Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I don't mean to s*ck at eidolon hunting ...

(PSN)northern_rebal

Question

but I think I do.  I've been google'ing, reading wiki, and watching videos but my damage dealt is still in single digits most of the time.

My usual set up is Chroma Prime with a nullifer arcane,  Vectus Prime modded for radiation 1669.5  I have a x23 amp that I guilded and back at rank 24, with Virtuos Strike arcane, and I'm using Maduri school with 7/10 nodes active.

After getting a couple of lures, I use my operator to help against the shields, and when the eidolon flashes red, I switch back to my warframe and shoot the joints, and back to my operator. I've worked on my build a bit and I get quite a few orange crits (never red), but my damage does fluctuates from say 1k upto 3 to 4k, which doesn't seem like alot.

When the mission is over, my stats alway show 5-9% damage dealt.  So, assuming warframe abilities can't damage it, does that mean my Vectus Prime build is terrible?  I try to get alot of shots in, without wasting them.

On another note, I used Rhino Prime tonight, since one of the youtubers said it was decent.  I joined 3 missions and in each one after capturing the first eidolon I did not have a radiant shard to put up to start the next eidolon.  On my third try, one guy with a mic was saying he had the same problem.  Is this just a weird glitch tonight, or a known bug, or was I doing something wrong?  I did get decent rewards from the capture, including an arcane each time.

I think the first thing you need to do is pick a role. You either kill limbs or you kill shields. If you kill limbs, your amp does not matter. If you kill shields, your gun does not matter.

I don't use Chroma anymore since they removed self damage. In the old days, you used to bring a self damaging weapon like Cerata and fire it into the ground with Vex Armour active. You would max your Fury buff in 1 hit. This buff needs to be up and fully stacked before the shield breaks because it is an enormous part of your damage. Imagine having a mod on your rifle that gives +900% weapon damage. Thats what Vex Armour does.

Nowadays there is no more self damage so you need to take damage from enemies to stack Vex Armour and this is not very reliable. I ended up switching to Volt (mainly for his speed buff on 2 which affects archwing flight speed).

To ensure you keep Vex Armour up, you need to hotkey energy restores and use them to gain energy to re-cast Vex Armour. Get used to using consumables in eidolon hunts because when you start speed running them, you will use a lot of them. I am not the most efficient player with movement and cooldown management but I use roughly 10 energy restores per tricap.

The other big part of your damage is going to come from 2x unique properties of sniper rifles:

1) Scope bonus

2) Combo multiplier

With sniper rifles, pressing secondary fire will make you scope. When scoped you get a damage bonus that varies depending on the sniper rifle. For example, Rubico Prime's scope bonus is crit damage. If you press secondary fire again (while scoped) you will zoom in further and that crit damage bonus will increase.

Rubico's scope bonus = 35% crit damage while single scoped and 50% crit damage while double scoped. Vectis's scope bonus = 40% head shot bonus while single scoped and 60% headshot bonus while double scoped.

You always want to be double scoped to get the highest bonus. Rubico's scope bonus is generally better than Vectis because the increased crit damage works on the limbs as well as the head, whereas Vectis's scope bonus only works on the head.

The second unique property of sniper rifles is combo multiplier. Every time you hit a target, you will see a counter in the middle of your screen called "shot combo". This counter goes up by 1 every time you hit.

At shot combo = 3, you will get 2x damage multiplier. At 9 shots, you will get 2.5x damage multiplier and this goes all the way up to 5x multiplier. In a tricap, you can realistically get this to to 4x multiplier by the time you start hydrolyst.

Shot combo is affected by multishot, so if you have 100% multishot, you will fire 2 bullets at once and your shot combo will increase by 2 every time you hit. So this is why multishot is very important. If you have a Riven, you ideally want multishot on it. If you do not have a Riven, use Vigilante Armaments (+60% multishot).

If you do not hit anything for a few seconds, your shot combo will decay at a rate of 1 every 2 seconds.

You do not need to do damage to build your shot combo, you only need to hit the target, so it will increase even if you shoot the eidolon when its shields are up and you get 0 damage grey numbers. This means you need to be spamming bullets at the eidolon constantly. You may need to hotkey ammo restores to keep this up.

