Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: Add "Health Gating" for shieldless Warframes

Chettone

As the titles states I suggest adding a similar mechanic as Shield Gating for Warframes that have no innate shields such as Inaros and Nidus.

Some background:

Shield Gating is an effect that occurs when shields are fully depleted, which prevents any excess damage leaking into the health pool. Warframes, Companions, and Necramechs gain 1.3 seconds of invulnerability[1] upon hitting the shield gate, only resetting when shields are allowed to fully replenish.

Shield gating puts health Warframes in a low tier spot for high level missions because they can die from a single enemy shot, whereas shield frames have a 1.3 second invulnerability window to fully recover themselves. Shield gate + Rolling Ward makes this mechanic even stronger

Suggested mechanic: Tenacity (a.k.a Health Gating)

Only Warframes that dont have innate shields will have tenacity. When a Warframe's health reaches to 0 it wont enter into "bleedout" but instead a 1.3 second Tenacity countdown will start. During tenacity status Warframe's health will NOT suffer from enemy damage. Tenacity Status will reset only if the Warframe's health reaches 100%.

My thoughts behind this mechanic:  I personally though many other alternatives for "health gating", but all of them would put health Warframes in a low tier spot compared to shield Warframes. As suggested, Tenacity feels as strong as Shield Gating, but you have to take into account that health doesnt recover as fast as shields. Overall this alternative feels like one of the sub-optimal possible solutions.

Please vote this thread if you want to see this change in game. Suggestions and feedback is always welcome :)

Did you really got a one shot death using Nidus/Inaros? Nidus has a health gating already, 5 seconds invulnerability + 50% healing, much strogner than what you're suggesting. They might not have shields, but they are designed around this, super tanky.

3 hours ago, BasKy said:

Did you really got a one shot death using Nidus/Inaros? Nidus has a health gating already, 5 seconds invulnerability + 50% healing, much strogner than what you're suggesting. They might not have shields, but they are designed around this, super tanky.

I do agree that Inaros and Nidus were designed around not having shields, but so did all low health or shield based Warframes such as Mag. Some have shield regen skills, other have invicibility, others have CC, and those designs are much much older than shield gate.

After completing Steel Path I can confirm that any shield Warframe is tankier than Inaros or Nidus if built correctly

Spoiler

just use rolling guard

You can check on streams/youtube how any player can go Mot survival for hours in steel path like if it was a walk in the park.

Shields are absolutely worthless without Shield gating, while Shieldless frames get exponentially better defense with essential mods. 

The opposite should be stated, that Shield mods need better function since the only value of shields are gating and Adaptation. Shield amount and recharge mods should be combine, since currently players are decreasing their shields for swifter gating, and a new mod which adds a second gate to Shields at the halfway mark, and/or max overshields should be considered. 

Between Umbral mods, superior base multipliers, and adaptation, shieldless frame do not need any such health gating. Add in Rolling Guard and weapon blocking if your still lacking defense, maybe even Quick Thinking and Rage. There are invulnerable frames for players who don't want to manage any survival effort. 

honestly with inaros, on grineer  disruptions anyhting below level 500's i wont care much, ill face tank them, but level 500 to 9999 u got be careful to not get one shot.

rolling gaurd + vulpahyla with Martyr Symbiosis & subsumed silence from banshee kept me alive till level cap.. (mayb a fluke) but yeah..

^Solo mode tho.

Nidus already has undying on top of huge damage reduction and now he got super easy stacks gain too, it's his main stick - being totally immortal. And Inaros has obscene health/EHP.  Both have several built-in healing mechanics before even counting other methods. Asking for more survivabilty on these guys is just.... do you really need god mode on top of god mode? Or maybe you just need to use their abilities once in a while?

Also dont forget that you have melee 100% autoblock, its easier than ever to stay alive if you dont fall alseep... which you might for how trivial this game has become.

19 hours ago, (PSN)IIFrost_GhostII said:

"Health gating won't hurt much. at least this will help me NOT get one shotted by a toxic ancient grapple attack out of nowhere."

The star example of unfairness > difficulty

Preach 

Ancient grapples, slaps nor darts that do the damage (its 800~ish damage on tanky frames direct to hp pre adaptation/circa 400-500 to hp post shieldgate on SP) till scaling hits stupid levels/almost everything infested is near lethal, its their 2.4-3k breath attack at level 90+ with a disjointed hitbox and no visual effects after the first second and half thats the problem. Well ok the big slap does do over 1k but its a bit windup slap so thats fine and the dart should really be fixed to not be instant with infinite ally PT/it should be bodyblocked by other infested, but really the main bullS#&$ case there is just the invisible disjointed hitbox breath attack.

So let me get this straight... you are suggesting to add Nidus a passive that makes him immortal for short time when he is about to die? What about his current passive that makes him immortal for short time when he is about to die? not good enough?

On 2020-12-12 at 3:26 AM, TTraw said:

So let me get this straight... you are suggesting to add Nidus a passive that makes him immortal for short time when he is about to die? What about his current passive that makes him immortal for short time when he is about to die? not good enough?

That requires 15 mutation stacks, LOL

Archived