Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

how to have fun in this game? Question by a beginner

I almost completed the star chart and just playing the game without a real purpose. I just do it to see what comes next. I feel like mastery rank system is weird since i have to constantly change weapons after they get max level. Because of that reason I never get strong. When I finally get a weapon to level 30 and can use nice mods, I have to change the weapon. The story feels bad and disjointed. Missions repeat themselves after like 30 hours. What to do to have fun in this game? I already played around 70 hours but I can not play it anymore. Does someone know what I should do and tell me the purpose of the game?

• Like 1

Well, the the game has multiple aspect that certain people find fun

The one that everyone has in common with is grinding, we grind nonstop… always grinding… we grind so hard we’re considered grinders

That’s pretty much the game, grinding. There are other aspects in the game, what do you enjoy doing?

• Like 4

Pick a game mode and loadout you enjoy and focus on it for a while. Once you get past a certain MR, there isn't much point to grinding it until you decide you just want to.

• Like 3

Beginners may sadly have not enough options to have good fun. For example without energy (Energy restore, Zenurik school etc) you cannot cast abilities. If you cannot cast abilities then every frame may seems the same. As someone said, it's grind game. They are changing new player experience but it may still be not the best.

For me story (quests) are fine (some worse some better, of course). If you don't like them then there is nothing we can do.

My fun is trying different weapons and frames. Warframe has ton of items that you can customize your combat. Lots of them are similar but I think new player can find some "fun" items. Sometimes I "sit" in Simulacrum (place where you can test your items, you can spawn enemies, change weapons/frame etc) in one hour. Would this work or that? That's kind of stuff that makes it fun. Of course not every item is like this.

You can try Duviri. It's different combat than normal frame combat. Although it's not the best, you can pick few frames and few weapons (at max "ranks" I have ~5 frame, 2-3 primary/secondary weapon and 2-3 melees). It comes with pre-equipued mods There are items that you don't have (e.g. I was playing twice with Dante frame, that I don't have yet). It's "fine" place to try new items. Sadly it's like 5 mission repeated ad nauseum.

• Like 3

I suggest you not worry about MR (mastery rank) for now ,

i suggest you try and complete the mod collection so you can pick something you like and try to optimize it slowly.

Don't rush , don't follow other people's idea of fun , find your own 

warframe is very large and very complex , take it step by step. If you are considering ranking weapons or frames to 30 as the goal then you are mistaken , getting to 30 is just the start of the complexity.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kaleraxia said:

I feel like mastery rank system is weird since i have to constantly change weapons after they get max level. Because of that reason I never get strong. When I finally get a weapon to level 30 and can use nice mods, I have to change the weapon.

I think one of the easiest ways to not have fun is to focus too much on raising your Mastery Rank.  Instead, your first priority should be to find Warframes and weapons that you enjoy using.  When you find them, keep using them!  You can even put the few Forma or Orokin Catalysts/Reactors you've accumulated in them to make them able to fit more mods, which lets you further customize them to your preferences.  Once you've found a Warframe, a Primary Weapon, a Secondary Weapon, and a Melee weapon you really enjoy, you'll have so much more fun with the game.

You will of course find times when you want more Mastery Rank, either so you can do a quest or so you can use a weapon that requires a higher rank.  There are two ways to raise your mastery rank without throwing fun out the window:

1. Pick any one item in your loadout, and instead of using your favorite item, level up something.  Just by having it equipped, even if you don't use it, it will eventually be maxed out and you'll get the Mastery from it.  Then you can swap it out for something else, and over time you'll gain Mastery.
  2. Once you unlock Sanctuary Onslaught, you can unequip everything except a bunch of items you want to level and hop in.  This mode levels items really fast, so you won't have to spend tons of time using items you don't enjoy.

2 hours ago, Kaleraxia said:

The story feels bad and disjointed.

Warframe's story isn't told in a straight-forward way; it's kind of like Dark Souls or Elden Ring, where your average player isn't going to catch all the important details without reading through Codex entries or rewatching cut scenes on YouTube.  Some people like the way this makes the story and universe a bit more of a puzzle to solve like a detective, and some people don't because they'd prefer to just have an accessible and casual story.  Whichever way you feel, that's valid.

2 hours ago, Kaleraxia said:

What to do to have fun in this game? I already played around 70 hours but I can not play it anymore. Does someone know what I should do and tell me the purpose of the game?

Fun is subjective, so I can only offer my opinion.

At its core, Warframe is a loot-driven game where you do the same missions over and over, and most of what you do is kill a bunch of enemies.  What I think makes this interesting for some people is that the Warframes and weapons the game lets you use allow you to make some really interesting combos.  So if you're the kind of person who gets excited when they discover a Warframe ability that synergizes with a particular weapon, there are a lot of toys to play with to make combos and discoveries like that.  And for better or worse, a lot of the systems and functionality in Warframe are very nuanced and confusing, so there's always something new to discover.