By spamming bullets you also proc your arcanes which in this case will be Arcane Acceleration and Arcane Momentum. Acceleration increases your fire rate and Momentum reduces your reload speed. This helps you build your shot combo faster.

If you are new and on a budget, I would recommend Rubico Prime over Vectis Prime because its cheaper to make it good.

A standard Rubico Prime build for eidolon hunting with Chroma will look like this:

Point Strike, Split Chamber, Vile Acceleration, Vital Sense, Vigilante Armaments, Hellfire, Stormbringer, Primed Cryo Rounds.

You can run Ammo Drum in the exilus slot since your fire rate will be insane and you will blow through ammo fast. It will sound like a machine gun. If not using Chroma, replace Vile Acceleration with Serration. The reason for this is that Serration and Vex Armour/Fury are both classed as weapon% bonus and are thus additive with each other.

To make Vectis Prime do comparable damage to limbs you need Primed Chamber and a Riven, both of which are expensive.  Vectis fire rate is lower and it takes a lot more shots to reach the same combo multipliers as Rubico but it feels better to use since the reload speed is so fast its barely there and you do not unscope when you reload so it feels nicer to use imho.

Your teammates can help you by equipping the Corrosive Projection aura. With 4 Corrosive Projections, the eidolon's armour will be reduced by 80%. You can use Sarpa with the Shattering Impact mod and fire it into the Teralyst when its shields are up to reduce its armour even further. 3x 5 shot bursts should be enough for Teralyst, 4x for Gantulist and Hydrolyst. Do not fire it too many times however as it can fully strip the eidolon's armour and turn its yellow armoured health into red health. If this happens, you will lose the 75% increased damage that alloy armour receives vs radiation and 25% increased damage vs cold.

Alternatively, you can run a Redeemer Prime heavy attack build. Redeemer Prime is very short range and suffers terrible fall off damage but if you are close enough, it does monster damage. It is easily capable of one shotting all limbs, even with zero damage buffs. However it is more difficult to aim due to its range/fall off. You have to aim almost vertically which is hard if the eidolon is moving.

On 2020-09-15 at 10:22 AM, (PS4)northern_rebal said:

I just added a forma and it's not fully ranked again.  I usually have vital sense, plus another elemental for more radiation

hmm, that's passable enough i guess. 

i'll mirror that you may want to consider acquiring Arcane Momentum, it's quite helpful for times when you're not oneshotting the Phases. for Vectis especially due to the type of Weapon it is, and also Rubico since you'll generally be expecting to use multiple Magazines if you don't have a Riven or are stacking Damage buffs very efficiently.
getting consistent Crits is desirable but there isn't really much of a way to do that, just Argon Scope which.... if you're not trying to save Void Strike Charges i guess it's fine to use that.

Primed Cryo Rounds is desirable as aforementioned, but if you don't have it then you don't have it.

also you'll desire more Strength on Chroma if you can manage it.
i'd probably go for... Blind Rage over Umbral Fiber, if you aren't sharing Vex Armor with your allies anyways (though you should), then a max Narrow Minded will also help.
you could even opt for Transient Fortitude over Augur Secrets or Vigor. which if you're going to use Vigor, Primed Vigor is atleast decent, but normal is pretty meh.
as a general rule, adding Armor to Chroma is not very significant since Vex Armor is an Armor Mod anyways. and so adding Strength also adds Armor, but also adds Damage too so you get more out of the same Mod space.
note that my thoughts towards certain EHP choices comes along with assuming that one has an easy way to Heal available to them. whether that be one of the Spacekid Arcanes, a Healing Weapon, Et Cetera.

and the Mod Point cost of using 3/3 Umbral Mods will end up losing you some Damage because of how costly the Mods are. you'll be able to deal more Damage and still have similar EHP with 2/3 at most and using those Mod Points to get more Strength.

if you don't like using lots of Pizzas and you'll end up removing Energize (since there have been other Arcane suggestions between myself and others and you might decide you want to go with some of those), then Fleeting Expertise over Flow may also be quite desirable.
more Strength would be most preferable technically but i don't blame someone if they want to avoid using extra Pizzas if they don't have to. it can start to get expensive if you use a lot of them, and if you don't have a large stockpile then that may not be a practical thing for you to do.

