Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gauss vs Volt...Who’s the fastest?

(XBOX)SweatyPick3L

48 minutes ago, (XB1)C11H22O11 said:

No since Gauss and Volt even Titania are just increasing their speed, Nova is just cutting the race basically. It's like saying Raven is faster than the Flash cause she can just teleport to the finish line

I think there was a comic once where Flash got somewhere faster than a teleporter.

I can't remember what it was though...

2 minutes ago, Raqiya said:

Gauss / Volt Speed post... As one who has touched the pinnacle of Gauss Speed, allow me to present you my video.

Judging from the distance you were from the first lure, and how far away you were when you passed it (about 320-40, so 280), and the time taken to do so (about 3-4 seconds) you were travelling between 93 and 70 in-game metres per second.

Anybody got a read on Volt's maximum speed?

2 hours ago, Aadi880 said:

If we include powers, Titania is the fastest warframe in the game (Yes, faster than Nova)

If we exclude powers, then it would be Gauss and his sprint speed.

If the rules are it’s movement over time, then frames that can teleport are the fastest technically. Nova, Loki, Ash, Wisp can instantly teleport from one spot to another spot. Titania is much much slower if we include powers that is. 

1 hour ago, Raqiya said:

Gauss / Volt Speed post... As one who has touched the pinnacle of Gauss Speed, allow me to present you my video.

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

Judging from the distance you were from the first lure, and how far away you were when you passed it (about 320-40, so 280), and the time taken to do so (about 3-4 seconds) you were travelling between 93 and 70 in-game metres per second.

Anybody got a read on Volt's maximum speed?

@Raqiya show your build, then we can compare to build in the vid. If similar, then Volt looks to be about 2x faster or 186 and 140 in game meters per sec.

21 minutes ago, (XB1)YoungGunn82 said:

If the rules are it’s movement over time, then frames that can teleport are the fastest technically. Nova, Loki, Ash, Wisp can instantly teleport from one spot to another spot. Titania is much much slower if we include powers that is. 

Technically, yes. But teleportation is no fun.

2 hours ago, (XB1)C11H22O11 said:

No since Gauss and Volt even Titania are just increasing their speed, Nova is just cutting the race basically. It's like saying Raven is faster than the Flash cause she can just teleport to the finish line

"Doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile...winnings winning." 

- Dominic Turreto, The Fast and the Furious

39 minutes ago, (XB1)YoungGunn82 said:

In that sense though, Loki, Ash and Wisp (Or teleportation in general) would already have to be at the finishing line and have their anchor there to teleport to. If we are doing that, then we might as well include Necramechs onto the list.

15 minutes ago, (PS4)Madurai-Prime said:

"Doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile...winnings winning." 

- Dominic Turreto, The Fast and the Furious

I'm talking more about speed than winning, yes Nova will get to point B first via teleportation but doesn't mean that her speed is good. 

Gauss has great acceleration but Volt and Titania(no blinking of course) have better top speed. It's either Titania or Volt

getting speed buff from volt then using mach rush is like warp factor 10

I've wanted to experiment with getting a max strength empowered haste mote from wisp, a max strength empowered speed buff from volt and 3 sprint boost auras and see how fast gauss could get across the plains

4 minutes ago, Sleepdebt said:

getting speed buff from volt then using mach rush is like warp factor 10

I've wanted to experiment with getting a max strength empowered haste mote from wisp, a max strength empowered speed buff from volt and 3 sprint boost auras and see how fast gauss could get across the plains

Doesn't Octavia's metronome also boost speed?

4 hours ago, Aadi880 said:

In that sense though, Loki, Ash and Wisp (Or teleportation in general) would already have to be at the finishing line and have their anchor there to teleport to. If we are doing that, then we might as well include Necramechs onto the list.

Can confirm that if teleportation were allowed Wisp would win in flat out "speed". She can with the click of a button teleport across the largest map we have: Orb Vallis. I will give credit to Nova for being the most versatile teleportation, but personally I do not support teleportation counting as being fast.

