Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anyone else concerned about the new grimoire weapon's visuals?

Hexerin

Like not it's model (which is badass, even while just sitting on that pedestal), nor its particles (which give that oomph of void power very well). What I'm concerned about is the firing animation, which in the gameplay preview showed Excalibur physically pulling energy off the pages to yeet at his targets. I'm concerned because there are a number of various sources of massive fire rate boosts you can get in this game (whether intentional or forced upon you), and that animation... I just don't see how it won't look horrid at higher fire rates.

Have you seen what your weapons start to do if you accidentally step into Wisp's stupid green mote? The animations break so much it can cause insomnia or other sleep disorders.

Nobody seems to be bothered with that. I doubt many people will be bothered with the book as well (if it turns out to be a good weapon to begin with).

• Like 2

Huh. Though not surprising; plenty of things break at too-high or even too-low an attack speed. I think most people expect that across any game since the animations are timed to a certain speed as the default

Just glad that high firerate isn’t required or anything, which means if I’m going to increase its firerate, I‘ll know what I’m in for and choose to do so

edit: 🤔 Thinking about it, if it’s particularly bad I may be periodically inclined to start with firerate mods when building just because of how ridiculous it may look. Will need to see

double edit: Argh, all this talk has got me hyped! I haven’t even seen the video but I want it already

Edited by (NSW)Greybones
  • Like 1

yeah, one of the reasons I tend not to run thrown secondaries anymore is because it can look jank AF with fire rate buffs, and Wisps are in just about every setup there is these days. I still have a meme build on Hikou Prime with Fire Rate and Concealed Explosives, but since the removal of Self-Damage, it just doesn't hit the same anymore.

that said, if you're using Magic, you can get away with it more IMO, it's a lot easier to just suspend disbelief and say "yeah the Grimoire's magic also gives me super-speed", whereas I can't really do that when it's obviously solid, non-magical knives/bombs that I'm throwing.. but that's just me.

It would be interesting if instead you pulled multiple spells out of the book at once as a reload animation, and fired them off individually.
That still has potential for speed up issues but then at least they're not rapid fire spamming the animation.

Edited by PollexMessier

Unless you're using macro, it'll be fine. There's a limit how fast you click/push the attack button. The worst thing that can happened, the animation stuck at the beginning or ending of the attack/shot. But as long as it count as hitting the enemy, it'll be fine.

Edited by BroDutt

27 minutes ago, BroDutt said:

Unless you're using macro, it'll be fine. There's a limit how fast you click/push the attack button.

You do realize you can hold the attack button down for automatic fire with everything except melee (which will be changing to also be automatic), right?

7 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

You do realize you can hold the attack button down for automatic fire with everything except melee

What make you think Grimoire has Auto fire instead of Semi? From Tennocon you can see a delay while firing it.

4 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

This would be news to me as a semi-auto user

It's only works for auto fire. It didn't work for semi unless you use Macro

Edited by BroDutt
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BroDutt said:

It's only works for auto fire. It didn't work for semi unless you use Macro

That’s what I was under the impression of. When I read that you could full-auto a semi-auto, I was thinking “Huh. They’ve done it in a way that I’ve never questioned it; pretty clever”.

I’m guessing the melee change will be some kind of toggle in the options menu as well instead of by default

edit: 🤔 Though I think some weapons like the Latron can be held down…?

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

21 minutes ago, (NSW)Free_Aetharus said:

But is the weapon able to be modded with what we've had? Or will it have its own mods?

32 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

It would have to be pretty dummy thicc on the stats to make semi worth it tbh.

I'm afraid it'll just a variation of throwing secondary weapon with special secondary attack. But inherit evolution like Zariman incarnon could be great tho.

Edited by BroDutt

4 hours ago, CoffeeElemental said:

Have you seen what your weapons start to do if you accidentally step into Wisp's stupid green mote? The animations break so much it can cause insomnia or other sleep disorders.

Nobody seems to be bothered with that. I doubt many people will be bothered with the book as well (if it turns out to be a good weapon to begin with).

