Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

2023 year in review?

Just now, ShogunGunshow said:

Poor Caliban. 

lol.

i think outside of qorvex (which only existed for a small part of 2023) when you factor in prime and non-prime together caliban is the least used frame i nthe game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Cool, Banshee's tied for "least popular frame" with Nyx now!

(Criteria: frame has both a vanilla and prime that can still be acquired, both of which were available for the full calendar year or longer.)

Also of interest: Banshee is the oldest frame, along with Loki, whose abilities haven't been touched in a significant way since they released. The only significant changes specifically targeting her were a buff/fix very early on that allowed multiple sonar spots to be painted on an enemy, and years later, a nerf to Silence's duration for casting cycle reasons. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SDGDen said:

i think outside of qorvex (which only existed for a small part of 2023) when you factor in prime and non-prime together caliban is the least used frame i nthe game. 

What's awesome is that Cali just barely squeaked ahead of Qorvex, despite the latter not even existing until the last 2.5 weeks of 2023.

Despite everything stacked against Caliban in terms of acquisition, bugs, appearance, lack of customization, power, and reputation, that seems odd.  I wonder if there is some normalization being done to account for portion of the year available.  Although then other numbers make less sense.

• Like 1

Another oddity to me is I really expected some weapons that got Incarnon upgrades to make bigger jumps.  There were some huge jumps,  but I expected more and bigger.  Like for primaries, I thought Torid would be top 8 at least, and Burston and Latron would be top 15.

I bet the heat maps have changed a lot, but those pages aren't formatting correctly for me, so I haven't tried to dig into them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Another oddity to me is I really expected some weapons that got Incarnon upgrades to make bigger jumps.  There were some huge jumps,  but I expected more and bigger.  Like for primaries, I thought Torid would be top 8 at least, and Burston and Latron would be top 15.

I bet the heat maps have changed a lot, but those pages aren't formatting correctly for me, so I haven't tried to dig into them.

I found that interesting as well. Though when i think of Incarnons in particular, I am torn between knowing and recognising that many people find them very powerful, and that many many people, probably aren't really in a place or mood to do Steel Path Circuit and a lot of Duviri for the resources required to get those weapons. 

A lot of the higher/popular Incarnons are weapons that were decently popular usage wise already from what I remember. My heat map seems working okay at the moment, and like you might have guessed, a lot of weapons that weren't necessarily popular with higher levelled players in years past, suddenly were, from being Incarnon. Though I was too lazy to do too much cross referencing from all the past years. 

I understand they can't, but I wish we could get more stats. Would be interesting if we could just sort by Incarnon weapons only, or see the Helminth abilities. Wsa interesting to hear Eclipse is second most used. I would guess Nourish would be first and Roar or Gloom third, maybe. I myself don't really use Helminth Subsume, at all, but still find the stats interesting. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

lesgooooooo

2 hours ago, vomder said:

I see at least one melee weapon missing on the new stats.

Don't see the Skana Prime, but it'd probably be low in usage.

YARELI POSITION UNCHANGED YARELISISTERS WE STAY WINNING ‼️‼️🔥🗣️🗣️🔥🔥🔥🔥💯💯💯💯

Edited by Skoomaseller
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Though when i think of Incarnons in particular, I am torn between knowing and recognising that many people find them very powerful, and that many many people, probably aren't really in a place or mood to do Steel Path Circuit and a lot of Duviri for the resources required to get those weapons. 

True.  But when I play public it's not uncommon for me to see two Torid users, which seems roughly similar to the days when KZarr was everywhere.  Only reasons I guessed top 8 for  Torid rather than #1 were the Incarnon not getting introduced until Spring, and the fervent dislike many people had for Duviri mechanics and bugs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skoomaseller said:

lesgooooooo

Don't see the Skana Prime, but it'd probably be low in usage.

YARELI POSITION UNCHANGED YARELISISTERS WE STAY WINNING ‼️‼️🔥🗣️🗣️🔥🔥🔥🔥💯💯💯💯

It should still be on there, it was last year. And I used it all the time outside of leveling new weapons.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vomder said:

It should still be on there, it was last year. And I used it all the time outside of leveling new weapons.

