Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Update 20] Octavia Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

A lot of us play with the 'music' volume at 0 or very low, to tone down the background ambient in-game so it doesn't drone out NPC dialog or sound effects. I know a lot of people hunting for caches etc. like to have it on 0.

Unfortunately - all of Octavia's abilities are tied to the music volume slider instead of the sound effects slider (like all other warframe abilities), so for some of us we weren't able to hear any of Octavia's abilities until figuring out that was the reason.

Mallet is pretty great, but only when somebody's shooting it, and half the time the enemies seem to ignore it. The roller is okay, but seems very random, and sometimes your death field just rolls off into the distance. Metronome is literally useless and Amp is... just there to amplify the mallet death field and give a decent buff, nothing all that impressive. Overall, very disappointing.

Fix the mallet aggro, give us some control over the rollers, drop metronome in favor of the amp and put something worthwhile in the fourth slot and maybe it won't feel like a waste of time.

This game is no longer about fighters that will die but finish their mission, now it's more like sonic the hedgehog and legend of zelda - kid friendly with 6 colour rainbow on the top, it's still 18+ though (although majority in NA and EU is like 10 yo kids). I'm not saying it's bad, but it's no longer a game I really enjoyed playing.

Edited by Harikusa

I've played her quite a bit since yesterday evening, and here is my major issue : Graphical problems.

Could we lower the graphical effect on Metronome ? I mean, I tried a rythmy music with 235% range, and ...

Spoiler

794400Octavia.jpg

Would be great to correct Metronome's buff on allies as well. I'm very happy to know they currently have a 25.83351135254% buff but ... I guess i'd be fine with a 26% indication.

Overall, the combo 1+2+4 seems too strong with heavy Range. I'm playing with 235% Range, 173% duration, 151% strength and 85% efficiency, and beyond the fact I can keep all 4 buffs at 100% uptime without any problem with her passive and Zenurik, my Resonator just draws agro from the full map. Damage scaling on the 1 is fine but combined with the 2, that seems complete overkill.

As my colleagues above, Metronome's buff is way too hard to get on purpose while playing. So I'm just using it at a musical stereo with sometimes one buff that arrives.

While we're at it, would it be possible de bring more than one music in mission ? Maybe a hold-3 would make you chose one of your 5 songs, and you hit 3 to play hit. Would bring some diversity. I only did several 20-waves of Hydron for pexing purposes, but I'm a bit afraid of a 2-hour Survival with Octavia and only one music.

To summarize : Lots of fun to play with her, very interesting warframe, love her dancing stances, but she might deserve some graphical tweak (Metronome) and some improvement.

I normally prefer frames like Frost, Atlas or Vauban. 

But I have a large vinyl collection with electronic music and Octavia seemed to be right up my ally. I bought her this morning, bought the sound packs and played with her ever since. My wife even joined me for two hours playing around with the composer. This thing is just great. Playing around with the differend sound packs is fun without end.

Then I took Octaviy multiple times into 10-20 rounds of Stöffler and 10-20 rounds Akad. Pure joy. I do always activated her abilities from left to right 1-2-3-4 and enjoyed the buff overload. Combined with bladed rounds and argon scope on the dex sybaris there were 6-8 concurent buffs to bring devastation to the enemies.

Shooting to the beat is strangely addicting and rewarding. Shooting to the beat totally brings me into a flow I had never experience in a shooter. I just wish I had not to reload.

I also think that she is more tanky than expected - nice! For survivability I only used vitality and steel fiber. Medi-ray had to heal 100-150 health every now and then but nothing was a real threat. 

Overall Octavia is unique and her abilties work together smoothly. I will play her a lot in the future.

Edited by k05h

- every ability from Octavia is timed. You need to keep recasting them ad infinitum. Please, make some of them a toggle.

- If you want to hear your full music... cast 1234, timer ends, recast 1234, timer ends, recast 1234

- when there are 2 Octavias together, musical hell, i already want to mute all even mine

- I suck at doing good music

- I want a "mute other Octavia players button" please. I already met one that bought the extra sound pack and made a death metal song, putting all possible dots with LOUD drums

My major Issues :

• Visuals (but it may be only up to my personal opinion)
  • #3 is wonky, even more with laggy hosts (and I am a laggy host)
  • If you want to use Octavia at her full potential, you will have to hear your song all the time, and 4 measures can become really, really repetitive after 5 defense waves...
  • the way she dances. I'm pretty much sure about the fact a battlefield is not a disco party

Otherwise, I think I enjoyed the frame. The buffs are cool, she looks badass, and I like experimental new things. I'd be glad if we were able to make slower songs with better audio quality instruments though.

19 hours ago, ShikiRen said:

Please give us the option to display the "beat indicator" around our aiming reticle, because that thing on the ground is completely unusable when not playing with melee weapons and even then it is hard to see exactly when to press the buttons. And the beat is too quiet to try and play it by ear.

The massive problem with her 3 isn't even that we don't have a beat indicator (which would fix it):

It's that you have to keep the beat, but your ping applies to the notes so it's basically impossible.

Just add a beat indicator of some sort to tell you when to do the actions or make the timing windows for them larger and it should be fine.

