Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Quitting New war quest (and other probably)

quxier

On 2024-01-02 at 2:28 PM, (PSN)Unstar said:

Will always upvote this incredibly reasonable request.  There shouldn't be any content in the game that locks players out of doing normal content until it is overcome.

Especially when the gameplay in The New War is so incredibly different from the rest of Warframe, which is something that players won't have a chance to practice or even know about until they have already stepped past the point of no return.

If players realize they're in over their head, give them the choice to abandon the quest.  Then they can come back when they feel ready to try again, without being locked out of the rest of the game until that time comes.

This was probably the only feedback I left in the New War forums. 

People who have started the New War are, by definition, invested players. To tell them that they have to basically abandon a game they've played for at least hundreds of hours if they cannot clear certain hurdles those hundreds of hours of PvE never asked before is ridiculous. Yes this does factor into how I think Warframe PvE does a very bad job at teaching people how to play Warfame but that's another rant. 

Letting people abandon the quest would only strengthen New War's story, a huge of part of which is bringing eternalism from background to the fore as one of the foundational forces in Warframe's universe. Of course some tennos abandoned or fell out of certain timelines, it'd only make sense. 

And if by some miracle of spaghetti coding adding quit quest feature is truly impossible, I've suggested that each encounter could come with something like golden leaf in Mario games or assist mode in Celeste after a certain number of failures/restarts. A subtle health and/or damage reduction bonus during Archon fights, one or more of the wandering Deacons getting stuck in place in stealth sections (think of like, getting the poisoned cake asset in Big Bank heist from Payday 2), MOAs checking out the correct locations after several of them die in Veso section, etc. All of these would be optional, of course. 

Again the most reasonable option would be to let the player quit when they want to. That should have been the default really, I was honestly confused when I was told people couldn't abandon the quest. Quests like these shouldn't feel like a punishment. 

Edited by traybong111
spelling
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, traybong111 said:

Again the most reasonable option would be to let the player quit when they want to. That should have been the default really, I was honestly confused when I was told people couldn't abandon the quest. Quests like these shouldn't feel like a punishment. 

This says it all really..... Games for the most part, are played for enjoyment.... and companies want people playing their games, not being forced to abandon the game (for years or indefinitely) because they can't get past a section they are locked into - in what is ultimately a sidequest for the main game (in that, the quests are only part of the game, there's still a ton of other stuff you can do without having done TNW)....

I doubt very many people who get stuck in there are going to go through the effort (and in some cases, expense) of creating a new account so that they can continue to play as they were before.

I can only assume that overall the number of people dropping out of the game at that point is low enough not to have enough of an effect for them to care about.

But the other thing is that there are players who are too scared to even start TNW, because they have heard it's potentially challenging, that it's content they probably won't enjoy, it can take anywhere up to 6+ hours to complete, they are locked in until it's done, and will effectively lose their account if it is too much for them to handle and they can't finish the quest.   It's no wonder people are hesitant.

Given that more and more of the content is set after (and thus requires) TNW completion, they really need to address the issues of that quest so that it's not such a barrier for players.

Yes they reduced some of the grind to get players to there (I agree the necramech should be a loaner - and I think they should temporarily pimp your railjack too if yours is too squishy)... but the quest itself still has the issues of being long, completely different gameplay and being locked in.  The fact that they even contemplated the idea of allowing skipping it altogether shows it's an issue.

• Like 4

Being adamant about a bad decision does not make a bad decision a good decision.

From what I have read so far here and in other places seems The New War is a combination of arrogant developers and want to be movie make makers.

If Warframe was fighting for customers something would have been done to change this.

I saw something about players that already played The New War being upset if other players did not have to.

Why would they care unless its a matter of if I had to be miserable you do too.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Drolfle said:

I saw something about players that already played The New War being upset if other players did not have to.

There were a lot of different opinions on the idea of quest skipping.... Lots of reasons why people were for or against it.

My personal opinion was that it would be a shame for people to miss out on the story lore that drives these updates (So I wouldn't want the story skip to be encouraged by being free)... and I would be annoyed if players could skip TNW and still get a free naturuk.... which is why I wasn't against the idea of paying plat to skip, if you're effectively then paying for the weapon like you have to pay for other weapons you don't grind for or craft.  Or having the skipped version not award a nataruk.

