Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tencent apparently bought out Leyou

(PSN)DEAD_LOCK55

Oookiedokie.

So, long story short, a while back DE got 98% bought by Leyou, which has a couple game studios under its belt, mostly smaller-scale ones. A good chunk of the game's lifespan has been spent with them, and no major changes showed up. Leyou, it should be noted, is a Hong Kong/China owned company (it's based in Hong Kong, but I've heard it owned in China. It's complicated). It should be noted that 2% does include final creative control.

Sometime last year, however, Leyou decided they wanted to sell out. Not sure why, other than the obvious $ factor. Several publishers got in the mix, including Sony, Idreamsky and Tencent. A couple months ago, Tencent signed an exclusivity deal with Leyou, which pretty much means that they're actively looking in and that Leyou won't entertain offers from other companies in the mean time. This deal was for three months and was in early July, so the clock is somewhat running out on this.

Recently, there was some news that the deal has come close to being finalised, pending final decisions from the companies and, since it's international (what with DE and several of the other subsidiary being in countries like Canada), approval from some branch of these governments or another. That's pretty much all the news we have thus far. Nothing has been guaranteed but it's fairly late-stage at the moment. Still, anything could still happen - the exclusivity deal might come to the close and Sony swoops in with a better deal for example. Don't count on that, by the way.

1 minute ago, (PS4)DEAD_LOCK55 said:

The guy also talked about Leyou being big on micro transactions, and the possibility of warframe being a paid game, do you know anything about this?

Leyou is the group that already owns Warframe so the short answer to that would be that what you see in-game already is about what you'd get.

If Tencent completes the purchase of Warframe there's really no telling how that would work out on the matter of micro-transactions.

I can't see the game becoming subscription based and highly doubt there would be any form of forced monetization strategies.

Tencent will definitely look to make a profit but not at the cost of losing customers. 

13 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

Leyou is the group that already owns Warframe so the short answer to that would be that what you see in-game already is about what you'd get.

If Tencent completes the purchase of Warframe there's really no telling how that would work out on the matter of micro-transactions.

I can't see the game becoming subscription based and highly doubt there would be any form of forced monetization strategies.

Tencent will definitely look to make a profit but not at the cost of losing customers. 

I feel like stuff like the supporter packs are probably the worst thing we will see. Sure, that's not Tencent as nothing has been fully finalized yet, but I don't see anything more than more cosmetic and plat packs that are money only. Which honestly if it's cosmetic really isn't a big thing, even if some people make it out to be. There has been Tennogen for a long time too, there will be some cosmetics that are off limits to those who won't shell out cash. 

I just don't expect the game to be microtransaction hell as there are already tons of micros for them to take advantage of in terms of gently pushing players into using them. The system is already incredibly well geared towards small transactions and works swimmingly, which is the reason these companies have interest in the first place. 

They don't want to come in and change everything, they see Warframe as a good investment because it's well geared toward the type of monetization they like and they don't have to do anything or interfere or spend money restructuring the company or its strategy, just sit back and profit. 

2 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I feel like stuff like the supporter packs are probably the worst thing we will see. Sure, that's not Tencent as nothing has been fully finalized yet, but I don't see anything more than more cosmetic and plat packs that are money only. Which honestly if it's cosmetic really isn't a big thing, even if some people make it out to be. There has been Tennogen for a long time too, there will be some cosmetics that are off limits to those who won't shell out cash. 

I just don't expect the game to be microtransaction hell as there are already tons of micros for them to take advantage of in terms of gently pushing players into using them. The system is already incredibly well geared towards small transactions and works swimmingly. 

One thing I will always give DE credit for is that they took a bunch of disparate monetization tactics and weaved them into a tactic that still manages to work years later.

The question will always be," for how long?"  but since they pump out a lot of content annually I think they have room to figure it out. 

If anything, I see Tencent helping them refine it into something that works better without being obtrusive...

I think the Supporter packs are a great step in that direction in that they have exclusives that will encourage purchases without being too insane price-wise.

The 2nd smartest thing DE could do is quietly become their own biggest trader... Drag some of the plat from circulation by offering trend setting pricing on a number of items.

DE simply does not have enough plat sinks in the game to keep it profitable and those that do exist are practically predatory (dojo build wait times for example)

4 hours ago, (XB1)Random Brit7900 said:

I’m going to enjoy all my personal data being stolen by the Chinese...

Fortunately, this is a non-issue, even if Tencent does buyout.

You see, whilst Tencent itself has encouraged subsidiary companies to push data collection, they can't do so in ways that are illegal. And DE is a Canadian company, so they'd be working by Canadian law, whether Tencent likes it or not. And as it turns out? Canadian data protection is extremely rock-solid when it comes to personal data, which even includes your opinions and social situation. Companies must acquire meaningful consent to gather the data (which depends on what data their gathering for what reason), have a legitimate reason to do so (i.e. they can't just gather it to sell), and have to delete it if they don't get separate consent to keep it.

If they want to scoop up your personal opinions to ship off to the CCP, then even if they can get doing so past Canadian data protection  they have to get you to say yes, and they can't put it in the Terms of Service either, it has to be an up-front message informing you what it is your data is used for.

5 minutes ago, Voltage said:

Tencent does not ruin everything they touch like some people think they do. It's not like the game will fall apart because of an investment deal...

Scientifically speaking that is correct. 

But in this world actions speaks louder than words. We need evidence and time so we see what Tencent provides to the table. I'm not going to point fingers yet but I'll be very vigilant how things develops. 

5 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I was witness to the EXACT same hysteria back when the Leyou deal was first announced. Literally none of the doom prophesies came true. 

Some people just freak out when they hear "China". A lot of people see them as a literal enemy. 

I will leave this thought here: "Ask yourself, why that happens?"

8 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

Scientifically speaking that is correct. 

But in this world actions speaks louder than words. We need evidence and time so we see what Tencent provides to the table. I'm not going to point fingers yet but I'll be very vigilant how things develops. 

I honestly feel like Leyou is responsible for 0 of the problems DE has with their game (launches, updates, development, deadlines, etc), and I doubt Tencent will be responsible for any as well. To me I'm on the positive side of things hoping that Tencent can exert some force so we get more polished updates, on time, and in better quantity per year by helping with funding and other overreaching things.

At the end of the day, Tencent just invests in companies to make more money like many other tech and investment companies.

Archived