Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Yareli" Deluxe skin or did they mean Ivara?

LadyAnime

e42dbc69d681ff4b858644f311b1fc42.png

I'm a Yareli main. On her wiki she is listed as a magical girl, she saves orphans from bad situations, she is flowy and bouncy and fun and cute. This Deluxe skin was announced at TennoCon 2023. I get people make mistakes, literally wondering if they meant to say IVARA instead of YARELI because. One giant eye ball, One hat shaped like a samurai straw hat, and NOTHING that says flowy or bouncy or fun or cute. Literally have you ever seen Yarelis hair? IT has BOUNCE, she should be sponsored by hair product companies!!! This deluxe skin, has no hair that I can see. Has a giant eye ( like ivara ) has a helmet profile that resembles Ivara, and no elements of Yareli are to be found here =( I get it. We get some weird skins but for Yarelis ONLY alt skin this is SUPER disappointing. Not to mention the fact that ITS LITERALLY IVARA. =( 

The biggest complaint I've heard about Yareli is that she is hard to fashion ( beside the wave rider quest not liking to accept the inputs that are being put in and not counting for the tricks etc ) and this skin would give people something else to color but it's not right.... no flowy skirt. No bouncy hair, nothing says Yareli about this skin.... I love the concepts we get from DE and I love that they thought of Yareli but seriously? Is this actually for Ivara? Did someone say the wrong name on stage? cause ...yeah. not. yareli. =( I won't be investing in this skin. Which is sad because she really could use more skins ( if you google yareli deluxe skins you get at least 10 that are YARELI and GOOD..... ) disappointed but not expecting anything to change. :/ 

BTW they stated this was based on "jellyfish" here's something else to think about from the wiki: "Ivara Prime's design is inspired by jellyfish" 

• Like 10

I am pretty certain they said this was an Ivara skin unless I am mistaken, I even looked at and thought , na I like her base skin beter (thinking about Ivara)

edit:

yep it says in the bottom corner this is Yareli , I am blown away but how off theme it looks, they even called it "jellyfish" on steam I think that's what threw me, Ivara is the jellyfish!"

yeah I hate this for a Yereli look not "cute" at all unless it looks vastly different in game

Edited by _Anise_
  • Like 6

none of the skin says "Yareli" to me, no cuteness, no dress. like, it fits ivara in every way much much more than yareli.

the skin's proportions fit ivara much more than yareli, especially that head.

(just compared the skin to yareli and to Ivara and it literally fits ivara 1000x better than Yareli...)

i was really excited for a good Yareli skin.... this isnt it atleast based on the Tennocon showcase. a real swing and a miss imo.

• Like 10

🍑 for days.

I'm into it.

But for real though, Merulina is a jellyfish thing. Yareli's alt helmet is a Goldeen. She's the water fish girl, and this is a water fish skin. If anyone has the wrong skin it's the frog. And this skin is gonna add a lot of options for Yareli fashionframe when you mix and match and add Syandanas and other attachments. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Edited by PublikDomain
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Pizzarugi said:

Let Yareli have this.

let her have an ugly off-theme skin ? just google "Yareli deluxe" there are 10s of fan concepts that are on theme and look way better than this offering

1 hour ago, Pakaku said:

nice to see a Deluxe that is actually on theme for once

o.O you keep using that "on theme" I don't think it means what you think it means, just because she is water frame, a random jellyfish look does not make it "on theme" when it looks so completely different to her base!

CDN media

example ^ on theme

Edited by _Anise_
  • Like 15

11 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

o.O you keep using that "on theme" I don't think it means what you think it means, just because she is water frame, a random jellyfish look does not make it "on theme" when it looks so completely different to her base!