I have seen the argument for other things, like when they reduce the crafting costs for things like railjack.... that "because I suffered, others must suffer" (Which is also why Hema costs won't be reduced) and I don't agree with that.  Things in games get tweaked...  look at things like the pity system for archon shards.   (I seem to recall Gyre parts were tweaked to drop better after Zariman? I'm sure there's others) - and anyone doing the content early has to go in with the assumption that later down the road things may end up being easier to obtain than when they did it. 

When the community complains that things need adjusting, and they then get easier for those who follow - that's a good thing!! it's helping to make things less painful for others, which only a selfish person would disagree with.

Probably would have been fine if The New War was separated and players could do a section and go back to regular game play. As far as story goes, To me this games story is all over the place to begin with to the point that I am not interested in the story anymore. I also dislike stealth game play and am not playing Warframe for stealth game play.

I enjoyed all the previous quests, enjoyed getting a railjack and necramech. Think the developers have made a lot of very good decisions with this game. Not breaking up The New War and completely changing what customers have been enjoying and playing Warframe for and then locking everyone into a long unrelated quest after customers spending time and money to level and acquire gear was a bad decision, adamantly sticking to the decision and not being willing to change the quest was a bad decision.

Also locking players out of the rest of the content with The New War as a gate, not good.

Edited by Drolfle
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

Well, this topic went well..

Honestly, it actually did

Sure the opinions are split 50/50, but it hasn’t devolved to a brainless Tenno just randomly bullying and contradicting everything (including themselves)

I see this as an absolute win 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aruquae said:

Honestly, it actually did

Sure the opinions are split 50/50, but it hasn’t devolved to a brainless Tenno just randomly bullying and contradicting everything (including themselves)

I see this as an absolute win 

Fair enough

12 hours ago, Drolfle said:

Also locking players out of the rest of the content with The New War as a gate, not good.

Most likely its because of how things are building up on the quest, like Update 31.5 Angels of the Zariman.

Or the latest Update with the Man in the Wall, also part of The New War

12 hours ago, Drolfle said:

Probably would have been fine if The New War was separated and players could do a section and go back to regular game play. As far as story goes, To me this games story is all over the place to begin with to the point that I am not interested in the story anymore. I also dislike stealth game play and am not playing Warframe for stealth game play.

That would kind of break the Immersion of a War going on

Edited by xMarvin732

3 hours ago, xMarvin732 said:

The whole war thing was over so quick I didn't even notice. Not to mention how much it grates that previous wars were live universe style and applied across the whole community via shared events and synchronised updates to the world state, and this was an hour or so to flip my own starchart instance in a solo quest. I had a whole "that was the war? that was it?" feeling going on when I finished.

Not saying other aspects of the quest weren't immersive, but the "war" was a flop.

And if immersion is so important, maybe they should fix Alad's and other continuity issues, introduce the bosses on each planet, etc. (and where was "immersion" when it came to the idea of quest skip?)

Edited by schilds
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, xMarvin732 said:

I don't think that's super important, though some will disagree.  But intermissions don't necessarily shatter a sense of narrative flow, at least for me.  Otherwise I wouldn't enjoy reading any fiction longer than a short story, or watching a series longer than an hour.  I think the mind is pretty flexible in this respect.

Also the ideal intermission structure would be voluntary.  Not "Ok, you have to take a break for 24 hours and play at least 6 normal missions outside the quest before returning." :P

• Like 3

Warframe has never bothered to maintain the coherence or integrity of its universe over time and to a sufficient extent that "immersion" isn't *already* fragmented.

"Immersion" is only brought up at times like this. Where are the reams and reams of threads on it?

*crickets*

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

Also the ideal intermission structure would be voluntary.  Not "Ok, you have to take a break for 24 hours and play at least 6 normal missions outside the quest before returning." :P

*shudders in Railjack building quest before it was reworked into massively reducing the crafting duration*

50 minutes ago, schilds said:

The whole war thing was over so quick I didn't even notice. Not to mention how much it grates that previous wars were live universe style and applied across the whole community via shared events and synchronised updates to the world state, and this was an hour or so to flip my own starchart instance in a solo quest. I had a whole "that was the war? that was it?" feeling going on when I finished.

I agree lol, i felt like Operation Scarlet Spear was a bigger event than the quest

Edited by xMarvin732

I am so sick of running around that f****** tree with that slow, fugly operator, trying to kill the Archon Boreal. I would rage quit but I have too many hours in this game. I may take a long hiatus, come back, play for an hour, then quit again.  :)  We should not have been locked into this quest.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MarinusCat said:

I am so sick of running around that f****** tree with that slow, fugly operator, trying to kill the Archon Boreal. I would rage quit but I have too many hours in this game. I may take a long hiatus, come back, play for an hour, then quit again.  :)  We should not have been locked into this quest.

