Genderswapped frames in the future yes or no

arch111

Im usually all in for making the Customization as advanced as possible

However, I think this takes too much from each Warframe's Identity

"If any Warframe can have cake, then none of them really has any"

• Like 4

3 hours ago, arch111 said:

GLStpQOWMAAkoQi?format=png&name=small

In ways I'm fond of the idea of genderswapped frames because broadly speaking I tend to enjoy playing as masc frames less.  But at the same time (and with respect) I wouldn't want this implementation of it.  I don't want "female" to mean busty, thin waist, smooth hips.  I want features that explore more body types, not fewer.

Like, this is Baruuk, a frame with a fairly deviant design for a masculine frame: he's got "dad bod".  He's not sexualized nor does his body reflect a typical power fantasy; he's got a very average body for man.  I would want a female Baruuk to explore that same vibe: less shapely, more down to earth while still having some subtle distinctions that make her feel that tad more femme.

Anyway, that's my subjective take.  If getting genderswaps resulted in World of Warcraft levels of sexual dimorphism, I wouldn't be interested.

• Like 2

I find that the whole thing is working around the metal-meatsuits as they are, and that's part of the charm, we control them, but they aren't our 'character', that would be us in the back of the ship going "Man, I wish that backpack was straight caked up bro" we customize that, change all sorts of things on, as that's meant to be us, rather than metal-meatsuit we control via brainwaves.

Honestly I'd love a gender toggle on frames. But as many have said it's just an asbolutely obscene ammount of work. They'd basically have to make two different models for nearly every frame and deluxe skin.

There's are a hand full of frames that look completely androgynous tho. I seriously thought Equinox was a guy for a long time. Kinda wish they were tbh.

Imo, it would have been better if DE just made them all like that and never gendered them to begin with.

Edited by PollexMessier
  • Like 1

Too many bits of lore have piled up over the years that have effectively killed that idea, like the human host reveal, so there would have to be a lot of retconning if this toggle was ever added.

At the same time... I really personally couldn't care less if a warframe is male or female, the gameplay is what matters most to me, and there is nothing to the combat that changes by being a male or female (or Xaku).

The interesting option IMO is the brother-sister idea, where male and female derivatives come with their own unique playstyles, like Volt vs. Gyre, where they only incidentally happen to be opposite genders. It goes further than just a cosmetic toggle, even though that's not the idea behind having that sort of toggle.

Edited by Pakaku
  • Like 4

I have zero objection to it, and it might encourage me to spend some more on the game and play some frames I don't play much otherwise.  I don't really care about frame gender, but I might prefer the aethetics of, say, a female Lavos, or a male Saryn--frames that seem cool mechanically, but  I just don't bother with because something about their look turns me off.

OTOH, if I had a choice between this and DE just putting out a bunch more Deluxe skins out a year, or getting voidshell textures to work on more skins or with prime toggles, I'd I think I'd take those instead.

• Like 3

Lots of different thoughts. Thank you all for that, I appreciate it.

All of the points raised are valid and I agree this would only be a thing if DE wanted to do it and ran out of ideas for new and good frames, so instead  focus on making deluxes of different flavors.

You can argue they are allready doing that now, considerable rescources must be spent on deluxe-variants and more and more exotic frames. Not to mention proto-frames and (I assume) entrati-based ones to come. 

Anyway, thank´s for playing everyone!

• Like 1

i mean it would be nice as there is some frames id def play if they had a female option/equivalent. However, i do not expect DE to introduce this option and at this point they would have to do 50+ frames which is alot of extra work for what essentially is a cosmetic option. Maybe if they made it cost plat to get the other gender option it could be a good compromise (put it like same price as a regular frame or something). But like mentioned, i wouldnt raise my hopes of them introducing it.

the eternal truths of warframe aesthetics:

- fashionframe is endgame

- metallic accents will always be coloured gold at some point.

- Liger's deluxe skins will always look hella weird in one way or another.

- genderbent frames won't happen.

there doesn't seem to be a nice way for DE to monetize this, for all 55+ warframes. so it most likely will never happen. way too much work i'd assume. unless they sell this as a special kind of skin that people can toggle off. maybe they can sell new skins for the opposite gender, idk. 

10 hours ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Based on these images I am starting to suspect you have never seen a woman in real life. If they made Baruuk look like that I'd stick with the male version. 

WRT the question, I think it would be a waste of resources and it doesn't really interest me, nor do I think it would draw enough interest to be worth the time necessary to do it, there's over 50 warframes, after all.

I made this in 20 mins, so don´t take it so seriously. Someone wanted to see Baruuk as a female, so I played around with it for a bit.

A true genderswap would be more than just a copy and boobs or pecs.

I'm open to the idea, ig it could be a toggle like prime details ?

Warframes will still have an original (canon) identity which will apply to all skins tho imo 

So yes for base warframe to have that but no for skins 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PollexMessier said:

I seriously thought Equinox was a guy for a long time. Kinda wish they were tbh.

equinox day form is male
equinox night form is female

1st skill swaps :)
emissive (or energy colour...) determines which form you start off in

Xaku is a "they" (mesh of 3...)

as for the title of the thread... hmmmmm... too much work for [DE] probably, and i'd prioritise other things over this.
There's no big pay off for doing this.