My only question for the speed war between Gauss and Volt is whether infested mobility stacks addictively or multiplicatively with Volt's speed. If additively, I'd give the win to Gauss, otherwise multiplicative is just insane for Volt. (This is only for on land, if they can stay in it that is) 

In the air, Titania with her augment is insane speeds. Across the plains in less than a second or two.

it's really weird, before i clicked on this thread i would've said gauss hands down, but apparently volt is actually mechanically faster! wild. 

i think that video someone posted is really interesting--how the devs designed gauss to feel fast. the distortion of the map around you, the motion blur, and the speed lines all contribute to that illusion, very effectively, but in a flat-out race, volt's top speed still beats gauss's, even though we still think gauss feels faster.

human psychology is wild, lol

One thing I noticed on the OP was that the video is actually outdated, given the dual arcanes and the sprint speed of Gauss not matching up to my speed build. (vid: 2.48, current 2.54).

This actually sort of brings up the question of what equipment is allowed when comparing the two.  Is it warframe only or including other gear as well as helminth?

Each item that both parties can put on their gear increases Gauss's relative strength since they scale off base sprint speed, whereas the less outside boosts they get the better Volt would do.

I am most likely biased toward Guass, since I like his speed that remains even when the gets hit by a nully or does not have energy. My everyday build for him consists of:

• Sprint boost Aura (in dash pol)
  • Rush (in dash pol)
  • Primed continuity (rank 8 in v pol)
  • Streamline (in dash pol)
  • Umbral Vitality
  • Speed Drift
  • Narrow Minded (in D pol)
  • Armored Agility (in D pol)
  • Augur Secrets
  • Umbral Intensify (rank 5)
  • Arcane Energize
  • Arcane Agility

Where ranks are not mentioned assumed max rank, where pol not mentioned assume none. This gives a base speed of 2.20 not including Sprint boost Aura.

6 of these do not directly increase movement speed, but mainly increase usability.

Here the Helminth's Infested Mobility(IM) comes in. 3 of those 6 now add to Power strength. These 3 give 154% power strength which becomes 92% sprint speed increase due to IM.

You might've noticed I said 2.54 earlier in the post, but only reached 2.20 with warframe mods. This is where Amalgam Serration comes in with it's extra 25%.

Let's assume for the sake of the calculations that all further speed increases are only multiplicative with the base sprint speed, although I would assume otherwise.

So far we have 2.54 +(1.4*( 15%(Sprint Speed aura) +92%(IM)) = 4.038

Not bad for only pressing 1 button every 20s that costs 35 energy. (Based around above build.)

There are 2 more juicy mods that've yet to reach the build, but they require more specific circumstances to be used.

Firstly Dispatch Overdrive a +60% movement speed buff on a heavy attack hit for 15s. Up to 4.878 now.

Lastly Runtime +75% sprint speed after hacking. That's 5.928.

This is thus the minimum speed my build, that is not made for 100% speed, can reach on it's own with some special conditions. There are 2 things that can make this build even faster. Replacing an arcane with phantasm (+60% on block) and focusing more on speed than Gauss utility (Dropping Continuity, Streamline, Narrow Minded replacing with Umbral Fiber, Transient Fortitude and  Blindrage STR: 154->(100+66+24+55+99)=344) this will change IM from 92.4% to 206.4. Thus the max speed a Gauss can achieve on his own is: 2.54+1.4*(0.15+2.064+0.6+0.75+0.6)=8.3696 But remember that this is the max speed with the most conservative assumption about the stacking. This max speed will be awful to use, though.

17 hours ago, JackHargreav said:

While It's impressive how fast you can go, It's really pointless to go with such speed.

Pointless, perhaps, uncontrollable, definitely not. Above I stated my Gauss build and it is entirely usable at full speed, and quite fun to add onto that.

