The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A detailed analysis of Steam Reviews for the last 10 days.

(XBOX)SweatyPick3L

4 hours ago, Vit0Corleone said:

Have you tried to correlate this to how many Chinese players there are?

That would be kind of important to figure out if this is really a "chinese" thing, or just a reflection of Warframe having a ton of Chinese players.

What would be the positive/negative break down for a different country, like say France?

This.  I think we need to identify the actual distribution of players from different countries first, before we can draw any more conclusions.

As well, as I was browsing the reviews, I found most of them to be from seemingly-legit accounts (with hundreds to thousands of hours in the game), yet at least a handful from fake accounts with under 10 hours.  Do we know if the person who performed this work filtered out the reviews from obviously fake accounts (even if some claim to play on a different platform)?

Finally, I am very surprised at the average review length of 800 characters.  As I read through them, most were single-line swearing that provided no information at all.  Perhaps taking the median instead of the mean would give us a more robust look at how long the typical reviews were?

Edit: Also, just keyword matching 悟 (the "wu" in Wukong) and "AOE" is a bit too simplistic.  Take this review from a legit user with 3600+ hours on record, for example:

===================
削弱炸b和猴我没说话,但这卡尔任务我必须不推荐了,劳资把星察借给卡尔不行吗,收集品地点随机,武器刮痧,还让你用打一发就换弹的晶能纯纯恶心人,爬吧de,不会做潜行游戏别做,上次玻璃匠直接我直接晕3d,这次你还发扬光大?看我时长应该有点说服力吧,傻逼de
===================

They're referring to Wukong as 猴 (monkey) and AOE as 炸 (explosive).  But more importantly, this user is stating that they have no objections to the nerfs.  They're mostly complaining about the Kahl missions being boring.

probably the bots and alt accounts used to post negative reviews is already being cleaned up

Shows just how much the warframe community, a part of it, is unable and unwilling to accept change, and will whine at the slight change to their favorite AFK toys

vor 27 Minuten schrieb (PSN)Lollybomb:

Looks like they're losing steam already.

The more important number to look at though is how many people are playing.  Clearly with so many negative reviews the active player count should have gone~

pwlxzK0.png

oh it hasn't appreciably changed at all.  Go figure.

https://steamcharts.com/app/230410

A major new release hasn't changed the active player count at all. Clearly this is a good sign.

Ammo changes and Wuclone nerf made me renew my positive review.

But this latest "not Warframe" update made it an instant negative. After years of having it positive, I know it changes nothing, but I will talk with my review and my wallet, as it should be done. I was going to support the former changes with my wallet, but I cannot support the later update with it, so we all lose. I lose because I feel like it is an involution for Warframe, and DE loses because they won't get my sweet money. 

This goes to everyone claiming the recent updates were a good idea and AOE weapon users are the minority or that "most people didnt liked the update" is a myth.

Take a look how from 88 % positive on steam, recent reviews instantly after the update changed to 25 % positive. (resulting in mostly negative reviews on steam)

If you now really cant see it and cant accept it, you truely are blind to things.

I only wanted to state this and leave it here as something to consider. Not for a discussion, just as a fact statement. Make excuses or discuss it any way you want. Fact remains, since this update the game suddenly changed to this and was in direct connection to this update.

Do with this info whatever you want

siiiigh... getting tired of these "but steam reviews!" posts.

here's someone who has done analysis for the steam reviews over the last 10 days. note that when OP says "everyone's *@##$ing about the ammo nerfs" they mean 12% because the majority of the reviews (as pointed out in the comments) are things like "game sucks" or "DE suck my *expletive*", in some cases even "my friend told me to leave a negative review, so i did."

TLDR: game is being reviewbombed in an effort to revolt against wukong fixes.

31分钟前 , SDGDen 说:

siiiigh... getting tired of these "but steam reviews!" posts.

here's someone who has done analysis for the steam reviews over the last 10 days. note that when OP says "everyone's *@##$ing about the ammo nerfs" they mean 12% because the majority of the reviews (as pointed out in the comments) are things like "game sucks" or "DE suck my *expletive*", in some cases even "my friend told me to leave a negative review, so i did."

TLDR: game is being reviewbombed in an effort to revolt against wukong fixes.

the post literailly states ammo is mentioned 10 times more than wukong, why people think it's all about monkey?

36 minutes ago, SakuyaJoeyy said:

the post literailly states ammo is mentioned 10 times more than wukong, why people think it's all about monkey?

Because people seeking some sense of legitimacy to their personally-motivated review bomb don't want to just outright state within that they're doing it because most clearly busted thing got changed. If anything, the relative absence of it, from China where Wukong was their poster-boy 'frame, is more conspicuous given the magnitude of changes centering around his primary 'playstyle'.

Basically, they're going to write a lot of aimless fluff and scattershot complaints pointed everywhere to make it seem like it's not just a bomb due to salt over a specific thing.

3 hours ago, SakuyaJoeyy said:

It also states that, out of all of the negative reviews, only 2/10 have the words "wukong", "AOE", "Ammo", or "Nerf". Its very likely that 8/10 negative comments are just variations of "I f*cking hate [Developer] I hope [Insert unpleasant thing here]" (this is all ignoring the fact that you cant just grep for user opinions on a dataset)

Additionally, ~5/6 of the reviews are in chinese, if this was a universally hated change you would most likely see a more equal ratio between negative english reviews and negative chinese reviews rather than 80% of all reviews being chinese.

