Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why are the Unreal Tournament weapon skins look really good compared to the other skins? Why only those and why only on a few weapons?

sitfesz

I do think they are really a masterpiece, but they are tied to specific weapons I barely use.
Also the tennogen skins both weapon and warframe always scales above the DE original ones, but that is only my opinion.

DE is (apparently) really caring about "fashionframe", so why exactly do you think we don't have more badass weapon skins like the UT ones? And why even the UT ones are tied to specific weapons?

Apparently the warframe game is produced by many artists, some skins have details similar for example, the skin of khora nezha zephyr and titania seems to have been produced by the same artist, whereas the skin of vauban is another artist because the joints and movements distort the general appearance

5 minutes ago, Famecans said:

Apparently the warframe game is produced by many artists, some skins have details similar for example, the skin of khora nezha zephyr and titania seems to have been produced by the same artist, whereas the skin of vauban is another artist because the joints and movements distort the general appearance

That's right, however I don't understand why the similarities and variety of artists come to this topic as it was based on artist variety when I mentioned the tennogen artists. Tennogen is so popular because the tennogen skins can easily beat the DE skins.

5 minutes ago, Kiaru said:

DE made Unreal Tournament 1

Indeed, but those skins are still not universal and most of the warframe weapon skins are not even close to UT weapon skin quality. The weapon skins are mostly recolor anyway, but I'm stricly saying about the other model skins.

These skins are actually models lifted from a different game entirely. Quake Champions, if I recall correctly. As a result they aren't designed to match Warframe's aesthetic.

As for why they're tied to specific weapons, it's because they are supposed to be the "best match" to how the respective weapons behave in their own game (not that they always line up. The Quanta would have been a better fit for the Shock Rifle IMO).

I imagine they were paid to produce those specific skins. If we could get companies to pay them to release more skins as promotions.  Maybe we could get some really neat skins.

Like Halo skins and armor in promotion of Halo infinite.

Melee skins for some exclusive single player game like god of war. 

operator cosmetics for sports events.

although I am sure others are reading this and hate it with a passion so idk.

I guess given DE made Unreal Tournament, and the fact that a lot of people are still fans of it, they felt the need to go above and beyond with those skins in particular.

I do think that Tennogen creators seem to have a better grasp on what the players want in terms of aesthetics though. my only real gripe is that I'd like to see more diversity with which weapon sand frames get given Tennogen treatment. lord knows we have more than enough Excalibur and Heavy Blade Tennogen Skins...

12 minutes ago, (PSN)anansispiderPS said:

The skins are pretty specific in design. The universal skins are very generic

That's the point. Why? There is a latron elixis skin which is great and goes on almost every single-handed secondary pistol. We also got a soaktron assault rifle skin, but we can't have the nice things?

13 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

I guess given DE made Unreal Tournament, and the fact that a lot of people are still fans of it, they felt the need to go above and beyond with those skins in particular.

I think you might be right, but still don't understand why do they neglect their weapons in their currently developed game.

14 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

I do think that Tennogen creators seem to have a better grasp on what the players want in terms of aesthetics though. my only real gripe is that I'd like to see more diversity with which weapon sand frames get given Tennogen treatment. lord knows we have more than enough Excalibur and Heavy Blade Tennogen Skins...

The tennogen creators absolutely know it. Honestly I'm always jealous to their stuff. Indeed, the downside is that you can't force them to frames they don't prefer though :D

-

I tried to research, but I didn't find any info if DE worked on the 2014 version of UT. I know they did on the previous ones though and these skins are not from the previous ones.

43 minutes ago, sitfesz said:

Indeed, but those skins are still not universal and most of the warframe weapon skins are not even close to UT weapon skin quality. The weapon skins are mostly recolor anyway, but I'm stricly saying about the other model skins.

The short answer is that DE makes a lot of really shortsighted programming decisions

In particular DE has a bad habit of tying stats and visuals a lot closer together than they should. The Soaktron weapon skin will literally crash the game if applied to certain rifles, because of the dependency chain. Similar issues popped up with Zaws and Kitguns, where applying weapon skins to them at all would cause them to do zero damage (either the weapon stats were saved in the 3D model file, or the game was checking what files were being opened up instead of other, more sensible data flags).

