Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lanka's Voltage Sequence works only with Drone/Osprey enemies (now let's make it better)

Thundervision

Greetings!

Note: those players who's going to test it in Simulacrum or already did and it «didn't work», for some reason you need to die to make augment work there.

First of all, I'm a big Lanka fan so I was really hyped when its augment was teased which is:

latest?cb=20170506154048

+ Good CC for 8 seconds, incapacitates the enemies in ~8-10m the way a normal Arc Trap does.

+ Doesn't seem to have a limit of deployed mines: you can deploy several mines at once by killing packs of Ospreys with PT or Electricity/Gas proc for a greater effect.

+ Free RAD-proc and Shield restore

But what's the issue?

«A flying enemy» -- so, I can ragdoll enemies to the skies and shoot them down, or start a Space Program and abort it, OR simply make some new friendomines for Vauban by using his jump pads and Bastille? The answer is «nope!».

Well, you see, a «flying enemy» is not the one that was bounced up by Vauban's mine or affected by Titania's Spellbind. It's a single enemy class which is «Drone/Osprey», it doesn't even work on the Grineer units with jetpacks. Usage of this augment is basically limited to the Corpus and Infested factions:

The Corpus

• Leech Osprey
  • Mine Osprey
  • Oxium Osprey
  • Shield Osprey
  • Sapping Osprey

The Infested

• Mutalist Osprey
  • Venin Mutalist (TPD exclusive)
  • Mutalist Carrier (Infestation Excavation exclusive)

The Grineer

• Regulator (Grineer Settlement/Frontier exclusive; stationary)
  • Propaganda Drone (TLoR exclusive)
  • Orbital Strike Drone (TLoR exclusive)
  • Disruptor Drone (NM TLoR exclusive)
  • Sensor Regulator (Spy mission exclusive; and it doesn't even make sense to shoot it)

The Corrupted

• Shield Drone

So it's 80% of Corpus missions, 15% of Infested missions (Mutalist Osprey is still pretty common) and 3% of Grineer missions, since most of us already shoot down TLoR's drones on sight and CC all the things before they even get spawned, and Regulators on Earth and Grineer Settlements are stationary units so you have to lure the ground forces to make it work for you. And 2% of the Void.

It's not OK, isn't it?

Now what about the possible solutions.

Solution#1

Killing Machinery/Robotic enemy will make them drop an arc mine:

• 90% of the Corpus units: now including the MOA and Bursa (Sniper, Nullifier and Tech are still the most dangerous enemies, not even the Bursa)
  • Grineer's Rollers, Latchers (now these are pretty common enemies you see in missions).
  • Mutalist Osprey and Mutalist MOAs.
  • Corrupted MOAs and Shield Drones.

Solution#2

Killing an airborne enemy creates an arc mine from its remains. However, this time it can be any enemy in mid air: affected by frames powers, affected by ragdoll or when jumping down/up and, of course, Grineer units with jet packs.

added:

Solution#3

58 minutes ago, Azamagon said:

Another alternative would be to make it trigger the arc mine if the Lanka does a killing shot with a headshot / on a weakspot. That'd make it more versatile and feel more rewarding.

21 minutes ago, Phyrak said:

What about creating mine on headshot kill?

Promoting skilled gameplay with the augment and bringing it into across all factions 

Edited by Thundervision
added another idea for augment, thanks to fellow Tenno

22 minutes ago, D20 said:

Maybe it should get reworked so the effect triggers against any airborne enemies, no matter what its type is. It could lead to interesting combos with a few warframes like Vauban (Bastille lifts enemies up) or Titania (1st power).

31 minutes ago, Thundervision said:

Solution#2

Killing an airborne enemy creates an arc mine from its remains. However, this time it can be any enemy in mid air: affected by frames powers, affected by ragdoll or when jumping down/up and, of course, Grineer units with jet packs.

Well, he already suggested that. And I also agreed with it.

Another alternative would be to make it trigger the arc mine if the Lanka does a killing shot with a headshot / on a weakspot. That'd make it more versatile and feel more rewarding.

Further, regardless of the triggering function, the arc trap's lightning could also be boosted by the damagemods on the Lanka, so it's not JUST providing CC. After all, the modding is already tight on the gun (it needs critmods and preferably some rate of fire to be generally useable, along with basic damage/multishot/elemental), so shifting out a good mod for the augment should feel truly worthwhile, imo.

I've been testing it in L33 Exterminates vs Corpus.

The problems seem to be as follow:

* First off, flying things don't follow ANY laws of physics. They have no Inertia, they can fly one way, and then turn around and go the other way with no speed change INSTANTLY, and we have a gun with bullet travel time, so do the math.
* Sapping Ospreys, once they spot you, detach from the groups and come to you. The fact they turn into a "shock mine" is kind of moot, since they are doing it 20 meters away from me, and by then I am the one also sitting on an Osprey mine.

* The Lanka can already be loaded with 3 Dual Status mods, doing say, 80% Proc in Radiation and Electric, and if either goes off, bad things happen at that location without even shooting a flying unit with that Mod.

* If you are spending a ton of time lining up shots on flying units, even the guy behind you with a bow will get faster shots, and just kill it. Just had that with an Ivara using a Dread. Be both took really cool shots - and most of mine were actually shooting things behind cover - but we were both killing flying things. This gets MUCH worse when automatic fire is being used.