Mandachord:  would it be possible to add function that you can "hold" the note, like you click the node for 1 beat  or you drag over several notes to make the note "continuous"

i would like to make a part this song but without the possibilty to hold notes its quite hard 

My main issues with Octavia are that her 3 Timing is a bit off most of the time on fast musics, making it almost impossible to sync shots or crouch for the buffs

And her 4, Amp , despite  applying a "damage multiplier" like Rhino   roar in the abilities screen, it doesn't seems to affect the powers, which is  really sad,

if it's intended ,I'd like to see it changed so it affect powers, because we have already a lot of weapon damages buffers ( Eclipse mirage, Frost/Saryn/Ember/Volt with syndicate mods, Mesa, Rhino -  While only Rhino and Equinox can buff power dmg,  Rhino by dmg multiplier  like Octavia should imo,  and Equinox by pure Power Str Buff )

It could add more usefullness to the frame itself, which is fun indeed, but lack of real impact on a game compared on other Dmg dealers/Supports/CC frames.

PLEASE DE !!!!! Allow us to use an octave scale instead of pentatonic. Using pentatonic SEVERELY limits what the melody/bass is capable of. I understand the mandachord would be much larger with the added notes but that problem could be solved with the ability to zoom in and out similar to the map system. Another thing that would be helpful though not as needed as the octave notes is the ability to change the tempo. Right now, the only way to make a phrase of notes slower is to make the gap between them larger. However, there is only so much space you can put those notes. The ability to speed the tempo or slow it down can  help drastically in the amount of music you create. -Rhino

Edited by Rhino

Octavia is quite easy to play as all her powers are either deployed or auras. Making sure she has everything active and the ability to recast anytime helps keep her song constantly flowing through the battlefield (the passive helps greatly).

The depth of her gameplay rests with the individual player, to take advantage of Metronome and raise the sound level to max Amp. However, with the short playtime I still need practice to really optimize all buffs.

They've stated unequivocally that there won't be an ability to change the tempo because that way every Octavia's music plays in time. It avoids a cacophony when there are multiple in the same mission.

I don't know enough about music to guess why they used a pentatonic scale, but I imagine they tested other scales before settling on using it. Perhaps they will discuss it in a devstream.

6 hours ago, Methanoid said:

there at least should only be your own music playing if you are octavia and there are more in the team, otherwise you get a screen full of epilepsy flashing away and a non stop ear bleeding combination of noises.

That too, but since I'm NOT playing octavia I don't want to hear other peoples anyway

Totally like the frame.

She looks good, Moves good, and powers are good. e

She is easy to mod for atm. and fairly easy to play.

If i could magically change anything...

#1 Mallet I seem to keep want to use it like Vaubans Tesla, I keep wanting to through out multiples and have them stick to players an stuff.

#2 Resonator is cool It seems to follow me well throughout missions.Again I keep trying to through out multiples.It would be nice if we could refresh the timing on this thing but that would mess with the damage output. I am guessing.

#3 Metronome is a freakishly powerful ability, That is ridiculously hard to get the timing down on.This is my favorite power that she has but I cannot figure out the timing.

the wiki said just do one of the pre req's when the lights hit the center but it feels off for me .I am not sure if it is keyboard lag  or if the timing is just that unforgiving but I do know that I want to be able to execute these buffs better than the 15% of the time I am attempting them. I would rather be able to time them audibly so I wouldn't have to be looking at my feet and could be looking at the things trying to kill me. (I would just like it to be easier to execute the buffs)

#4 AMP It would be awesome if this were an aura that emanated from Octavia, but it is fine the way it is too.

All in All

Everything wants to work together and I think it does, not as well a Nidus but really close.The only real gripe I have personally is the timing on Metronome.If that become a viable power it will make her my favorite frame. At the moment though i can hardly pull off any of the buffs. I know I am hitting less than 20% more probably 10%.

Manda chord

I was waiting for this. This is uber cool. I bought all the sound packs and have spent as much time messing with this as I have leveling the frame.

It is simple to use, The UI is good no problems at all.

Yes of coarse I would want more options but I understand the difficulty of providing people with more options than what you have. IE minor keys and notes.

I keep gravitating towards trying to make riffs that sound like old Black Sabbath and White Zombie...but it just aint gonna happen with the toolset we have got....That's ok though

I am guessing in the future we will get different keys and scales to work with.

ps . Still hate limbo....At least in a squad. he isn't so bad solo.

1 hour ago, Syvarin said:

They've stated unequivocally that there won't be an ability to change the tempo because that way every Octavia's music plays in time. It avoids a cacophony when there are multiple in the same mission.

I don't know enough about music to guess why they used a pentatonic scale, but I imagine they tested other scales before settling on using it. Perhaps they will discuss it in a devstream.

Basically, it's hard to make pentatonic scales sound bad. It's why a lot of phone apps or children music toys use them. They wanted so that everyone could make decent sounding Octavia tracks since everyone has to listen to them and sometimes multiple layers of them. They "harmonize" well without much effort. If you're in a run with another Octavia and you're both playing music, it's not likely that it will sound too invasive with this current set up. 

While I do think this is the correct way to go about things, I do wish there was an option for the more musically inclined/willing to use the several other types. 

Edit: I would like the ability to link notes together into half or whole notes. 

Edited by SkyCakeLight