The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

why no unarmed strikes?

Venyxos

I feel like we should be able to unequip everything but exalted equipment (and void amp)...

...And then just run around punching and kicking everything in the face, or wherever, like you've only equipped unmodded/unstanced Fist weapons.

...DE could have things like flying kick jumping attacks or heavy attack body slams - whatever.

...Could also have a smol speed/parkour boost if no warframe equipment was selected (no primary/secondary/melee) and/or NW missions playing off such a feature - or mebbe slap fights in the Dojo Dueling Room 🤷‍♂️

PLUS! There's always the parazon - which not to get into a new subject - could always have some additional combat maneuvers sprinkled in.

...Like maybe the ability to equip it as a weapon through Gear Selection, like the Omni Tool or Arch-Gun, and then it works like a little shiv/whip/garrote and/or a grappling hook which pulls you to a spot, and goes right into wall cling if hitting a vertical surface 🤷‍♂️ or like, whatever (and just while I'm on parazons, I feel like 'Mercy Kills' should be called 'Executions', cos WOOOW are they brutal, lol, but whatever)

I love all the new content but frankly, I'd be thrilled to see existing features get puffed up a bit while the art department stays busy w/ tilesets/enemies/animations 🤷‍♂️ not that the major feature releases aren't amazing (imo), again, I just think existing features could use a bit more meat on their bones 

1 hour ago, Venyxos said:

I feel like we should be able to unequip everything but exalted equipment (and void amp)...

the in-universe reason why we can't fight unarmed is because most of our enemies wear armor or are protected by shields, and striking them would do more damage to us than them: Sparring Covers are there to protect the Tenno's hands and feet as well as amplify the power of their strikes.

1 hour ago, Venyxos said:

PLUS! There's always the parazon

some additional Parazon functions would be neat, but it's not meant to substitute a weapon entirely. as a grappling hook or for pulling enemies, I guess it would be nice, but it would still be a utility device more than a weapon (also reminds me that Ripline exists lol). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

the in-universe reason why we can't fight unarmed is because most of our enemies wear armor or are protected by shields, and striking them would do more damage to us than them

No such thing.   Warframes are strong enough to rip out Orb's vents barehanded, and there is an "escape from prison" (after zanuka catches you iirc ) where you whoop enemies completely unarmed, while searching for your gear.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kainosh said:

No such thing.   Warframes are strong enough to rip out Orb's vents barehanded, and there is an "escape from prison" (after zanuka catches you iirc ) where you whoop enemies completely unarmed, while searching for your gear.

the Kogake weapon description:

These coverings for the hands and feet allow devastating high flying hand-to-hand combat attacks without risking harm to the user.

being able to rip out Orb vents doesn't have anything to do with durability, it's a question of strength, which the Tenno have thanks to their warframes. Zanuka's mission is an exception admittedly, but the only one.

I'd be all for unarmed fighting, but DE doesn't want to do it, and clearly thinks Sparring weapons are cooler, so that's what we get.

• Like 1

The yearly "Hallowed Nightmares" event has a unique Unarmed weapon. It's actually the Kogake with an invisibility skin over it, and the mission itself is an actual nightmare had by your player character

In other words,

2 hours ago, Venyxos said:

...And then just run around punching and kicking everything in the face, or wherever, like you've only equipped unmodded/unstanced Fist weapons.

This is LITERALLY in your dreams!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Venyxos said:

Atlas says hi.  I'd add Baruuk, but his exalted does technically have a stance.  Plus we have sparring and punching weapons too.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing unarmed fisticuffs as a pvp mode.  Obviously I wouldn't play it because pvp, but it'd be entertaining at least.

• Like 1

On 2024-01-05 at 5:38 PM, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

the in-universe reason why we can't fight unarmed is because most of our enemies wear armor or are protected by shields, and striking them would do more damage to us than them: Sparring Covers are there to protect the Tenno's hands and feet as well as amplify the power of their strikes.

some additional Parazon functions would be neat, but it's not meant to substitute a weapon entirely. as a grappling hook or for pulling enemies, I guess it would be nice, but it would still be a utility device more than a weapon (also reminds me that Ripline exists lol). 

On 2024-01-05 at 5:48 PM, Kainosh said:

On 2024-01-05 at 5:57 PM, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

the Kogake weapon description:

These coverings for the hands and feet allow devastating high flying hand-to-hand combat attacks without risking harm to the user.

being able to rip out Orb vents doesn't have anything to do with durability, it's a question of strength, which the Tenno have thanks to their warframes. Zanuka's mission is an exception admittedly, but the only one.