On 2020-09-15 at 1:05 PM, Lutesque said:

The down side is the Multishot mod for Archguns is Rubbish and the Critical Chance mod is no Prize either so your Orange Crits are going to be inconsistent without a Riven.

i mean, sure, Parralax Scope is only 100% rather than 150% but Velocitus still hits 120% Crit Chance with one Mod, and none of the Sniper Rifles can attest to reaching quite that high. even Lanka. 

60% Multi-Shot isn't great but it's still decent enough for most purposes. it's worth using now at 60%, it was the 30% that was highly questionable.

I can't say I've got it all perfect, but I've gone from averaging around 8 or 9%  to being up over 20% most of the time, and it's been much higher with some random squads.

okay.

On 2020-09-19 at 2:42 PM, (PS4)northern_rebal said:

Just to put some closure to all of this.  I've worked on my Chroma build, switched to the Rubico Prime and added a couple of format to it (and I might do one more).  I've also been more focused on being ready to shoot at the right moment.  I can't say I've got it all perfect, but I've gone from averaging around 8 or 9%  to being up over 20% most of the time, and it's been much higher with some random squads.

Thanks for all the advice.

you should get volt, he's a much better dps now than chroma because of the removal of self dmg

Just to put some closure to all of this.  I've worked on my Chroma build, switched to the Rubico Prime and added a couple of format to it (and I might do one more).  I've also been more focused on being ready to shoot at the right moment.  I can't say I've got it all perfect, but I've gone from averaging around 8 or 9%  to being up over 20% most of the time, and it's been much higher with some random squads.

Thanks for all the advice.

5 hours ago, (PS4)northern_rebal said:

That's one thing I am not doing!  I've been limiting my shooting to just before I think the Eidolon will flash red to the point the joint breaks  So I shooting be shooting alot more than that?

This video is a 6x3 Chroma PoV video from before the removal of self damage, so please note that you can't stack Vex Armour by hurting yourself anymore. Also note that he is switching operator and meleeing during energy spike because he is using Unairu focus school and doing this spawns tiny little wisps that his teammates pick up to double their amp damage for 12 seconds.  That said you should be spamming bullets like its a machine gun at every opportunity and using ammo restores if you are in danger of running out of bullets:

How is he shooting and reloading so fast? He is using Vile Acceleration and 2 Arcane Momentums. You can't equip 2 of the same arcane anymore so you use Arcane Acceleration and Arcane Momentum. You can fire faster than is shown in the video. 

Pause the video when he is scoped in at 2:18 minutes and you can see his shot combo counter and his scope bonus. His combo counter is 172 shots and he has a 3.5x damage multiplier. In reality, he has fired a lot more shots than this because the combo counter decays (by 1 every 2 seconds when you stop firing for a while). His scope bonus also reads 50% crit damage, meaning he is zoomed in twice. He also has Vex Armour fully stacked at 849%.

He spends a lot of time in operator because he is helping to charge the lures (like a proper heroic teammate!)

1 hour ago, (PS4)northern_rebal said:

QAYE7OG.jpg

I just added a forma and it's not fully ranked again.  I usually have vital sense, plus another elemental for more radiation

If you have it... Consider using Primed... Damnit I forgot it's name... The Cold Rifle Mod that gives 160% Cold Damage.... 

For Chroma this deals more Damage than using Thermite Rounds or High Voltage or Hammer Shot.

Here's my current Chroma12Vg5PV.jpg

I changed it recently to try the 3 umbral mods to boot tau resistance.

Your Strength is alil bit on the Low Side.... And even though you don't have Umbral Vitality Maxed yet... I don't think you need to use Vigor.... Especially now that you don't have a way to deal direct Damage to your Health (Actually you do...The Stug still works... But without a Toxin Riven it will be Slow.) 

Also while there are guaranteed Orbs to justify using Arcane Energize... I think you might be better off with a Different Arcane in there... Like Arcane Momentum or Arcane Grace... Or Arcane Avenger or Arcane Rage I think it was.... I don't remember.

2 hours ago, (PS4)northern_rebal said:

I had no idea there was that connection. I will try it

Indeed... Chroma's... Ah crap I forgot what the channel was called.... Anyway it used to be Energy Colour that determined what type of Buff Elemental Ward would give you. But now it's the Colour Channel that determines the light emission on your Warframe.

