Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I'm tired of reduced enemy spawn when host isn't a pc player

Waeleto

I am absolutely tired and sick of having a SP mission with little to no enemy just because the game placed me in a part where the host is on console, i can't turn off crossplay because then i'm placed in a server separated from everyone else and when i turn it on i'm met with THIS
There has to be a way around this ...

• Like 14

IIRC this isn't a non-PC specific issue but an older gen issue. Supposedly the reduced rates aren't a thing for the latest gen consoles.

Though that doesn't make it any less annoying. Personally I'm wondering how long it'll be before support is dropped for older consoles entirely. But in the meantime the only real solutions are playing solo, pre-made lobbies, or setting your ping limit to the minimum to hopefully get yourself as the host more often.

• Like 2

I feel you there. I'm a bit concerned that we are going to have some kind of content going forward where the advantage is very noticeable (like the upcoming Operation) or something.

Just now, Waeleto said:

Praying for this day to come so fast 

I doubt they will drop support for Nintendo Switch to be honest.

• Like 3

Like, it's understandable (to an extent) why it is the way it is. However, it's dumb as hell that there's no toggles for us in the settings to make this not an issue:

• Host Only
    • When selecting a mission, skips matchmaking and starts mission with you as host.
    • Randoms can be added to your squad as clients, as normal.
  • Only Join PC
    • The matchmaker will only ever place you into missions hosted by a PC player.
    • If you have a partial squad, they of course follow you into that mission as normal.
    • You are still able to host your own missions of course, if the matchmaker can't find a suitable squad.

The only toggle we have is the toggle to disable crossplay entirely. Which, as mentioned in the OP, literally puts you in a separate matchmaking system entirely. You can only match with other people who have crossplay disabled as well, you'll never match with other PC players who have crossplay enabled. For obvious reasons, this massively reduces your matchmaking pool, because very few people disable crossplay. This setting is terrible, and we absolutely need more control as mentioned above.

Edited by Hexerin
  • Like 7

45 minutes ago, Waeleto said:

I am absolutely tired and sick of having a SP mission with little to no enemy just because the game placed me in a part where the host is on console, i can't turn off crossplay because then i'm placed in a server separated from everyone else and when i turn it on i'm met with THIS

Lower your ping requirement to the absolute minimum. At that point if you don't host you're dealing with someone who has a better connection.

Edited by Jarriaga

1 minute ago, Jarriaga said:

Lower your ping requirement to the absolute minimum. At that point if you don't host you're dealing with someone who has a better connection.

This is good advice, but it’s not necessarily the connection that’s causing the problem. It’s the host’s machine itself. 

I have the tightest ping requirements and can still end up with hosts who I can only assume are on Switch from time to time. 

I am also not convinced that ping limiters are respected when crossplay is taken into account. 

I'm genuinely curious: has hard data been collected to verify that consoles are the cause?  Or alternatively, has DE acknowledged the issue?  I ask because it seems very odd that they would introduce cross-play and push for parity on all platforms and yet leave this kind of disparity in place.

To be clear, I'm not saying this isn't a real issue, but at first glance it has rumor vibes, like how blowing in an NES cartridge makes it more likely to work (which was common knowledge, except that it wasn't true).  The first step should be confirming that this isn't hearsay.

1 hour ago, Hexerin said:

Host Only

• When selecting a mission, skips matchmaking and starts mission with you as host.
  • Randoms can be added to your squad as clients, as normal.

I've been wanting to suggest this for ages, but the only thing that's ever stopped my hand is: Everyone is going to want to host if given the opportunity, thus nobody is going to be joining anybody, inadvertently putting yourself in solo.

We're all aware of how shoddy host migration can be, where it's a flip of a coin whether you'll be put into another mission with you or someone else as the host, or you get booted back to orbiter with nothing to show for it. Not to mention subjecting yourself to connecting to a host who had a low ping, but it turns out their internet spiked low enough for you to join before becoming outrageously high. Everyone's gonna host to avoid the headache of being a client, which is probably why DE never allowed it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

I'm genuinely curious: has hard data been collected to verify that consoles are the cause?  Or alternatively, has DE acknowledged the issue?  I ask because it seems very odd that they would introduce cross-play and push for parity on all platforms and yet leave this kind of disparity in place.

To be clear, I'm not saying this isn't a real issue, but at first glance it has rumor vibes, like how blowing in an NES cartridge makes it more likely to work (which was common knowledge, except that it wasn't true).  The first step should be confirming that this isn't hearsay.