Oh no I agree, I just think it'll be low usage overall if it were shown, since it's a Founder's exclusive.

Now that Inaros will hopefully have abilities it wouldn't hurt to take a look at Caliban next.

He was meh ever since his release, got completely overshadowed by new war and it doesn't help that crafting him can be a bit annoying.

Voruna was released in a good state and she still got some great QoL changes that made her much better meanwhile Caliban just collects dust in the corner for some reason.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

Now that Inaros will hopefully have abilities it wouldn't hurt to take a look at Caliban next.

He was meh ever since his release, got completely overshadowed by new war and it doesn't help that crafting him can be a bit annoying.

Voruna was released in a good state and she still got some great QoL changes that made her much better meanwhile Caliban just collects dust in the corner for some reason.

What shocks me most is the pure inconsistancy in quality between frame releases. I'm not sure how they can release a wide variety of quality frame then make an Imperial Stormtrooper scaled miss in the middle of it. Great frames on boths sides of Calibum for instance, then a massive dip with him, then we see something similar with Qorvex, great releases prior to him then a total dump, with no word even on planned improvements for him, or even fixes for some of his currently worthless skills.

Really wish he was rock solid instead of a fossilized turd.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

What shocks me most is the pure inconsistancy in quality between frame releases. I'm not sure how they can release a wide variety of quality frame then make an Imperial Stormtrooper scaled miss in the middle of it. Great frames on boths sides of Calibum for instance, then a massive dip with him, then we see something similar with Qorvex, great releases prior to him then a total dump, with no word even on planned improvements for him, or even fixes for some of his currently worthless skills.

Really wish he was rock solid instead of a fossilized turd.

Yeah.  Qorvex and Caliban are both capable of some powerful utility and effects, but both have serious clunk in their kits that DE doesn't seem intent on addressing.  It might be the combined curse of being released right before a vacation alongside an already stuffed update... which the frames aren't the focus of.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sunderthefirmament said:

Yeah.  Qorvex and Caliban are both capable of some powerful utility and effects, but both have serious clunk in their kits that DE doesn't seem intent on addressing.  It might be the combined curse of being released right before a vacation alongside an already stuffed update... which the frames aren't the focus of.

I was pretty worried this would happen with Qorvex, considering the parallels.  Released in mid-December with a major, integer update, and sort of half-baked on release.  (Also I was immediately and inordinately fond of both of them for aesthetic reasons, so I knew in my guts they were both doomed. :P )

But Qorvex looks much more popular, so I can imagine him getting some tweaks/bugfixes/customizations at a better rate.  Though it would be truly a remarkable achievement to have a worse rate than Cali.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

I wish we could get more stats.

I'm curious to know what impact Circuit has on the numbers but I would've been happy if they'd just kept the individual platform stats available. Now there's absolutely no way to tell how much the data is being skewed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiltskillet said:

I was pretty worried this would happen with Qorvex, considering the parallels.  Released in mid-December with a major, integer update, and sort of half-baked on release.  (Also I was immediately and inordinately fond of both of them for aesthetic reasons, so I knew in my guts they were both doomed. :P )

But Qorvex looks much more popular, so I can imagine him getting some tweaks/bugfixes/customizations at a better rate.  Though it would be truly a remarkable achievement to have a worse rate than Cali.

Qorvex was probably lucky in that he launched with a bunch of new mods and toys for players to try on him. I would have dismissed Whispers as Radiation: The Radiatening but when the new mods play very well into this new Warframe's strenghts? Turns out my first impression of Qorvex is a lot better than it would have been otherwise and I'm willing to experiment with him after getting the mastery. 

I've said before I'd give anything for Banshee to have a new 4- a Hydroid style "rework" of various buffs and ability cleanups accompanied with replacing that one AFK ability would be my dream come true. But it's Banshee so I can comfortably ignore the possibility of DE ever noticing her. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (XBOX)RaeOvSunshyn said:

I'm curious to know what impact Circuit has on the numbers but I would've been happy if they'd just kept the individual platform stats available. Now there's absolutely no way to tell how much the data is being skewed.