White Gives you Increased Armor and will Reflect Enemy Bullets. Back at them

Blue gives something... I don't remember 😝.

Green gives you Reload Speed I think.

And Red Gives you a Maximum Health Increase.

This is another issue.  I run with random squads.  I've run with 3 other chromas,  or 3 volts, and all kinds of mixture.  I ran with a squad where we had every lure on the map, and nobody was shooting the eidolon.  So I have no assigned role.

That's why Volt, Trinity and Oberon are particularly good options for these Hunts because they are Extremely flexible... Oberon being the most Flexible of them all....

That's the curse of using Chroma in public groups.... It's very easy for one Chroma to overshadow the other.

That's one thing I am not doing!  I've been limiting my shooting to just before I think the Eidolon will flash red to the point the joint breaks  So I shooting be shooting alot more than that?

That's going to depend on the Weapon you are using.... I reckon that if you can get your Strength High Enough then you can kill the Eidolon in a single shot using the Lanka or Velocitus....

The Lanka has high Base Damage and it's zoom bonus is Increased Critical Chance...

The Velocitus's Advantage is all Archgun Element mods are Stronger (I believe it's 100% instead of 90%) and the Velocitus itself has really high Stats on its Fully Charged Shot, sporting a Whopping 60% Critical Chance and 3X Critical Multiplier....

The down side is the Multishot mod for Archguns is Rubbish and the Critical Chance mod is no Prize either so your Orange Crits are going to be inconsistent without a Riven.

Rubico Prime is generally the weapon that requires multiple shots because it's damage isn't that high... But I heard it is possible to one shot with it with no Combo...

Also Rubico's Conclave Argument is now PvE compatible. 

latest?cb=20200502022502

Don't underestimate the Ability to see more of your Surroundings.... It's extremely Helpful especially considering how huge Garry and Harry are.... And It fits in the Exilus Slot...

43 minutes ago, (NSW)Reason said:

Oh my god you need Serration in every single damage build weapon holy S#&$....

Octavia and Chroma are the Exceptions to this Rule since the damage buff they grant function similarly to the Base Damage Mods on those weapons (Serration, Pressure Point, Hornet Strike, Point Blank and Rubedo-Line Barrel)....

Now naturally players first instinct would be to just leave those mods on and let them combine with Chroma's Fury or Octavia's Amp for a huge Base Damage increase.

While this might seem like it's a good idea at first it's just not particularly effecient since the buffs are Magnitudes more powerful than the mods.... 

Instead what you can do is remove Serration and replace it with something that's going to Scale off of increased Base Damage in the same way that Elemental Mods already do.... critical damage or another Elemental Mod are the top candidates.

Primed Cryo Rounds...that's the name !!! LoL...  I literally just remembered right now 😝...

Anyway you get the idea...you can leave out Serration if you have something that Achieves the same effect. Rivens with + Damage are another good example.

41 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

Vigor is absolutely useless and so is Primed flow.

I mean...I don't use Primed Flow either but I reckon it's good for Players who want an Alternative to Energy Efficiency. However I've never ever used Chroma in Eidolon Hunts so I don't Know for sure... 

Ivara is my choice if I want to play the DPS Role.

I do not have the best weapons for Eidolon hunting. In fact, despite playing since CB I only have 2 Amps built and both suck. This is a choice I have made and I accept the ramifications of this choice.

That said, I always bring my Harrow to Eidolon hunts when I do them. His 4th ability grants immunity to the Edolon's Energy Spike and provides massive critical buffs to your entire team. Personally, On top of shooting the weak spots and providing damage with my Operator Amp, that's my biggest contribution to the team.

10 hours ago, (PS4)northern_rebal said:

You need to be shooting it constantly to build that combo, just reload and shoot some more. Unless you're creating wisps for team mates or charging lures, shoot the eidolon. You're gonna have to get used to the concept of using energy pads and ammo pads to keep your abilities up and be able to shoot the eidolon constantly.

10 hours ago, (PS4)northern_rebal said:

QAYE7OG.jpg

I've not put much into unairu, but I do have some lens so I'll try  focus farming to build it up.

My avenger is only rank 2. I will work on building that up as well.

