Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Playable Operator (as alternative to Drifter) in Duviri Paradox

equidingo

Devstream #168 just ended. And I am here to beg you, developers. Let the players choose Operator or Drifter to go in Duviri Paradox. I spent a lot of time to make my operator looks that I enjoy. Face, accessories, costume, coloring. I don't want to play Drifter. I cant create look I like on it. I understand, there is lack of time till Duviri Paradox release to implement that - I'll wait and hope that it will be done. 

PS: I don't want to play as Drifter. If there is will not be the Operator - Duviri Paradox is DEAD update to me. Sorry and appreciate for understanding.

I don't really want to play as drifter either, it's like changing the protagonist in the middle of the story. Drifter just feels super awkward with their animations like the slow run feeling as well.

But I am not at the level of catastrophe you are at maybe? I'm going to at least play through the drifter parts for the story anyways ^^;

I am willing to at least give it a chance?

I don't think it is possible from story perspective, but I do agree, Operator desperately needs some content for them.

Drifter appeared out of nowhere and gets more and more suff pumped into them, while Operator is kinda just there, existing and that's it.

Imagine doing everything from training relentlessly to fighting several different armies to even saving your leader when she was brainwashed by the enemy only for an alternate dimension version of you to come, steal your powers, and then take your place on the mortal plane suspending you in zariman limbo while he gets all of your stuff.

11 hours ago, V2lkyr said:

I still don't understand why the face tattoos could't be face PAINT for the operator.I'd imagine they could get some really long lasting paint in the warframe future.

Yeah it makes no sense. They might've chosen to call them tattoos so they can have something exclusive to the Drifter.

Then again, we're already slaughtering hundreds of thousands of enemies every day, with the same child. Is some tattoo really where we draw the line?

Think Which One GIF

Also, all of the Ventkids are covered in tattoos as well. Rocky even has a face one.

Story wise, I wish the drifter was just the operator from the future, and we operated in some sort of time loop. I don't like the idea of the drifter and operator being practically two different people with different experiences. 

I think time loops are better than multiverse style stories. At least with timeloops, you have to maintain some kind of consistency.

12 hours ago, V2lkyr said:

I still don't understand why the face tattoos could't be face PAINT for the operator.I'd imagine they could get some really long lasting paint in the warframe future.

Personally, I think Operators should have Somatics while Drifters get the tattoos respectively. Not sure if it was ever officially established, but I always thought the former were implants used to help channel Void energy into Warframes, so it didn't really make sense for Drifters to have them.

2 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

sadly just like  with the drafter camp feels like they want the drifter the "lore" choice, just let us keep operator so we dont complain and won't be their focus

It's called the Drifter's Camp because the Drifter is the one who set it up. The Operator has had story focus for the majority of the game's lifespan, so in my eyes it's only fair for Drifter to get a little love, especially since AotZ established that DE are perfectly willing to give both their own unique dialogue.

Bear in mind, I'm saying this as someone who prefers the Operator for my general gameplay.

Just now, Corvid said:

t's called the Drifter's Camp because the Drifter is the one who set it up

i meant it was the lore choice because that' the only place to access Karl the Grineer

(intentionally spelled him that xD)

14小时前 , ant99999 说:

I don't think it is possible from story perspective, but I do agree, Operator desperately needs some content for them.

Drifter appeared out of nowhere and gets more and more suff pumped into them, while Operator is kinda just there, existing and that's it.

Tenno......Operators literally have the entire The Second Dream, The War Within, The Sacrifice and half of The New War for them already. 

1 minute ago, RichardKam said:

Tenno......Operators literally have the entire The Second Dream, The War Within, The Sacrifice and half of The New War for them already. 

Yea, my bad, I wasn't talking about quests, should've been more specific.

The quests are fine, I meant that Operators don't have as much content tailor-made for them. Like, even now after just a little bit more than a year of being a thing Drifters already got their exclusive branch of facial cosmetics, an ability to equip attachments and syandanas, their own exclusive suits, and are about to receive all the operator suits retrofitted for them, facial hair system and their very own melee system. That's not to mention the update will be focused on Drifter exclusive gameplay, with them already being a complete alternative to Operator.

In other words with the update release the Drifters will practically be exactly like Operators, but with more customisation options, their own additional weapon type and a whole content environment dedicated to them.

I am not hating Drifters, but considering I highly prefer my Operator, I am a little bit envious.

1 minute ago, _Anise_ said:

everything that you said added to the drifter camp being the expected default further makes me feel they are all but dropping the operator

As much as I don't want to go into such speculations, I more and more often return to the thought that the initial plan for the New War was to kill the Operator for good and just replace them with Drifter, with the whole Zariman sequence and the ability to switch back to a parallel universe version of your now dead Tenno being an afterthought.