* EDIT: Also the fact that it fires "Sequence" is - I'm sorry - but kinda stupid. The effect is 25m radius, centered on me. I'm using a Sniper rifle, why the heck would I actually be within 25m of ANYTHING when I need to be zoomed in to even hit them? Yes, also does a shield thing, but I'm also shooting from 50+ meters away, not exactly getting hit, and if I was closer AND getting hit, I don't think a sniper rifle with charge time is the ideal weapon to use.

I think It's EXTREMELY situational. If it had an effect that worked on ALL mechanized units in some way - balanced of course - it would be AWESOME fun to use, but right now it's just an exercise in frustration just to see it actually fully work.

Edited by DSpite

10 hours ago, Thundervision said:

Well, you see, a «flying enemy» is not the one that was bounced up by Vauban's mine or affected by Titania's Spellbind. It's a single enemy class which is «Drone/Osprey», it doesn't even work on the Grineer units with jetpacks.

I was hoping the mod doesn't work like that when I first saw the description. This is just awful.

why not all of the above?

• on Weakpoint Kill.
    (are we specifically looking for what counts as a 'Head' to the game, or what gets the Head Crit Multiplier and therefore the desirable target for a Sniper Rifle? an example is that on standard MOA variants (Norm/Shockwave/Railgun), the 'Head' counts as the Head, however you only get a Weakpoint Crit on the Battery/Fanny Pack on the back of the MOA. which one in that situation? or both?)
  • on a Kill on any Enemy that is in the air.
    include Enemies that are in the process of using a Jump Point as well (i.e. Enemies that are jumping up/down from the scripted points that they're allowed to do so).

as a Lanka Enthusiast, i haven't even bought this Mod because i could see from the description that it was slightly worse than mediocre at best.

10 hours ago, Thundervision said:
  • Propaganda Drone (TLoR exclusive)
  • Orbital Strike Drone (TLoR exclusive)

(these are in the normal Vay Hek Boss fight too btw)

Edited by taiiat

Just simply make it proc on a killing headshot. Seems like the most general solution, cause finding random enemies that are airborne seems to have the same problem as finding flying ones.

Edited by Wreck_Dum

On 2017. 05. 07. at 10:31 PM, D20 said:

Maybe it should get reworked so the effect triggers against any airborne enemies, no matter what its type is. It could lead to interesting combos with a few warframes like Vauban (Bastille lifts enemies up) or Titania (1st power).

Would be great for rhino too.

Looks like making it work on a headshot kill seems to be the most reasonable and balanced way for augment to work.

Actually, can't believe I forgot about Borderlands's Gaige with her Shock Storm ability which is pretty similar to an idea: «Killing an enemy with a Critical Hit causes an Electric Storm, dealing Electrocute Damage to nearby enemies. Electrical Storms are also caused by Deathtrap whenever he kills an enemy».

On 08.05.2017 at 9:55 AM, taiiat said:

(these are in the normal Vay Hek Boss fight too btw)

Yeah, forgot about them 'cause they get destroyed on spawn most of the time, heheh.

4 hours ago, Thundervision said:

Yeah, forgot about them 'cause they get destroyed on spawn most of the time, heheh.

they actually spawn? I always thought vey hek just died of shock everytime phase 2 started >.<

(if phase 2 of a fight is infinitly easier/faster than phase 1 you designed a boss wrong)

6 hours ago, Ordosan said:

(if phase 2 of a fight is infinitly easier/faster than phase 1 you designed a boss wrong)

(i mean it wouldn't be if Players weren't grossly Overpowered and meaning Bosses all need to be invulnerable for Players to see them for more than two seconds)

• 1 month later...

I would absolutely LOVE this mod if the arc traps triggered on headshot kills instead of airborne-only enemies (or enemies made airborne, as per the alternative). I can already see this mod get a huge synergy with Mag and Harrow, since they have abilities that can guarantee a headshot. 

This mod really needs to get another lookover.

• 1 month later...
On 21.06.2017 at 0:48 AM, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

This mod really needs to get another lookover.

I think the only mod that got any attention and changes -- mostly for being bad & bugged(?) -- so far was Avenging Truth for Silva & Aegis. Probably thanks to YouTubers that provided some backlash via their videos and comments, and all it's got was a damage buff:

On 29.06.2017 at 6:00 AM, [DE]Megan said:

Buffed Avenging Truth’s stored damage to 20/30/40/50% from 10/15/20/25%.

And why am I replying months later in the first place? I honestly don't know. Probably because DE completely ignored all the feedback people have provided, and no matter how open they were to feedback they just re-released the same mods: May 4th was the day of Ambulas Reborn operation, June 29th was the day of Harrow update and Augments' return, today's July 26th. I doubt things are going to change in July 26th of 2018.

It's just sad to see that things will remain the same unless a huge backlash happens or DE getting pressured, then they suddenly are open to all the feedback and ideas, duh...

Edited by Thundervision

Probably when the Plains of Eidolon patch launches will we see anything get done with Sniper rifles, considering open world areas will be considered and that's where this weapon type will truly shine. Right now the sniper class is just a glorified semi-auto weapon type that doesn't necessarily excel semi-auto outside of the scope-crit mechanic, and even then the base stats for snipers don't really feel or complement very well with said mechanic.

Right now, with the tight layout on Corpus maps and Osprey spawn-rates, Voltage Sequence makes some sense. However in open world, the expanded space won't do much other than being a niche concept on the field.