Also "gender swapped" sounds annoyingly Lgbtq (sorry, the agenda irks me), warframes are essentially bio-bots, not human, not sexual, not "gendered"... although, 
that whole argument... you can say you feel like a male hildryn and a female rhino and voila, because you said it, it is so :P 

Edited by helioth137
  • Like 2

On 2024-04-16 at 3:42 PM, Pakaku said:

Too many bits of lore have piled up over the years that have effectively killed that idea, like the human host reveal, so there would have to be a lot of retconning if this toggle was ever added.

The human host lore doesn't contradict the creation of both male and female versions of frames. The opposite sex frame would just have a human of the opposite sex.

Edited by Letter13
That thing you did? Don't do it.
  • Like 1

I think if we haven't seen it in 11 years we probably wont see it anytime soon. Maybe years and years down the line when the game is bascially done and they just toss it out at the end of the development

You can barely even make your operator/drifter look definitively male/female

4 hours ago, helioth137 said:

equinox day form is male

It's been confirmed time and again that Equinox is female is both forms.

At this rate it's borderline misogynistic to keep assuming Equinox is male in her day form just because she's more bulky in that form, since those people are implying women can't be strong.

Edited by AbyssalSerpent
  • Like 1

No, no, no and no thank you

This horse has been beaten so badly that at this point you're striking oil

5 minutes ago, AbyssalSerpent said:

since those people are implying women can't be strong.

This comment is both wrong and completely cringe.  I have never seen nor heard this statement in my decade of playing this game.  

Keep the gender dog whistles out of gaming please 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, zThulsaDoomz said:

Keep the gender dog whistles out of gaming please 

Says people like the OP who are obsessed with genderswapping everything. And most likely people who do want to genderswap everything are those who have an unhealthy obsession with R63.

Edited by AbyssalSerpent

2 minutes ago, AbyssalSerpent said:

Says people like the OP who are obsessed with genderswapping everything. And most likely people who do want to genderswap everything are those who have an unhealthy obsession with R63.

The op clearly requested a feature.  They did not imply anything further.  You are literally projecting an ulterior motive for their request. 

As I said previously,  it's not going to happen for various reasons that were put to rest years ago, but it's just disingenuous to assume that's what they meant without at least having confirmation on their part.

I personally would not mind if they added because in most mmo games (I am aware warframe is not counted as mmo rather coop-looter shooter) there are gender and other custmization options and this would be only a cosmetic one once you have a warframe you could use the another body type. Originally they wanted to go for it and some warframes changed gender during the development (mag, nyx (female excal), ember) also concepts changed genders too like zephyr who was originally a male frame. The rescurces was not available back there because the studio struggled and tried to survive so they later when the game kickstarted back into the life dropped the idea because they decided to go for a lore written to each frame and they ended up building a wholly different story what originally the game meant to be. Nowadays it would be tricky to do this and some stuff needs to be redone if they would go with the idea. Still I personally support the idea but the chance to happen is low but as deluxe or special skin I think it is achievable all depends on how many person can work on the warframes itself. The only drawback here is not the lore itself, retconning is a thing in video games but the profitability. They could not sell the same thing twice so for profit wise this would not be a good idea for them. Unless they add mod support to the game like other coop shooters (killing floor comes to my mind or  L4D) where there are mods to enchance your experience and not ruining others game because it is more or less local. Warframe in this part more strict because needs constant online presence to play it. This is mainly for security reasons so no one could pirate the game and they can sell platinum.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, helioth137 said:

equinox day form is male

It certainly appears that way, but canonically equinox is female in both forms. The different forms being different sexes is just a myth that's been floating around for ages.

1st skill swaps :)
emissive (or energy colour...) determines which form you start off in

Yeah that's kindof equinox's whole thing. Pretty unnecessary addition to the conversation, and kindof condescending tbh. Equinox is one of only 2 frames in the game I've ever considered myself to have "mained" at some point. I know her kit very well.

The energy color thing is something a lot of people probably don't know... but was not really relevant to the topic at all.

Xaku is a "they" (mesh of 3...)

Yes I know, everybody knows.

1 hour ago, AbyssalSerpent said:

At this rate it's borderline misogynistic to keep assuming Equinox is male in her day form just because she's more bulky in that form, since those people are implying women can't be strong.

We really didn't need to go there. As I said above it's a myth that's been circulating through the playerbase for as long as equinox has existed. It's really easy to see why, and how a lot of people might even come to that conclusion entirely on their own. Like I said I even thought equinox was all guy for a while. They just hadn't gotten the memmo yet chill.

Pretty much the only way to know this at all is if you read her description and saw the "her" in it referring to equinox as a whole (and if you think about it it kindof doesn't make sense that it refers to equinox as "her" instead of "they" since she's two frames in one, even if they're both female.), If you obsessively payed attention to DE's prime release order, or you had someone tell you. Visually she's the most androgynous frame in the game, besides Xaku for obvious reasons. Base Nezha looks more like his own sex than equinox does.

Edited by PollexMessier

6 hours ago, helioth137 said:

equinox day form is male

This is actually a common misconception.  Equinox's day form is "masculine" and the day form is "feminine".  It's easy to understand why many people took this to mean that the day form was actually "male", but that's not actually the case.  From the game's codex:

"Equinox rises from the edge of day and night. Her Day form offers offensive support while her Night form offers defensive support. She thrives between realms."

DE clarified this as well: