Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wow! New player here & never played Warframe until I tried The First Descendant. I am hooked! Any advice?!

Darthstrukt

Question

Why did I never really hear about this game or ever try it?! I can't believe how amazing this game feels from the start. I started out playing The First Descendant because I was extremely bored and I was turned off fast from the Korean style vibes and unreasonable money grab. I kept reading comments on youtube that Waframe was better and the monetization by Digital Extremes was very reasonable compared to Nexon, which is what prompted me to try this game out last night. 

I've enjoyed the initial gameplay so much that I already spent $10 so I could buy the Volt Electrolyst Skin and also the Aeolak Starter Weapon Pack. I have sense uninstalled The First Descendant and want to really grind Warframe moving forward. I have noticed there are clans in this game and was wondering if that is another area I should explore, and if so, are there any forum members here that would like to help take me under their wing? 

I am also curious about what other packs are worth purchasing from the store. I don't want to rob much of the gaming experience by being a "P2W" person, but am aiming for things that will make quality of life a bit better as I progress through my journey.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Geometries62 said:

If you want spent real money, I suggest you to buy slots for warframes and guns first. Then forma. As for sets, current pack with Rino and mag looks good. If you cannot buy plat with money you can trade it on market, trade chat or meru's bazaar. 

Thank you for the advice! I am looking into slots now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, (PSN)Magician_NG said:

1. Play all the nodes on the Star Chart.

2. Complete all the quests as you unlock access to them.

3. Try not to let toxic randoms in public matchmaking turn you off the game.

4. Welcome. GLHF.

#1 & #2 will do! #3 I won't have an issue with, I've been a gamer for over 35 years now, I've seen it all, lol! #4 - Thank you for the advice and warm welcome!

Edited by Darthstrukt
  • Like 2

The quests you run into should pull you along to where you need to go. There are quite a few mechanics unlocked in the main story quests.

40 minutes ago, Darthstrukt said:

I am also curious about what other packs are worth purchasing from the store. I don't want to rob much of the gaming experience by being a "P2W" person, but am aiming for things that will make quality of life a bit better as I progress through my journey.

Weapons and frames and mods can all be acquired ingame without spending a dime. All of it. You can of course buy these items with money, but just know that you're only skipping the grind. Cosmetics are pretty much the only things you have to spend money to acquire, but even then there are a ton you can earn for free. Consumables like Reactors/Catalysts (we call them "potatoes"), Forma, lenses, unlockers, etc. can also be acquired ingame, but there are so many items in the game to use them on that you're probably safe spending a few plat here and there on some. Slots are always worth having and are quite cheap (you can also get them for free when you receive a free weapon or frame like the anniversary items or Twitch drops). Speaking of - it'd be good to link your Twitch account. If you watch Tennocon in a few weeks you'll get a gun and a free Saryn Prime.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tesla_Reloaded said:

Play without hurry. Explore the locations, search for secrets, gather loot. Do things at comfortable pace and don't try to do everything at once.

If you're going to do this, do so in a private squad. Public squads will, for the most part, want the mission done before you've even loaded in

• Like 1

I tried playing first descendant, and it felt a bit like warframe but with none of the charm. Just a bunch of popular game mechanics mashed together without any soul, kinda cheap.

The greedy lootbox devs kinda ruined it on monetization, too.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sephylon086918 said:

Find a clan. Plenty of unexplained mechanics in the game. Finding a clan can get you some1 to walk you through them.

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

The quests you run into should pull you along to where you need to go. There are quite a few mechanics unlocked in the main story quests.

Weapons and frames and mods can all be acquired ingame without spending a dime. All of it. You can of course buy these items with money, but just know that you're only skipping the grind. Cosmetics are pretty much the only things you have to spend money to acquire, but even then there are a ton you can earn for free. Consumables like Reactors/Catalysts (we call them "potatoes"), Forma, lenses, unlockers, etc. can also be acquired ingame, but there are so many items in the game to use them on that you're probably safe spending a few plat here and there on some. Slots are always worth having and are quite cheap (you can also get them for free when you receive a free weapon or frame like the anniversary items or Twitch drops). Speaking of - it'd be good to link your Twitch account. If you watch Tennocon in a few weeks you'll get a gun and a free Saryn Prime.

Thanks for this advice! This is all good to know. I am a sucker for skins, so that's where the rmt will go, haha.

19 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

I can only confirm what colleagues have said already - slots, clan, and welcome !

And don't hesitate to ask anyone for advices, nothing's really explained in game and you might miss important stuff.

Just sent you a private message, you're the man!!

15 minutes ago, Tesla_Reloaded said:

Play without hurry. Explore the locations, search for secrets, gather loot. Do things at comfortable pace and don't try to do everything at once.

Will do!