She has water-themed abilities, so I don't see how a water-based animal wouldn't suit her. And personally I'm glad they didn't go for the "smol waifu" style again.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

let her have an ugly off-theme skin ? just google "Yareli deluxe" there are 10s of fan concepts that are on theme and look way better than this offering

CDN media

example ^ on theme

that looks great

• Like 4

May be an unpopular opinion, and I do not think people should agree with me or anything, since of course, artistic styles and design and favour and preference, involves a lot of subjectivity. That and I can totally see why some would be disappointed with the design, don't think it fits the character, or similar... I kind of actually like it though. I think Yareli and Ivara do actually have a bit of thematic overlap. This skin will probably get me to play Yareli a little more, I mean, I do a little but eh yeah, some elements of her default skin design, just... I mean, I do also like it, but I also glad to have a skin thats quite different. 

On the plus side for those that dislike it, Deluxes also often can drastically change the visual style of a Warframe because they aren't limited to the base model, where as Tennogen is, so... Eventually we will get Tennogen Yareli skins, and those will almost definitely be stylistically similar to default skin. So if you like the default and dislike the Deluxe... I no, small consolation perhaps, but trying to sort of be a bit positive. 

• Like 2

Deluxes are also the showcase for the wild and out there designs that don't appear in normal Warframe designs. Atlas Karst is a literal rock, Rhino Deathwatch is a prismatic beetle. Mag, Harrow, and Nova had skins with hollow or detached parts before that became normal with Xaku and Citrine. Chroma, Excalibur, Grendel, and Khora all have skins that are just entirely too extra to be a default look. Deluxes also often approach the frame's themes from a very different angle, like how Protea combines Ottoman Turkish and futuristic military stylings, but her deluxe is a samurai with magic gadgets, both reflecting the "honor guard" concept but from different cultural themes. Vauban's tech gets steampunked. Saryn Orphid takes the creepy mushroom frame and expands on an alt helmet to make her a pretty flower. 

In theory it's even nice that some of those skins take wild swings and change body types and general vibes, even where it loses something unique about the original, like how Nezha goes from twink to hunk with his Empyrean skin. Variety to choose from is theoretically nice. 

So with all of that said, I'm not convinced this skin is it. I think the angle is that they've gone from cute to cute in a freaky way, because there is something oddly friendly about that giant eyeball on a lily pad head (I think it's smiling and I don't know what to feel about that) and I think they're aiming for the kind of "confused space alien" appeal real sea life can have in meme videos. I feel like I'm picking up what they're putting down here. But that head is still a jellyfish with an eyeball on it that looks way too much like Ivara Prime's, and the weird gills making up her face and coming out of her arms and legs feel too much like the generic creepy flesh of Nidus etc. Her back has tentacles inside like Nidus, her stomach has those same weird seams Nova's got, it all feels weirdly generic in the Warframe body horror palette. 

But it's worth saying too that all we have is concept art, so things might come across different in execution. Nova Atomica had such a different vibe from her concept in her final form that folks who liked her concept rioted, while I'd had no interest in the concept myself, but bought it immediately once it showed up in game.  

(I don't think this skin would make a good second deluxe for Ivara either, to be clear. It was random for her Prime to be jellyfish themed, and that's the only thing these two have in common aside from mushroom head + eyeball, which isn't even a literal eyeball on Ivara like it is here.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pakaku said:

She has water-themed abilities, so I don't see how a water-based animal wouldn't suit her. And personally I'm glad they didn't go for the "smol waifu" style again.

right, small water waifu is (part) of her theme? but maybe you're onto something maybe people who don't like her small water waifu thing will buy into this ugly weird bulky thing with Ivara helmet skin? I kinda like this concept from reddit which is still in a similar style but makes her less "small waifu" looking

3 hours ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

of course, artistic styles and design and favour and preference, involves a lot of subjectivity

absolutely

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, CopperBezel said:

Rhino Deathwatch is a prismatic beetle.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpgjust use that one as an example. I actually think this one looks great!! it's got a lot of the same features the codpiece is there the style and shape is more or less the same just the deluxe looks like a more awesome version of the same thing!

though one skin I can say I use is Gara Kaleida, I am actually using that because it looks nothing like her base skin the only one without the cod glass shard!, though its still very glassy themed!