Honestly, I just find it amusing more than anything else.  Even on my Titania in a group with a Wisp and a max strength Volt, I might be annoyed for maybe a second before laughing as I hit the wall every second.

Looking at the grimoire animation though, it does seem slow enough that I'm not too worried unless I decided to floor it on fire rate (which I might because I'm a dork like that).

On 2023-09-04 at 2:54 PM, Hexerin said:

I'm concerned because there are a number of various sources of massive fire rate boosts you can get in this game (whether intentional or forced upon you), and that animation... I just don't see how it won't look horrid at higher fire rates.

You don't have to guess what it will look like at higher fire rates: just pull up the YouTube video and increase the playback speed.

• Like 1

On 2023-09-04 at 9:05 PM, 0_The_F00l said:

Only thing I am curious about is it's ammo , 

How do you reload a book ? Will it have something akin to the other necralisk weapons which have a soul siphon mechanic ?

How do you reload an arm-cannon, like Shedu?

How do you reload a self-charging gun that has no reload button, reload animation, or reload time?

How do you reload an archgun in an archwing mission?

What's great about magic is that you're not reloading, it's simply replenishing its charge or its mana,
So, that's the neat part. You don't.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, (NSW)Free_Aetharus said:

What's great about magic is that you're not reloading, it's simply replenishing its charge or its mana,

I think that’s the best way to handle it - x number of shots, book closes to “recharge” when depleted, and then opens again when ready.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, (NSW)Free_Aetharus said:

How do you reload an arm-cannon, like Shedu?

Bio electricity and momentum ? sugar intake? blood perhaps?

38 minutes ago, (NSW)Free_Aetharus said:

How do you reload a self-charging gun that has no reload button, reload animation, or reload time?

usually one bullet a time with a heavy "clinking sound" when its out of ammo and you still try to shoot.

38 minutes ago, (NSW)Free_Aetharus said:

How do you reload an archgun in an archwing mission?

Solar power and advanced ammo mutation i would assume.

40 minutes ago, (NSW)Free_Aetharus said:

And we have energy for various abilities which we still need to replenish by different means,

So will we have a steady number like we do for most other guns? or will it consume energy with every reload instead? what about requiring kills to energize the "heavy" alternate attack, will there be an incarnon-esque bar? or will it be more like the trumna ?

I have no doubt it will happen in one way or another , i am just curious how it will be implemented in the game.

• Like 1

Just now, 0_The_F00l said:

Bio electricity and momentum ? sugar intake? blood perhaps?

usually one bullet a time with a heavy "clinking sound" when its out of ammo and you still try to shoot.

Solar power and advanced ammo mutation i would assume.

And we have energy for various abilities which we still need to replenish by different means,

So will we have a steady number like we do for most other guns? or will it consume energy with every reload instead? what about requiring kills to energize the "heavy" alternate attack, will there be an incarnon-esque bar? or will it be more like the trumna ?

I have no doubt it will happen in one way or another , i am just curious how it will be implemented in the game.

You know what's up.

But the teaser already showed how it mechanically works. The ammo is mechanically the same as armcannons, this includes Bubonico, which, like Shedu[but with more ammo and it so much more fun], or even Fulmin, runs off a kind of self-restoring battery or some excuse like that. Fulmin is more implied to be magically-imbued closer to DMC's guns, but the principle applies all the same.

The grimoire could've eaten away at your health with its alt, but that was too much to ask, so it doesn't exist. Life > Power, the real S#&$.

On 2023-09-05 at 5:05 AM, 0_The_F00l said:

How do you reload a book ?

The first thing that occurred to me when seeing it in action was that this must be a battery weapon, just like any weapons that don't have reload animations

Edited by -Krism-

On 2023-09-04 at 8:05 PM, 0_The_F00l said:

Only thing I am curious about is it's ammo , 

How do you reload a book ? Will it have something akin to the other necralisk weapons which have a soul siphon mechanic ?

I would love it if the book got reloaded by tearing a page out because all the magic on that page had been used up.  No need to have it ever run out of pages, of course.

• Like 1