrabyte free... but i do work for a living and now i have to sit and watch this "insert realy bad word" where i couldve destressed with my mates... pls in future dont remove our choices in if i wana save space or not

You know, it's not that easy. Managing few versions is not easy task. It asks for troubles.
And I will be downloading it for 3-4 hours myself. I know that "pain" but it will brings something good for me. HDD space is "important" for me but not for you. That's understandable. However with each new content you should download less data (I don't think they managed ~1/2 of a space required for images). So, as you says "hours and hours" your internet connection is not good, hence next updates will be faster. Just deal with "current update's pain".

14 hours ago, ValkyrieD said:

Uninstall and reinstall works ? If have low space.

Not sure exact requirements but ~23 GB free - 4GB to delete from previous update. It optimized cache and I have ~44GB free. Now it's downloading current update.

Hola alguien tendrá alguna solución a mi problema al descargar la actualización?
La velocidad de descarga de la actualización me va a 200 kb/s, y no, no es problema de mi internet ya que desinstale y volví a instalar el Warframe de steam en 1 hora pensando que si lo hacia tal vez ya tendría la actualización mas rápido en cambio me tomara unas 10 a 11 horas aprox en descargar solo la actualización.

Si alguien sabe gracias.

I have some questions about updating.

1. What if theres not enough hard drive space (22.2gb required to optimise the cache)? (i'll know the answer to this in 2 hours but thought i'd ask.)

2. Could it be possible for the next parts to do the download in the background while the game is running and re-optimise it when our system isnt in use?

Seeing as optimising cache does eat up system resources and will likely catch people by surprise if they're time limited.

In my case it finished downloading around 6.8gb and then started downloading another 6.7gb, so i got locked out of the game for almost 8 hours already downloading 13+gb, plop. my launcher broke? i hope after this download finishes it wont start downloading another 50gb....

Edit, it finished downloading and it STARTED all over again omg 3 times, err... judging by the data used looks like 4 times.

R8BjcQY.png

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Wesleysniped:

They usualy do, But doing an optimasation once in a while is important. No other game I am aware of even gives you to option to (usualy) delay when small optimisations happen. Even if you have 2tb, just be happy for the free 6 gb at the worst xD

now i am really unhappy with the ensmalling as you call it.

the graphics have become very pixelated and is so so so so so annoying to my eyes..i see  detail very clear..

i tell u it has changed to very uncomfortible to me

when you run around now its like pixelated and buffers in when you run..its annoying.. every where i run it is like it streams in now

standing still you dont really see it

this compression has screwed it it up..i was never worried about size on ssd

but poor graphics sucks

To me, light maps looked way flatter and simpler. Didn't even have to look hard.

And the introduction of more compression is going backwards in tech. Now that consoles and new GPU-s are switching to direct SSD texture streaming.
Can't this be optional or limited to medium quality settings?

1 hour ago, Ketec said:

To me, light maps looked way flatter and simpler. Didn't even have to look hard.

And the introduction of more compression is going backwards in tech. Now that consoles and new GPU-s are switching to direct SSD texture streaming.

1 hour ago, Ketec said:

i agree on optional ..it should be...game looks really crappy now..eyes can see it easily..

7 hours ago, -BKB-SamuarJoe said:

i'm using laptop with i5-3230m 8gB ram with eGPU RTX 2080Ti

i hope [DE] in this update will fix my crash in loading open world

💘

I'm using a similar spec laptop but with the internal GPU (urgh...) and I also had issues with loading PoE and OV. Creating a page file solved the issue, so do you have a page file configured?

1 hour ago, (PS4)crashteddy03 said:

I'm using a similar spec laptop but with the internal GPU (urgh...) and I also had issues with loading PoE and OV. Creating a page file solved the issue, so do you have a page file configured?

With integrated card 8 GB is barely enough for open world (POE is smaller) but knowing that windows does "weird" stuffs from time to time you need some more. I am with page file as well and 8GB.

14 hours ago, (PS4)crashteddy03 said:

don't think i've problem before because i already set mine at 4gB Pagefile from fresh install windows, i experiment before, deleting page file sometimes make your PC can't restart for some reason since windows XP (idk if microsoft fix it) i don't have problem loading them but i do tend to crash from time to time, especially Orb Vallis, maybe because maxed graphic?
don't know man, not tech savvy much to explain XD

Archived