It's probably more noticeable on PC.  It was like night and day when Lua's Prey dropped.  Get a PC host on Steel Path conjunction survival, and there was always something to do, always something to kill.  Get saddled up with a crossplay host and it was a ghost town by comparison.

But no, I don't know that any hard data has been collected.  DE might not even be able to acknowledge that this is an issue, as it might make consoles look bad.  I mean, they couldn't even show competitor logos, which is why we have these swirly loop things instead.

44 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

I have anecdotal evidence based on my own experiences as well, but I don't think there's been data collected on this solely because it's obfuscated. Only DE knows truly what system is being used (it just shows "other platform" icons on PC) and likely does not track session spawns in this way (since other than this one issue, it's pointless to do so). I've not seen any official announcement about this, but it's also not a console exclusive issue. It happens on PC with potato PC users hosting too, it's just more noticeable on things like Switch because it has fixed hardware whereas PCs are so varied.

I'm not sure if it's some CPU bottleneck (since realistically rendering is local and it can either reduce frame rate or resolution on the system) that cannot reasonably handle the AI and player registration of too many enemies or if it's intentionally fixed on consoles to avoid these issues or what, but I'd like to see DE make some efforts to streamlining this experience so it's consistent across all platforms. If that means limiting spawns on PC then it sucks sure, but it honestly all needs to be the same Warframe experience regardless of platform.

3 hours ago, Waeleto said:

there is: DE has to drop support for potato pcs, and last gen consoles, as well as axing the Switch and any hopes of warframe: Mobile: if only mid/high quality PCs and current gen consoles run the game, we could probably have a lot more going on at once, including more enemy spawns; obviously DE won't do this, so consoles are stuck with having less spawns.

I'm with you though, I'd LOVE more spawns, kinda hoped PS5s Warframe would have them, but it sure doesn't feel like it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, (XBOX)Player244024418 said:

I don't have reduced spawn rates and I'm on console. Xbox series X. CAT6 connected. In fact I notice sometimes when im not the host yes, and sometimes ill leave especially if the game starts glitching (happened twice this week). maybe it's wireless players and stuff?

Nothing at all to do with connection.  Played with what I imagine are residents on the moon, and still lots of enemy dudes.

Don't remember what Switch has, but last gen PS/XB CPUs are AMD Jaguars which were bottom tier long before they went in consoles.

XB1 was also using DDR3, One X had GDDR5 12GB but the same dogwater CPU just overclocked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Hellsteeth30 said:

Don't remember what Switch has

When I checked, worse than the Jaguars - it's using 4 64-bit Cortex-A57 cores @ 1.02GHz if what wikipedia says on the hardware specs analysis is correct, with one dedicated to the OS so it doesn't become unresponsive or stuttery (and I believe down-clocked to save power or for thermals I guess, since they can go a bit higher than that listed speed). Most games aren't quite as CPU intensive as Warframe with its AI routines, ability scripts, and lots of processing that has to happen in real-time for online play, but there's not really any easy solution to this other than requesting they optimize the routines better or implement some priority hosting system (ideally that is not user managed, because it will cause matchmaking issues if someone refuses to host or refuses to join others).

On 2023-11-01 at 3:19 PM, trst said:

IIRC this isn't a non-PC specific issue but an older gen issue. Supposedly the reduced rates aren't a thing for the latest gen consoles.

Though that doesn't make it any less annoying. Personally I'm wondering how long it'll be before support is dropped for older consoles entirely. But in the meantime the only real solutions are playing solo, pre-made lobbies, or setting your ping limit to the minimum to hopefully get yourself as the host more often.

I imagine once cross save is implemented they will drop support shortly after that. So that players have a way to transfer to a new platform if need be. 

1 hour ago, LeftTheMatrix said:

I imagine once cross save is implemented they will drop support shortly after that. So that players have a way to transfer to a new platform if need be. 

I'd suspect that DE would give at least a years warning to give users time to upgrade/switch platforms. Pretty sure they gave more than a year for PC when they announced the min spec was increased.

54 minutes ago, --Leyenda-yight6 said:

or when Warframe Mobile comes out, they might drop Switch support some time later.

Until there's a more powerful switch released, if ever, I'd expect DE to just disable crossplay on Switch before dropping their support entirely. Nobody from players to devs to investors would like the idea of cutting off an entire branch of the playerbase entirely.