Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Great Ensmallening

[DE]Glen

8 hours ago, [DE]Glen said:

We mentioned in the summary we’re going to free up 6.6GB of space in but in fact the real number will be much larger than that: we’re probably going to free up at least 15GB by the time we’re done.

Warframe is currently 43.5GB in my hard drive. A 15GB reduction is MASSIVE, and this is your lowest expectation? Nice. Even 6.6GB is already a nice amount. I compared the images side by side and saw the differences, but they are tiny and can't really  be considered a downgrade, more like a different place for shadows, but still pretty equal in quality in my opinion.

Nice. Is there a way to make "optimization" feature of the launcher work without so much free space requirement, could it do it in smaller chunks or something? I only have Windows 10, Office (+ some documents, browser cache, game saves etc), and Warframe installed on my 128GB SSD and it's been impossible to run that for a while, I just tend to redownload the whole game instead to reduce size a bit.

4 hours ago, BaronCandy said:

Cause of some bug I had to keep the whole game on reinstall to download from mobile data this will certainly help a lot thanks for this wonderful update😁

That you download updates with mobile data is no one's problem but yours.

1 hour ago, Sintag said:

When was the last time you cleaned it?

Cleaning doesn't help much. Ps4 fans are just very loud and overall not very good. I mean a brand new ps4 with cleaned fans can create noise over 85 decibel when playing heavy load games like call of duty or even gta 5.

- ex-ps4 user :)

I'm excited to see this changes roll out soon!
I started playing Warframe when the game file size is around 20GB less and now seeing the size today makes me scratch my head a bit,
Screenshot-956.jpg

the space occupied by the game is not actually my concern coz I have plenty of space for it but seeing it growing much faster and faster made worried as it will become a problem sooner. (I'm using SSD's)

The question I have right now is can it reduce the total size of the updates when new content arrives? I'm using metered connection and I'm always concern about the patch size. Also is there any chance you can make other version of this but gives opposite effect like having high res texture for high end pc specs.

as for 3 patch across 2020, i prefer patching the game in one go and large one rather than 3 patches but small ones. this gives me less headache when patching the game using my own internet, I'll just ask my pals to have a copy of the patched warframe once.

Great news! Any optimizations are welcome but especially those relating to load times. As much as I would prefer the entirety of this to happen in one large update I appreciate the fact that many people have to work around capped and slow internet speeds. Looking forward to this!

5 hours ago, HolySeraphin said:

Warframe is currently 43.5GB in my hard drive.

Really? I have 4GB+ to free to delete and my WF folders have 44.5GB + 0.5 GB.  However with my old installation I had 5-10GB of wasted space that I couldn't free (launcher just didn't see it). 

Great to hear that. I have old Laptop so it helps a lot.
So I should wait before I optimize my cache (delete unused things)? Will "the ensmallening update" clean (delete) everything not needed? Last time I had to reinstall the game because the Launcher couldn't delete 5-10GB.

19 hours ago, ReaverKane said:

will this maybe, perhaps, please, reduce the need for what's basically a defrag on our SSD's? 

Warframe is not Defragmenting your SSD.
it was renamed from Defrag to Optimize some years ago for a reason, to try and stop people thinking that the process was strictly Defragmenting.
only Hard Disks get Defragmented.

16 hours ago, epidaleacalamita said:

lot of this technical stuff is going way over my head but. if this whole thing is about redoing textures does that mean we might finally get pbr on older frames like ash and vauban and zephyr?

just means compressing the Assets more on Disk, so they take up less space and can be loaded into the GPU a bit faster.

16 hours ago, NoSpax said:

How's the Graphics Card compatibility on this?

Hardware compatibility is not a factor. infact lower end Hardware may see a small performance benefit instead.

2 hours ago, Kuvakei said:

Would this reduce/eliminate the stuttering of loading assets in places like the arsenal?

it may reduce loading hitches anytime that they happen, but it's hard to say.

23 minutes ago, taiiat said:

Hardware compatibility is not a factor. infact lower end Hardware may see a small performance benefit instead.

If going by the results seen in Skyrim when using textures with smaller file size, I would say that this is very correct.  :D 

I was able to noticed a performance difference even with my GPU that has 16gigs of vram.  So, I would consider it to be a pretty good gain on GPUs that don't have as much vram.  

In my case, the smaller install size of the game itself will be massively appreciated on a QoL perspective. 

7 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

If going by the results seen in Skyrim when using textures with smaller file size, I would say that this is very correct.  :D 

I was able to noticed a performance difference even with my GPU that has 16gigs of vram.  So, I would consider it to be a pretty good gain on GPUs that don't have as much vram.  

keyword small, though - people shouldn't get their hopes up of gaining like 20% performance or anything, if it has a positive effect here, it would be something in the ballpark of a few Percent.

53 minutes ago, taiiat said:

keyword small, though - people shouldn't get their hopes up of gaining like 20% performance or anything, if it has a positive effect here, it would be something in the ballpark of a few Percent.

Agreed.  Although people like to say the game has "spaghetti code", WF is pretty well optimized in comparison to most other games.  So the performance increase will be small. 

*note* Skyrim is NOT an optimized game.  :D  

Archived