It's possible all of what I wrote is wrong and DE actually coded the weapon skins properly this time. In which case the answer is "because they said so". Perhaps they just don't want any shotgun except the Dragoon to use the skin

9 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

The short answer is that DE makes a lot of really shortsighted programming decisions

In particular DE has a bad habit of tying stats and visuals a lot closer together than they should. The Soaktron weapon skin will literally crash the game if applied to certain rifles, because of the dependency chain. Similar issues popped up with Zaws and Kitguns, where applying weapon skins to them at all would cause them to do zero damage (either the weapon stats were saved in the 3D model file, or the game was checking what files were being opened up instead of other, more sensible data flags).

It's possible all of what I wrote is wrong and DE actually coded the weapon skins properly this time. In which case the answer is "because they said so". Perhaps they just don't want any shotgun except the Dragoon to use the skin

The good old spaghetti code reference. Yeah, I can imagine that, it could explain many things.
Soaktron skin and skins on kitguns crashing games were news to me.
Your guess is the most believable so far.

Edit: I can go with that, because not having skins is much better than having skins that crash the game.

the skins have specific animations and textures for the specific weapons theyre on such as the stahlta alt fire effect. My guess would just be they wanted to narrow what the skins would go on to maximise the creative design that could go into them to match them most to what theyre modeled after. Having them apply to every weapon of their type might've just interfered with that alot with having to reduce specificity of features or expand them rapidly and create more work e.g. "oh but how will the skin handle this alt fire on this one are we making a new effect or?", "we made this really intense explosion effect for the skin but this rifle fires explosives at incredibly higher rates".

Even stuff like the Oscira rifle skin wont go on all weapons just because it would be insane work to make a universal rifle skin without just going bullet weapons/more conventional projectile weapons only like it does. I dont think to date we have had a universal launcher skin for the same reason because the bullet model would have to look good as an ogris rocket and as a static penta grenade on the ground.

The only one with the least excuses is probably the drakgoon but someone might prove me wrong. Universal shot gun skins are a thing and still apply to the drakgoon but at that point they might have just kept it unique to keep it loyal to the rest of the skin pack and avoid confusion or a further impossible demand toward universality of the others.

Throwing in my two cents into the mix just to say that I had claimed the Unreal Tournament Skins on Epic Games as they look cool as hell, but was completely deterred by the need to reinstall the whole game AGAIN on the Epic Games launcher. A real shame.

Although can someone confirm if the skins are obtainable or not now, even if I had claimed in on the store?

1 hour ago, FailixS said:

Throwing in my two cents into the mix just to say that I had claimed the Unreal Tournament Skins on Epic Games as they look cool as hell, but was completely deterred by the need to reinstall the whole game AGAIN on the Epic Games launcher. A real shame.

There is a guide for moving the steam application over to the epic games files that worked fine for me after going through the steps. The longest part was just downloading the Epic games client.

1 hour ago, FailixS said:

Although can someone confirm if the skins are obtainable or not now, even if I had claimed in on the store?

Skins were a timed offer. If you claimed the skins already, then you should be able to add them through launching Warframe in their client.

On 2021-08-05 at 11:27 PM, TARINunit9 said:

Perhaps they just don't want any shotgun except the Dragoon to use the skin

Since the Drakgoon was explicitly based on the Flak Cannon, this is the most likely reason.

Right now, I think why most skins are very generic and are basically just texture swaps is to reduce bloat what such additions would add to the game. Meshes, textures, animations, sound and particle FX. All those things might not be much on a per-skin basis, but I imagine they stack up quickly to once again bloat up the space the game takes on a drive. This is especially important with regards to consoles as they tend to have much less storage capacity compared to PC. I mean, they just announced crossplay and save on everything including mobile! 

Sure, there are artists in DE and the TennoGen community who can make awesome skins but even they have limits when all you have to work with are textures and bump and lightmaps. And then, when talking about DE, if they go into all this trouble to design, model and rig a whole gun what logic is there to have this be a skin and not a whole new weapon? 

I am going to admit that I am somewhat surprised DE hasn't yet figured out a way to basically have a transmutation system for guns where you could make one gun look like a whole other existing gun. Total conversion skins show that it is possible, just wondering why technically I can't for some platinum cost, convert one gun into an universal skin. 

Archived