In addition, there's so much customization you can do with how you play.  You can make a build where you're unkillable and shrug off everything enemies throw your way while taking them out with precision headshots, or you can play as a fast-paced mage that groups enemies into a vortex before lighting them on fire.  Or you can do both at once!  Or you can be a tiny faerie mowing down enemies from above, or you can surf through levels encasing enemies in aquatic prisons, or you can just plain eat your enemies and watch them slowly dissolve in your stomach.  At the end of the day it's all just killing enemies, but there's such a great variety of ways that you can customize that experience to your liking.

Also, I really love the movement in this game.  Bullet-jumping, sliding, it all feels great.  I've never played a game that comes close to the same feel, so playing a mission is just a great excuse to enjoy that aspect of the game.

Anyway, whether you decide this game is for you or not, I hope this helps you move in the direction that works best for you!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kaleraxia said:

I almost completed the star chart and just playing the game without a real purpose. I just do it to see what comes next. I feel like mastery rank system is weird since i have to constantly change weapons after they get max level. Because of that reason I never get strong. When I finally get a weapon to level 30 and can use nice mods, I have to change the weapon. The story feels bad and disjointed. Missions repeat themselves after like 30 hours. What to do to have fun in this game? I already played around 70 hours but I can not play it anymore. Does someone know what I should do and tell me the purpose of the game?

well, Mastery is an important mechanic to engage with but it doesn't have to be the be-all end all, and you can still run a mixture of weapons, say one that you just really like, and one that you're levelling. you don't have to change weapons right away, just when you fell like it; MR points aren't going anywhere.

the story can be a bit hard to understand sometimes, and it does get weird/goes from one place to another entirely without much warning sometimes, but not everyone plays for the story, and I'd argue that while DE wants to tell a story, it's still only secondary to the gameplay itself; if DE had to choose between story and gameplay, the smart thing to do would pick gameplay, because there aren't any other games in this genre that play like warframe does.

a lot of the time, we are usually chasing after the next new thing, but there are places where fun can be found; fashionframe is a big one: so is just going into an endless mission and annihilating enemies just for the sake of it. the main thing to remember though is that the game doens't really hold your hand or guide you, even in places where it should, so you have to make your own fun somehow.

keep trying different thigns, and if you still don't have any luck, maybe warframe isn't for you, and that's fine. your time should be spent wherever you enjoy it most; don't punish yourself playing a game that isn't making you happy.

• Like 1

If you do not want to engage with build crafting and wanna use the best of the best for having fun, you must cope with DE having a chance to take that enjoyment away from you if your way of having fun intervenes in others' enjoyment. Fortunately, the meta is like The Hydra, you chop off its head, another one will take its place. You can always find a replacement.

If you're not that type of person, explore what the game offers; find what you find enjoyable and then stick to it. If you wanna take me for reference, I find fun doing these activities:

• Eidolon Hunting
  • Arcane Dissolve Farming from Void Cascade game mode.
  • Making platinum through relic cracking.

• Like 1

Warframe has always been my pick up and go game. Something to have mindless fun. What keeps me in the game are the friends I've made. I joined a clan after about 6 months and it really elevated the fun I have in game, having someone to play with in game makes it a muck better experience in my opinion. I'm L4 and got practically everything in game but I always find something fun to do. Best advice I can give is find some mates to join you and focus more on the things you enjoy and grind the things you don't particularly like with others. Share the burden.

Good luck and hope you find fun in the game Tenno. It's certainly in there, just about finding what's right for you 

Edited by obiwandandobi2
  • Like 2

Simplest answer from my experience is to try different things (frames, weapons, etc.) and to stop thinking.  Fun is a feeling, and thinking usually overrides that, so empty your head and fill your arsenal.

• Like 1

Besides what has already been suggested in how to have fun, a lot of it depends on your arsenal. If you simply wait for what your progress can bring you then boredom ensues. 

Try to get involved in trading (warframe.market) to have more freedom on what you can enjoy by actually buying/bartering off from players or the in-game market. This game has a ton full of items you can grind for/sell and its robust trading is one thing players can do passively while having fun.

Edited by Alpha_Tango
  • Like 1

On 2024-03-28 at 12:35 PM, Aruquae said:

The one that everyone has in common with is grinding, we grind nonstop… always grinding… we grind so hard we’re considered grinders

That’s pretty much the game, grinding. There are other aspects in the game, what do you enjoy doing?

You just pointed out the problem. Grinding is playing the same things over and over again to gain rank and farming is collecting stuff.  You grind so you can get to the rank that holds something you want to farm and you rinse and repeat. That's work. Do you ever play game modes just to experience the game modes, or only to increase MR and collect more stuff?