I'd be all for unarmed fighting, but DE doesn't want to do it, and clearly thinks Sparring weapons are cooler, so that's what we get.

At the end of the day, none of the examples really rule out the other entirely - like, sure Kogane may protect their wearers from harm, but that doesn't mean Warframes need them to do serious damage w/ their bare hands and feet, yknow? Now, that said - this could also be implied by things like seriously reduced damage being entirely unarmed vs having fist/sparring weapons...

Or you could do something like, if you're gonna give a speed bonus, make it so striking unarmed causes a slash proc on you as an offset...

Personally, I think that's entirely unnecessary, with or without a smol speed/parkour boost, yknow? Especially w/ shields and what not... Just seems like we can shrug it off, like how we can't breathe in space or toxic environments, but have no orifices to breathe with in the first place, lol. Especially given a Warframe's athletic ability? If they needed oxygen or any Earth gases, they would need HAYUUUGE breaths - if they were super efficient w/ smol breaths, or breathing thru their skin, then they would be able to "hold their breath" a very long time... Like, we could go back and forth, but by the void, it just doesn't matter at the end of the day! y'know?

Honestly, I think it would be cool if they allowed stances, but that's about it - keep it simple and silly, imo... Don't sweat if it fits or whether there's even supposed to be an advantage 🤷🏽‍♂️

On 2024-01-05 at 5:47 PM, schilds said:

There's always Baruuk!

On 2024-01-05 at 8:46 PM, Raarsi said:

Atlas says hi.  I'd add Baruuk, but his exalted does technically have a stance.  Plus we have sparring and punching weapons too.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing unarmed fisticuffs as a pvp mode.  Obviously I wouldn't play it because pvp, but it'd be entertaining at least.

zackly! so its sorta a thing already... So like, those warframes are ones who specialize in this sorta thing (think Excalibur and swords, right?)...

For everyone else, it would be more of a goofy/for-fun kind-of-thing and/or a sort of challenge... Like, if you just wanted to make it harder on yourself because you're into that kind of thing - Maybe you're doing it for a stream? Who knows - there's like, +70million accounts (tho, not all active); who knows how people would entertain themselves with something so simple, yknow?

On 2024-01-05 at 6:55 PM, TARINunit9 said:

The yearly "Hallowed Nightmares" event has a unique Unarmed weapon. It's actually the Kogake with an invisibility skin over it, and the mission itself is an actual nightmare had by your player character

In other words,

I really like this comment! 🤣

On 2024-01-05 at 3:18 PM, Venyxos said:

DE could have things like flying kick jumping attacks

Already a thing actually.

Just do a slide in mid air and you can kick enemies.  It knocks them down and does light damage as well.

like you've only equipped unmodded/unstanced Fist weapons.

And I just have to question:
What would really be the point?

I mean sure, if you're doing level 5 missions you could kill things...but beyond that what would be the point of a gimmick like this?

• Like 1

On 2024-01-06 at 12:55 AM, TARINunit9 said:

In other words,

this weapon exists in one other mission:

if you get captured by the zanuka hunter, you wake up in alad V's lab and have to go around to find and grab your weapons, then leave the lab. its a small mission but you start completely unarmed.

• Like 1

...DE could have things like flying kick jumping attacks or heavy attack body slams - whatever.

...Could also have a smol speed/parkour boost if no warframe equipment was selected (no primary/secondary/melee) and/or NW missions playing off such a feature - or mebbe slap fights in the Dojo Dueling Room 🤷‍♂️

PLUS! There's always the parazon - which not to get into a new subject - could always have some additional combat maneuvers sprinkled in.

...Like maybe the ability to equip it as a weapon through Gear Selection, like the Omni Tool or Arch-Gun, and then it works like a little shiv/whip/garrote and/or a grappling hook which pulls you to a spot, and goes right into wall cling if hitting a vertical surface 🤷‍♂️ or like, whatever (and just while I'm on parazons, I feel like 'Mercy Kills' should be called 'Executions', cos WOOOW are they brutal, lol, but whatever)

I love all the new content but frankly, I'd be thrilled to see existing features get puffed up a bit while the art department stays busy w/ tilesets/enemies/animations 🤷‍♂️ not that the major feature releases aren't amazing (imo), again, I just think existing features could use a bit more meat on their bones 