11 minutes ago, Oggyswe said:

Welcome to warframe hope you enjoy your time. Just remember dont stress you will get everything you want eventually. There is tho alot of things and im not gonna spoil anything

Oh and main story quests are worth it so make sure you got time for them 

Yea, I am definitely going to grind out and finish the main story quests as my first priority. Do you know how many hours it takes to finish main story line for the entire game if I focused on nothing else?

Just now, Sephylon086918 said:

If you're going to do this, do so in a private squad. Public squads will, for the most part, want the mission done before you've even loaded in

Good advice, makes sense, thanks!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kaiga said:

I tried playing first descendant, and it felt a bit like warframe but with none of the charm. Just a bunch of popular game mechanics mashed together without any soul, kinda cheap.

The greedy lootbox devs kinda ruined it on monetization, too.

You hit the nail on the head! However, the itch was there for that type of game, and I kept hearing about Warframe in every comparison video on TFD. I am so glad I tried this game out, it blows TFD out of the water imo.

Just now, (XBOX)K1jker said:

Welcome! You're in for a treat! I'm playing since 2014 and I still don't have enough of the game 😄 

Awesome! I'm looking forward to the same experience! I also did some research and saw that Soulframe is another game that will be coming out soon. Does anyone know when that is suppose to launch? I'm quickly becoming a fan of this game developer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (PSN)Magician_NG said:

2. Complete all the quests as you unlock access to them.

I'd like to add a caveat to this rule in particular.

There's a quest called "The Duviri Paradox" that is unlocked extremely early in the game's progression (in fact it's available right after completing the intro quest, Vor's Prize) but I would personally advise against playing it until you're a bit further into the game.

Without going into detail, it tells a side story that ties in directly with the main plot later on, and if you take too long between playing it and playing the quest where the paths converge you may risk forgetting certain details.

I'm not going to say what the best time to actually play it is since my opinion on that is honestly a bit variable, but I would definitely say you shouldn't play it before reaching Jupiter at least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corvid said:

I'd like to add a caveat to this rule in particular.

There's a quest called "The Duviri Paradox" that is unlocked extremely early in the game's progression (in fact it's available right after completing the intro quest, Vor's Prize) but I would personally advise against playing it until you're a bit further into the game.

Without going into detail, it tells a side story that ties in directly with the main plot later on, and if you take too long between playing it and playing the quest where the paths converge you may risk forgetting certain details.

I'm not going to say what the best time to actually play it is since my opinion on that is honestly a bit variable, but I would definitely say you shouldn't play it before reaching Jupiter at least.

Thank you for not spoiling anything for me, I'll jump into this as soon as I reach Jupiter.

Firstly, Welcome to the game and community. <3

3 hours ago, Darthstrukt said:

Any advice?!

Enjoy the game at your pace, dont try rushing content, eventually you will get to the end game with the best experience
Ignore Meta, get to learn how each weapon and frame performs before deciding which best fits your playstyle
Dont feel bad for asking people for advice or using external sources like the Wiki for more infos.
Most importantly, make friends and have fun.

Edited by BiancaRoughfin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Darthstrukt said:

Soulframe

There's an invite only test that's been going on since December. They've been adding people along the way but I was lucky enough to get in the first batch. It is much slower with a different feel, but is nice so far. They're still very early on and figuring out where to go with things. There have been some official videos you can find here but for those of us that are in we are under NDA and can only share screenshots, not our own videos.

You can try your luck for a pre-alpha key at https://www.soulframe.com but there's no real idea on when a launch may happen yet.

Edited by Hobie-wan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hobie-wan said:

There's an invite only test that's been going on since December. They've been adding people along the way but I was lucky enough to get in the first batch. It is much slower with a different feel, but is nice so far. They're still very early on and figuring out where to go with things. There have been some official videos you can find here but for those of us that are in we are under NDA and can only share screenshots, not our own videos.

You can try your luck for a pre-alpha key at https://www.soulframe.com but there's no real idea on when a launch may happen yet.

Good to know, I just signed up and reserved my envoy title!

Welcome to the game and the forums! 

Stellar advice has already been given. So I'll take a little bit of a different approach. Warframe as a game, is pretty accomodating and flexible in some ways, but its a game that I think can be really rewarding for people that know themselves and what they are like when it comes to games, and those that know the game decently well. 

I say that because a lot of different people play the game differently, like some people bounce off near the beginning, some people burn out and start to dislike the game, some people play off and on for years and years, some people play frequently all the time, some people are F2P exclusive, some people will wait for Discount Vouchers to get Platinum cheaper, some people will, occasionally buy some of the more expensive bundles now and then, like there are a lot of different ways to approach Warframe... I personally think its good, when people sort of understand that so they can make their own decisions so they can maximise their enjoyment. 