12 hours ago, AConfusedBird said:

it's really weird, before i clicked on this thread i would've said gauss hands down, but apparently volt is actually mechanically faster! wild. 

i think that video someone posted is really interesting--how the devs designed gauss to feel fast. the distortion of the map around you, the motion blur, and the speed lines all contribute to that illusion, very effectively, but in a flat-out race, volt's top speed still beats gauss's, even though we still think gauss feels faster.

human psychology is wild, lol

Yeah, I can feel this effect in play when I am running my Gauss build. At a certain speed his 1 doesn't even feel faster anymore, just more clunky. (This might be due to the general low range build I'm running)

The only quote from the wiki relating to the speed increase his 1 provides is this: "Rushing speed is affected by Sprint Speed." This however does not even confirm that it actually increases his speed. His 1's "speed" might entirely be a visual thing with the abilities main purpose being the synergy with other abilities.

A quick note on Volt: Speed has a max buff of 172%, which the wiki claims to be multiplicative. If this is to be believed, at max solo speed volt would go 8.3696/1.4*2.72=16.26093714. Based purely on the energy consumption this either does not make sense or is purposefully unbalanced. Speed costs 25 energy and gives 50%(Multiplicative) sprint speed boost, as well as other buffs to all team mates near the volt. In comparison IM gives 60%(???) sprint speed and 30% parkour velocity to one player. If both were multiplicative it would be Gauss 16.51496 : 32.086208 Volt. Whereas if both were additive it would be Gauss 8.3696 : 7.6983 Volt.

18 hours ago, (XB1)CaptainSeth5423 said:

Short run gauss long run volt.

To address this, I'd bet other way around if we account for energy usage. AKA Laps around Orb Vallis with no energy sources.(Even starting with a full tank)

Summary: Both can reach high speeds, but the true mulitplicativity/additivity of how these mods stack will determine the real winner. Assuming Wiki is correct, Volt is ~2x faster, if not, it becomes close with Gauss taking the lead. Feel free to correct my assessment.

I did a rough test using Volt and Gauss, 1 lap around a Vallis loop. No buffs outside of abilities and mods. Got a time of 54.90 for Volt and 73.17(no Mach Rush) for Gauss. This does not line up with the multiplicative mentioned in the wiki, as it only seems to be 26% faster and not the estimated 100%.  My conclusion would thus be that Volt's speed might only be multiplicative with base sprint speed, as all other mods and abilities seem to be.

Given the above I would argue that with only a +60% conditional effect Gauss could make up for 25% already, putting them neck and neck. (Gauss base speed - Volt base speed)/25= (1.40-1)/0.25=1.6 That's some crude math, but I think it's valid.

Edit:

I can confirm that Mach Rush's effects still hold strong at high speeds. I was able to do the lap in around 57-58 with the final self recorded time being 58.74. (I ran into a few walls along the way, but kept the time to account for difficulty of control due to slow turning speed and insane FOV) The 4s diff might seem massive, but is only a 1.0145% speed increase.

Edit 2:

Wanted to see the difference gained by more skillful Gauss run. I reached 54.14, thus surpassing Volt.

Loki with speed mods and a duration invisibility build.  Haven’t even done the Helminth buff (or any Helminth because self-respect reasons) on this but you can push over 2.0 base speed easy and you don’t die when the enemy doesn’t target you.  And new shield gating rules avoid OHK.

Just something else to try.

1 hour ago, SpringRocker said:

Khora.

Has highest passive speed available; it scales off of ability strength.

Good call, I was able to get 74.91 on that track I did before, although I have not forma'd her to have all the best mods in, so she could compare to Gauss's passive speed when she has a full strength build.

9 hours ago, (XB1)C11H22O11 said:

Gauss has great acceleration but Volt and Titania(no blinking of course) have better top speed. It's either Titania or Volt

For thoroughness, even though I disagree flight should come into the discussion: I ran Titania on the same Orb Vallis track as those mentioned above. Ended with a 22.29. So she is obviously the fastest discounting teleportation. This is due to her augment being a separate multiplier that is affected by power strength. If you had 344% power strength that would convert to a 4.44x speed increase above all other multipliers. This might be a bit in her favor given the infinite energy, low duration builds I was testing with. Since spamming IM causes Razorwing Blitz to constantly be at 4 stacks.

Archived