25 minutes ago, CopperBezel said:

But it's worth saying too that all we have is concept art, so things might come across different in execution.

yeah I agree, I absolutely loved protea deluxe concept but think her in game model didn't quite live upto my expectations, maybe some of the Yareli Deluxe things are optional or effects, maybe the drawing make it appear off scale and in game she will still look like small waifu even with the skin?

Edited by _Anise_
  • Like 1

Yeah, you're right that Rhino Deathwatch keeps a lot of small design elements from the original despite shifting the theme from rhinoceros to rhinoceros beetle, which is a really cool trick. I honestly hadn't noticed how many little touches they translated over. I'm noticing that at least with the deluxe skins I use, though, that's actually the exception rather than the rule. There are a lot fewer specific details that carry over on, say, Protea Caladrius (I'm mostly just seeing the diamond shape in the toe of the shoes.) Nova Atomica is a retread of exactly the same spacy theme as the original but with a completely different design that doesn't reference any of the details (it doesn't even carry over the cute boots or do anything funky with her shoulder blades, and the space helmet look is as much Mag's as it is Nova's.) I don't use either of Titania's deluxe skins, but it's really clever how the Empress skin reinterprets the tunic and "jacket" and the design of her back with the insect thorax curve and the little light detail in there, and notable how the Donann skin is meant to cast as far from the "nature spirit" stylings of the original as possible into techy anime stuff but integrates the little shape on the tops of her feet. 

And there are definitely skins I use because I didn't find the theme or design of the base skin very appealing, too. I use the Wisp Dex skin, and that's her most generic look. I didn't care for Hildryn's bodybuilder vibe, and the Einheri skin replaces it with chunky robot bits. 

Suffice to say, I think different deluxe skins are doing different things and can be good for different reasons, I'm just not sold on what the Yareli is doing yet. 

Not for anything in particular, I think those "bulky" parts on the arms and legs of the Yareli concept are meant to evoke a giant clam, among other things.

What Do Giant Clams Eat? - American Oceans

The pink tube tentacles with their little rounded ends look a lot like a closeup of a lion's mane jellyfish or similar, though, like the head, so it still seems mostly that to me. The spikes inside the clam parts almost evoke nudibranchs, maybe?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LadyAnime said:

I get people make mistakes, literally wondering if they meant to say IVARA instead of YARELI because.

16 hours ago, _Anise_ said:

I am pretty certain they said this was an Ivara skin unless I am mistaken

Wow, nobody can make any #*!%ing research in these forums before posting anything

They even showed the skin for Merulina along with hers

11 minutes ago, -Krism- said:

Wow, nobody can make any #*!%ing research in these forums before posting anything

They even showed the skin for Merulina along with hers

it was literally me playing warframe, watching twitch on a second monitor, I heard jellyfish and glanced over at a one eyed big hat warframe that looked like Ivara, do you blame me for getting confused ? I even corrected myself in the edit (which I didn't need to edit in the way to show my initial response) you can see I did the research but you still saw fit to complain

pst are you secretly the artist working on this or something? because it sounds like comparing this frame to Ivara touched a nerve ! 😄

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

do you blame me for getting confused ?

You didn't pay enough attention to the stream? So yeah, the fault is on you

9 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

I even corrected myself in the edit (which I didn't need to edit in the way to show my initial response) you can see I did the research but you still saw fit to complain

Which is why I didn't quote only you, & also why I specifically highlighted the words "before posting"

36 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

While I love my Ivara Prime, it's always confused me why my cute little froppy suddenly became a jellyfish. There's... really no connection to draw there.

Semi-transparent and some varieties can sting the hell out of people who have no idea they're there.  The original design used some aspects of poisonous jungle frogs, so another venomous, camouflaged  critter in a wet environment?   And...that's all I got.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

While I love my Ivara Prime, it's always confused me why my cute little froppy suddenly became a jellyfish. There's... really no connection to draw there.

Baseline Ivara was designed after a Poison Dart Frog specifically, so the thematic throughline between it and her Prime form is venomous animals.

• Like 3