Ok so firstly, your 3rd element on your Vectis should be Primed Cryo rounds. Now let's move on to Chroma. You have nowhere near enough power strength, Vigor is absolutely useless and so is Primed flow. I would lose Umbral fiber personally as well as your vex armour is all you really need. Dead Eye is fine for an aura although personally I prefer Enemy Radar for spotting vomvalysts to charge lures. Arcane Nullifier is basically worthless provided your group has a Harrow.

QAYE7OG.jpg

Vital Sense 120% increase > Chamber (40% if I remember).

The Last 2 slots one is for a 60% elemental heat or electricity mod (forget primed cryo round, also never use the normal cryo rounds), and fire rate for non organized groups, for organized groups, use Argon Scope.

12Vg5PV.jpg

1. Vigor is trash and Nullifier is not a good arcane for Chroma, get rollling guard, put it in Vigor place, you can avoid the mag procs with rolling guard, just get away a little from the eidolon, when the scream comes, roll and you are immune from it procs, needs a little practice and the mod need to be max rank. Put arcane momentum in Nullifier place. Also, depends if you get a bad host.
  2. Put Transient Fortitune in its place of Umbral Fiber. Get a Magus elevate on your operator, and you are not going to die with Chroma is hunts.
  3. Flow is kind pointless in hunts since it you don't get max energy that easy. Put Streamline there instead.
  4. Put Vigorous Swap maxed in augur secrets place. Gives more damage than augur secrets.
  5. For more Power, you would need to put Blind rage in place of Rolling Guard (if you put it) Or sacrifice the primed continuity for it.
  6. In Arcane energize place would be acceleration for me, but you can keep it, or put nullifier, w/e.
  7. Exilus -> Handspring or primed sure footed.
  8. Aura corrosive projection.

On 2020-09-13 at 9:15 PM, Lutesque said:

After all my role during the Hunts is just to

This is another issue.  I run with random squads.  I've run with 3 other chromas,  or 3 volts, and all kinds of mixture.  I ran with a squad where we had every lure on the map, and nobody was shooting the eidolon.  So I have no assigned role.

I try to be flexible.  If it look like its taking along time for shields to come down, I concentrate on that.  Same with joints, if things aren't breaking, I try to shoot even more.  

17 hours ago, Lolacrayola said:

You can run Ammo Drum in the exilus slot since your fire rate will be insane

On 2020-09-14 at 1:47 AM, -CdG-Zilchy said:

There's several issues with your setup and I'd like to see what your Vectis build is as well if I may.

QAYE7OG.jpg

Is your chroma using green energy? If not you should be for reload speed. 

Don't use madurai, use unairu and create wisps for the other players to increase their amp damage(and yours).

I've not put much into unairu, but I do have some lens so I'll try  focus farming to build it up.

Don't use arcane nullifier use momentum and avenger. 

My avenger is only rank 2. I will work on building that up as well.

8 hours ago, Lolacrayola said:

3x 5 shot bursts should be enough for Teralyst, 4x for Gantulist and Hydrolyst.

Just equip the high noon stance and press your melee key once while standing still and wait a bit for the attack to end then repeat it. This will strip 120 base armour. On gant repeat this as well and on hydro you can slam into him to strip a further 24 base armour

5 hours ago, _Anise_ said:

I have a build that does so much overkill that I managed to push the other 2 players to display 1% and the last player 0% even though we had near the sameamount of kills, I don't know why the leaderboard counts overkill damage?

but its fine just goto eidolons as a support class no one will question you or single figure damage numbers if they do tell them you are healing ?

and i enjoy memeing on the game in Eidolon Hunts and dealing 50%+ (sometimes 75%+) of the supposed Damage in the entire Mission by firing my Gun once to oneshot Hydrolyst.

and sure you don't have to look good on the Scoreboard if you're sharing Damage buffs or Healing/DR Abilities or Et Cetera.

On 2020-09-12 at 11:35 PM, (PS4)northern_rebal said:

but I think I do.  I've been google'ing, reading wiki, and watching videos but my damage dealt is still in single digits most of the time.

My usual set up is Chroma Prime with a nullifer arcane,  Vectus Prime modded for radiation 1669.5  I have a x23 amp that I guilded and back at rank 24, with Virtuos Strike arcane, and I'm using Maduri school with 7/10 nodes active.

