Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Making Archwing more badass

(PSN)Jacobivan

Just a quick, simple idea to make Archwing in Railjack missions (and possibly elsewhere) more fun. When in archwing, hold melee to latch onto nearest fighter in range and smack it with archmelee until it blows up or you let go of melee button. The fighter would continue to fly, possibly trying to shake you off? You could also hold aim button while latched to use your archgun without letting go of the fighter ship. Strafing run through enemy formation while saturating them with Ayanga:-D That would be awesome:-)

Yeah i know, Railjack boring, Archwing worse, not true Warframe experience, DE please remove. My proposal would only increase fun factor, not try to fix the system. 

What do you guys think? 

4 minutes ago, o0Despair0o said:

Anything that adds to the fun is good in my book.

Though it'd probably be faster to just shoot the guy.

Yeah, but no Astral Autopsy. That actually started my train of thought:-) 'Gah, that guy moves while i try to smack him.' Why can't i just stick to him... Besides, i can finish all the fighters in Veil Proxima Void Storm in less than a minute using Lavos spamming two abilities. Of course latching to fighters and attacking them in melee is much, much slower than that. But it would add an option, make Archwing combat much more fluid and satisfying. Imagine expanding the moveset, like adding the ability to bullet jump (super fast, almost like archwing slingshot. Or... Make it actually able to pierce into crewhips like slingshot, but from lower range.) It would still not be stronger than RJ with decent guns, but add to Archwings fluidity, to bring them closer to our frames in that departament. 

1. I think that it would actually be rather cool if we could latch onto enemies and pull them out of their space craft if they are open, something close to the old Archwing Trailers when the Tenno were fighting the Balor Fleet.

2. Allow for Sentinels to accompany you into battle. I don't want to sit here in the middle of space and just slowly scan each enemy plane that comes within a 20m distance, I would like to have my Helios scanning and helping out or maybe a Shade to help turn invisible, something like that.

3. Make the enemies more alive, in the current game, Archwing Enemies are literally just floating around and bumping into each other like they got lobotomized before they were given a jetpack or space craft. Make them actually chase you, have special squadrons that appear with distinct enemy types.

4. To add onto that, in Railjack, when enemies spawn in with a crew ship, it is basically a random selection of fighters. I propose that they have some more military ideas. Have squadrons appear with the Crewships, certain enemy types appear with Crewships only, and when a Crewship is destroyed then random fighters can come in since Crewships are very important in Railjack missions.

Honestly, I think the main issue with Archwing and Railjack for regular players is that you basically just sit there or move around slowly and kill enemies, they rarely come to you or when they do they cut you to ribbons way too quickly. For loreframes (like myself) I'd like to see actual squadrons or battlegroups with specific enemies coming in with the Crewships and show how desperate they get when one or two is destroyed with the fighters. 

Also, I know about Astral Autopsy, but running in with your melee weapon in Railjack is not a very smart thing to do, that and it is really just a waste of endo and Simaris points.

Astral Autopsy wouldn't really be necessary if they just made a Plexus mod for Railjack that scans enemies within a certain range. a mod slot is a fair trade off, and one already done with Astral Autopsy users anyway. as for Archwings:

- just about all of them except Amesha need a serious power buff: I feel sad when I think of Elytron and how it's "nuke" is pathetic. 

-Arch-weapons need more complex mods: nightmare/corrupted mods, and ideally their own Galvanized mods. these "heavy weapons" are weaker than many regular primaries.

- rework arch melee to latch onto faster moving enemies as you said. also maybe allow you to deflect attacks with archmelee: we can do it with regular melee, why not in space with archmelee?

still waiting on modular archwings as well, probably with New War.

12 hours ago, (XBOX)ScooterLaroo said:

1. I think that it would actually be rather cool if we could latch onto enemies and pull them out of their space craft if they are open, something close to the old Archwing Trailers when the Tenno were fighting the Balor Fleet.

2. Allow for Sentinels to accompany you into battle. I don't want to sit here in the middle of space and just slowly scan each enemy plane that comes within a 20m distance, I would like to have my Helios scanning and helping out or maybe a Shade to help turn invisible, something like that.

3. Make the enemies more alive, in the current game, Archwing Enemies are literally just floating around and bumping into each other like they got lobotomized before they were given a jetpack or space craft. Make them actually chase you, have special squadrons that appear with distinct enemy types.

4. To add onto that, in Railjack, when enemies spawn in with a crew ship, it is basically a random selection of fighters. I propose that they have some more military ideas. Have squadrons appear with the Crewships, certain enemy types appear with Crewships only, and when a Crewship is destroyed then random fighters can come in since Crewships are very important in Railjack missions.

Honestly, I think the main issue with Archwing and Railjack for regular players is that you basically just sit there or move around slowly and kill enemies, they rarely come to you or when they do they cut you to ribbons way too quickly. For loreframes (like myself) I'd like to see actual squadrons or battlegroups with specific enemies coming in with the Crewships and show how desperate they get when one or two is destroyed with the fighters. 

Also, I know about Astral Autopsy, but running in with your melee weapon in Railjack is not a very smart thing to do, that and it is really just a waste of endo and Simaris points.

1,2,3,4 I fully agree with. Pulling pilots out of their fighters would be awesome. 

Astral Autopsy I've gotten years ago, allowed me to scan all Archwing (and Sharkwing) enemies without too much hassle. It kinda works in Railjack, you just have to shoot enemy craft till they are low and then smack:-)

2 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

Astral Autopsy wouldn't really be necessary if they just made a Plexus mod for Railjack that scans enemies within a certain range. a mod slot is a fair trade off, and one already done with Astral Autopsy users anyway. as for Archwings:

- just about all of them except Amesha need a serious power buff: I feel sad when I think of Elytron and how it's "nuke" is pathetic. 

-Arch-weapons need more complex mods: nightmare/corrupted mods, and ideally their own Galvanized mods. these "heavy weapons" are weaker than many regular primaries.

- rework arch melee to latch onto faster moving enemies as you said. also maybe allow you to deflect attacks with archmelee: we can do it with regular melee, why not in space with archmelee?

still waiting on modular archwings as well, probably with New War.

I agree on all counts. I loved Elytron kit, (you are your own bomber craft) but it needs some serious power buffs. Adding scaling to enemy level would probably be enough. 

18 hours ago, (PSN)Jacobivan said:

Just a quick, simple idea to make Archwing in Railjack missions (and possibly elsewhere) more fun. When in archwing, hold melee to latch onto nearest fighter in range and smack it with archmelee until it blows up or you let go of melee button. The fighter would continue to fly, possibly trying to shake you off?

You kind of already do that. I know what you are really proposing, but in the existing game, pressing melee in Archwing makes the game teleport you closer to Railjack fighters so that your hitbox will actually hit them, and you can do it repeatedly

46 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

You kind of already do that. I know what you are really proposing, but in the existing game, pressing melee in Archwing makes the game teleport you closer to Railjack fighters so that your hitbox will actually hit them, and you can do it repeatedly

It works in archwing missions, but not in Railjack versus fighters. At least not well. And it looks janky, in both types of archwing content. 

Yeah i know, Railjack boring, Archwing worse, not true Warframe experience, DE please remove.

Easily going to disagree on the first, second needs more variety of tiles but isn't inherently bad or boring.

Also "true Warframe experience" I'm truly and utterly tired of seeing this garbage mentioned, Warframe is a sandbox/universe that shouldn't in any way be reduced down to either a cookie cutter anything or to some "hack-n-slash shooter". Its better than that limited scope view and I easily welcome every scifi-vein expansion they add in to move away from that base tier concept. I've mentioned it before and will keep mentioning it, but I'd rather see WF move towards Mass Effect, than be chained to some hack-n-slash action game that never goes beyond that. That's coming from someone that's been here for 8 years and seen the evolution (which is exactly what its been a constant evolution of the world). When I started WF it wasn't the action that got me pulled in, it was the scifi universe that showed potential and things like Archwing and especially RJ have only reinforced that.

Also the idea of removing either can go right in a dum(b)pster and be set on fire, cause no they definitely should NOT be removed at all. Ideas for improving them are all good, but not the b.s. of removing either.