Who knows...

16 hours ago, equidingo said:

I spent a lot of time to make my operator looks that I enjoy. Face, accessories, costume, coloring

Could you share what accessories look nice? I find literally every accessory ugly or it makes my operator look pregnant. I disclose I never spend plat on "packages" in market. Just in game items from Little Duck, etc. Don't mean to hijack the thread just curious. 

BTW, i look forward to any updates. 

4 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Story wise, I wish the drifter was just the operator from the future, and we operated in some sort of time loop. I don't like the idea of the drifter and operator being practically two different people with different experiences. 

I think time loops are better than multiverse style stories. At least with timeloops, you have to maintain some kind of consistency.

They could have made it work with a different method as well. What if instead of having one replace the other, they are "fused" when drifter gets the operator's powers becoming one operator/drifter with the memories of both, which wouldn't be weird because both have the same personality to begin with.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Player244024418 said:

Could you share what accessories look nice? I find literally every accessory ugly or it makes my operator look pregnant. I disclose I never spend plat on "packages" in market. Just in game items from Little Duck, etc. Don't mean to hijack the thread just curious. 

Here's a couple options I can recommend.

My go-to fashion for Operator uses a lot of cosmetics obtainable in-game without platinum, It has Nightwave for body, Outrider for arms and Haztech for legs, and gives a nice sci-fi kind of look.

Spoiler

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

If you don't have Nightwave suit I can recommend either Smelter body for more bulky look,

Spoiler

or Haztech for a lighter variant.

Spoiler

As for facial accessories, here I do use a tennogen Praesidium mask, and I can't really recomend any non-platinum alternative.

In general I'd say Nightwave ear accessory looks pretty nice

Spoiler

but not using any accessory is a perfectly valid option as well.

The idea that DE is trying to phase out the Operator makes no sense and kind of feels like a conspiracy theory.

DE loves duality. The Tenno are a duality (body/spirit), the Corpus and the Grineer, The Orokin/Sentients - actually, the Sentients and the Tenno also serve due to both being colonisers of Tau. Then there's the material world and the Void. Hell, the name 'Duviri' is a play on 'Duumviri' which means 'Two men'.

They're putting focus on the Drifter because the Drifter, as a duality to the Operator, needs to be a partner. The Operator has had narrative focus for years and is the focus of the original story, so if the Drifter is meant to be an equal, they need to catch up.

18 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

They're putting focus on the Drifter because the Drifter, as a duality to the Operator, needs to be a partner. The Operator has had narrative focus for years and is the focus of the original story, so if the Drifter is meant to be an equal, they need to catch up.

makes sense ! I totally get it, it's like when you say "we aren't retreating, we are advancing in the opposite direction" right ?

edit:satire if it wasn't clear, it's not just narrative focus the drifters is getting a lot of attention in cosmetics, the drifter camp is Karls home base, it sends the feels that these are the default choices every time I have to switch from my orbiter to the drifter camp just to talk to a story based NPC then switch back again after to keep my choice.

Yeah, look...

We all know the real reason.

It's the animation skeleton.

The Drifter simply is not rigged or proportioned to do any of the things that they will rely on the Drifter to do. Melee combat, gun combat, everything.

DE have managed to cut about half the Dev time out of Duviri by not having to rig and animate the Operator's model to do those things.

As an additional point, we (as the Operator) meet the Drifter for the first time in The New War. For the Drifter, Duviri is before The New War's events. Why would there be an Operator in Duviri before the Drifter escapes from there and meets the Operator? That makes no practical sense.

Actual reason and practicality aside? I'm sitting back and eating popcorn with these threads.

You guys are hilarious.

We've got years and years of content for the Operator, and a new character that is also our Operator appears, and DE give them a few cool cosmetics that actually are rigged for the basic animation skeleton that is used on both them and the Warframes, then gives them one single quest as a large update to actually explain their story and how they got to where they were, and people are freaking out that there's 'too much Drifter content'.

This is like all the people freaking out about non-Warframe gameplay being a thing in this game, when it's been a thing for the last seven years that DE have been expanding on and improving.

We saw it for Operators, we saw it for Archwings, we saw it for K-Drives, we saw it for Necramechs, and now we're seeing it for Drifters. You guys are going to look just as silly in a few years as the people protesting Operators did back then.

11 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

You guys are going to look just as silly in a few years as the people protesting Operators did back then.

except operator does not replace warframe, but drifter replaces operator ? no ?

Archived