I have been playing Warframe since 2014 I have been advocating for unarmed weapons for the longest the fact we don't have karate, judo, inspired Warframe (Which I made a fan concept of lol) is beyond me with all the Japanese references in the game, I even made something similar to Tenno-kai before tenno-kai but with unarmed weapons. the simple, fact that the Tenno has hand-to-hand combat KATA; we have FREAKING KATA in the game. But no hand-to-hand combat system, MAKE it make sense, LMAO HAHA LOL. The Tenno Hand-to-Hand combat system is called NARTA, an offshoot of Kata it's in the Emote systems. If we don't have hand-to-hand capabilities, then why give the Tenno Kata systems with bare hands—it's weird. Why would I learn a fighting system I would never use LOL HAHAHA. but check out my old unarmed system It is outdated because I was basing it on the old focus system. Giving the Tenno a hand-to-hand combat kata is like learning to swim, and you live in the desert, you're NEVER GOING TO USE IT 😂😂😂😂

Edited by (PSN)MrDemigod81
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2024-01-05 at 5:38 PM, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

I wanted to acknowledge your comment on the Parazon but missed it before - I agree entirely... Utility/Finishers only... If it were a weapon substitute, it would have to work like an unmodded knife/shiv, imo

this stems from my personal belief that Gear could house more actual weapons... Like, I think grenades, bombs, limited use arsenal choices, etc should all be available to deploy no different than Arch-Guns and/or hunting/fishing tackle... So like, say you have a smoke bomb Gear item... Selecting the smoke bomb would throw it, of course, and then the effect takes effect... Maybe flash-bangs... Maybe mines... whatever - it's a resource sink.

On top of that, you could take things like the Throwing Knife secondary weapon and make them a Gear item, where you get a magazine/sleeve of that throwing item... 

ALSOOO!!! Make it so Gear automatically scales for the starting difficulty of the mission, so you don't need to worry about modding them for effectiveness, nor do you need to worry about Gear giving an unintended advantage with endless/scaling mission types

Having Gear/Utilities like this would effectively force an Ash rebuild tho, lol (but most other Warframes/Weapons would likely keep their appeal)

1 hour ago, Tsukinoki said:

Already a thing actually.

Just do a slide in mid air and you can kick enemies.  It knocks them down and does light damage as well.

And I just have to question:
What would really be the point?

I mean sure, if you're doing level 5 missions you could kill things...but beyond that what would be the point of a gimmick like this?

lol, yea I was thinkin there's already tackles and flying kicks - I just more meant other moves, so to speak, hahaha - like maybe a bicycle kick, for sake of example, lol

otherwise, it would just be a gimmick... I can't imagine it would take a lot of code on DE's end. Maybe for the challenge of it... A way to jazz up a stream, mebbe... Perhaps you and your friends are just screwing around and wanna punch each other in the face, fair-and-square, in the Dojo Dueling Rooms. They gave us books - why can't I use me mitts?? lol

ah man, they could have modules and call them "rings" [like how the Grimoire/Tome has Tome Mods which are basically pages for invocations and canticles] that you can equip 😅 they could have a legendary called, "I pity the fool" and it allows you to do mercy kills with your hands instead of parazon or somethin

thus, at this point - I would focus 'unarmed' combat (that is, NOTHING equipped to your warframe besides parazon and exalted) being silly... Like giving you the option to pull Kuva/Sister WWE combat animations mid-combat... Like it could be less about mission clearing and more about looking cool and/or hilarious

58 minutes ago, (PSN)MrDemigod81 said:

I have been playing Warframe since 2014 I have been advocating for unarmed weapons...

I feel you - like, there are totally fist/sparring weapons these days but reading your post made me think of "God of War" action-prompt sequences for things like Kata/Martial Arts...

Like, almost more of a Shawzin-style rock-paper-scissors type thing you don't exactly use in combat. This is kind of separate from being completely unarmed, but your comments on Narta made me think of it.

Edited by Venyxos
removed auto-edit

On 2024-01-05 at 1:18 PM, Venyxos said:

DE could have things like flying kick jumping attacks

This is already in the game, actually.  While you're in the air, press and hold the slide button.  If you connect with an enemy, they will be kicked.  There's even a mod that enhances the damage on this attack:

GaleKickMod.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

This is already in the game, actually.  While you're in the air, press and hold the slide button.  If you connect with an enemy, they will be kicked.  There's even a mod that enhances the damage on this attack:

GaleKickMod.png

ah man, I didn't even think of Warframe mods that would boost "MMA" moves, lmao - THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!

Also, that mod is absurd 🤣 imagine building some melee weap into a flat melee damage block and carried it in your pocket while Ninja Turtling through your missions 

Like, just find the biggest, slowest brick you can and start tossin damage mods on it before you go bowling 🤣 I bet you could easily do over 10k dmg