I still think DE should take some cues from Strike Suit Zero and give archwings a real-time mode switch between fighter-style handling (Constant forward motion with W and S adjusting speed like a throttle, and unrestricted pitch, yaw and roll) and the current Zone of the Enders-like handling (perhaps with a target lock system and defensive buffs while in the mode to compensate for reduced movement speed).

Archwings essentially take the role of Fighters in the Tenno arsenal, so we might as well lean into it.

20 hours ago, CrimsonXX said:

Easily going to disagree on the first, second needs more variety of tiles but isn't inherently bad or boring.

Also "true Warframe experience" I'm truly and utterly tired of seeing this garbage mentioned, Warframe is a sandbox/universe that shouldn't in any way be reduced down to either a cookie cutter anything or to some "hack-n-slash shooter". Its better than that limited scope view and I easily welcome every scifi-vein expansion they add in to move away from that base tier concept. I've mentioned it before and will keep mentioning it, but I'd rather see WF move towards Mass Effect, than be chained to some hack-n-slash action game that never goes beyond that. That's coming from someone that's been here for 8 years and seen the evolution (which is exactly what its been a constant evolution of the world). When I started WF it wasn't the action that got me pulled in, it was the scifi universe that showed potential and things like Archwing and especially RJ have only reinforced that.

Also the idea of removing either can go right in a dum(b)pster and be set on fire, cause no they definitely should NOT be removed at all. Ideas for improving them are all good, but not the b.s. of removing either.

Yeah, I should have used 'quote' ;-) I actually like both RJ and AW and would like this modes to be improved, rather than becoming abandoned content. 

My idea of 'true Warframe experience' is fast, fluid movement and combat system. AW is clunky and has way less movement options than our frames. I want it to be better, more fun to play, so I could spend more time flying through space on my rocket wings:-)

20 hours ago, Corvid said:

I still think DE should take some cues from Strike Suit Zero and give archwings a real-time mode switch between fighter-style handling (Constant forward motion with W and S adjusting speed like a throttle, and unrestricted pitch, yaw and roll) and the current Zone of the Enders-like handling (perhaps with a target lock system and defensive buffs while in the mode to compensate for reduced movement speed).

Archwings essentially take the role of Fighters in the Tenno arsenal, so we might as well lean into it.

Do you mean something like this? Normal movement as it is, but when you toggle dash, wings fold behind you giving you vastly improved speed with constant thrust, tramsforming you into jet fighter in function? 

5 hours ago, (PSN)Jacobivan said:

Yeah, I should have used 'quote' ;-) I actually like both RJ and AW and would like this modes to be improved, rather than becoming abandoned content. 

My idea of 'true Warframe experience' is fast, fluid movement and combat system. AW is clunky and has way less movement options than our frames. I want it to be better, more fun to play, so I could spend more time flying through space on my rocket wings:-)

That I can agree with, maybe if/when the compartmentalized AW's arrive it'll have some element of addressing that sort of thing.

15 hours ago, (PSN)Jacobivan said:

Do you mean something like this? Normal movement as it is, but when you toggle dash, wings fold behind you giving you vastly improved speed with constant thrust, tramsforming you into jet fighter in function? 

In essence, yes.

On 2021-08-21 at 7:11 AM, (PSN)Jacobivan said:

I loved Elytron kit, (you are your own bomber craft) but it needs some serious power buffs.

There was nothing better than the OG Elytron, but be serious even then its "kit" was god awful.  Thumper was just so good you didn't care that the other three powers were - and still are - utter garbage.

On 2021-08-24 at 12:20 AM, (PSN)Agent_CHAR said:

There was nothing better than the OG Elytron, but be serious even then its "kit" was god awful.  Thumper was just so good you didn't care that the other three powers were - and still are - utter garbage.

When i got Elytron, it was a big step up from Odonata, i immensely enjoyed all explosive glory. And Elytron's 4 nuke was the best looking explosion in the game at that time (about a month after Warframes ps4 release). So yeah, objectively only Thumper is super good, but my fond memories color the whole kit in the shade of awesome;-)

Archived