Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Ability Mods: Coming Changes

[DE]Rebecca

On some frames (frex Vauban) I only end up using 2 abilities anyway, so for those, it's a parity situation. For some other frames (frex Oberon), I like to have the flexibility of all 4 abilities equipped but I can't really justify the space....these changes solve that.

I give this change four skanas out of five.  The only way it could be more exciting is if we didn't lose 2 slots, but I can respect that this would be power-creepish.

That's just plain unfortunate. I had SEVERAL builds which required those extra slots which are being taken away. I usually only use one or maybe two of the warframe powers. I unequip the ones I won't be using so I don't accidentally trigger them. Then I forma those slots so they can be useful. Now I'm going to lose some of those slots and I'll be forced to equip things I will never use and will accidentally trigger ALL OF THE TIME.

(not to mention the fact now I have to go through and rebuild all of my existing warframe loadouts)

!!!PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE at least give us the ability to disable powers we're never going to use!!!!

Edited by mrecentric

Erm, but we can move polarities around, how will I know whether I Forma'd a slot which is staying or going?

On every frame I Forma'd away one ability and moved the three ability slots together, so I don't know which one I originally chose...

Why not?

If you Forma'd 1 or 2 ability slots you will keep those new polarities.

If you Forma'd a 3rd or 4th, reimburse Forma.

Seems more logical to me, but there of course may be practical issues I'm unaware of with the script needed to determine this.

Edited by Egg_Chen

I am not liking how you are going about this. In essence I am just losing a mod slot on my Frost, given that I currently have 2 ability slots forma'd and have an off-polarity mod in a third slot on half my builds. Taking away two slots does not boost customization, it reduces it.

What about my existing Ability Mods?

All existing Ability Mods won’t be rendered useless - they will be converted into Fusion Cores. Stay tuned for more information on the specifics of this conversion.

Oh boy... Last time I checked I had around 2,000 or more ability mods.

Can I keep some in a glass case in my Liset? Or maybe just a Codex dedicated spot for them?

If the formas for the 2 slots are being reimbursed, what about the time spent leveling back to 30 for those 2 formas?

Also, exactly which 2 slots will be removed and reimbursed? the first in each row, or the last in each row?

^This. I mean.. there are over 20 frames available ...

kinda anxious... i have most of my frames set up for one ability builds and i have 1 with a no ability build... so basically i'll be loosing out on at least 1 mod slot for a frame with a 1 skill build and 2 for the frame with the no skill build...

i hope i get to choose which slots to remove since i''ll have to replan my builds to fit the new system >_<

How will the expenditure of cores and mods used to rank up our current ability mods be handled? will we start with our abilities leveled to match our current mod level? I think this is a good implementation, just curious as to what will become of the time and resource expenditure we put into leveling our mods up. I have all the frames available in game, and that's a lot of work to re-level all of their abilities.

So I was a total idiot and sold 2100+ ability mods when I heard they were going to be removed from our inventory during the Livestream. Just read they'll be turned into fusion cores... 

4bLuDXg.jpg

EDIT: Figured a support ticket is worth a try... help! lol

EDIT 2: WF Support is awesome, thank you. I will try not to be so stupid in the future haha

Edited by 7.T.

What about sentinel and kubrow ability mods?

Cause frame ability mods wasn't the only thing clogging the mod drop pipes.

And also in name of consistency, it's obvious abilities on sentinels and kubrows should work the same way as frames.

Edited by 7grims

For those worried about their polarities....

Move your forma'd polarities from the typical Warframe ability slots and place them into the normal mod slots. There - you don't lose any of your "time spent".

After the change, simply move your polarities back to where you wanted them. Of course, if you went bat S#&amp;&#036; insane with forma and somehow have more than 8 polarities on one of your warframes, you'll have to go ahead and get reimbursed. But for those of us who've only forma'd a few times, this should work.

K we now have 9 slots....1 Aura and 8 other slots. Why do people have a problem? Before we had 1 aura 4 ability slots and 6 other slots. unless you have a build that uses no abilities on a warframe, I don't see how this is a loss. You have access to all your abilities and two extra slots to add any mod you want. If one of you can tell me why this is a bad thing, I'm all ears....or eyes...seeing that I'm reading xD

Do Sentinels and Kubrows get this change as well? Sentinels with their natural precepts and what not?

Warframe Ability Mods: Coming Changes

Equipping Warframe Abilities has undergone enormous change since our Closed Beta days. From Skill Trees to Ability Mod Cards, the systems surrounding equipping Abilities has seen its share of drastic changes. A new system is coming with our next major update, read on to learn about the next plan for Warframe Abilities!

To begin, let’s take a quick look at some dev philosophy:

Each Warframe has 4 unique abilities. The current Ability Mod system means players sometimes sacrifice an Ability (or more) in favour of a different mod, leaving a Warframe’s power set incomplete. The next phase of Warframe Abilities aims to maintain a complete Ability set for every Warframe that is based on progression, while offering more choice for modding. Fundamentally, this new system improves versatility without having to sacrifice any Abilities.

This is all going to happen in the following 2 ways:

1. Ability Mods are being removed from the drop tables.
  2. Ability Mods are being removed from the game.

Item Number 1 has been a long time coming and will feel unsurprising to many, but Item Number 2 is a relatively new decision we’re making for a number of reasons.

So what exactly does removing the Ability Mods entail? Read on, Tenno!

Unlock and Upgrade Abilities through play.  

Warframe Abilities will now be unlocked as you rank up your Warframe. The ‘Rank’ of Warframe Abilities will now be determined by your use of any given ability. Simply put: Using Abilities earns XP/Affinity toward that Ability to rank it up!

Let’s use Banshee as an example:

A Banshee player begins a mission with an unranked Sonic Boom. Banshee casts Sonic Boom 10 times in that mission, ranking the Ability from unranked to Rank 1. The journey to Rank 2 will involve more use of this Ability,.

NOTE: If you had already maxed or ranked Ability Mods, you will not be affected by this. This applies for newly acquired Warframes post Update 15.

NOTE 2: The number of casts required is subject to change and only an example in this context.

All Warframes will have 9 total Mod Slots.

Less is more. Many players look at their Warframe Upgrade screen and see 4 Ability Slots that taunt them as potential ‘wasted space’. This coming change will have the following result: you no longer have to fill those precious Mod Slots with Warframe Ability Mods. Because we are removing Ability Mods, we will also be adjusting the total number of Warframe Slots.

All Warframes will now have a total of 9 slots: 1 for Auras and 8 for Mods. None of the Mod Slots will have the “Ability Polarity" because of the removal of Ability mods. The 4 previous Ability Polarity slots have been changed to 2 unassigned slots.

What about my existing Ability Mods?

All existing Ability Mods won’t be rendered useless - they will be converted into Fusion Cores. Stay tuned for more information on the specifics of this conversion.

What if I Forma’d/Polarized the 2 slots being removed?

Any Forma spent on Polarizing these 2 slots will be reimbursed.

What if I Forma’d/Polarized the 2 Ability slots that are staying?

If you Polarized these slots, the Polarization choice will stay. If you did not Polarize these slots, they will have a default unassigned Polarity.

What if I Forma'd a slot that is staying to have no polarity?

Will I get a Forma back or do I just lose it?