Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Something I don't understand about the syndicates.

(XBOX)Grihaly

So you work for one or two and make enemies with a couple others, the ones you're an enemy of, they send a dozen of their soldiers to fight you; certain death. Naturally you slaughter them like cattle, but a few months down the road the same syndicate will be like "yo! I got a job for you!" And they reward you for your effort... This makes no sense. Why is Suda okay with me working for her when she describes me as a "waste of space, and must be erased"? Same thing when that SM quest was out, I just don't understand how this works from a lore perspective.

I feel like it would make more sense to perform an extra mission to show that one shows interest in the quest if they are enemies with the syndicate. (Protecting the forest, saving the Myconians, and {I forgot what Octavia's Anthem's first quest goal was XD}). Just don't question it for now. :)

Edited by dashingbronze

Only reason its like this is because while you wouldn't be completely locked out of doing those quests, it would become a major hassle to switch around syndicates just to do their quests. (Eventhough you probably only need to get to neutral)

The Steel Meridian leader also thanks you everytime you finish off Kela. And it was an event, not a quest.

Edited by Madway7

We're mercenaries. We don't join a syndicate, we grovel up to them for shiny baubles they dangle in our faces. When push comes to shove, they'll temporarily overlook whatever beef they have with us, just like Grineer and Corpus when doing invasion missions. 

The syndicates are passive-aggressive crybabies, is pretty much what it boils down to.

It's exactly like high school, where they'll work with you on a project because they have to, but they'll still snipe your rep with the other students behind your back (or even to your face) just because they can.

16 minutes ago, Lakais said:

We're mercenaries. We don't join a syndicate, we grovel up to them for shiny baubles they dangle in our faces. When push comes to shove, they'll temporarily overlook whatever beef they have with us, just like Grineer and Corpus when doing invasion missions. 

Exactly this. They don't have to love us, but we are the best and they have a job to be done. Who else they can ask? Vor?

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)A Frikn Grizzly said:

This makes no sense.

Yes, it does not make any sense at all. If they treat you as an enemy and send someone to kill you, there is absolutely no reason for them to employ you.

Most likely DE did not want to bother coming up with multiple ways of obtaining same frames from different syndicates, so they thought to hell with the immersion.

it's so that anyone can do the quests, even if they are with another Syndicate, can you imagine the outcry if Nidus was locked to enemies of The Perrin Sequence? your Syndicate choices should NEVER affect your ability to obtain items; it's also why Syndicate weapons are Tradeable.

as @Lakais said, Tenno are Freelance, Lotus guides us where possible but we choose our own battles, usually based on payment, or when a faction is in need of us. we'll always help whoever pays highest, until we have to fight for our own survival, like in the Second Dream.

On 4/18/2017 at 1:58 PM, Lakais said:

I like this one, this makes sense :crylaugh: 

On 4/18/2017 at 11:51 AM, (Xbox One)A Frikn Grizzly said:

I just don't understand how this works from a lore perspective.

Ever hear of Gameplay and Story Segregation? (and I'm not sorry for sending people to TV Tropes)
Because do you know how bad it would be for DE to turn around and say "Well, since you're not allied with Suda you can't do the quest to get Octavia till you're best friends?"

It doesn't have to make a ton of sense from a pure lore stand point because its perfectly fine for gameplay mechanics to be separate from lore.
The lore doesn't have to tie into everything.

Does the dialog not change?  I remember Glast being desperate claiming he hated doing so but had no other choice then to ask for my help.  Can't remember what Loka did.  I think they requested a truce due to the importance of their discoveries and our mutual interest in them?

Edited by Callback

Meaby because it wouldnt be fair how you would have to grind standing with sindicate so you dont have to waste +200 plat to get a frame. Or to have all quests done. If you try to find some logic behind certain game mechanics you gonna get a headache.

On 18/04/2017 at 11:11 AM, ArcusVeles said:

The syndicates are passive-aggressive crybabies, is pretty much what it boils down to.

It's exactly like high school, where they'll work with you on a project because they have to, but they'll still snipe your rep with the other students behind your back (or even to your face) just because they can.

Wish we could destroy other syndicates.

5 hours ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

Wish we could destroy other syndicates.

Why? They're mostly beneath notice unless they've managed to get their hands on something new and shiny to catch your attention.

Anymore, I switch syndicates about as often as I change color schemes. Presently, I'm trying to get on as many good sides as possible to store widgets and affinity for the next PA feeding frenzy. This is to MY advantage. I couldn't care less what the syndicates themselves think about it. After all, what are they going to do about it? Send another dozen MOAs to be scrapped?

The syndicate quests are a slightly different matter. I usually try to repair the reputation of whatever syndicate DE is introducing a quest for. They telegraph it early enough it's not a big deal and it doesn't seem quite so hypocritical (not that this is anything new in any large organization) of the syndicate in question to be begging for my aid in whatever they've gotten up to. As long as whatever I'm doing it useful to me, I'm good to go.

And that is pretty much a definition of mercenary, but it's what we have at present. Also, I've always kept Hexis at max rank. Always--because them I actually could get on board with what they ostensibly represent.

Just now, Sloan441 said:

Why? They're mostly beneath notice unless they've managed to get their hands on something new and shiny to catch your attention.

Anymore, I switch syndicates about as often as I change color schemes. Presently, I'm trying to get on as many good sides as possible to store widgets and affinity for the next PA feeding frenzy. This is to MY advantage. I couldn't care less what the syndicates themselves think about it. After all, what are they going to do about it? Send another dozen MOAs to be scrapped?

The syndicate quests are a slightly different matter. I usually try to repair the reputation of whatever syndicate DE is introducing a quest for. They telegraph it early enough it's not a big deal and it doesn't seem quite so hypocritical (not that this is anything new in any large organization) of the syndicate in question to be begging for my aid in whatever they've gotten up to. As long as whatever I'm doing it useful to me, I'm good to go.

And that is pretty much a definition of mercenary, but it's what we have at present. Also, I've always kept Hexis at max rank. Always--because them I actually could get on board with what they ostensibly represent.

Because there are two I don't like.

Just now, RetiredEdgeLord said:

Because there are two I don't like.

There are several I don't particularly care for, but as long as they're occasionally useful, I'll work with them.

The rest of the time, well, they're beneath notice.