Sassy Drama Queen GIF

I had to try that fight a couple of times but it really wasn't all that bad. I feel for people who can't get past it.

On 2024-01-04 at 12:27 AM, IggySnow said:

what skill requirement is higher than the end game content? The only point in the entire quest iv seen anyone really struggle with is hiding from the guys who mask you. and even then the answer to that "skill check" is to stop trying to do the same exact thing over and over again.

Archon fights are an obvious one. I can even see people making the case for some skirmishes being harder, seeing as endgame balance is such a joke.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

I don't think that's super important, though some will disagree.  But intermissions don't necessarily shatter a sense of narrative flow, at least for me.  Otherwise I wouldn't enjoy reading any fiction longer than a short story, or watching a series longer than an hour.  I think the mind is pretty flexible in this respect.

Honestly, even if you did preserve immersion and quitting the quest meant that you would have to restart it next time you tried—what would functionally be loading an earlier save, in a single player game—I think that'd still be an improvement.

Sure, you'd still be locked out of post-new-war content like the Zariman until you finished it, but you'd at least be able to go play the pre-New-War stuff with other people. Improve your railjack if you were struggling there. Generally just, y'know, enjoy the portion of the game you had access to before clicking start on that quest.

• Like 6

Since coming back the game, the content seems harder, being a person with disability / limitations I find the game less and less fun. I really wish game developers would take that into account when creating content unless of course they don't care about that small section of the player base.

I don't see the reason to lock players out of the Pre New War content until they finish the New War quest. That being the case it looks like I have no other choice than to quit Warframe and find another game that is more accessible friendly to players that have disabilities / limitations.

I really need advice. While I find the drifter stealth tedious and annoying. Tbh 2nd half has been nothing but frustrating so far but the dang archons(mainly 2nd half of fight) have been nothing but freaking suffering. They keep becoming invulnerable and healing CONSTANTLY. No matter how much damage I do they just revert back to half health and spamming attacks.

Getting to the point I just wanna give up and quit the damn quest or the game in general. 

• Like 4

They can actually be knocked out of their respective healing moves.

Boreal's shield can be entered via a smoke bomb. Once inside, a single shot will end the heal prematurely.

Amar's heal can be countered by locating and attacking the real Archon. To do this, you can either use Target Radar or look to see which one is holding the daggers (the clones both won't show up on the minimap and lack said daggers).

Nira won't turn to face you while she's spinning her whip, so you can get behind her and hit her in the back to end the heal. This will also prevent the shockwave.

Edited by Corvid
  • Like 14

also it is very helpful just overall in the game to learn to "slide jump", or however you'd like to call it.
this being to Jump and Slide at almost the same time, allowing you to move at Slide speed while Jumping, which lets you overall move significantly more quickly, and allows you to move quickly and shoot at the same time.
you can perform this by Jumping, and hitting Crouch almost immediately after starting your Jump. i don't remember if you have to be Sprinting for this to work, but i'm generally just always holding Sprint anyways, out of habit.

5 minutes ago, taiiat said:

also it is very helpful just overall in the game to learn to "slide jump", or however you'd like to call it.
this being to Jump and Slide at almost the same time, allowing you to move at Slide speed while Jumping, which lets you overall move significantly more quickly, and allows you to move quickly and shoot at the same time.
you can perform this by Jumping, and hitting Crouch almost immediately after starting your Jump. i don't remember if you have to be Sprinting for this to work, but i'm generally just always holding Sprint anyways, out of habit.

Can't do bullet jump as Drifter. TC just need to aim better and dodge more. Not to mention use the terrian to hide from attacks.

On 2024-01-02 at 1:13 PM, bitbucket said:

It has been YEARS, give us an option to quit the New War...

Fortunately, DE seems to have enough self respect to NOT do that. 

1 hour ago, Zoron246 said:

They keep becoming invulnerable and healing CONSTANTLY. No matter how much damage I do they just revert back to half health and spamming attacks.

Getting to the point I just wanna give up and quit the damn quest or the game in general. 

I promise you, if I can beat the archons, and I did, you absolutely can, it's simply a case of laying off your own healing until you actually need it, and picking the right moments to attack. remember to use the Nataruk charge shots, that's where all your damage comes from. 

also, you can't quit the quest, you're locked in until you complete it. it tells you this before you begin and asks you to confirm it before the quest opening.