After getting a couple of lures, I use my operator to help against the shields, and when the eidolon flashes red, I switch back to my warframe and shoot the joints, and back to my operator. I've worked on my build a bit and I get quite a few orange crits (never red), but my damage does fluctuates from say 1k upto 3 to 4k, which doesn't seem like alot.

When the mission is over, my stats alway show 5-9% damage dealt.  So, assuming warframe abilities can't damage it, does that mean my Vectus Prime build is terrible?  I try to get alot of shots in, without wasting them.

On another note, I used Rhino Prime tonight, since one of the youtubers said it was decent.  I joined 3 missions and in each one after capturing the first eidolon I did not have a radiant shard to put up to start the next eidolon.  On my third try, one guy with a mic was saying he had the same problem.  Is this just a weird glitch tonight, or a known bug, or was I doing something wrong?  I did get decent rewards from the capture, including an arcane each time.

Your builds probably sucks.

On 2020-09-13 at 4:30 AM, taiiat said:

don't trust the Mission Leaderboard

I have a build that does so much overkill that I managed to push the other 2 players to display 1% and the last player 0% even though we had near the sameamount of kills, I don't know why the leaderboard counts overkill damage?

but its fine just goto eidolons as a support class no one will question you or single figure damage numbers if they do tell them you are healing ?

There's several issues with your setup and I'd like to see what your Vectis build is as well if I may.

First up are you making sure you're getting damaged for your max vex bonus?

Don't use Virtuous strike, use shadow and practice void dashing at the Eidolons head to proc it for more amp crit. 

Is your chroma using green energy? If not you should be for reload speed. 

Don't use arcane nullifier use momentum and avenger. 

Don't use madurai, use unairu and create wisps for the other players to increase their amp damage(and yours).

If you're not creating wisps for the others(before and after the scream) you should be shooting the eidolon, they are taking down the shields not you. The important part for you is to build your combo bonus, that's where the damage comes from. Even when the eidolon is on the ground before it gets up for the final shot, you should be shooting it to build that bonus, use ammo pads if necessary. And of course on the final kill shot, fire through the provided volt shields.

Now gimme a look at your vectis build :)

7 minutes ago, taiiat said:

moreso than Chroma yeah, but if you have Adaptation it's not so bad. even moreso if you have some Umbral Mods since you'll add more Damage Resist on top of that.

That's the thing... The Volt Players I seen using this Build don't use Adaptation.... It's really weird...

9 minutes ago, taiiat said:

3/3 would be asking for a lot but 2/3 gets a nice amount of Tau Resist plus the increased Stats. that Tau Resist plus Adaptation will make you take very little Damage from most of the attacks the Eidolons have.

The Tau Resistance from the Umbral set is very Nice.... It can Keep Ivara alive :)

But then again that's easy for me to say because I have Umbral Polarities on my Ivara....

I think Umbra Forma on Volt is mostly a good idea.... I don't see a reason not to make that investment.

11 minutes ago, taiiat said:

Electric Shield can help protect against the Projectile type attacks too.

I use Recharge Barrier.... After all my role during the Hunts is just to put down Shields for everybody so I I don't have any Strength mods on.... If I do have to Shoot for whatever Reason I get all my Damage from Void Strike.... Which pairs nicely with the Velocitus's 3X Critical Damage Multiplier :O !!!

6 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Isn't that one alil Squishy ?

moreso than Chroma yeah, but if you have Adaptation it's not so bad. even moreso if you have some Umbral Mods since you'll add more Damage Resist on top of that.
3/3 would be asking for a lot but 2/3 gets a nice amount of Tau Resist plus the increased Stats. that Tau Resist plus Adaptation will make you take very little Damage from most of the attacks the Eidolons have.

Electric Shield can help protect against the Projectile type attacks too.

Ya shock trooper and if you can replace the 4th with empower the helmith power boost of 50% before every shock or shield and with a good build you can get 323% power strength then 50% empower on top. 1 rubico clip will solo kill a joint on the eidolon. I use zenurik for energy regen. Other then that my build is similar to OP virtuoso shadow and a 3/3 amp. 

Archived