Like with myself I was personally weary of Warframe being a FTP game, because some FTP games can be quite predatory, you can miss out on "limited time exclusives" and some of the gameplay loops can be boring, or dull, as a way to incentivise or motivate people to spend money to get fun or cool things... However after I did my research on the game, spoke to friends who play it, watched a few videos, I came to the conclusion that Warframe can be grindy, there can some things about it that encourage spending money, but overall it was actually one of the very best FTP games as far as monetisation goes. Like legitimately most of the game, outside some certain cosmetics, you can access and get without paying anything. You might have to grind and trade currency, or grind content, but you get to enjoy and experience everything. 

That being said, people are different. You might want to spend some money, but even if you do... I would still generally recommend playing the game a little, and trying to understand what you enjoy about it, whats the appeal, what will you actually enjoy long term and not just short term, before you commit much money, just because that will likely enrich your experience. 

So in that sense, one recommendation, is to just slowly make your way through each planet, try and follow the story, do recommended quests when they pop up... You may come across some bosses? Many you can fight to get new Warframe parts, you can build them. Check the market to see what stuff you can buy for Credits (the free in game currency), see where blueprints drop. Slots are actually a really good investment. Why? Well you should try and not throw away some things, like Warframes, but getting new stuff is great? So even if you don't like a Warframe now, you might in the future, so having more Warframe slots is great, so you can try out new characters. 

If you do decide to spend real money, and end up with Plat, Slots for Warframes and weapons are a good idea. Even the free 50 Platinum you get at the beginning is best to spend on Slots. Then if you have more questions or curiosities, always feel free to ask on the Forums. There is also a Help/Question and Answer chat window in game, in the chat menu. Linking your Twitch is a good idea as you can get free things that way sometimes. 

That also being said, its good to take the game at your preferred pace. Slow can be good, but enthusiastic is great too. Game also has solo modes, as well as MP modes. Try and check out Nightwave when you can. Another source of free things. 

Condensed Point by Point version. 

• Progress through Star Chart/Story. 
  • Slots are good. 
  • Grind/Farm yourself some new Warframes
  • Remember to have fun
  • Remember to ask questions liberally if you are ever unsure or curious. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Darthstrukt said:

Yea, I am definitely going to grind out and finish the main story quests as my first priority. Do you know how many hours it takes to finish main story line for the entire game if I focused on nothing else?

The main story now is probably 20 hours or so long and then all the unlocking to get to it is more. If my memory serves correctly

Since the story missions need you to have done diffrent things to unlock them.

As someone who had all the weapons in the game at multiple points in time.
You didn't rob yourself of much getting Aeolak... except experiencing some weapon progression... kindof. There's a lot of really broken weapons you can get really early if you know how to so, not really. The farm to get Aeolak is so awful I straight up gave up trying and never got the weapon. I feel like it's a bit overpowered of a weapon for a starterpack. But compared to the gap between it and end game weapons it's not a big deal.

My two bits of advice would be look up guides for movement and modding. These are two things the game does not do a very good job explaining and are very core mechanics of the game that you need to understand.

I frequently see people in the upper mastery levels that struggle with and severely hate mission types that require good proficiency in movement because they just completely lack any major movement knowledge. Some people get hundreds of hours in before realizing you can bullet jump upwards. And there's technical stuff like sliding midair reduces air friction and jumping off a wall resets your double jump, bullet jump, and air-dodge.

Modding is probably the single most complicated and difficult to understand part of the game. And it doesn't help that updates can sometimes massively change the rules on you. Which unfortunately happened fairly recently, so a lot of mod guides older than a few months are going to be wrong on a few things probably. But modding is where the vast majority of your power comes from. Utility, survivability, damage... How well you know how to mod your gear will be the difference between getting one shot and dealing ship damage, and being straight up unkillable and one-shotting enemies.

There is very rarely a "best" anything. Almost any specific thing you want to accomplish can usually be approached a variety of ways effectively. The majority of weapons types have multiple weapons that are "the best" of that weapon type with various pros and cons between them. Almost every single warframe in the game is great in it's own way for it's own set of purposes. The only frame I'd say is just genuinely terrible is Banshee, but some people disagree with me on that. And Oberon has started to feel pretty dated.

Don't be afraid to look up how to get something. The vast majority of the time looking it up or stumbling on it by pure accident is the only way to know.

Try to always have a bunch of weapons crafting in your foundry at any given moment for mastery. They can sit in there in a completed state indefinitely you you can kindof buffer weapons in there you intend to level up and then toss immediately afterwards. Which, if no one's brought it up yet, every piece of gear you can gain experience for that you level up for the first time, will give you mastery. So you still want to use garbage weapons for the mastery experience. So it's good to just have piles of them sitting in your foundry ready to go when you feel like leveling mastery. Just be aware if you level the same weapon twice you will not get mastery for it so it's a waste of time, and some weapons are crafting components for other weapons, so try to be aware of what those are so you don't toss them and need to craft them again later as a component.

• Like 1