The json file still has the separate stats for each platform.

@PublikDomain and @60framespersecond haven't quite done their nice fancy analysis of the 2023 usage stats yet, so have a poor man's version for now. This is using the data for all platforms from https://www-static.warframe.com/repos/WarframeUsageData2023.json

I've divided Warframes into 3 categories, and listed the 3 most used. The first category is considering all frames to be separate, i.e. Volt Prime is considered to be distinct from Base Volt, and so on.
The second category is combining all variants of a frame, i.e Excalibur Prime, Excalibur Umbra, and Base Excalibur are all considered to be the same.
The third category is the same as the second but considering Excalibur Umbra to be separate from Excalibur Prime and Base Excalibur.

JueMLUT.png

Volt and Wukong remain favorites overall, with Revenant rising.Volt Prime, Wukong Prime, and Revenant Prime dominate after MR 13. Not surprising, given Volt's versatility in multiple activities, Wukong's ease of use, and Revenant's immortality.
The combined usage is a bit more interesting, as suddenly Wisp dominates the later mastery ranks. Volt, Wukong and Revernant still remain extremely popular.

On to weapons!

fV3M6JB.png

The usual suspects remain popular. Nataruk is a quest freebie that is very strong. Ignis Wraith is more accessible than ever. Felarx hasn't lost it's spot to gen 2 incarnons quite yet, though we see a bit of challenger in Torid. Tenet Arca Plasmor is personally a bit surprising to see so high up. The AoE nerfs have taken their toll it seems.

Kuva Nukor and Laetum stay winning in the secondary world. They form the big 3 of secondaries along with Epitaph.

The most popular melee is the one that really isn't a melee. Glaive Prime remains the melee of choice for MR 16 and above, likely due to its combination of convenience and power. Praedos in 2nd, likely for that nice bit of parkour and sprint speed while remaining a formidable weapon.

• Like 8

On 2024-01-27 at 1:54 PM, BansheeAndZephyrMarried said:

Qorvex was probably lucky in that he launched with a bunch of new mods and toys for players to try on him. I would have dismissed Whispers as Radiation: The Radiatening but when the new mods play very well into this new Warframe's strenghts? Turns out my first impression of Qorvex is a lot better than it would have been otherwise and I'm willing to experiment with him after getting the mastery. 

I've said before I'd give anything for Banshee to have a new 4- a Hydroid style "rework" of various buffs and ability cleanups accompanied with replacing that one AFK ability would be my dream come true. But it's Banshee so I can comfortably ignore the possibility of DE ever noticing her. 

I high-key wish DE would look at banshee for a bit of a rework. i see people talking about how good she is in forums but literally no one plays her, according to the stats for 2023. people rather play inaros even though his abilities aren't used. A wall of HP is valued higher than anything banshee offers in a party or solo it seems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unohound said:

I high-key wish DE would look at banshee for a bit of a rework. i see people talking about how good she is in forums but literally no one plays her, according to the stats for 2023. people rather play inaros even though his abilities aren't used. A wall of HP is valued higher than anything banshee offers in a party or solo it seems.

Banshee's been through many nerfs over the years but never received the most basic tweaks she really needed, like changing Sonic Boom to a one-handed action.

I'm going to put my Bitter Banshee Main hat on now, so please take everything I say below with a grain of salt. 

DE's had a bad pattern of memory-holing gears that were, in their days, too OP and forced their hands to nerf and introduce gamewide changes. It's no coincidence that Banshee, Trin and Loki are the most neglected out of the open beta launch roster with the latter two being even worse victims of neglect than my own main. Seriously, Loki and Trinity have received literally nothing but nerfs for several years every time DE's laid their eyes on them- I absolutely dread what halfassed "rework" DE will come up with when they're eventually forced to look at Loki again. 

tbf I fear the same with Banshee but to a lesser degree. It'd simply take way more effort for DE to fumble a potential Banshee rework than give her the bare minimum, because Banshee doesn't need much more than bare minimum. 

• Like 1