On 2024-03-28 at 12:30 PM, Kaleraxia said:

You have to make your own fun. Play exterminate, defense, and survival missions just to kill the enemies. Use what warframe(s) you like and what weapon(s) you like. My best advice is this: Find another game that is your main game, the game you really play to have fun. Warframe has interesting Warframes and some neat weapons, but the core gameplay mechanics (moving and shooting) are rather basic. You will get bored very quickly if you don't have anything to grind for and collect.

Other games are designed around creating an immersive, engaging, exciting gameplay experience that you'll want to repeat to get that excitement, immersion, and engagement. Warframe is not that game. Some of us have tried to get DE to make Warframe that kind of a game. They have not done so. Warframe is unique in what it offers, and in how much it offers, but none of what it does is exceptional. So play Warframe when you've played too much of your main game, and take frequent breaks with Warframe. Come back to it every few months (particularly for major updates), and it will feel fresh and different for a few days/weeks. Then, go back to your main game. That way, you'll have fun with Warframe without getting burnt out, and when you get bored, you go back to your main game.

Don't you get tired of grinding though 

8 hours ago, obiwandandobi2 said:

It's only a grind if you don't enjoy the gameplay

^This

9 hours ago, OneOmniverse said:

Don't you get tired of grinding though 

I personally don't grind that much, I just like experimenting with weapon builds/frame builds and finding the dumbest things possible. I also like powerhousing through missions going full berserker... that's just my way of playing the game.

• Like 2

Am 28.3.2024 um 17:30 schrieb Kaleraxia:

there is no destination. Just chilling. The whole thing doesn't make any sense anyway.
I hear a lot of things in the background, so I don't care what I'm doing. I can also just stand in the ship for almost an hour and admire beautiful graphics. or play duviri solo for 2 hours.

On 2024-03-29 at 10:28 PM, obiwandandobi2 said:

It's only a grind if you don't enjoy the gameplay

I sees

On 2024-03-30 at 7:08 AM, Aruquae said:

^This

I personally don't grind that much, I just like experimenting with weapon builds/frame builds and finding the dumbest things possible. I also like powerhousing through missions going full berserker... that's just my way of playing the game.

I sees

On 2024-03-30 at 3:32 PM, Venus-Venera said:
On 2024-03-28 at 5:30 PM, Kaleraxia said:

there is no destination. Just chilling. The whole thing doesn't make any sense anyway.

I remember one time when I just played Shawzin in sp circuit. Teshin commented that I was one of few that keeps duviri 'healthy'. I felt like Bard :D

Ain't it the truth 🤷

• Like 1

Hard to tell. Personally I love the story and most of quest. It might look chaotic and random, but it has some charm and appealing, overall I don’t like games where we’re just another bald humans, but hey, how many other games allow you to take control (and fully customize) your own bio-terminator to slay thousands of bad guys?

I love cracking rivens and try make a decent build for unpopular  weapon I’ve just got riven for. So I just grind for rivens and kuva… Untill new great quest comes out to give me few great hours… And more grind!

On 2024-03-28 at 4:30 PM, Kaleraxia said:

Hello. I can help you with anything you need.  In short words: yes, this is a grinding game. Any question about the story: ask here and people will be happy to reply.

Im currently focusing on achieving master rank 30 (im currently 29). 

My way to play this game is building my favourite frame for it to be able to beat any content without any deaths and solo. And, of course, completing all the quests and reading about all the lore (is amazing).

Each tenno finds his/her own way to enjoy this massive game. Unlocking 100% of the starchart is only the beginning.

I mained several frames during all these years. I had a break of a year or so and now im enjoying the game like the first day.

When Lotus woke me up, my mind was connected to a Loki warframe. From there i mained a Vauban, then Chroma (for a looong time), Gauss in the last few months and currently Dante. Dante is all i have been waiting for: a wizard warframe. And on top of the cake, he is good and super fun to play with!!! 

Disclaimer: i know Limbo is another wizard but the rift mechanics has way too many inconsistencies. Limbo is a failed attempt of a wizard warframe (in my opinion).

You got to know yourself, what you like, what Warframe offers, and then how to play the game in a way which appeals to what you like, and if possible, minimise the parts you don't like. Which also means, no one else can really tell you what bit is fun, thats up to you. 

For example? For myself? I like testing and experimenting with weapons. Doesn't necessarily mean I like all weapons... but we are given three slots. This might help you out too, because you can use one slot for a weapon you might like a lot and can invest in, and then use the other two slots to either experiment or master the weapon, for MR. If you level it up, and like it? You might want to keep it, if you dislike it? You can sell it, and replace with a new weapon, to form an opinion on. You don't have to have 3 new low level weapons to master at once, or 3 mastered maxed out weapons either. You can apply discretion. 

Same with mission types and progression. Some people get overwhelmed with the game, so might do better trying to focus on smaller parts. Some might need breaks, some might prefer solo, some teams, some longer missions, some short, some fashion frame, some making meta builds, some story quests, some farming, some people like to main one Warframe, some like to change frequently... all those different people may have different ideas of fun.