Its also not a good to corealate "unpopularity" with "badness", whenever theres a nerf -- ovbiously justified or not -- people flock to the fourms, reddit etc to complain because they like they've been "punished" for doing something, it happens with pretty much any game in the MMO/Looter shooter genre.

> Do as OP suggested and look at steam review

> Review bomb going down exponentially, while player count more or less steady

> Lots of angry foul language in simplified Chinese, most of them sounds like what kids would have said when they scream at each other.

> The childish wording they used is entertaining to read.

Tenno......Am I supposed to take these negative comments seriously? 

1 minute ago, RichardKam said:

Am I supposed to take these negative comments seriously? 

Nha, it has alredy been tested. a good 90% of the bad reviews come from people that have Steam China. 

DE will not even talk about it, it's just afk-farmers being mad that DE stopped their market exploits and scams with one single fix. 

4 hours ago, (PSN)max141064 said:

Nha, it has alredy been tested. a good 90% of the bad reviews come from people that have Steam China. 

DE will not even talk about it, it's just afk-farmers being mad that DE stopped their market exploits and scams with one single fix. 

not everybody using AFK farming.....

As expected, the people that dont posses any empathy and only care about themselfes come up with excuses about the steam review and are to unable to finally accept cold numbers.

So this, is the future of warframe community, those are the people that are staying. People that enjoy and mock others about not beeing happy with the changes.

What happened with the Tenno community we had so many years ago that i loved? Where people actually helped each other, and didnt mock each other for "Ha Ha! Your favourite weapons got nerfed, you deserved it because you are brainless" (Because lets be honest, this is what you get to read at the moment, mockery and spitefulness to others not beeing happy about the changes)

People came here to get away from that kind of scum, only mocking them and beeing spitefull. Now its FILLED with those kind of people, worse, they even get an open ear from the game makers and changes are made in favour of THOSE people? Wouldnt have expected DE to side with such people, but seeing how they changed things to what it is now because complaints of exactly that people? It sadly appears very much like it.

Really hope they revert almost all those changes and try a different approach without unnessacarily nerfing weapons to the ground, but in a way that it just wouldnt make sense anymore using "overkill" weapons on missions where stealth, precision ect is more needed. Rewarding precision WHERE NEEEDED... but also destruction where THAT is needed...

Its not about the weapons, its the game mechanics (some of which could actually be changed to adjust it)

Only observing and spending a lot more of my time elsewhere at the moment, in the hopes that DE realizes who they right now indirectly sided with on those changes.

And to the others, dont take them to serious, there are people in the world that seems to need this, to enjoy if others are unhappy since they cant gain happyness on their own. Dont hate them, feel sorry for them

11 hours ago, TheLexiConArtist said:

Because people seeking some sense of legitimacy to their personally-motivated review bomb don't want to just outright state within that they're doing it because most clearly busted thing got changed. If anything, the relative absence of it, from China where Wukong was their poster-boy 'frame, is more conspicuous given the magnitude of changes centering around his primary 'playstyle'.

Basically, they're going to write a lot of aimless fluff and scattershot complaints pointed everywhere to make it seem like it's not just a bomb due to salt over a specific thing.

Well wukong wasn't exactly that welcomed in Chinese player community either, believe it or not. People been complaining for far too long about warframe becoming monkey simulator. So try not to make haste assumption.

Jokes aside, from what I see people mainly use wukong's 2 to speed up short missions or bypass spy/rescue mission, so long the cloud walk isn't changed it's fine to most players, your weapon can oneshot anything apart from SP. When it's longer farming mission like survival, wisp/nekeos/khora were common choices.

And I just run Octavia on anything 👌

8 hours ago, MR_MP said:

It also states that, out of all of the negative reviews, only 2/10 have the words "wukong", "AOE", "Ammo", or "Nerf". Its very likely that 8/10 negative comments are just variations of "I f*cking hate [Developer] I hope [Insert unpleasant thing here]" (this is all ignoring the fact that you cant just grep for user opinions on a dataset)

Additionally, ~5/6 of the reviews are in chinese, if this was a universally hated change you would most likely see a more equal ratio between negative english reviews and negative chinese reviews rather than 80% of all reviews being chinese.

Its also not a good to corealate "unpopularity" with "badness", whenever theres a nerf -- ovbiously justified or not -- people flock to the fourms, reddit etc to complain because they like they've been "punished" for doing something, it happens with pretty much any game in the MMO/Looter shooter genre.

So I was arguing it's NOT ALL about the monkey, thanks for solidifying it. 

On 2022-09-15 at 3:53 PM, Dark_RRiderr said:

As expected, the people that dont posses any empathy and only care about themselfes come up with excuses about the steam review and are to unable to finally accept cold numbers.

Here's some cold numbers for you:

10,749 negative reviews in the previously mentioned dataset, most being from a localised region. Note that there's no way of telling if these are anything but sockpuppet accounts since you can review just as easily with 1 minute ingame as with 10000 hours

58,675 concurrent players on Steam client Warframe at this very moment according to Steam Stats.

So the number of bad reviews from a ten day dataset are 18.32% of a single moment's concurrent players on that platform alone. And I do this in a weekday at a fair middling point where some of the EU and all of US playerbase are probably still busy commuting from, or are still in, their workday.

Conclusion: Even supposing no deliberate, disingenuous review bomb, according to 'cold numbers' most players are in fact too busy playing to leave shoddy reviews because they don't mind the changes, or at worst face them with only the average saltiness of any update that touches personally favoured toys.

Archived